24 hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Why didn't they check on him before 3hrs? I get that maybe they thought his symptoms were due to the vodka he said he'd had, but surely even drunk people can choke on their own vomit? And they have cameras in the cells.
Yeah, the lack of basic humanity was appalling. Surely you’d go in and clear the vomit and provide a bowl and some water at the very least?! I know he’d said he’d been drinking but he seemed confused from the point of arrest (well, the fact he’d wandered into someone’s house at random too but we didn’t see him do that) and didn’t appear to be acting drunk-confused, either.

Reactions: 10
Why didn't they check on him before 3hrs? I get that maybe they thought his symptoms were due to the vodka he said he'd had, but surely even drunk people can choke on their own vomit? And they have cameras in the cells.
They have as much of a duty of care to those who they believe to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs as any other detainee. And he was clearly confused/acting erratically.

I get that policing isn’t an easy job but when you have officers saying, with a straight face, that if you don’t get complaints you’re not doing it right particularly when it comes to matters concerning minority groups… words fail me.

Reactions: 13
They have as much of a duty of care to those who they believe to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs as any other detainee. And he was clearly confused/acting erratically.

I get that policing isn’t an easy job but when you have officers saying, with a straight face, that if you don’t get complaints you’re not doing it right particularly when it comes to matters concerning minority groups… words fail me.
Shocking that their tutor/mentor was telling the rookie cops that if you're not getting complaints you're not doing policing right!

I honestly have no words for this programme. It’s just showing us how bad policing actually is, they’re getting away with everything. Even the stop and search guy, he done nothing to even be stopped! And the poor guy with the bleed on the brain wow! I get that they may mistake him for being drunk but he asked for a nurse, I don’t see why they need to be told why first before they call her, especially when he’s already complained about head and neck pain several times.

I found tonight’s episode disgusting. All those amazing people from the community offering really objective viewpoints and everything was quite literally white washed. The guy that had an aneurysmi!!! Left lying in his vomit for 3 hours till a nurse takes one look at him and calls an ambulance. It was sickening viewing.
The alternating between the community leaders and the investigator on the first case really brought this home, it is shocking how blinkered the police were

Reactions: 7
Does anyone know why the episodes of 24 hours in police custody disappear off Channel 4? There always seems to be the same few episodes to stream. New ones will go up for a few days and then vanish?

Reactions: 6
I honestly don’t have much sympathy for the lady on the bus. She used her child as a shield and despite asking her numerous times to get off she refused.
I’m actually on the side of the police on this one.

The stop and search was out of order.

But the guy with the aneurysm was a truly difficult watch. They clearly thought he was just drunk and hind sight is a wonderful thing. But I wish they just had the nurse come and check him out. He could’ve died and all that would’ve been avoided by just letting the nurse give him a once over.
I do however disagree with his mum that this was a racial issue. This was police not having empathy for a “drunk” person

Reactions: 15
Does anyone know why the episodes of 24 hours in police custody disappear off Channel 4? There always seems to be the same few episodes to stream. New ones will go up for a few days and then vanish?
Perhaps legal issues or they're snapped up by other streaming services.

See id think the same as you if I didn’t know 100% that white people are so frequently not treated in the same aggressive manner by the police. My own mum, I’m not proud here, she’s a nasty piece of work, she was arrested, smashed up a cell, claimed she was having fits etc, absolutely vile to custody Sargents and she was never treated how any of those 3 were. They called a medic for her immediately despite her being absolutely fine to shout abuse at them.
Also you only have to read this post a few weeks back to how the attitude of a custody Sargent towards a murderer seemed overly nice. I’m white I may add, but I definitely see it a lot with how ethnic minorities and disabled people are treated appalling by the police compared to white people.

I honestly don’t have much sympathy for the lady on the bus. She used her child as a shield and despite asking her numerous times to get off she refused.

But the guy with the aneurysm was a truly difficult watch. They clearly thought he was just drunk and hind sight is a wonderful thing. But I wish they just had the nurse come and check him out. He could’ve died and all that would’ve been avoided by just letting the nurse give him a once over.
I do however disagree with his mum that this was a racial issue. This was police not having empathy for a “drunk” person

Reactions: 12
See id think the same as you if I didn’t know 100% that white people are so frequently not treated in the same aggressive manner by the police. My own mum, I’m not proud here, she’s a nasty piece of work, she was arrested, smashed up a cell, claimed she was having fits etc, absolutely vile to custody Sargents and she was never treated how any of those 3 were. They called a medic for her immediately despite her being absolutely fine to shout abuse at them.
Also you only have to read this post a few weeks back to how the attitude of a custody Sargent towards a murderer seemed overly nice. I’m white I may add, but I definitely see it a lot with how ethnic minorities and disabled people are treated appalling by the police compared to white people.
But then I can throw it back and say I've seen people of colour treated with kids gloves because the police didn't want to seem racist. I think both can be true. There are police who treat black people worse and there are police who are scared of offending. However my take was just on what I saw on this episode. For all I know they are all raging racists disguising themselves as doing their job

Reactions: 1

The woman on the bus was a dick. It seemed like she was rude to the bus driver, refused to get off the bus, the police were called and she used her baby as a shield ? Then got paid compensation ?

Reactions: 11

The lady on the bus was abusive to police, but removing someone (who hasn't paid a fare) from a bus should not involve physicality or pepper spray.

It could have been resolved in a different way.

Reactions: 9
I think it just runs a lot deeper than anyone realises. As a couple of the community leaders (and maybe the diversity lead?) pointed out, people of colour carry both the current and inter-generational trauma that racism causes. So they are more likely to react and defend themselves as a consequence and probably faster than someone else who doesn’t carry that trauma. And then they are perceived to be ‘angry black people’ and so they need to be even more on their guard to defend themselves the next time and so the cycle continues.

There is a current enquiry into the death in custody of Sheku Bayoh, police were called to him having a mental health episode and then he was so horrifyingly man handled (literally) by the police that he subsequently died. I think he was a tall guy, he was in the throes of a psychotic episode or something similar, the police report had said he may have been armed with a weapon, so yeah, a level of restraint was going to be needed for his own protection probably than anyone else. But, I’m also aware of plenty of white guys who have been in the throes of mental health crises who have had to be restrained and have fought against the restraint and have been armed and are still very much alive to tell the tale and unharmed by it. The years of investigation into his death uncovered that one of the attending PCs was so outwardly racist that his own family have spoken up to the enquiry about what a racist POS he was. Some people seem to see how people of colour behave as somehow being more dangerous, more erratic, more negative than we do a white person exhibiting and doing the very same things and it’s really not ok.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I really don't know how this is now possible to improve or make any meaningful changes on both sides, it feels impossible at the moment if this is going on behind the scenes at the police.

People will only start reacting differently if they can see a change in behaviour from the police (at all levels & IOPC) , which will take a very big swing from what we've seen here, & even then, it will take a long time to change the current perception.

All in a climate of cuts in forces & social care funding, this has surely now reached tipping point in what's expected of the police with the current level of resources, it's just impossible but nobody in power seems to want to tackle it. We'll have no worthwhile police force (or NHS, social & MH care etc., just take your pick!) if this carries on for too much longer.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
IMO the woman on the bus was just nasty and aggressive from the off. She threatened the police and then tried to use her child as a shield! I think she should be the one apologising to the police. Cannot believe the police attended for such a minor incident anyway. I dont think "we'll give you ten minutes to get off" would have worked and they would have had to get her off that bus in the end anyway. And why give her ten minutes? She hasnt paid her fare, she's making everyone else late and traumatising everyone around her, get off the bus!

The Rion case was terrible but, again, how on earth are the police supposed to know he's got an aneurysm? They pick him up after breaking into someone's house and peeing on the floor, he's acting strangely and says he's been drinking vodka, no doubt the police labelled him drunk/having some sort of mental health episode. shocking that they didnt check on him for so long. I bet most officers dont even know what an aneurysm is, let alone how to spot one. Im glad he made a good recovery, he seemed like a nice bloke.

• Sick
IMO the woman on the bus was just nasty and aggressive from the off. She threatened the police and then tried to use her child as a shield! I think she should be the one apologising to the police. Cannot believe the police attended for such a minor incident anyway. I dont think "we'll give you ten minutes to get off" would have worked and they would have had to get her off that bus in the end anyway. And why give her ten minutes? She hasnt paid her fare, she's making everyone else late and traumatising everyone around her, get off the bus!

The Rion case was terrible but, again, how on earth are the police supposed to know he's got an aneurysm? They pick him up after breaking into someone's house and peeing on the floor, he's acting strangely and says he's been drinking vodka, no doubt the police labelled him drunk/having some sort of mental health episode. shocking that they didnt check on him for so long. I bet most officers dont even know what an aneurysm is, let alone how to spot one. Im glad he made a good recovery, he seemed like a nice bloke.
I got the impression she paid in the end sfter an argument but the driver still wanted her off so I thought they should have just left her if she had paid but maybe I misunderstood the situation.

I do agree the with what you're saying on boy in custody , it must be hard watching back the cctv knowing what your son was going through but like you said they obviously assumed he was drunk however I do think she should have got the nurse alot sooner though and was he left with his own sick for hours? I missed them saying that.

Reactions: 8
I got the impression she paid in the end sfter an argument but the driver still wanted her off so I thought they should have just left her if she had paid but maybe I misunderstood the situation.

I do agree the with what you're saying on boy in custody , it must be hard watching back the cctv knowing what your son was going through but like you said they obviously assumed he was drunk however I do think she should have got the nurse alot sooner though and was he left with his own sick for hours? I missed them saying that.
CCTV showed it was three hours from when he was sick until he was actually found and removed

Reactions: 4