2020 Brides & Corona, the hiccup we didn't plan for....

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I didn’t realise this thread existed. I was getting married late August and would have been 7 days before my 30th birthday, so our reception was a joint birthday celebration for me too. I was hoping that even though the wedding has now postponed until next year (our own choice we have a lot of over 70s and a big wedding party that we wouldn’t like to part with) I would still be able to perhaps have a small birthday get together. I know its selfish and silly to be focusing on that stuff....it just seems like everything we have been looking forward to has been taken and it’s just a weird time. This Friday would have been the first day of my Hen Do 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I didn’t realise this thread existed. I was getting married late August and would have been 7 days before my 30th birthday, so our reception was a joint birthday celebration for me too. I was hoping that even though the wedding has now postponed until next year (our own choice we have a lot of over 70s and a big wedding party that we wouldn’t like to part with) I would still be able to perhaps have a small birthday get together. I know its selfish and silly to be focusing on that stuff....it just seems like everything we have been looking forward to has been taken and it’s just a weird time. This Friday would have been the first day of my Hen Do 😢
That’s crap @Hayles1990 :( I reckon by then you might be able to have a small birthday party. Fingers crossed for you.

We postponed from May to October. Events such as the London marathon being rescheduled for early October and a few concerts are giving me hope atm

We postponed from May to October. Events such as the London marathon being rescheduled for early October and a few concerts are giving me hope atm
I’m getting married In October too 😀 already started cutting my guests down too 😂 cancelled those who are elderly and coming in from abroad x

I got engaged late last year, was just about to start planning when all this happened (we were thinking abroad with nearest and dearest) after having time to stop and think I've realised I actually hate going on group holidays (so I dont really want to sort of host one) and I just want a fuss free affair tbh. I've decided registry office with about 10 of us then were going to plan a party afterwards for everyone to join us and celebrate. I've just bought my wedding dress off asos for £55 🤣
I bought my dress off ASOS, 20 quid 😂 we didn’t need a huge wedding and just had a party in the back garden of my in-laws with 120 guests. The actual ceremony was at a registry office with about 30 guests. I live abroad so all my family came over for our wedding.
And we celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary yesterday!

Hi! Didn't know this thread was here.

Another one who has postponed from may to October now Halloween!

Not quite the cherry blossom spring wedding I was hoping for. My bridesmaids are going to be cold I've told them to pretend it's May and if I have to cart about a cherry blossom tree I will 😂.

Hope everyone is doing ok and tbh don't beat yourself up about insurance I got it years ago and it doesn't look like it'll cover me anyway.

Supposed to be going to Singapore and Thailand for the honeymoon 2/11/20 so we'll see if that actually happens. With direct line insurance for that do hopefully they'll be more reasonable.

I've been invited recently to a wedding beginning of October with 200 people - the bride is a relatively good friend of mine and is convinced it will happen because the marathon can happen, but I just dont know how comfortable i'd feel being in a room of 200 people:confused: I know things will maybe be different by then but i cant see how we can all stay safe

Can I join? Not a bride but a wedding coordinator here! I have been in this industry for over a decade so it is very weird not having any weddings.

Really hoping I can be back at work. So far late September onwards is holding on but if social distancing is still in place we may postpone those too.

Not a fun time at all for anyone. If I can give any advice all I will say is keep communicating with all your suppliers xx

Reactions: 4
My wedding's on the 29th August and we absolutely will not cancel. It really grinds my gears people saying how selfish couples are for not postponing/cancelling, as if we're forcing anyone to go. I don't live with my fiancé and we want to start building our future together. If anything, covid has proven how unexpected life can be and how we can't take anything for granted.
Postpone for next year, when it's very likely things will be the same? Who knows if we'll even be here next year?
We're waiting to hear how many people we can invite. It'll be in the coutryside by the water at sunset time and we plan on having everything outside, so nobody has to be indoors. When guests are invited, they can either accept or decline and we'll obviously completely understand if people prefer mot to go, but we'll definitely not put our lives on hold until the time comes when covid will completely go away, when more and more experts are saying it might never go away.
So yeah, instead of calling couples selfish for wanting to live life and start building their future together, decline the invitation, period.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
My wedding's on the 29th August and we absolutely will not cancel. It really grinds my gears people saying how selfish couples are for not postponing/cancelling, as if we're forcing anyone to go. I don't live with my fiancé and we want to start building our future together. If anything, covid has proven how unexpected life can be and how we can't take anything for granted.
Postpone for next year, when it's very likely things will be the same? Who knows if we'll even be here next year?
We're waiting to hear how many people we can invite. It'll be in the coutryside by the water at sunset time and we plan on having everything outside, so nobody has to be indoors. When guests are invited, they can either accept or decline and we'll obviously completely understand if people prefer mot to go, but we'll definitely not put our lives on hold until the time comes when covid will completely go away, when more and more experts are saying it might never go away.
So yeah, instead of calling couples selfish for wanting to live life and start building their future together, decline the invitation, period.
I agree with this - I dont wish for my friend to cancel, but she seems to be not very understanding that people aren't prepared to travel across the country to what she has admitted herself a small indoor venue :confused: You seem very understanding but unfortunately i suspect many people will take grievance to their friends declining the invitation, putting people in a sticky situation

I think I was the one who mentioned the word selfish.

You sound like you're going about it in the right way - having your event outside, waiting to see how many people you can invite, being understanding if people decline the invite.

In my situation, the couple were table planning for 100 guests yesterday, which just seems bonkers to me.

Reactions: 1
If couples get upset/angry when their guests decline the wedding invitation, then that's completely silly/immature of them. It is a scary world we live in nowadays, with an invisible enemy that can be anywhere, so it's completely understable that people don't feel comfortable attending weddings.
A very close family member of mine was so thrilled when we got engaged back in January and was one of the first people to say he'd go to our wedding in August, but he sadly passed away by Easter.
Life is too short, so we really have to make the most of it and do our best to adjust to our new covid reality and live life. 😊😊

• Heart
We have 70 day guests planned for our wedding in October (postponed from May), I am well aware there could be number caps on events still so hoping people are understanding if we have to say to them sorry but you will not be able to come. I don't want to postpone our wedding again, I know people are now having troubles postponing their weddings to 2021 as the registrars don't have enough people to cope with demand so people are having to have their ceremonies at 4pm or get married on a weekday. Plus I just want to marry my partner we will have been together almost eleven years by then.

I've been invited recently to a wedding beginning of October with 200 people - the bride is a relatively good friend of mine and is convinced it will happen because the marathon can happen, but I just dont know how comfortable i'd feel being in a room of 200 people:confused: I know things will maybe be different by then but i cant see how we can all stay safe
I very much doubt she will be allowed 200 by then
I’m reckoning 50 by then and that’s if we’re lucky

Totally with you on this one , even if I have to get married with 2 witnesses by October then I’ll do that
For me my wedding isn’t about whose gonna be there or not guest wise, like you I don’t live with my fiancé and unable to live together until married so for me getting married is about starting our lives together and not having a big fancy oh look at me wedding

• Heart
Reactions: 6
We were supposed to be getting married beginning of April. Then our venue straight cancelled on us and informed us they were keeping 80% of our payment! Since then we have been back and forth jumping through hoops with wedding insurance who took a month to say they wouldn’t pay. We have spoken to the venue at length asking/pleading for our money back, they have been in the media BBC, Daily Fail etc, threatened with the CMA, Which and yet still won’t budge and have our money. We have lost thousands. Now getting sorted to take them to court. All my suppliers have either refused a refund of deposit (despite that being unlawful and that I have no date to reschedule) or are just ignoring me. I’m trying to think of the bigger picture, what people are going through with being ill, dying. A wedding is nothing compared to that. But it’s been very stressful 😩 I feel for you who are still waiting to see if yours will happen soon, I can’t imagine the stress it’s causing you.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
That’s awful I’m so sorry @YoungHollywood. Would the venue not let you reschedule? How can they justify keeping all that money and providing you with no services?

That’s awful I’m so sorry @YoungHollywood. Would the venue not let you reschedule? How can they justify keeping all that money and providing you with no services?
Originally just an outright cancellation. They would let us reschedule with a £1k free bar thrown in if we got our money back through insurance 🤣 so they were hoping to keep our 80% for nothing and then get us to rebook, double money for them. Then when they realised insurance was unlikely to pay they said we could only rebook for this year or a weekday (mon- Thursday) April next year but it would be same cost as what we had paid for a Saturday wedding!Even if either option was acceptable, the way they had treated us and stolen our money meant we wouldn’t rebook anyway

• Wow
  • Sad
Originally just an outright cancellation. They would let us reschedule with a £1k free bar thrown in if we got our money back through insurance 🤣 so they were hoping to keep our 80% for nothing and then get us to rebook, double money for them. Then when they realised insurance was unlikely to pay they said we could only rebook for this year or a weekday (mon- Thursday) April next year but it would be same cost as what we had paid for a Saturday wedding!Even if either option was acceptable, the way they had treated us and stolen our money meant we wouldn’t rebook anyway
That is scandalous! What a shameless and disgusting company / venue. I hope the courts wipe the floor with them!!!! Disgusting behaviour.

Me too! That’s really crap, I hope their name gets dragged through the mud. I certainly wouldn’t want to book a wedding at a venue or use a supplier who would treat paying customers like that!

Oh wow I’m so grateful for this thread - really helps knowing you’re not alone!
We were meant to be in two weeks time - we had everything sorted, but took the decision end of March to postpone to June21. The little milestones make me a bit sad - should have beens etc, but I find I’m way more chilled about the actual day. If guests want to be there, they will, it’s about us not them, etc.
I just hope my loved ones come through happy and healthy to see it with us.