Zanna Van Dijk

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wonder what her friend Venetia Falconer, who has been very outspoken about why LFW goes entirely against everything sustainable fashion is about, thinks of Zanna showcasing there...

Reactions: 5
Her latest rant makes me laugh so hard. She's right, none of us are perfect. The difference is we don't go around telling people about how great we are for trying or how you should buy one of my products because I'm just doing such wonderful work. The difference is we all go quietly along doing our stuff, as much as we can, without preaching and cashing in, banging on about it and elevating ourselves. Her ego is enormous. The difference is we are living in a real world, not constantly writing about ourselves. The thing that annoys me most about these self promoting egos, is that they put themselves in the public domain then moan about the fact that not everyone likes them. There's an online parliamentary protest to address trolling. They would like to silence people who criticise and don't agree with everything they do. We are haters because we criticise and question. It's pathetic. They have freedom of speech as do we all. They just don't like hearing other people's opinions. Nobody is threatening them, just questioning them. You can please all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time. Zanna needs to grow up and realise that. Stop moaning, nobody cares!

Reactions: 4
I wonder what her friend Venetia Falconer, who has been very outspoken about why LFW goes entirely against everything sustainable fashion is about, thinks of Zanna showcasing there...
Agreed! I do think about this a bit. I genuinely think Venetia is one of the very few Instagrammers actually practising what she preaches (but also managing to not be too preachy about it). Zanna would do well to listen to her.

Happy Monday for Zanna! Leaving Nat once again to take care of Stay Wild Swim on her own as she swans off somewhere super important no doubt.

Reactions: 1
I used to like Zanna and to a certain extent still do but was very uncomforatble on her "humble brag" about Anna Wintour talking with. About how she "never bigs herself up" - isn't that what she always does. And has mentioned recently again how she "never does"

Reactions: 2
I used to like Zanna and to a certain extent still do but was very uncomforatble on her "humble brag" about Anna Wintour talking with. About how she "never bigs herself up" - isn't that what she always does. And has mentioned recently again how she "never does"
She is constantly bigging herself up and patting herself on the back for all the great work she does and how much she "gives back" to her fans. I feel similar to you, I really used to like her, and I want to like her - she's a bit weird, she's not particularly good looking, and she has a very annoying voice and speech impediment. All things that I think actually make her quite likeable, are endearing qualities in some ways, and which are some of the reasons I'm really rooting for her - she's not a super polished barbie doll.

I think one of her biggest issues is she constantly refers to any criticism as 'trolling'. I've liked so many of her posts in the past, although don't tend to like them now, and have never left a negative or even questioning comment on anything she's posted. I joined this forum because I'm super eco conscious (sorry for patting myself on the back here but at least I don't have a blog or run an instagram telling everyone how great I am) and it is really disheartening and frustrating to see someone constantly representing sustainability so poorly.

There are of course tonnes of bloggers out there doing very damaging things to the environment, and yes, I think they really need to change their behaviour, but at least they aren't misrepresenting what it is to be sustainable.

Her latest blog post admits her hypocrisy, and that is a good, honest thing to be clear about. I totally agree with her - we don't need a handful of people to do things perfectly, we need billions of people doing sustainability imperfectly.

HOWEVER, there is a big difference between what is imperfect for the average person (buying food in plastic because they don't live near a farmer's market or can't get to a refill shop and perhaps taking one short-haul flight a year on holiday or to see family) and Zanna's level of 'imperfection' which is taking many flights per month and still trying to present herself as a sustainability blogger. I get that people need to travel for work, sometimes it's unavoidable, and there will be a lot of people (myself included) who sometimes have to fly for work when I would much rather take the train but time and money just don't allow for it.

The difference is that I'm not encouraging 287K people to also fly as much as I do. I'm not posting endless pictures and 'guides' on a website and Instagram page that aim to get other people to book unsustainable flights. Most people travelling for work aren't asking 10 people to come with them on a 'retreat', they're just quietly doing their thing. It doesn't matter if they all pick up 10 pieces of rubbish whilst they're there - it pails in comparison to the emissions from their flights. Why can't she do retreats in the UK or nearby countries? And then encourage only the people who can travel there sustainably to join her?

I think she has fundamentally misunderstood the impact that her advocacy for unsustainable and frivolous travel has on the environment. She tries to talk about sustainability whilst encouraging as many people as possible to take unsustainable and damaging actions. That's absolutely not the same level as most normal people's imperfections. And trying to claim that she's still being sustainable in her life will make so many thousands of people following her think that it's okay for them to take 20+ flights a year as long as they buy an organic fruit and veg box. At least the bloggers not even talking about sustainability aren't pretending that they are somehow saviours of the planet.

I think if her travel blogging was worthwhile then I wouldn't feel quite as strongly. Say it had a real focus on the socio-political context of a region, was actually educational or informative, or really delved into the culture of a location rather than just being a photo opportunity and another destination ticked off the list. But she writes really banal 'guides' with all of the same info that you could find anywhere else online.

Does anyone else think both Sea Shepherd and the Rainforest Alliance have been duped into having her as an ambassador? Her actions and values just don't align with them at all. How can she possibly be a credible advocate for them?

Sorry for the long rant! Just someone feeling incredibly disheartened by the lack of care that so many 'eco-influencers' really have for the planet and how damaging this is going to be in the long run for everyone.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
She is constantly bigging herself up and patting herself on the back for all the great work she does and how much she "gives back" to her fans. I feel similar to you, I really used to like her, and I want to like her - she's a bit weird, she's not particularly good looking, and she has a very annoying voice and speech impediment. All things that I think actually make her quite likeable, are endearing qualities in some ways, and which are some of the reasons I'm really rooting for her - she's not a super polished barbie doll.

I think one of her biggest issues is she constantly refers to any criticism as 'trolling'. I've liked so many of her posts in the past, although don't tend to like them now, and have never left a negative or even questioning comment on anything she's posted. I joined this forum because I'm super eco conscious (sorry for patting myself on the back here but at least I don't have a blog or run an instagram telling everyone how great I am) and it is really disheartening and frustrating to see someone constantly representing sustainability so poorly.

There are of course tonnes of bloggers out there doing very damaging things to the environment, and yes, I think they really need to change their behaviour, but at least they aren't misrepresenting what it is to be sustainable.

Her latest blog post admits her hypocrisy, and that is a good, honest thing to be clear about. I totally agree with her - we don't need a handful of people to do things perfectly, we need billions of people doing sustainability imperfectly.

HOWEVER, there is a big difference between what is imperfect for the average person (buying food in plastic because they don't live near a farmer's market or can't get to a refill shop and perhaps taking one short-haul flight a year on holiday or to see family) and Zanna's level of 'imperfection' which is taking many flights per month and still trying to present herself as a sustainability blogger. I get that people need to travel for work, sometimes it's unavoidable, and there will be a lot of people (myself included) who sometimes have to fly for work when I would much rather take the train but time and money just don't allow for it.

The difference is that I'm not encouraging 287K people to also fly as much as I do. I'm not posting endless pictures and 'guides' on a website and Instagram page that aim to get other people to book unsustainable flights. Most people travelling for work aren't asking 10 people to come with them on a 'retreat', they're just quietly doing their thing. It doesn't matter if they all pick up 10 pieces of rubbish whilst they're there - it pails in comparison to the emissions from their flights. Why can't she do retreats in the UK or nearby countries? And then encourage only the people who can travel there sustainably to join her?

I think she has fundamentally misunderstood the impact that her advocacy for unsustainable and frivolous travel has on the environment. She tries to talk about sustainability whilst encouraging as many people as possible to take unsustainable and damaging actions. That's absolutely not the same level as most normal people's imperfections. And trying to claim that she's still being sustainable in her life will make so many thousands of people following her think that it's okay for them to take 20+ flights a year as long as they buy an organic fruit and veg box. At least the bloggers not even talking about sustainability aren't pretending that they are somehow saviours of the planet.

I think if her travel blogging was worthwhile then I wouldn't feel quite as strongly. Say it had a real focus on the socio-political context of a region, was actually educational or informative, or really delved into the culture of a location rather than just being a photo opportunity and another destination ticked off the list. But she writes really banal 'guides' with all of the same info that you could find anywhere else online.

Does anyone else think both Sea Shepherd and the Rainforest Alliance have been duped into having her as an ambassador? Her actions and values just don't align with them at all. How can she possibly be a credible advocate for them?

Sorry for the long rant! Just someone feeling incredibly disheartened by the lack of care that so many 'eco-influencers' really have for the planet and how damaging this is going to be in the long run for everyone.
Very eloquently put addressing the issues no doubt many on here feel. I also feel a few companies who court her will catch on soon. Her value as either a sustainable or travel blogger are poor in comparison to others who just do their own thing but don't preach about it. I follow "wheresmollie" who is a friend of both Zanna and Steph Elswood and find her blog much more visually stimulating and entertaining and not so in your face in terms of product bashing. She just seems to live her life and if opportunity comes along she takes it rather than bashing it to death with the half-baked ads and constantly trying to flog second rate products. As a shopper the last thing I'd buy is something those two recommended, on principal alone. After all, a swimsuit made from recycled plastic is still plastic with a £125 price tag. Who can afford that, a tiny minority. It's very easy to rant about her. Bottom line, she's an unscrupulous hypocrite.

I think this speaks for a lot of us. As I've said before I think her aimless attempts to gain engagement such as the IF challenge are very dangerous and shouldn't fit with her as brand.

I understand everyone is different and we all have different capabilities etc. but in her insta story workout today shes only deadlifting 30kg and she looks wrecked?? She's been working out almost every day for years surely she can lift more than that? Just makes me think she only looks strong because she has zero body fat, probably either from excessive HIIT training or not eating enough food to actually build muscle.

I think she posted recently about having mixed up her workouts. She's not focussing on weightlifting as much anymore and is incorporating cardio and other workouts into her routine so I guess it makes sense that she might be lifting less than she used to.

Also really interesting to note that she's posted on Instagram today saying she's going to the climate strike on her own because none of her friends are going. Venetia and Max definitely are going - seems like they are no longer friends with her? Would make sense given how she advertises and does the opposite of what Venetia and Max are all about (and Venetia definitely threw shade on Zanna in her latest Instagram video with the comments about flying). I love how she's not afraid to stand by what she preaches and to call out others for hypocritical behaviour.

Also great photo opp for eco queen Zanna no doubt, even if she'll probably only be there for a few minutes.

I understand everyone is different and we all have different capabilities etc. but in her insta story workout today shes only deadlifting 30kg and she looks wrecked?? She's been working out almost every day for years surely she can lift more than that? Just makes me think she only looks strong because she has zero body fat, probably either from excessive HIIT training or not eating enough food to actually build muscle.
I dont follow her but didnt she have to stop training for a long period or at least lower impact because of her surgery

Also really interesting to note that she's posted on Instagram today saying she's going to the climate strike on her own because none of her friends are going. Venetia and Max definitely are going - seems like they are no longer friends with her? Would make sense given how she advertises and does the opposite of what Venetia and Max are all about (and Venetia definitely threw shade on Zanna in her latest Instagram video with the comments about flying). I love how she's not afraid to stand by what she preaches and to call out others for hypocritical behaviour.

Also great photo opp for eco queen Zanna no doubt, even if she'll probably only be there for a few minutes.
Just watched Venetia's video.. :LOL: there are a few things that definitely sound like shade towards Zanna!

Oh well done Zanna, give yourself yet another big pat on the back, you attended the climate strike march yesterday, glad you managed to attend that before you and Ant jet of to South America on yet another holiday, number 23451 this year, well done you hypocrite 😡

Oh well done Zanna, give yourself yet another big pat on the back, you attended the climate strike march yesterday, glad you managed to attend that before you and Ant jet of to South America on yet another holiday, number 23451 this year, well done you hypocrite 😡
Just a bunch of brainwashed hypocrites who care so much for the environment this was the condition they left Hyde Park in yesterday ...
0AEEA642-D187-4617-BCBB-EEFD080DF5DE.jpeg

Is that single use plastic bottles I spy there. She may have not left her crap behind but displays the same lack of care for the environment with her excessive travel. They make me sick! They clearly can't see how ridiculous they look!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just a bunch of brainwashed hypocrites who care so much for the environment this was the condition they left Hyde Park in yesterday ...
View attachment 42846

Is that single use plastic bottles I spy there. She may have not left her crap behind but displays the same lack of care for the environment with her excessive travel. They make me sick! They clearly can't see how ridiculous they look!
Swear that’s an old picture...sure I saw it early on in the summer for another event

Just checked and it is an old photo. It’s from a 4/20 event. Also checked that guys Twitter and he seems like a right c u next Tuesday

Don't forget a trip to California and then a short visit to Madrid first!

But its for work purposes as Zanna is such a workaholic waking up at 4am everyday and not stopping till midnight she is just so successful and causes a lot of good in the world so we should follow and trust everything she says

Oh yes how can I forget them, 2 more to add to her ever increasing list.

But she will off set them I'm sure by beach cleaning in California, and using her metal straw and reuseable cup in Madrid. Then her 6,000 mile carbon footprint for 2 flights won't matter.

Not sure how she can ever off set the other 80,00000000 miles she's traveled this year, but it's Zanna so alls well with the world.

When will she learn that you can't just stick 'disclaimer' on something and think that makes it all okay that you post about totally contradictory things (flying and sustainability)? Why has she gone on THREE separate trips to California this year? Just go once and get all the content you need.

Carbon offsetting does NOT make it okay to fly as much as she does. Emissions from planes enter the atmosphere immediately and stick around for a bloody long time. Trees take years to grow, especially to a level where they will absorb enough carbon to actually make a difference. Carbon offsetting is really like adding fuel to the fire burning your house burn down whilst paying someone else to dig a well. But hey, who am I to preach? Zanna surely already knows this given that sustainability is a "huge passion" of hers and an "integral element" of her brand.

When will she learn that you can't just stick 'disclaimer' on something and think that makes it all okay that you post about totally contradictory things (flying and sustainability)? Why has she gone on THREE separate trips to California this year? Just go once and get all the content you need.

Carbon offsetting does NOT make it okay to fly as much as she does. Emissions from planes enter the atmosphere immediately and stick around for a bloody long time. Trees take years to grow, especially to a level where they will absorb enough carbon to actually make a difference. Carbon offsetting is really like adding fuel to the fire burning your house burn down whilst paying someone else to dig a well. But hey, who am I to preach? Zanna surely already knows this given that sustainability is a "huge passion" of hers and an "integral element" of her brand.
She does her "job" because her justification for shitting on the planet knows no bounds! It's actually comical 😂 I continue to watch her for the laughs.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.