Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, but maybe some of you have advice on how to be better about it?

I tend to "safe" some items like a perfume, or a lotion, etc for an event or similar, instead of using them every day or at least regularly. And then very often when such an event comes around, I'm not using it as I'm then worried I haven't used it in a long time, so that I'm not sure if I'm applying it nicely, whether it'll work with my foundation, etc. so essentially I'm in a deadlock of not using stuff due to waiting up for an occasion and then not using it because I stick to my regular things.
I don't know why I keep doing this, I'm annoyed by myself about it. I get e.g. wearing a certain perfume only for special occasions, but I've caught myself not using conditioner and that's getting pretty stupid.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, but maybe some of you have advice on how to be better about it?

I tend to "safe" some items like a perfume, or a lotion, etc for an event or similar, instead of using them every day or at least regularly. And then very often when such an event comes around, I'm not using it as I'm then worried I haven't used it in a long time, so that I'm not sure if I'm applying it nicely, whether it'll work with my foundation, etc. so essentially I'm in a deadlock of not using stuff due to waiting up for an occasion and then not using it because I stick to my regular things.
I don't know why I keep doing this, I'm annoyed by myself about it. I get e.g. wearing a certain perfume only for special occasions, but I've caught myself not using conditioner and that's getting pretty stupid.
I used to do this too until I emptied my mum's house after she died. All those lovely things, crockery, cutlery, sheets, clothes, makeup all in pristine condition. It just made me sad. I now use what I kept of hers every day, the dishes and cutlery for everyday meals. And I use my makeup and perfume up and wear my nice clothes to the pub. You never know what's around the corner.

Use your 'good' stuff in good health and enjoy it.

• Heart
Reactions: 52
Thank you @Sheeeet! I'm sorry for the loss of your mum, but I do like that you're now using her best items everyday, that's lovely!
BF and I did get some very fancy glasses from BF's granddad after he passed away - some of them still had stickers on them and were clearly never used in the thirty or forty years since their purchase. We like using them just so sometimes!

I realized that my post sounds like I'm hoarding stuff - I actually have relatively little and that makes it even more stupid to me, I keep rebuying the very ordinary things and then I keep a bottle of lotion around for forever...

Reactions: 8

Use it use it use it! So often in the past I saved stuff for best or a special occasion only to find it had gone out of fashion or gone off (perfume and cosmetics especially) or didn’t fit or suit me anymore. Use it, enjoy it and have the memory. One of the saddest stories I heard was someone my mum knew many years ago who was given a bottle of champagne to celebrate her son’s birth. She decided to save it for his 21st birthday which sadly never happened as he was killed in a motor cycle accident aged just 19.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

I used to do this too until I emptied my mum's house after she died. All those lovely things, crockery, cutlery, sheets, clothes, makeup all in pristine condition. It just made me sad. I now use what I kept of hers every day, the dishes and cutlery for everyday meals. And I use my makeup and perfume up and wear my nice clothes to the pub. You never know what's around the corner.

Use your 'good' stuff in good health and enjoy it.
Honestly I’m in same boat hoarding lively things got “special” occasions that might never happen. So I’m having a massive declutter and clear out. The amount of times we see beautiful things left because someone saved them. My friends grandparents saved loads of money for retirement. They planned to go on cruises and see the world in style. Yet they both passed without it happening. The family have used the inheritance to travel, attend courses and just do things that bring them joy. My friends mum built a beautiful greenhouse. Because life is made up of loads of tiny mundane moments and we should try to make those as joyous as possible x

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Just dyed my eyebrows for the first time and look like James Nesbit now. Thank god for over sized sunglasses! I’m hoping they’ll fade a bit!

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Just dyed my eyebrows for the first time and look like James Nesbit now. Thank god for over sized sunglasses! I’m hoping they’ll fade a bit!
I find they fade after I've put all me acids and oils on at night!
I look absolutely furious after a brow appointment!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Absolutely LOVE reading through this thread, so many tabs open for exploring!
I decided that when I turned 30 I was going to take taking care of myself more seriously and it's a game changer for how I approach everything now.

One of the absolute best things is getting a keratin treatment done (saw a few people thinking about it - couldn't recommend more!) my hair is down to my lower back, curly at the root and frizzy all over. I used to take 20-30 mins to dry it every day and then another 20 to straighten and I'd still end up with it tied up within an hour. Now, it maybe takes me 15-20 mins to dry and I literally do not need to straighten it, and haven't for nearly 2 months. I wanted a de-frizz above all but I'd say if you don't want to commit to straight hair as your everyday state then maybe look at something else - a revlon hot brush is pretty brilliant at smoothing frizz as you dry but keeping volume if you're a frizzy textured person! It felt like it stripped the semi-perm colour I had out, but it might be a coincidence, and it is a pain to need special shampoos etc. It makes me feel put together every single day before I've done anything else though, and I'll probably get them forever.
On a separate hair note, I thought the Revolution dupe of Olaplex 3 was a little better than the original. And Loreal Wonder Water makes my hair feel so soft.
Electrolysis for facial hair, thanks PCOS - it's been life changing to know it's permanent and doesn't hurt if you're used to plucking/have ever epilated anywhere.
Laser hair removal - 2 sessions in and the regrowth is loads finer and less on the whole. I tried a home IPL machine with good reviews but just can't be consistent or patient with something that doesn't show me immediate results lol
Acrylic nails - I get them long and sharp because I've got fat hands and this balances the look of them imo. Totally get that for some people it can look tacky, and I can't open a drink can, but I'm obsessed. I also only get infills so my natural nails aren't getting too damaged as they're not really thinned down in the process and you can do that for about a year.
Pedicures - done at home mostly for ease, OPI polishes are really lovely if you dont want to get into gel etc and they've good staying power.
Crest whitening strips - love them, use a few a week every couple of months cos otherwise my teeth get sensitive. I set up a us amazon account to get them shipped over but excited to maybe find a cheaper way. I've heard Lumineux is meant to give similar results
Botox - just a little bit in my forehead to smooth a line that I got obsessed with, absolutely love it
Actually putting time into researching skin products and not buying as much makeup has made a huge difference to my skin.

I'm working on my style catching up with where I'm at with feeling put together elsewhere, agree with other posters saying more basic clothing with more investment in accessories is the way to go, and would second someone's suggestion of Vestiaire Collective for getting pre-loved classics.

It's harder to find good quality and stylish clothing as a plus size woman in her 30s so if anyone has suggestions?! Go to's at the mo are New Look and River Island for high street stuff and sometimes you really are digging through absolute rubbish.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Absolutely LOVE reading through this thread, so many tabs open for exploring!
I decided that when I turned 30 I was going to take taking care of myself more seriously and it's a game changer for how I approach everything now.

One of the absolute best things is getting a keratin treatment done (saw a few people thinking about it - couldn't recommend more!) my hair is down to my lower back, curly at the root and frizzy all over. I used to take 20-30 mins to dry it every day and then another 20 to straighten and I'd still end up with it tied up within an hour. Now, it maybe takes me 15-20 mins to dry and I literally do not need to straighten it, and haven't for nearly 2 months. I wanted a de-frizz above all but I'd say if you don't want to commit to straight hair as your everyday state then maybe look at something else - a revlon hot brush is pretty brilliant at smoothing frizz as you dry but keeping volume if you're a frizzy textured person! It felt like it stripped the semi-perm colour I had out, but it might be a coincidence, and it is a pain to need special shampoos etc. It makes me feel put together every single day before I've done anything else though, and I'll probably get them forever.
On a separate hair note, I thought the Revolution dupe of Olaplex 3 was a little better than the original. And Loreal Wonder Water makes my hair feel so soft.
Electrolysis for facial hair, thanks PCOS - it's been life changing to know it's permanent and doesn't hurt if you're used to plucking/have ever epilated anywhere.
Laser hair removal - 2 sessions in and the regrowth is loads finer and less on the whole. I tried a home IPL machine with good reviews but just can't be consistent or patient with something that doesn't show me immediate results lol
Acrylic nails - I get them long and sharp because I've got fat hands and this balances the look of them imo. Totally get that for some people it can look tacky, and I can't open a drink can, but I'm obsessed. I also only get infills so my natural nails aren't getting too damaged as they're not really thinned down in the process and you can do that for about a year.
Pedicures - done at home mostly for ease, OPI polishes are really lovely if you dont want to get into gel etc and they've good staying power.
Crest whitening strips - love them, use a few a week every couple of months cos otherwise my teeth get sensitive. I set up a us amazon account to get them shipped over but excited to maybe find a cheaper way. I've heard Lumineux is meant to give similar results
Botox - just a little bit in my forehead to smooth a line that I got obsessed with, absolutely love it
Actually putting time into researching skin products and not buying as much makeup has made a huge difference to my skin.

I'm working on my style catching up with where I'm at with feeling put together elsewhere, agree with other posters saying more basic clothing with more investment in accessories is the way to go, and would second someone's suggestion of Vestiaire Collective for getting pre-loved classics.

It's harder to find good quality and stylish clothing as a plus size woman in her 30s so if anyone has suggestions?! Go to's at the mo are New Look and River Island for high street stuff and sometimes you really are digging through absolute rubbish.
Great post 💅🏼

I follow this thread, but I’m yet to post:

• Heart
Reactions: 2
hey all
any recommendations for cheap home teeth whitening xx
I got the Smile whitening paste, basically a gentle exfoliation for your teeth as my main issue was brown patches between my teeth and it has worked wonders IMO. I have used the crest strips but I had braces for a long time and they show up my patchy bits from then.

Stick to plain colours and add a quality accessory if you can afford it eg black dress with a Gucci belt or the like depending on the budget, buy good quality basic shoes that won’t date so you get a good bang for your buck, keep hair nails and skin in the best condition possible or tie it back in a classy bun plait etc, don’t overdo the makeup keep it neutral not like a chav with overdrawn brown lips and contour u can see from space 😂 but above all be yourself as a genuine person is always favoured, lastly a blazer is a staple piece as it can pull together a basic outfit like jeans a white t some flat shoes and also it can look more formal with a plain skirt or dress.

Reactions: 8
I got the Smile whitening paste, basically a gentle exfoliation for your teeth as my main issue was brown patches between my teeth and it has worked wonders IMO. I have used the crest strips but I had braces for a long time and they show up my patchy bits from then.
Sorry but as a dental nurse there is no such thing as a gentle exfoliation for your teeth!

Highly recommend Crest whitening strips though!

Reactions: 6
Does anyone have any products like a face tanner but not proper fake tan (eczema and sensitive skin)
but i need just a little colour on my face as I look dead and cant wear foundation alot cos of my eczema

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any products like a face tanner but not proper fake tan (eczema and sensitive skin)
but i need just a little colour on my face as I look dead and cant wear foundation alot cos of my eczema
The Tan Luxe drops are really good and just mix in with your normal moisturiser!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have the same skin, I got a Lancôme bronzer especially for the face. But there are probably ones better for sensitive skin now. I’m having a nightmare finding sunscreen for my face atm.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.