Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So guys I’ve decided that I’m going to do myself a beauty advent this year. I’ve just ordered some samples off Feel Unique and plan to do this monthly until December. I’ll then treat myself to a couple of luxury items I know I’ll enjoy, maybe a nice White Company candle, their Nourish bath oil 😍😍 And I might have a look at the beauty and skincare range in M&S. does anyone have any other ideas on how I can create something fun for myself?

• Heart
Reactions: 15
If you wanted to try the next time your in the hairdressers and ask them to do a “root smudge” with your highlights you would get way longer out of it as they don’t do it right up to the roots! It looks lovely as it grows out too, the translation between your roots and the highlights would be wayyyyy smoother
This is really helpful to read as I’ve been wondering what’s the difference between root smudge and balayage? Do you / does anyone know? Sorry if a silly question…

So guys I’ve decided that I’m going to do myself a beauty advent this year. I’ve just ordered some samples off Feel Unique and plan to do this monthly until December. I’ll then treat myself to a couple of luxury items I know I’ll enjoy, maybe a nice White Company candle, their Nourish bath oil 😍😍 And I might have a look at the beauty and skincare range in M&S. does anyone have any other ideas on how I can create something fun for myself?
Ooh love this. Could you do a self-care variation of that “date night idea” thing where you write something on a piece of paper, fold it, put it in a jar and pull one out each day? So it could say “at-home pedicure” or “glass of wine” or “bubble bath” and you’d also have the surprise element of an advent calendar?

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Ooh love this. Could you do a self-care variation of that “date night idea” thing where you write something on a piece of paper, fold it, put it in a jar and pull one out each day? So it could say “at-home pedicure” or “glass of wine” or “bubble bath” and you’d also have the surprise element of an advent calendar?
That’s a fab idea!! Thankyou!

Reactions: 3
This is really helpful to read as I’ve been wondering what’s the difference between root smudge and balayage? Do you / does anyone know? Sorry if a silly question…

I think balayage is more like the face framing highlights and more focused on the mid to bottom sections of your hair. Your natural hair colour would often be the base for that. Whereas the root smudge is where a colour would also be applied to the root (close to your natural colour) and the highlights are melted into that, think smudging so it’s not really obvious highlights, softer and gives smoother transition! I guess the root smudge would last longer for those that have greys and would normally get highlights to the root of their hair

Reactions: 2
I’ve not straightened it yet and I didn’t leave the purple shampoo on for long but I’m happy with it 🙂 It’s blended my roots in and isn’t pulling orange. Thanks for your advice and giving me the confidence to go for it. It was 12 quid as the colour was on offer for 2 boxes. I’m happier with this result than I was last time the hairdresser did it
View attachment 1553800
That looks lovely! 🥰 well done for giving it a go, dyeing your own hair can be scary but you've done a great job, it looks very natural.

The Nuxe advent calendar had some gorgeous bits in last year, I'm still making my way through them! And everything smells soooooo good

1662414270282.png

Reactions: 4
Does anyone know the best eye cream for dark and puffy eyes?
I have tried everything going I think to stop darkness around the eyes and I have concluded it can’t be done. I have tried cheap, and very expensive. The best thing for the darkness is concealer. For puffy eyes, I would avoid rich creams and go for a gel. I love this from La Roche Posay - it’s a gel, but unlike some gels which have minimal moisture, it is an extremely good moisturiser. It is always on offer somewhere, lasts forever, is in a sanitary container, and takes up minimal space in a travel kit.

Amazon product

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone any recommendations for hair masks for dry hair please? My once thick hair is now so fine and I lose loads between washing and brushing it (been tested for bloods etc on numerous occasions and they've all come back fine - it's "just one of those things" according to docs) and my hair is starting to look and feel really dry... I've tried olaplex but genuinely didn't get the hype and banana food which wasn't too bad but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Between my hair and putting on a few stone over the past few years I just feel I've really lost myself and would love to start tryin to get "me" back again!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Has anyone any recommendations for hair masks for dry hair please? My once thick hair is now so fine and I lose loads between washing and brushing it (been tested for bloods etc on numerous occasions and they've all come back fine - it's "just one of those things" according to docs) and my hair is starting to look and feel really dry... I've tried olaplex but genuinely didn't get the hype and banana food which wasn't too bad but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Between my hair and putting on a few stone over the past few years I just feel I've really lost myself and would love to start tryin to get "me" back again!
The coco and eve coconut mask is good. I think it is expensive for what it is though really. They do discounts fairly often.
It leaves my fine hair (damaged dry lengths and greasy roots - excellent combo!) smooth and shiny. It does weigh it down a little bit but it also stops it tangling so much so I’m fine with that.
Olaplex for me was more of a long term preventative thing rather than a quick fix (or that’s how I understood it) Testing that theory just now by not using it 🙈😁

• Heart
I have broadly accepted all the quirks and foibles of my looks as I have aged, but the one thing I hate is my hair. It used to be my crowning glory, but like you my thick hair has thinned. I hate brushing it now, the amount of hair that comes out. It is now so dry as well, so different to what it has been all my life. I don’t know what age you are now but I am middle aged. I look at other women my age and think why is your hair still so smooth and shiny. I now tie it back everyday because it just looks wayward - dry, with hair sticking up, and bits of it were wavy where once it was straight. I can aggressively straighten it but don’t because of the thinning issue, scared of making things worse. I have tried loads of products recently, and I am taking collagen to see if that helps (not noticed any changes but it wouldn’t show immediately, has helped my bad knee though!). I am interested in this issue too.

The Coco and Eve mask was no different for me than the Banana Hair Food, so if you do want to try that, get a small pot.

I do find microfibre towels/turbans help a bit.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I think balayage is more like the face framing highlights and more focused on the mid to bottom sections of your hair. Your natural hair colour would often be the base for that. Whereas the root smudge is where a colour would also be applied to the root (close to your natural colour) and the highlights are melted into that, think smudging so it’s not really obvious highlights, softer and gives smoother transition! I guess the root smudge would last longer for those that have greys and would normally get highlights to the root of their hair
This is really helpful - thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I have recently started following javonford16 on Instagram - he has a post on shiny hair and suggests the ph of the shampoo/conditioner needs to be 3.6 … I’m not sure how helpful that is, I’ve ordered biolage hydra source as it has a low ph value and will update how I get on with it

• Heart
I have dry hair and suffer from some hair loss due to hypothyroidism and PCOS so I understand the struggle. I also have pretty unruly curly hair which feels like a birds nest at the best of times! Feel like I’ve tried everything on the market but one that I’ve been really liking recently is Wella Professionals Invigo Nutri-Enrich Deep Nourishing Mask. I also bought a Wella hair oil for my ends and I’ve been really liking that too. I don’t think I’ll ever be loyal to a specific product and quite enjoy trying new things. I will say that Olaplex should only be used if your hair is damaged, otherwise it will do more harm than good.

• Heart
I have dry hair and suffer from some hair loss due to hypothyroidism and PCOS so I understand the struggle. I also have pretty unruly curly hair which feels like a birds nest at the best of times! Feel like I’ve tried everything on the market but one that I’ve been really liking recently is Wella Professionals Invigo Nutri-Enrich Deep Nourishing Mask. I also bought a Wella hair oil for my ends and I’ve been really liking that too. I don’t think I’ll ever be loyal to a specific product and quite enjoy trying new things. I will say that Olaplex should only be used if your hair is damaged, otherwise it will do more harm than good.

Thank you so much, I'll def look into this! X

Hello everyone! I love this thread! I have just had my eyebrows laminated and an eyelash lift and tiny for the first time ever. I love it! I never bother with brows when I do my makeup but I can't believe the change! I'm really happy with the results, especially since my lashes and brows are so fair.

I have a question though for you all... Since this whole salon thing was new to me, it didn't occur to me to take a tip and I didn't have any cash. Have I made a massive faux pas? Is it the done thing to tip at the beauty salon? I do always tip my hairdresser. I'm in the UK.

• Heart
Hello everyone! I love this thread! I have just had my eyebrows laminated and an eyelash lift and tiny for the first time ever. I love it! I never bother with brows when I do my makeup but I can't believe the change! I'm really happy with the results, especially since my lashes and brows are so fair.

I have a question though for you all... Since this whole salon thing was new to me, it didn't occur to me to take a tip and I didn't have any cash. Have I made a massive faux pas? Is it the done thing to tip at the beauty salon? I do always tip my hairdresser. I'm in the UK.
I tip my beauty therapist but she's a small local business and a friend of mine.
My sister works in a spa and don't think she's ever been tipped

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.