Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tip my beauty therapist but she's a small local business and a friend of mine.
My sister works in a spa and don't think she's ever been tipped
I think the reason for this is because when you are at a spa you are in a robe and money is in the changing room lockers.

Reactions: 3
Thank you for your help on the tipping situation 😍

I also wanted to say what a difference the lash lift, tint and brow lamination has made!! I never ever used to do anything with my brows and they are really blonde. Now I feel really pulled together with only some foundation whereas previously I'd wear eye make up every day but I actually look OK without it with the brows and lashes tinted etc (normally I'd only feel half dressed without eye make up on you know?!) Why am I only now discovering that brows are the secret ingredient in my mid 40s 🙈

Reactions: 4
Thank you for your help on the tipping situation 😍

I also wanted to say what a difference the lash lift, tint and brow lamination has made!! I never ever used to do anything with my brows and they are really blonde. Now I feel really pulled together with only some foundation whereas previously I'd wear eye make up every day but I actually look OK without it with the brows and lashes tinted etc (normally I'd only feel half dressed without eye make up on you know?!) Why am I only now discovering that brows are the secret ingredient in my mid 40s 🙈
Do you mind asking how much you paid for this? 😘

Reactions: 1
It must vary a lot from salon to salon. The salon I go to is nice but it's not super nice, you know?! I had a trainee do it last year and it was only £20!

I am having a nightmare with bleeping chin hair, it’s ruining my life 😣😣 I got checked for PCOS and I don’t have it, I always had 1 or 2 stray hairs but the last year it’s gotten so much worse and I stupidly started shaving it. I knew it wasn’t ideal but it was the most convenient option because the hairs were visible again after less than 24 hours…

I went to my beauticians today and she said laser hair removal is the way to go but I need to avoid removing the hair for FOUR WEEKS before the treatment…. I nearly started crying, I can’t even leave it 2/3 days or it’s sooo obvious. I saw a guy in the office glance down at it a few months ago when I hadn’t shaved it and I felt awful. It’s about 10 dark hairs just under my chin…

What are my options? Should I wax? I’ve tried plucking but it’s not very convenient….

• Sad
Reactions: 2
I am having a nightmare with bleeping chin hair, it’s ruining my life 😣😣 I got checked for PCOS and I don’t have it, I always had 1 or 2 stray hairs but the last year it’s gotten so much worse and I stupidly started shaving it. I knew it wasn’t ideal but it was the most convenient option because the hairs were visible again after less than 24 hours…

I went to my beauticians today and she said laser hair removal is the way to go but I need to avoid removing the hair for FOUR WEEKS before the treatment…. I nearly started crying, I can’t even leave it 2/3 days or it’s sooo obvious. I saw a guy in the office glance down at it a few months ago when I hadn’t shaved it and I felt awful. It’s about 10 dark hairs just under my chin…

What are my options? Should I wax? I’ve tried plucking but it’s not very convenient….

Laser is good but a pain to let the hair grow out. You could check whether electrolysis would work better for you. I have had it done on my chin for the same reason and my beautician didn’t need me to grow it out for forever, but long enough that the tweezers can grab it. It’s a bit painful though…

Couldn’t you just Veet it away?

Laser is good but a pain to let the hair grow out. You could check whether electrolysis would work better for you. I have had it done on my chin for the same reason and my beautician didn’t need me to grow it out for forever, but long enough that the tweezers can grab it. It’s a bit painful though…
I didn't think you need to grow hair out with laser. I had legs etc done and could shave in between. But I've heard facial hair takes longer to get rid of with laser so electrolysis might be a shout

Laser hair removal on lip and chin has been a game changer for me. Only wish I had done it sooner. As long as you don’t pluck or wax for 6 weeks before your first laser session, there shouldn’t be a problem. You can shave or trim the hair, you just can’t pull it out from the root of that makes sense ! Do you know which laser method they are using?

Reactions: 6
I don't understand. I've been lasering my legs & everywhere except my face cos I want to see how it works first but in the instructions it says you need to shave or wax or somehow remove the hair before you laser so that the laser can easily reach the root of the hair to work. So why do you have to let it grow? That is the opposite?

Reactions: 4

IPL - you can shave it before treatment and in between, if needed. You can have salon treatments or buy your own machine. I got a Philips Lumea, it’s amazing. I’ve done my legs and use it on my face too. I’ve just had a go at my underarms and it’s working well there too. As long as your hair is dark(ish) and your skin paler than the hair, it should work for you. Read up on it before you invest in a machine, but once you’ve got the device, and if it works for you, you’ll never look back.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. It’s a horrible thing to have to deal with.

ETA - I’ve never heard of having to let the hair grow out with laser either. I thought it was the same as IPL, that you can shave, just not wax or pluck.

Maybe you could get some high neck jumpers and scarves for winter, hopefully will be more discreet for you to grow it out this way?

Electrolysis is truly changing my life. It’s the only perm hair removal (hair can come back after laser if say your hormones change) and you can get it done on shorter cycles than laser I believe. My body lasering is every 6 wks and chin electro is every 3. No waxing or plucking and you only need to go 3 ish days without shaving it before a session- when I was researching it there were trans forums talking about going multiple times a week so while you won’t need that it does make it sound safe to go as regularly as you need to clear it.

With laser you shave everything down and the laser is drawn to the pigment (which is why it works best on lighter skin with darker hair) of the hair and damages the root using heat but with electro they need the hair to guide them into the right, active, follicle to destroy the root with a small electric charge. This is my understanding of the difference anyway! I personally have needed a few sessions before seeing a difference with laser whereas the electrolysis is immediate as they remove the hair after it’s been zapped and it usually only takes 1 or 2 zaps before the hair can’t grow again.

Lots of places offer both, maybe someone who spends all day looking at this will be able to help you decide what’s best? It absolutely sucks to be really conscious of it though, you’re not alone at all❤
Also, I’m not sure what tests you’ve had that ruled PCOS out but it’s acknowledged now that some people have it & don’t have cysts on their ovaries- there are groups trying to have it renamed for accuracy so that docs don’t lean too heavily on the existence of cysts to diagnose it. My hair removal lady is always pointing me towards research and things because so many of her clients have it, I’ve learned more about it from her than I got from my doctor about pcos over the last decade.

let us know what you go for and how it goes!!

Reactions: 10
I’m after some hair advice please.
My natural hair colour is a dull dark brown.
I’ve been having blonde highlights and my roots covered for quite some time. I love the colour; I think it suits me.

But with the cost of everything going up all the time, I can’t afford to get it coloured as often as it needs. At the moment it looks terrible and you can really see the greys coming through.

I was thinking the cheapest thing to do was get a box dye and going to a medium-light brown and just getting cuts/blow dry at the salon.

But I’d really like to keep the blonde if I could, but its so expensive to maintain.

Any advice please?

I’m after some hair advice please.
My natural hair colour is a dull dark brown.
I’ve been having blonde highlights and my roots covered for quite some time. I love the colour; I think it suits me.

But with the cost of everything going up all the time, I can’t afford to get it coloured as often as it needs. At the moment it looks terrible and you can really see the greys coming through.

I was thinking the cheapest thing to do was get a box dye and going to a medium-light brown and just getting cuts/blow dry at the salon.

But I’d really like to keep the blonde if I could, but its so expensive to maintain.

Any advice please?
I have very dark hair but have loads of highlights, mine is a caramel colour, in between this I dye my roots myself but use the tubes of colour and a developer and buy this off EBay or Amazon. I was told by my hairdresser that it’s better not to use box dye as it’s harder to lift it out of your hair when they do the highlights. I last had mine highlighted about 3 months ago and it still looks fine, forgot to say I dye my roots medium brown

I have very dark hair but have loads of highlights, mine is a caramel colour, in between this I dye my roots myself but use the tubes of colour and a developer and buy this off EBay or Amazon. I was told by my hairdresser that it’s better not to use box dye as it’s harder to lift it out of your hair when they do the highlights. I last had mine highlighted about 3 months ago and it still looks fine, forgot to say I dye my roots medium brown
Totally agree with you on staying away from box colour 👍🏻

Thanks. Can you please point me in the direction of what tubes?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.