Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

houseofhoop

VIP Member
I have naturally curly hair… however I have found the older I am getting the less curly it is! Years ago (and I mean years ago!) a friend had something done to her curly hair that made it permanently straight (or at least for a good while, it may have needed a top up!?) - I am considering this is this is still a thing!?
I have a colleague at work (in her 50s now) who was 40 when I joined and had lovely luxurious curly. After a few years it was getting noticeably less curly. One day (after covid) I saw it back to these wonderful curls, and I mentioned it and she said she stopped washing it as much (she was able to do this in covid) maybe that might help

Reactions: 5

gabbysolis

Got a back handed compliment on Saturday. Warm day, headed to the coast. Sat on a bench with OH. A couple walked past in their mid 20s I would say. Male looked at me and said when I saw her she looked proper beautiful but she’s old. The female said I did too! Well basic man and woman, I am beautiful despite my age, so fuck off to you.
What a random thing for them to say in earshot of you!!! Perhaps they weren’t the full shilling.

Codiaeum

VIP Member
Can someone explain the lumea pls? How often are you required to do it? And the main one does it hurt?
You need to shave the areas you want to get done before, because otherwise the hair will burn and over time make the device less efficident. No epilation/waxing, etc, just shaving is fine.
You can either select an intensity or the device will select one automatically, depends which type you get and simply press it lightly on the area of skin and press it. A very quick bright lightburst will happen, then you move the device a little bit and do it again, until the entire area is covered. It can sting a bit, depending on area but you can always lower the intensity. you shouldn't use it on the same area multiple times over during the same "session" and don't apply it on moles. Generally, you do it maybe every week or every other week until the hair is gone and then maybe once a month for upkeep.
I used to have a Lumea, now have a Braun IPL, which I prefer for handling, but overall, they are very similar. Make sure that your hair and hair colour are suitable for IPL, it doesn't work on red and very light hair and doesn't work on dark skin - basically the lighter your skin and darker the hair, the better it works.

Curly

VIP Member
Can people please share their opinions and experiences on laser hair removal? Would you recommend it, how many sessions etc? I'm pale but get quite dark body hair. My face and neck are just awful because I have PCOS and they will be the first areas that I need sorted! Second will be my legs. Therapie clinics seem to have good reviews too.
Have you tried spearmint tea to help the hair growth?
I used to have to shave my chin and tash daily now it’s only twice sometimes once a week since I started drinking the tea

• Wow

yankydoo

Chatty Member
Don't think this is technically on topic for this thread but drinking more water does help with being glam! Does anyone have a good Stanley Cup dupe, preferably from Amazon, please?

• Heart

Mythoughts

Chatty Member
Re the coil - my friends got lost...it was due out just as we went into lockdown. 3 years later she finally goes to have it out and they can't find it. Lots of tests later and it's somewhere completely different!
She had to have an operation to remove it.
I didn't have one in the end but after my daughter was born I felt the gp and contraceptive nurse were really pushy about me having the coil. I stood my ground though and said I'd rather go back on the pill
As it agrees with me.

I brought the revolution miracle cream which is meant to be a CT dupe but I didn't like it, its too fragrant and my skin just didn't get on with it.

Is there a UK equivalent for panoxyl face wash? I'm on medication that makes me sweat alot and I always smell like BO even though I shower every day, wear Deodorant and clean clothes. I've read panoxyl can help but it's only avaliable in the US or via iherb and I don't really wanna spent £5 delivery!

• Wow

not_influenced

VIP Member
I'm doing the unthinkable and am doing a BIG wardrobe clear out. After many years of pregnancy, trying to conceive and post partum body between kids. I'm having kids & our family is complete am I trying to get my style and mojo back. Hair, tan, body care & nails I'm happy with. It's clothes. Does anyone have any Instagram or YouTube accounts for fashionable but practical clothes?? I want to look well but also practical, like something I could wear to brunch with the girls but also playground/coffee?

• Heart

adviseplz

VIP Member
Thanks @Chocolategoggler and @Panstickpinkie!

By the time I left I think I managed to convince her to not go ahead with it, at least for this appointment. I told her to get the hairdresser to use a lighter gloss, and if she (the hairdresser) doesn’t want to do that then to just do the shade that she currently is. I also scared her with the maintenance chat and told her she’d be having to use hair masks and blue shampoo which I can’t see her doing at all haha.

How roles reverse, I swear when I was younger she kept telling me not to bleach my hair 😂

Great idea @Chocolategoggler, last time we went through this I thought to myself about getting her an appointment at my hairdressers, who are a fair bit away from us but they’re so great. It had totally slipped my mind. I’ve got an appointment coming up so I’ll chat to them about what they think and then book her in. If I just book her in she won’t be able to say protest and say no!

Thanks gals ❤

• Heart

Aceofspades

Chatty Member
So… after having curly locks for 36 years, over the past few years they have slowly lost their curl - so I went and had a blunt bob cut and am living the straight hair life! Loving it too! ☺ However I lack any skill in hair styling (blow-drying etc!) - could you lovely recommend styling equipment and products that I can use to help! I’ve been suggested a drying brush type thing… what’s the thoughts on those? Heat protectant is a must and an oil to sleek my hair each morning!? Anything else or should I be doing things a little differently!? 🤪
I have a trusty old babyliss big hair which there are newer versions of currently, but I think it’s brill for a bob. It’s a really fair price point too, especially when compared to all these shark/dyson models, and it really gets the job done imo x

Mamacita

VIP Member
I have this problem! I buy for a fictional version of myself who goes on a lot of lovely beach holidays. Not for the real me who lives in Scotland and needs something more than just kaftans to get through summer 😅
I was just complaining about living in Scotland and the fact I don't have a problem with style on holiday but I just hate the clothes I have to wear here cause it's so bloody cold all the time 😭 hate layers, hate unflattering thick clothes, cardigans, trousers, tights ugh. I was made to live somewhere hot

• Heart

smartalec

Has anyone gone down the Botox route and decided it wasn’t for them? Had my first just over a week ago and not sure I’m too keen on it.
It takes two weeks to fully settle I think. Is it too frozen or not enough? Has it changed your expression in an unpleasant way?

JE172

VIP Member
Literally sitting here cross legged now as I’ve just had my smear reminder letter in the post today 😫

• Heart

Keepitw0nky

Chatty Member
Been really upset with my skin and general appearance lately :( I'm turning 35 at the end of the month and while I think I still look quite youthful 'for my age' (yes, I know 35 is nowhere near 'old' 😂) I'm really noticing changes that make me feel bleh. In particular around my eyes - I've always had hooded eyes but they def look saggier now and make me look tired. I also have some fine lines under my eyes and when I smile my under eyes look bigger/puffier now if that makes sense. I've had fleeting thoughts of an upper/under blepharoplasty which is madness! I went with a friend to her botox appointment recently out of curiosity and they recommended Tixel laser treatment for my under eyes as opposed to botox - which I'm considering.

The other thing is my skin - I always used to have quite good skin but feel like I'm really blotchy now with uneven texture and maybe even some rosacea.

(Doesn't help that I now have all my iCloud photos on my phone - so I've been obsessively analysing old photos from years ago and comparing them to my photos now!)

Sooooo all of this to say - does anyone have any must-have products, treatments to improve the look of your eyes and skin texture/tone?

Ordered some more Lumineux teeth whitening strips which I plan to start using tonight - that can be the first step in my self care routine 🤣

Sorry for this rant haha. I know aging happens us to all and it's SUCH a vapid thing to get hung up over but at the same time it's such a weird experience - feeling like you almost don't recognise yourself!
Same, I’m 35 next Jan and I was thinking the same today. Tbh, I’ve given up feeling guilty or vain for caring, I DO care - a lot! I get Botox, hair dyed at the hairdressers but apart from that just buy decent skincare. I’m no expert, I get some bits from Avene, some Neals Yard and one or two expensive things from my friends clinic like Obagi and PCA.

Also going to start using a kettlebell to tone up arms and legs, I feel like I’ve got squishier recently 🫠
---
There are loads of fake long champ’s, I’d never trust one second hand. There’s an outlet in Bicester or they have them on the Secret Sales website sometimes

• Heart

Tank Girl

VIP Member
I randomly bought Max Factor Miracle Pure Skin improving foundation. I picked it up while waiting for my script and browsing in the chemist. It’s buildable. Little heavier than a tinted moisturiser but felt light on. spf 30 and hylaluronic acid. It was half price. I’m well chuffed with it.

If i told you …

VIP Member
I'll have to have a go when I have time. I'll have to start somewhere before my big shopping trip! 😁

A lightweight camel/beige well-cut coat or jacket is a great place to start. They will always serve you well, as they are classy and versatile and can be teamed with any colour of clothing

whoareyouu

VIP Member
I’ve just had a look at the Astrid and Miyu website and I might treat myself to some emerald earrings for my birthday. So thank you :)