Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mollywobbles

VIP Member
Thank you all so much. I have contacted a dermatologist, just waiting for them to call me back with an appointment. We are seeing his Crohn's consultant next week so I will speak to him about it too.
I had dreadful skin in my twenties, it would flare up for no reason.
On holiday in France a lovely lady told me not to use anything for spotty or oily skin as all it did was dry the skin and encourage it to produce more oil. It also made it tough and blocked the pores.
She told me to massage in Nivea, a big dollop, every morning and night then to remove it by using a facecloth soaked in warm but not hot water. Just hold it over and wipe off gently, do not scrub. It would soften the skin and clear blocked pores.
It worked!
Every so often I go off and try something else but when I get a flare up I go back to the nivea and it soothes and clears up.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

JE172

VIP Member
Does anybody have any 🍉 friendly sulphate free hair recommendations? I was using Semi Di Lino, but I don't think it agrees with me anymore, . I changed to Moroccan Oil, but just read up on the company on the BDS list.

I have a Brazilian blow-dry so need something super moisturizing and free from sulphates. Looking for a shampoo, conditioner and maybe a new hair treatment oil.

(no offence but no opinions needed on my moral stance, just recommendations 🤣❤)
Please someone tell me it’s not just me trying to work out what melon friendly means?!

• Haha
Reactions: 12

hytuhh

Chatty Member
(Responding to a blank post 😆) I haven’t tried that one but am tempted! I’ve used a Chanel brown mascara before that was actually brown too. Shame about all those others though! Are your lashes dark naturally? I wonder if that’s why the brown mascaras look black on?
I am quite fair with the light hairs but since using lash serums they have gone thicker and darker. But generally they aren't dark naturally so I would have thought brown mascara would be perfect for me.

I did get a £50 Boots voucher when I left my last job so technically if I was to buy it, and it's on 3 for 2, I'm not spending my own money (yes I'm justifying it as I'm too active in the other thread to not be held accountable 🤣🤣)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

TheArtisticMouse

Chatty Member
I took some rituals shower gel to hospital after having my first born, thinking it would be a nice treat. I found the postbirth hospital stay so traumatic I can’t stand and the smell of it anymore 😂

• Haha
  • Sad

Ametrine

VIP Member
The Body Shop has called in the administrators. If you love the chamomile cleanser maybe get a few in.
I'm really sad about this. Yes, they had lost their way in recent years, and some of their business decisions didn't make sense, but they still sell some very good quality products. I'm also sad for all the people who might lose their jobs too. I was hoping the new sale meant a new direction for the company, and didn't expect the new owner to put it into administration (but it's a private equity company, so I should have expected that really :rolleyes:).

I think making all their products vegan was a mistake, as they had to reformulate long-standing and beloved formulations to get rid of things like beeswax (which were in the body butters, for example), which alienated some of their customers. A lot of customers have complained on the body butter product review sections of the website about this change.

The pricing is all over the place. It's now very expensive to buy things in the physical shop, but if you sign up to their rewards scheme, you can earn points and they will also give you a voucher from time-to-time, which makes the cost a lot cheaper. Their pricing strategy reminds me of Gap's, an look what happened to them in the UK.

The packaging is now dreary. I know some of it is to do with being sustainable, but I think some of the graphics designs and imagery could have been better. The shop redesign was also a mistake, and it made the shops a bit depressing to be in, one of the reasons being the store lighting was too dark.

I wasn't aware of the trans row regarding JK Rowling until now, and the boycott by some women as a result. I'm not here to talk about the details of what happened, because this isn't the right thread for that. I will only say that taking a strong stance on social issues often seems to backfire in a business sense (see also the Bud Light drama).

My favourite products are:

1) The Shea body butter (the most moisturising body moisturiser I've ever used, and yes, it's the reformulated vegan product. It's very dense and you have to warm it up in your hand, but you only need a tiny bit, so a pot will last you months. I took a break from it and started using Cerave, and then had to run back to this as the Cerave was nothing compared to this)
2) The hand creams, particularly the Shea and Almond Butter ones (your hands stay moisturised even after you wash them)
3) The bar soaps (you can use these to wash your face too, and the Satsuma and Strawberry ones in particular smell incredible)

• Heart

pommynoir

VIP Member
I'm 37 and I have no idea where to shop, I feel sometimes I'm too old for new look but too young for m&s 😅
I'm 5ft 3, mixed race, slim but a bit body conscious so don't do tight clothes. Any ideas?
HHaa I’m 30 and shop in M&S nice clothes and good quality. Newlook is cheap shite.
but other than M&S I use Uniqlo, Abercrombie and H&M a lot

pommynoir

VIP Member
Does anybody have any 🍉 friendly sulphate free hair recommendations? I was using Semi Di Lino, but I don't think it agrees with me anymore, . I changed to Moroccan Oil, but just read up on the company on the BDS list.

I have a Brazilian blow-dry so need something super moisturizing and free from sulphates. Looking for a shampoo, conditioner and maybe a new hair treatment oil.

(no offence but no opinions needed on my moral stance, just recommendations 🤣❤)

• Heart

pommynoir

VIP Member
Rituals is another one of those shops that I don't quite get how they survive. There are two in my city, neither seems particularly busy apart from around Christmas and maybe Valentine's day. They are both big and in very pricey areas. They have some okay scents but the price point is quite high and I know maybe one person who semi-regularly gets a hand soap as a treat, but nobody seems to go there for regular rebuys.
I use rituals a lot. Majority of my candles / diffusers, my toiletries (although recently got the face stuff for free and I’m not a fan). even my car air fresheners are rituals 🤣 most my friends presents will be from there too as there is one in my local shopping town and one next to my office. Perhaps I’m the person keeping them in business as well as your friend with the hand soap. 😂

• Haha

Hastaggifted

VIP Member
I want the whole lot gone. I know they see it everyday and its their job but I just can't bring myself to book it even though I want it so much! How long/ thick is too much hair?! I keep imagining they'll say I'm sorry it's too long, trim and come back 🤣🤣🤣 but if I trim how much is too short? Grain of rice length? Full on Bush?

I've booked BIAB for the first time on Tuesday, purely to suss out the beautician and ask her questions 🤣

• Haha

hytuhh

Chatty Member
Has anyone mastered heatless curls? Any tips on what to buy that's comfy to sleep in? My hair is pretty straight so not sure if they will hold but intrigued to give it a try. :giggle:
I feel like I've perfected heatless curls for my hair (fine and thin, gets greasy easily).
I use the tie from a dressing gown, put my bangs in a roller and thread the tie through the roller so it's secure and my bangs get volume. Then wrap the hair around, 4 sections each side in total. Secure each end with a scrunchie then cross the sides behind my back and thread the ends through the roller. It's super secure, not too difficult to sleep in and turns out perfect every time!

For taking them out I remove everything but don't brush the curls out straight away, usually do my make up/morning routine then brush out and add oil to the ends to keep smooth.

• Heart

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
Hope it’s okay to jump in and ask - is the Hourglass Vanish concealer good for under eyes? I be looking like I’ve been dug up lately, insomnia is my worst enemy 😔

If not, has anyone got any good under eye concealer recommendations? I’ve been using a NARS one but it’s not really doing it for me!
Me too!!!
I put two lots of concealer on today, only for someone to refer to my dark circles during a conversation a few hours later. 😥

• Wow
  • Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 10

Tank Girl

VIP Member
I love the hemp hand cream from the Body Shop. The smell isn't the nicest but it's the only hand cream I've used that works. Any alternatives anyone could recommend?
I worked in the Body shop and I would say at least once a week I would have someone tell me they tried EVERY other brand and nothing compared 🤣 People would come in and spend hundreds stocking up for the year. Esp people who worked outdoors . I’ve never come across a similar texture. Brilliant product. Awful smell.

PunkyMonkey

Chatty Member
Thank you all so much. I have contacted a dermatologist, just waiting for them to call me back with an appointment. We are seeing his Crohn's consultant next week so I will speak to him about it too.
Not much to add as my advice would be to repair the skin barrier/stop "attack mode" and start using more gentle and moisturising ingredients but just wanted to say:

You're doing an amazing job. I had fairly mild acne in my teens but it decimated my already poor self confidence and my parents, neither of whom had ever had skin problems, just shrugged it off.
If I'd known dermatologists existed I would have gone on hunger strike for an appointment, for you to be seeking out the best advice and acting on it is top tier mum skills 💕

A dermatologist is definitely the best route IMO as they'll be the ones to work with existing plans re chronic conditions if medication is prescribed, and can monitor long-term.

Have a look at "Doctorly" on YouTube, it's American but they're my favourite online dermatologists and have loads of videos on acne.

• Heart
I finally found a pair of jeans I absolutely love!! From M&S, the Per Una Lyocell Rich Straight Leg Jeans in washed black. The colour is not black at all but a dark grey which I am actually happy with despite being disappointed at first glance. They are super soft and comfortable and I think they look great on me!!

I have so many pair of jeans that I only feel middlin in that I am really delighted with this. I wish they did a light washed out denim in them, I don't like the look of the other colour available which is indigo.

• Heart

Curly

VIP Member
I currently resemble ms trunchball on the daily. So I am making it my mission this weekend to start building up a self care routine. Not just my face but body and hair as I feel yucky.
I have been getting the monthly look fantastic boxes and lots in it I want to try so this weekend is the start of the new me 🤣🤞🏽

• Heart

slugella

VIP Member
if I worked from home I think I’d roll out of bed 5 mins before I’m due on, hair would always be a greasy mess and I’d end up like a troll 🤣🤣 oh to be an aesthetic morning routine girly
hello this is meee 😂 I just can't bring myself to get out of bed knowing I only need to turn my laptop on.

I usually turn it on and check any messages, then make a coffee and have a wash, then change into new pj's or loungewear. I'm really not a morning person.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

LifeOfMog

VIP Member
But what kinds of things should I buy? Have an overflowing drawer of gym stuff but it all looks crap…
Stick to basic colours that go with everything - so white, greys, greens, black (maybe not the best choice if it's going to be hot!) and search brands you know have good materials and will be worth the money. The amount of people who sell higher end brands on there for cheap is brilliant!

I'd say get some over sized t-shirts so you can keep them baggy on those days you want to cover up, or be able to tuck them into a sports bra on the days you're too hot / leggings / linen shorts / strap tops - with gymwear, I always find that if I wear similar colours or match my top to my trainers I always feel more put together.

Best way to put an outfit together is stick to three basic colours, and then accessorise <3

Reactions: 9