Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone have any recommendations for making your car smell nice? Mine doesn’t really smell of anything and I’d like it to smell nice and fresh. Not a fan of most of the car air fresheners you can get.
You could put something that's scented further back of the car, so the smell isnt strong up front near your face when you drive. I'm a big cherry jellybelly fan too & love the strong smell, but also have had great air fresheners with my favourite perfumes from amazon. If you want something lighter, maybe you could get a little organza bag or two put around with those scent booster beads? Like in the door pockets so the smell sits lower which might help it smell fresh in a more subtle way. I think it was way back in this thread that someone recommended putting these kind of baggies into sofa cushions and its been lovely but not overbearing at all.

Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recommendations for making your car smell nice? Mine doesn’t really smell of anything and I’d like it to smell nice and fresh. Not a fan of most of the car air fresheners you can get.
I don’t like car fresheners either but granted the last few times I experienced them was in taxi rides. Those cars needed a full detailing not an air freshener 😬
Could you do a sachet of eucalyptus?

Reactions: 1
i was going to get my mum a ceramic air vent stick that you soak in essential oil drops as a stocking filler as i thought it was a good idea and she could use her diffuser oils ... but the reviews weren't the best so maybe buy at your own risk 😅

Hello thread newbie here 👋

I'm a lifelong slob and hoarder desperately trying to reform my lifetime habits before I turn 40. These threads have been quite inspiring so thank you for all the tips!

My current house is open plan downstairs with laminate wooden flooring. Mr B bought a robotic mop when we moved in two years ago (I do not recommend btw). It does an okish job but it really struggles with getting right into the corners.

For a while I used the Flash Go with the wipes but I never got the hang of actually attaching them to the mop 🤦 Ordinary mops give me the ick as to how dirty they get. Ideally I'm looking for a mop with reusable mop heads or attachments that can be chucked in the washing machine for a good clean afterwards. Can anyone recommend a good option I can pick up or have delivered by Tuesday/Wednesday?

(These are the only two days I truly have child free 😖 My youngest is a "helpful" toddler so it's easier to get stuff done when they're not here ......).

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I'm a lifelong slob and hoarder desperately trying to reform my lifetime habits before I turn 40. These threads have been quite inspiring so thank you for all the tips!

My current house is open plan downstairs with laminate wooden flooring. Mr B bought a robotic mop when we moved in two years ago (I do not recommend btw). It does an okish job but it really struggles with getting right into the corners.

For a while I used the Flash Go with the wipes but I never got the hang of actually attaching them to the mop 🤦 Ordinary mops give me the ick as to how dirty they get. Ideally I'm looking for a mop with reusable mop heads or attachments that can be chucked in the washing machine for a good clean afterwards. Can anyone recommend a good option I can pick up or have delivered by Tuesday/Wednesday?

(These are the only two days I truly have child free 😖 My youngest is a "helpful" toddler so it's easier to get stuff done when they're not here ......).
The Vileda 1 2 spray mop.

Fills up from the handle and sprays directly to the floor. The pads are machine washable and easy to clip on 😊

ETA as it is refillable you can use whatever floor wash you want. You aren't limited to flash refills etc.

Reactions: 4

I use a vileda spin mop. The attachments are really easy to put in the washing machine. You can go out today and get one in asda/b&m/argos/dunelm.

i think it does a decent job on my floors but I only have laminate and vinyl down for reference. Anything that is absolutely stubborn tho I just hand clean with a microfibre cloth and hot soapy water

Reactions: 2

I have this one:

Can recommend. It’s very practical and easy to just pop in the washing machine when dirty, brings spare mops as well

my tip with the flash and go mop is to position the wet pad/wipe flat on the floor and then lower the mop on to it. Otherwise the cleaning solutiion in the wipe goes everywhere.

Awwww, I love a helpful little kid 😁 but then they are nieces and nephews that only visit now and then.

I have a VAX steam cleaner that I adore. It's so good and I highly recommend. THis is the one I have
Amazon product
---
I've had mine a while so didn't pay anything near the £90 they are now but you can get cheaper ones around £50 mark and they are well worth the money imo

Awwww, I love a helpful little kid 😁 but then they are nieces and nephews that only visit now and then.

I have a VAX steam cleaner that I adore. It's so good and I highly recommend. THis is the one I have
Amazon product
---
I've had mine a while so didn't pay anything near the £90 they are now but you can get cheaper ones around £50 mark and they are well worth the money imo
I have this one I think and I got it in Argos for £60, might have been on offer though

my tip with the flash and go mop is to position the wet pad/wipe flat on the floor and then lower the mop on to it. Otherwise the cleaning solutiion in the wipe goes everywhere.
That is a really good tip. I do remember doing this but never got the hang of exactly where to lower the mop. It always felt like there was never enough room to attach the wipe on one side. My spatial awareness is horrendous though so I suspect people that are not me are better at doing this 😂
---

Amazon product
---
The two year does enjoy loading the washing machine (but I have to lock the screen when it's on otherwise he goes to town on those buttons!) 😖 Thank you for the link - I'll take a look.

I got a cheap Addis floor stick steamer (about £30 from B and M)with a triangular head and washable cloth attachment. I use auto deionised water from Tesco with it. Have had no trouble with it and have had it quite a while now. They sell brands like this everywhere including Aldi and other supermarkets.
I went the expensive route before but it broke in no time. The more complicated and fancy things are the more trouble they are imho.

Have you got leather seats? if not spray a bit of febreeze on them.

Thanks to everyone who answered my question regarding mops. I've decided on the Vileda 1-2 spray mop as I'm hoping it takes up less space.

Over the past couple of days I've realised that I really need to declutter the house. We moved to our last house 7 years ago when I was heavily pregnant and, to he honest, just chucked everything in boxes. Then we upsized about 2 years ago and I'm embarrassed to say that we moved boxes that we still hadn't unpacked from our last move 🤦 There's definitely no more babies coming but I still have a crib, pram other baby stuff that just needs to go.

I downloaded Decluttering at the Speed of Life and am really enjoying her approach to decluttering. The Marie Kono method of pulling everything out never really worked for me. The time I get to any decluttering is limited (do not recommend decluttering with a toddler) so taking it in stages will help. Yesterday afternoon my eldest's sports club was unexpectedly cancelled so I spent that time decluttering the medicine box and tidying up the shelf it lives on in the kitchen. It still looks busy but the shelf is functional now as our vitamins are grouped together along with tea bags and coffee (the kettle lives underneath the shelf). It's functional and much better than the crappy mess it was.

Stacey Solomon does divide Tattle but I'm really enjoying her Sort Your Life Out series for storage ideas. Already I've got an idea on how to store our messy crockery cupboard. We inheritated our PIL's crockery (they're boomers who have a mild obsession with plates for EVERY occasion) so it will be tough to declutter that as Mr B is a bit more terroritorale over it.

Gosh, that was a long ramble 😂 Thanks if you stuck with it!

Reactions: 10
Thanks to everyone who answered my question regarding mops. I've decided on the Vileda 1-2 spray mop as I'm hoping it takes up less space.

Over the past couple of days I've realised that I really need to declutter the house. We moved to our last house 7 years ago when I was heavily pregnant and, to he honest, just chucked everything in boxes. Then we upsized about 2 years ago and I'm embarrassed to say that we moved boxes that we still hadn't unpacked from our last move 🤦 There's definitely no more babies coming but I still have a crib, pram other baby stuff that just needs to go.

I downloaded Decluttering at the Speed of Life and am really enjoying her approach to decluttering. The Marie Kono method of pulling everything out never really worked for me. The time I get to any decluttering is limited (do not recommend decluttering with a toddler) so taking it in stages will help. Yesterday afternoon my eldest's sports club was unexpectedly cancelled so I spent that time decluttering the medicine box and tidying up the shelf it lives on in the kitchen. It still looks busy but the shelf is functional now as our vitamins are grouped together along with tea bags and coffee (the kettle lives underneath the shelf). It's functional and much better than the crappy mess it was.

Stacey Solomon does divide Tattle but I'm really enjoying her Sort Your Life Out series for storage ideas. Already I've got an idea on how to store our messy crockery cupboard. We inheritated our PIL's crockery (they're boomers who have a mild obsession with plates for EVERY occasion) so it will be tough to declutter that as Mr B is a bit more terroritorale over it.

Omg this reminds me how I always feel so judged by my mother in law due to our mismatched coffee cups and IKEA plates 🥴 it has to be a thing, right? Once at their place helped myself to some coffee to then hear “Err sorry but that’s a tea mug? Just saying of course”. Well apologies I guess, they’re all in the same shelf and look the same 🤣 For the last 2 Xmases she also gives us crockery as gifts - Last year was a set of 6 matching coffee mugs 🤣 which is nice, but I’m sensing she’s trying to send a message 🤔🤣

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9

There is also a Nick Knowles version on Channel 5, very similar idea but imo not quite as good.

Reactions: 3

There is a lady called Denise Linn who is doing a free Clutter Clearing workshop online. It’s free she does it every year. It will be 20:00 our time and there will be replays. They will try and get you to buy the course afterwards, but there is no pressure. Here is the link:

Omg this reminds me how I always feel so judged by my mother in law due to our mismatched coffee cups and IKEA plates 🥴 it has to be a thing, right? Once at their place helped myself to some coffee to then hear “Err sorry but that’s a tea mug? Just saying of course”. Well apologies I guess, they’re all in the same shelf and look the same 🤣 For the last 2 Xmases she also gives us crockery as gifts - Last year was a set of 6 matching coffee mugs 🤣 which is nice, but I’m sensing she’s trying to send a message 🤔🤣
Oh wow, my PIL are more scatty than like that! I don't think they would be vexed re coffee mugs but they did seem very upset that we didn't have friends round to dinner
(does any millennial??) and only need one set of plates.

I hope she at least bought you a tasteful set!

I downloaded Decluttering at the Speed of Life and am really enjoying her approach to decluttering.
It really works well. I like her approach but I just can't watch her videos, they make me nervous for some reason. Too American. I use the container concept to keep everything from becoming a mess again. I also do the minimalist's 30 day minimalism game once a year. That one makes me look in spots I usually wouldn't (the toolbox in the cellar for instance) to find enough items.
---
I'm doing regular but slow clear outs of everything I own and trying to get rid of things that I've felt so-so about or kept in case it's useful in the future, or products that I've tried but not kept the habit of using and as good as it feels to clear bags to charity shops etc, I still feel like I'm surrounded by so much stuff. I want to reduce my visual clutter but often when things are out of sight they're out of mind (probably part of the reason I've ended up with so much duplicated stuff all over the place!)
You might benefit from following the decluttering method of Dana K White on YouTube. I think her channel is named "a slob comes clean". She has ways to determine how much visual clutter you can handle and her decluttering questions deal with the source of the duplicates too.

Last edited:
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.