Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
this is my issue I absolutely HATE wasting stuff and have a habit off keeping things just incase
Yes! I'm absolutely the same and even feel that since I bought it, it's my "punishment" to use it up as I don't like waste. however, e.g. that hair oil, never really worked for me and actually expired in late 2019. If it didn't work for me then, there's little reason to assume it works for me any better now, years later...

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Yes! I'm absolutely the same and even feel that since I bought it, it's my "punishment" to use it up as I don't like waste. however, e.g. that hair oil, never really worked for me and actually expired in late 2019. If it didn't work for me then, there's little reason to assume it works for me any better now, years later...
Sometimes I get the urge to chuck stuff out but there actually has been a few occasions where I needed it back but it was gone🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Sometimes I get the urge to chuck stuff out but there actually has been a few occasions where I needed it back but it was gone🤣🤣🤣
Re: decluttering - I have an IKEA bag full of stuff that needs to go onto its next stage of life (not landfill!). Where it always contains toys and children’s clothes I’ve left it for about a month now and nothing’s been asked for or fished out so those will go to the charity shop and I feel safe that we won’t have a nuclear melt down over where’s xyz.

Obvs with (in date!) opened consumables appreciate you can’t donate them but there are no buy/regifting pages on Facebook and I’ve listed freebies on fb marketplace before and they always go same day. That way at least you know it’s not headed straight for landfill and someone else can enjoy it!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
My mum is the world champion hanger on to crap she no longer needs. I bought her a new clock recently to replace her broken kitchen clock. The old one is well over over ten years old, it only cost a couple of quid from Aldi when she bought it, it no longer works and the face is cracked. She asked me this week if she should hang in to it ‘just in case it might come in handy’ 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I watched this video by Loepsie where she declutters all her make-up, skincare and beauty stuff and got inspired to do the same. While I only have a fraction of what she has (I'm not wearing much anyway and I'm no Beauty Youtuber...) I still have "stuff". Stuff that I sometimes don't even really use anymore and that takes up space in the cupboards where it annoys me. I'm often strict and tell myself I have to use up X to buy something new, but if I don't like the product that's not working out too well.
Loepsie makes a point in that video that resonated with me - when I was younger it made sense to hold on to some stuff as I had less money. But now, I can afford to throw out a weird blush and buy another one if I find I want it. Of course, should be done in moderation or you end up where you started. But at least it was the kick in the butt I needed to throw out a long expired hair oil that I kept around, despite not liking it since it cost me some money years ago :rolleyes: Tried it for the final time this morning, which sealed its fate 👋
So while I can't say that I decluttered an entire room full of beauty products and there's not much visual difference, it still felt good.
That is a good point as I struggle to throw things away that I don't like/use. Something that has given me some motivation is that I'm going to visit family in Africa this Feb. So I'm filling a suitcase with clothes and toiletries I don't use so I can donate it out there.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My mum is the world champion hanger on to crap she no longer needs. I bought her a new clock recently to replace her broken kitchen clock. The old one is well over over ten years old, it only cost a couple of quid from Aldi when she bought it, it no longer works and the face is cracked. She asked me this week if she should hang in to it ‘just in case it might come in handy’ 😂
I raise my dad to beat your mum.... does she have 4 video players in the garage and a lot of Disney videos ( that he doesnt watch) "just in case vhs makes a come back"

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Regarding beauty products that don't work for you. We occasionally do 'swap shops' at work, bringing in good, but unwanted products that someone else might like or use. Gets those products out of your house, but don't feel wasted.

I raise my dad to beat your mum.... does she have 4 video players in the garage and a lot of Disney videos ( that he doesnt watch) "just in case vhs makes a come back"
Is your dad my FIL 😂😂 I am repeatedly horrified by how much 'stuff' is in their house.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Regarding beauty products that don't work for you. We occasionally do 'swap shops' at work, bringing in good, but unwanted products that someone else might like or use. Gets those products out of your house, but don't feel wasted.
I love this. My local buy nothing group has a basket of beauty products that gets forwarded around

Reactions: 5
I watched this video by Loepsie where she declutters all her make-up, skincare and beauty stuff and got inspired to do the same. While I only have a fraction of what she has (I'm not wearing much anyway and I'm no Beauty Youtuber...) I still have "stuff". Stuff that I sometimes don't even really use anymore and that takes up space in the cupboards where it annoys me. I'm often strict and tell myself I have to use up X to buy something new, but if I don't like the product that's not working out too well.
Loepsie makes a point in that video that resonated with me - when I was younger it made sense to hold on to some stuff as I had less money. But now, I can afford to throw out a weird blush and buy another one if I find I want it. Of course, should be done in moderation or you end up where you started. But at least it was the kick in the butt I needed to throw out a long expired hair oil that I kept around, despite not liking it since it cost me some money years ago :rolleyes: Tried it for the final time this morning, which sealed its fate 👋
So while I can't say that I decluttered an entire room full of beauty products and there's not much visual difference, it still felt good.
I’m still at that stage where money is tight so I am reluctant to let things go as I don’t know when I’ll be able to afford to buy a replacement. I have to really hate something to sell it on, so it isn’t like yes sell to bring in some cash. So many times on ebay I’ve ended the listing early because for the pennies I would get for it, I think i might as well keep it.

I’ll probably be on one of the tv declutter shows soon 😂😂

Although I moved home recently and am planning to have a good sort out as soon as the decorators leave as most things are still packed away.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
One thing I was told is the money had already gone when you bought it. If it serves no use anymore just get rid (donate/sell/throw).

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of storage furniture I can put in my space under the stairs? This is an old pic, the little table can go and we measured the width across yesterday and we have about 90cm width to play with. My first thought was kallax. Doesn’t matter if it’s not absolutely perfect because we don’t plan to live here forever

Attachments

Does anyone have any ideas of what kind of storage furniture I can put in my space under the stairs? This is an old pic, the little table can go and we measured the width across yesterday and we have about 90cm width to play with. My first thought was kallax. Doesn’t matter if it’s not absolutely perfect because we don’t plan to live here forever
i have one of the ladder box kallax’s under mine but my space looks a bit taller than yours so double check the measurements x

Reactions: 1
Bit of an awkward space with the radiator. If you or the partner is handy why not make some storage that you can paint.
It wouldn’t be too hard as long as you get the measurements right!

Is anyone else here slightly obsessed with Korean housewive Youtube? I would go mad if all I did the whole day was cooking and cleaning, but they always have such nice tableware, food containers, etc, plus they're seriously good at ingredient prepping. I love watching it just to relax and get a bit of visual ASMR.

Reactions: 9
I've never watched Korean housewives cleaning videos but I love a good cleaning motivation and I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole 😆
What channels do you like best?

I've never watched Korean housewives cleaning videos but I love a good cleaning motivation and I'm ready to go down that rabbit hole 😆
What channels do you like best?
Honeyjubu or Hamimommy are my favourites. They're so relaxing to watch.
Nami is also good. I think she's in Japan.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.