Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Black.bird

VIP Member
As a child, I used to love going to stay with relatives during the school holidays because they always kept a very neat and clean house. One of their habits was to eat at 5pm - all together, at the table - then do the dishes immediately afterwards and have everything spic and span in time to sit down and watch the 6 o'clock news. At about 7pm, they'd make supper and clean up afterwards.

I had a wonderful childhood with an incredible family, but housework was not my mum's strong point, and she was a bit of a hoarder which made things chaotic. It wouldn't be unusual for us all to have to eat our dinner on trays in front of the TV because the dining room table was covered in stuff. When we were teenagers, my sister and I had chores, among which were to do the dishes, but it was always frustrating because the cupboards and drawers were full of stuff trying to escape, and there was very little bench space (there were massive benches but they were covered in 'stuff'). It was all very manic and a lot of the 'stuff' never got used as it was intended 'for best' (which never came).

It was like comparing night and day - if you opened a cupboard at my relative's house, you could see gaps on the shelving and everything was neatly put away, like with like. It felt very calm - much like the residents who lived there.

When the time came for me to move out and get my own place, I followed my relatives' formula, which really helps to keep everything just the way it should be. I don't really like 'surprise' visitors but if anyone does come, I never worry about the place being in a mess because it's always clean and tidy. I don't like 'stuff' - you won't see lots of display items at my house (aside from a blackbird ornament on my hallway table, I don't tend to have any).

Sorry for the novel ... I got carried away :ROFLMAO:

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Geranium

VIP Member
When my mum died I found so many things she’d never used or worn because she was saving them for best! Made my cry.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 27

MissFlowers

the cupboards and drawers were full of stuff trying to escape, and there was very little bench space (there were massive benches but they were covered in 'stuff'). It was all very manic and a lot of the 'stuff' never got used as it was intended 'for best' (which never came).

Reading this was exactly like reading my experience growing up.. and how my parents house still is, I had a job as a carer, and that house was very much like how you describe your relatives house.. and it’s how I try to live now. I never save anything for best because I like to have little “pockets of joy” throughout my day.. using my favourite things everyday (mugs, cake forks etc) because they make me happy. And extra stuff does not 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 22

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
I know it's not the vinted thread but I figured you lot would appreciate the fact I got a Jo Malone BNWT candle for £6 off vinted lol. Gonna light it on Xmas day and get cosy in my new white company bed linen. 😂

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22

MissFlowers

I was looking at ths panels but couldn’t decide if I thought they were ugly. It wouldn’t cost much to panel mine, it’s a small bathroom
We’ve got the panels in our bathroom and I went for a concrete style rather than a sparkly style and we love it!
2A2FBA09-6F40-494F-8533-7135DB2D69D5.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 21

livingforthetea

Reading this was exactly like reading my experience growing up.. and how my parents house still is, I had a job as a carer, and that house was very much like how you describe your relatives house.. and it’s how I try to live now. I never save anything for best because I like to have little “pockets of joy” throughout my day.. using my favourite things everyday (mugs, cake forks etc) because they make me happy. And extra stuff does not 😂
This might sound weird but I’ve copied the last bit of this post into my notes on my phone and pinned it to remind me to stop saving things for “best” - I’m bad for not using things I love because I’m almost fearful of the day they run out or if they break and they end up shoved in a cupboard, or if I love a mug, I’ll use it as a display penholder or something. Within a week I’ve stopped even noticing it, whereas if I have my cup of tea in it every day, I notice it every day.

• Heart

Silverback

VIP Member
Don’t know if anyone likes Seychelles candles from the White Company but ‘Seashells’ by Marks and Sparks is an exact dupe and a fraction of the price. This huge 3 wick candle was only £20 ish!
805FDD1B-629B-4D45-A095-3A408AB21E62.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha

lozzapaloozza

VIP Member
When my mum died I found so many things she’d never used or worn because she was saving them for best! Made my cry.
I hope one day you’ll feel ready to use those things and give them life. The same thing happened to me when my mum died, she had some items of clothing that she’d never worn so I decided to wear them, give them life and it made me feel like my mum was living on with me. I’m so sorry for your loss ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 20

Carapop

VIP Member
As a child, I used to love going to stay with relatives during the school holidays because they always kept a very neat and clean house. One of their habits was to eat at 5pm - all together, at the table - then do the dishes immediately afterwards and have everything spic and span in time to sit down and watch the 6 o'clock news. At about 7pm, they'd make supper and clean up afterwards.

I had a wonderful childhood with an incredible family, but housework was not my mum's strong point, and she was a bit of a hoarder which made things chaotic. It wouldn't be unusual for us all to have to eat our dinner on trays in front of the TV because the dining room table was covered in stuff. When we were teenagers, my sister and I had chores, among which were to do the dishes, but it was always frustrating because the cupboards and drawers were full of stuff trying to escape, and there was very little bench space (there were massive benches but they were covered in 'stuff'). It was all very manic and a lot of the 'stuff' never got used as it was intended 'for best' (which never came).

It was like comparing night and day - if you opened a cupboard at my relative's house, you could see gaps on the shelving and everything was neatly put away, like with like. It felt very calm - much like the residents who lived there.

When the time came for me to move out and get my own place, I followed my relatives' formula, which really helps to keep everything just the way it should be. I don't really like 'surprise' visitors but if anyone does come, I never worry about the place being in a mess because it's always clean and tidy. I don't like 'stuff' - you won't see lots of display items at my house (aside from a blackbird ornament on my hallway table, I don't tend to have any).

Sorry for the novel ... I got carried away :ROFLMAO:
This was a really lovely read.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Silverback

VIP Member
0A149A71-1313-4502-91FC-D592FF4B24AF.jpeg
I’m sure everyone will probably think wtf is she excited about, but I got these bamboo lidded jars yesterday and I’m really enjoying seeing my sugar and chamomile tea bags in them!

Reactions: 18

AlwightDallin

VIP Member
Ok I know it’s lazy but I’ve bought a robot vacuum and OMG life changer, went on the school run today and came back to a sparkly clean floor. Ultimate hack, my husband was in the conservatory working, keeping an eye on him. We’ve called him Keith after Keith Floyd (I’m that old) because he bumps into the furniture (the vacuum not my husband!)

I’ve also changed to refillable shampoo / conditioner / shower gel bottles, they look very hotelly and thats a look I like and I can see when I need to buy more.

I have a rule of only one thing per windowsill - a plant, a candle etc - and it’s really opened up what looked to be cluttered previously.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

Silverback

VIP Member
9635B116-0B7E-46C2-BE1A-39A2BC9469FF.jpeg
I have a dishmatic filled with washing up liquid and vinegar in the shower, I run it over the glass at the end of the shower takes two seconds and no longer have water marks
White vinegar? I’m going to try this! PS got this lovely vase today- £4.99 in home bargains!

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Lucyxxxx

VIP Member
My husband hoovered up mash and gravy that my son had dropped from his high chair and ever since the hoover stinks?🤢I have cleaned it all out but it still smells. I saw a tiktok that said not to put any water down the hose. It is a Shark hoover the purple anti wrap chorded one
Sorry but LOL what a husband thing to do 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha

Pinhead Larry

Chatty Member
I’ve got a cleaner in doing a 3 hour deep clean today, was doing it as a 1 off because I’ve had workmen in recently but oh my life 😍 going to have to keep this going

• Heart

Dont swipe up!

VIP Member
sorry I hope i’ve read this right do you want a bath? I’d defo go back to the council with the issues you’ve raised here and potentially seek independent advice. I’m fairly confident that if you keep going back over and over they will allow it.

If there is still absolutely no luck you could paint the tiles and just change over the screen door, if you plan on staying there long term I don’t think much will come of it if you change it.
Honestly do what you want!
We did in our council home
We had a leak in our bath and three times,yes three times they came out to put a new bath in and each time they came without a bath!
Sorry what?
You’re going to fit a new bath and didn’t bring a bath with you!
So fed up in the end did it ourselves and new shower everything!
Same for our kitchen
The boiler kept leaking and left orange rusty marks everywhere
They eventually found the problem again after many many attempts
They wouldn’t replace the sides or tiles that had rotted so we put a new kitchen in!
I really don’t give a fuck
We have white fancy tiles from hallway into kitchen and little toilet too on the floors
This is my home
That I pay them for every month.
I’m not living in shit.
I’m really not. This is my home and I want it looking nice not sitting around for them to do there jobs and fix things
So we cracked on and made it so so lovely
Again I couldn’t give a fuck what they say

• Heart
Reactions: 15

MissFlowers

This might sound weird but I’ve copied the last bit of this post into my notes on my phone and pinned it to remind me to stop saving things for “best” - I’m bad for not using things I love because I’m almost fearful of the day they run out or if they break and they end up shoved in a cupboard, or if I love a mug, I’ll use it as a display penholder or something. Within a week I’ve stopped even noticing it, whereas if I have my cup of tea in it every day, I notice it every day.
This makes me SO happy!!! You deserve to be reminded of your lovely things everyday!!

my mum gifted me her champagne glasses when I moved out.. they sat in a box in her cupboard for 40 years… I have them on display and we just used them over Christmas and it sparked such lovely conversations and memories! So much better than sitting in a box! 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 15

JoeBloggs

VIP Member
I saw this decluttering article and it inspired me to make changes. Hopefully they’ll stick 🤞

I have always done this and it really irks me that my husband doesn’t see it. When I put the shopping away I leave the loo rolls on the stairs so they go up. He can walk past them 4 times and do nothing. I’m always saying, take this with you.

I use my washing baskets a lot. Going down, take any empty glasses in the basket. Going up, take any random items that need putting away.

Im currently into my pre Christmas deep clean! Downstairs is done 🙌🏻

Reactions: 14