Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OPI Pro Spa nail & cuticle oil. Been using it for 20+ years. My top tip is to brush it on generously then spend at least five minutes massaging it in twice a day (which slaps stimulates nail growth) for starters if your cuticles are really bad. I use it on my toenails too.

My nails are natural.

DFC41FF8-CD27-4E17-B3F2-18B994AEF659.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 4
OPI Pro Spa nail & cuticle oil. Been using it for 20+ years. My top tip is to brush it on generously then spend at least five minutes massaging it in twice a day (which slaps stimulates nail growth) for starters if your cuticles are really bad. I use it on my toenails too.

My nails are natural.
Amazing, thank you! I think I saw this in Sally's just yesterday, reduced with damaged boxes - hope they're still there!

My nails are a bit grown out now so here’s when they looked better 😂♥
Phwoar, they're luuuush!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Thank you so much!! 🥰 they’re very long (especially when grown out) but I’ve switched to BIAB now which I much prefer compared to acrylics ♥

• Heart
Can anyone recommend a cuticle remover gel/liquid?

I'd always assumed that they were an unnecessary step or something, but my cuticles are in an absolutely shocking state just now, I think it's worth a go?

I use a fairly generic cuticle oil pen (when I remember 🙄) and Burts Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream which I'm pretty happy with, but if you've tried something truly amazing on your cuticles, please share!

Also, has anyone experienced an overgrown hyponychium? Apparently it's usually due to keeping your nails long (I haven't had short or bare nails for 2+years). I'd been gently pushing them down for a while and they've now receeded, but not before drying up and peeling off in a super ugly way! That's something I'll be keeping on top of now!
There is a Sally Hansen cuticle gel in a little blue bottle that is super good. You put a drop on each nail and then use cuticle pusher to move the cuticle away, it kinda dissolves the cuticle. Then wash your hands with soapy water. Trim any hangnails etc with a cuticle nipper.
I've bought it off Amazon.

1661624042370.png

• Heart
There is a Sally Hansen cuticle gel in a little blue bottle that is super good. You put a drop on each nail and then use cuticle pusher to move the cuticle away, it kinda dissolves the cuticle. Then wash your hands with soapy water. Trim any hangnails etc with a cuticle nipper.
I've bought it off Amazon.
Amazing, thanks for the recommendation - I wasn't sure if this was actually great or just the standard default. Ordered!

• Heart
I also recommend that Sally H cuticle remover. It’s very good and works.

• Heart
Yes I do. Not sure if it’s just my salon but the base colours of BIAB that she offers me are very basic

Oh mine is the same, they only have one BIAB and don’t really promote it but as my nails can’t seem to stay long without eventually peeling I’m going to ask cod it next time I visit

I’ve looked into it and it seems like no salon near me does BIAB - is it just a UK thing? My nails are completely ruined from that butchered shellac experience I had in July. They keep breaking no matter what I do

I’ve looked into it and it seems like no salon near me does BIAB - is it just a UK thing? My nails are completely ruined from that butchered shellac experience I had in July. They keep breaking no matter what I do
I ended up googling "builder gel" and the name of my city and found a salon. They also market it as "European Gel" so you could try searching for that?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve always painted my nails at home but never really cared too much about what they looked like however I recently bought a gel nail kit to try and make them look a bit nicer. My only issue is that I have such awkward shaped nails and brushes are always too big, too square, too round or too splayed. My nails are on the narrow side and somewhat short in length, I like to keep the length slightly short too as I do a lot of typing and lifting heavy files at work so don’t want them getting in the way. I can never get a crisp, clean edge especially around the cuticle area because my nails are so narrow, it always looks a bit rough and rushed with some spacing. I’ve thought about buying a set of nail brushes of different sizes and shapes to maybe go around the edges first but I’m not sure if that’ll be too fiddly and cause unevenness with gel.

Anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?

I’ve always painted my nails at home but never really cared too much about what they looked like however I recently bought a gel nail kit to try and make them look a bit nicer. My only issue is that I have such awkward shaped nails and brushes are always too big, too square, too round or too splayed. My nails are on the narrow side and somewhat short in length, I like to keep the length slightly short too as I do a lot of typing and lifting heavy files at work so don’t want them getting in the way. I can never get a crisp, clean edge especially around the cuticle area because my nails are so narrow, it always looks a bit rough and rushed with some spacing. I’ve thought about buying a set of nail brushes of different sizes and shapes to maybe go around the edges first but I’m not sure if that’ll be too fiddly and cause unevenness with gel.

Anyone have any tips on how I can fix this?
I'd definitely try using some smaller nail brushes. You can do like, one swipe with the brush from the bottle and then kinda move the polish around the cuticles and sidewalls with a detail brush to get a good finish without the gaps. If you haven't been stingy with the polish it should settle to a good smooth finish.

I'd definitely try using some smaller nail brushes. You can do like, one swipe with the brush from the bottle and then kinda move the polish around the cuticles and sidewalls with a detail brush to get a good finish without the gaps. If you haven't been stingy with the polish it should settle to a good smooth finish.
Thank you I will give it a try!☺

• Heart
Reactions: 2
After my last disastrous attempt to remove my own gels, I'm thinking about revisiting it (thanks judgejohndeed for the recs - I think I might buy a regular bottle of acetone) this evening. I am not that bad at doing my own nail art - won't win any trophies but sometimes can produce something nice. I think I could get quite good if I keep practising. one thing I learned is to put a nude coat over the top once you do a colourful french tip - it helps soften any hard edges and makes it look a bit neater :) I wish I was as good at taking nail polish off as I am at applying it lol

Reactions: 1
One month difference in my nails thanks to builder. My salon does builder as the base and then gel colours on top. My nails were literally broken stumps before 😫 They feel so much better and stronger already. Colours are OPI Lisbon Wants Moor (first pic) and OPI From Dusk til Dune (second pic) for anyone curious.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9