Your Nail Salon/Manicure Routine

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
can you help me my nails have always been weak and I've bitten them since childhood ,they have never got anywhere near the tip of my finger in length so can i ask would u recommend acrylics (false nails) or can u just have acrylic put on without the tips or builders gel I have no idea where to start thankyou
It depends what you like. Acrylics won’t strengthen them but they’re good if you want long nails but overall they aren’t great for your nails. . But everyone raves about builder gel. Not just on here , but everywhere. If you can be Patient and give it a few appointments you’d notice the difference. It definitely works and looks fabulous on most people.

Getting more and more worried about the effects of gel nails but I do love them :)

Is that after the articles that have been going around
Yep 😂 they do have a grain of truth though! They can make your nails brittle and break, and I’ve noticed that a tiny bit with mine, but the real damage I think comes from pulling the gel off which I don’t do. With the UV rays, every exposure is a risk. It’s probs not great to do them like twice a month for the next ten years although I do love them :)

Yep 😂 they do have a grain of truth though! They can make your nails brittle and break, and I’ve noticed that a tiny bit with mine, but the real damage I think comes from pulling the gel off which I don’t do. With the UV rays, every exposure is a risk. It’s probs not great to do them like twice a month for the next ten years although I do love them :)
How bad are the UV rays compared to UV rays outside ? Or is that a stupid question. I read the same about pulling them off yourself as it removes the natural layers as well. Speak to your nail technician if you’re worried

How bad are the UV rays compared to UV rays outside ? Or is that a stupid question. I read the same about pulling them off yourself as it removes the natural layers as well. Speak to your nail technician if you’re worried
The rays are a lot more intense but you only get them for like 5 seconds. Gel nails will probs not cause skin cancer but every exposure gives you a risk

Reactions: 1
You can get some UV blocking gloves on Amazon so only your nail beds are exposed. It might seem OTT but it could put your mind at rest!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m also concerned after the recent articles ☹ Plus I’m having physio at the moment which is so expensive and I was struggling to justify both, so having a break from nails for a bit.

The issue that bothered me the most were not UV related, more about developing allergies to certain chemicals through improper application of gel polish. I have an allergy to something at the moment which I can’t pinpoint but which flares up soreness around my eyes, I don’t think it’s nail related but itd be good to rule it out. I’ve recently had to swap nail techs due to my old one swapping her working days, and although I’ve been to another girl at the same salon, she’s not as meticulous and a couple of comments/things I’ve seen the others do when the owner isn’t there have me a bit concerned about hygiene and their attention to detail.

Id hate to not be able to have a joint replacement or dental work because of an allergy caused by gel nails 😖 I’m such a worrywart about stuff like this so will probably have them done for special occasions in future, at hopefully a more professional salon. I’m still gonna lurk here for pretty nail pics though!

I’m also concerned after the recent articles ☹ Plus I’m having physio at the moment which is so expensive and I was struggling to justify both, so having a break from nails for a bit.

The issue that bothered me the most were not UV related, more about developing allergies to certain chemicals through improper application of gel polish. I have an allergy to something at the moment which I can’t pinpoint but which flares up soreness around my eyes, I don’t think it’s nail related but itd be good to rule it out. I’ve recently had to swap nail techs due to my old one swapping her working days, and although I’ve been to another girl at the same salon, she’s not as meticulous and a couple of comments/things I’ve seen the others do when the owner isn’t there have me a bit concerned about hygiene and their attention to detail.

Id hate to not be able to have a joint replacement or dental work because of an allergy caused by gel nails 😖 I’m such a worrywart about stuff like this so will probably have them done for special occasions in future, at hopefully a more professional salon. I’m still gonna lurk here for pretty nail pics though!
Yeah that was the other thing, the sensitivity allergies. Basically though they seem to carry really really minor risks and its not greatttt to get them done constantly. Bit of a shame as I love them :) will have to wean myself off them for holidays only or a once a year treat :)

The risks with the lamp exposure is a personal risk tolerance everyone will have to decide for themselves but re allergies etc - some of these articles are very poor IMO. I've seen several blame 'at home' kits for the allergies. This might be the case if people are doing their nails at home and they're curing gel products onto their skin, gel should never be cured touching your skin at all.

But the big risk with developing allergies is undercured gel. These articles are saying bizarre things like 'leave it to the professionals'. I can't even tell you how many 'professionals' I've been to who mix and match their gel products and lamps! Someone I know who does nails and actually has a nail training academy will frequently use base and top coat from brand A, colour from brand B, with a lamp from brand C. This is just asking for trouble and it's definitely not only people at home who are doing that! Professionals should be using all gel products AND lamp from the same brand. That is the only way to know for certain that the brand has tested their products with that particular lamp and they're certain the products are curing. Another thing is how old the lamp is. Older lamps are not going to cure as effectively and each brand sets out how long their lamps should last before being replaced. So if you're going to keep going to a salon I would say check they use the same brand for all products and lamp, have a look at how old their lamps look, and also check if they're storing their tools in barbicide.

I've seen several articles recommend getting dip instead of gel and this just made me laugh out loud. Dip must be the most unhygienic product going, it's not just a brush from a bottle going onto your nail bed, you're sticking your whole finger into a pot of powder where countless other people have also stuck their fingers. Who knows whether those people wash their hands and what they've got under their fingernails? Also, a lot of cheap dip and acrylic products contain HEMA which often causes allergies and irritation - I actually wonder whether these articles are referring to HEMA allergies when they say 'people are developing allergies' because many gel products are now HEMA free. So the suggestion that getting dip is preferable at all to getting gel makes me seriously doubt the research that went into these articles.

Reactions: 6
The risks with the lamp exposure is a personal risk tolerance everyone will have to decide for themselves but re allergies etc - some of these articles are very poor IMO. I've seen several blame 'at home' kits for the allergies. This might be the case if people are doing their nails at home and they're curing gel products onto their skin, gel should never be cured touching your skin at all.

But the big risk with developing allergies is undercured gel. These articles are saying bizarre things like 'leave it to the professionals'. I can't even tell you how many 'professionals' I've been to who mix and match their gel products and lamps! Someone I know who does nails and actually has a nail training academy will frequently use base and top coat from brand A, colour from brand B, with a lamp from brand C. This is just asking for trouble and it's definitely not only people at home who are doing that! Professionals should be using all gel products AND lamp from the same brand. That is the only way to know for certain that the brand has tested their products with that particular lamp and they're certain the products are curing. Another thing is how old the lamp is. Older lamps are not going to cure as effectively and each brand sets out how long their lamps should last before being replaced. So if you're going to keep going to a salon I would say check they use the same brand for all products and lamp, have a look at how old their lamps look, and also check if they're storing their tools in barbicide.

I've seen several articles recommend getting dip instead of gel and this just made me laugh out loud. Dip must be the most unhygienic product going, it's not just a brush from a bottle going onto your nail bed, you're sticking your whole finger into a pot of powder where countless other people have also stuck their fingers. Who knows whether those people wash their hands and what they've got under their fingernails? Also, a lot of cheap dip and acrylic products contain HEMA which often causes allergies and irritation - I actually wonder whether these articles are referring to HEMA allergies when they say 'people are developing allergies' because many gel products are now HEMA free. So the suggestion that getting dip is preferable at all to getting gel makes me seriously doubt the research that went into these articles.
Yeah that's comforting at least, there's always articles that are like is your nail salon killing you, think the risks are quite minor. I do think gel is making my nails quite brittle though so might have a break- but I don't want chipssss after a week and not to be able to use keys for a day :) :)

Reactions: 2
Yeah that's comforting at least, there's always articles that are like is your nail salon killing you, think the risks are quite minor. I do think gel is making my nails quite brittle though so might have a break- but I don't want chipssss after a week and not to be able to use keys for a day :) :)
Does your tech soak off in a bowl of acetone or with the foil method? Idk if it would help you but I always find soaking off in a bowl makes my nails a lot thinner/more brittle than in foil (because there's obviously less of it) so if you wanted to continue at any point that might help you!

Definitely not trying to persuade anyone to keep using gel if they're not comfortable, everyone should make the decision that's right for them, just wanted to point out some things to look for in your salon if you're worried 😊

Does your tech soak off in a bowl of acetone or with the foil method? Idk if it would help you but I always find soaking off in a bowl makes my nails a lot thinner/more brittle than in foil (because there's obviously less of it) so if you wanted to continue at any point that might help you!

Definitely not trying to persuade anyone to keep using gel if they're not comfortable, everyone should make the decision that's right for them, just wanted to point out some things to look for in your salon if you're worried 😊
Foil, I don't duck around with cheap salons for gel as they sometimes even try to remove gel with an acrylics drill and gel can be so damaging if not done properly! Normal polish I'm cheap all the way :)

Foil, I don't duck around with cheap salons for gel as they sometimes even try to remove gel with an acrylics drill and gel can be so damaging if not done properly! Normal polish I'm cheap all the way :)
Omg...gel should only be removed with a drill if there's BIAB underneath 👀 this is what I mean, there's a lot of hysteria around the products themselves but I personally think a lot of it is user error. These days you only need to do a 1/2-1 day course to do gel nails, a little longer with BIAB, it's just not enough. I reckon a load of people did online training or something during lockdown and aren't using the products properly. Nail techs used to go to college for a year. When you then factor in the bad habits that the trainers themselves have and teach new techs, like that woman I know, it's no wonder people are getting reactions. My friend used to go to someone who was a qualified nail tech and all her colours were from a cheapo brand from Amazon, when I told my friend that, she wasn't even bothered!

Reactions: 3