Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Any other ADHD-ers who feel like everyone hates them? I am convinced that most people find me annoying, incompetent, bland, and somehow like I’m lesser than them.
LOL yes constantly!
I will walk away from a perfectly normal reaction feeling happy and fine, and then 2 hours later I’ll have literally convinced myself that I behaved in the most cringe way possible and that the person I was speaking to now thinks I’m a complete moron and they hate me.

Reactions: 11
Does anyone know how to overcome RSD? I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a child and I’d never heard even about it before, I’ve just been reading up about it after seeing it mentioned here and it sounds exactly like me 😩.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone know how to overcome RSD? I’ve been diagnosed with ADHD since I was a child and I’d never heard even about it before, I’ve just been reading up about it after seeing it mentioned here and it sounds exactly like me 😩.
Knowing what it is and why it is has helped mine a little bit. Not a lot, but at least now I know it’s a thing and maybe I’m not always just a massive twit

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
@PartTimeNoseyWitch I identify with everything you wrote. Except for the stable loving relationship sadly. That's a real fortune. I got diagnosed with Asperger's type autism but now wonder if it's ADD or maybe both. The worry that I've transgressed, said something wrong, may get into trouble has been with me since childhood. In fact so much of my inner world seems permanently child like. It's hard to mask it all the time. Good luck seeing your GP.
If it helps at all, a friend of mine is currently being assessed for ADHD/Autism. She scored quite low on the autism questionnaire but high on ADD and she's been told that the inattentive side of ADD often leads to low scores on an autism assessment for women.

• Heart
Since I've become aware of RSD being a thing I have been more able to have a chat with myself and tell my head no they dont think you are a twit/too much/too little etc they are actually just busy/got other stuff on their mind. I'd love to know more coping strategies as I find myself withdrawing if I feel rejected which doesnt help matters at all!

I'm interested to know more about the links to trauma in childhood and adhd. Bought tix for the ADHD women talk online on Sunday so hope to pick up more tips from that.

Had the call yesterday to say the wait list is two years and was I happy to stay on it. Said yes but feeling deflated. Has anyone gone private?

Had the call yesterday to say the wait list is two years and was I happy to stay on it. Said yes but feeling deflated. Has anyone gone private?
I did. Feel very privileged to be able to do so, used my credit card. Worth it for me!

Reactions: 3
I have. It’s expensive but worth it for me. I now have shared care with my NHS GP 😀

I have. It’s expensive but worth it for me. I now have shared care with my NHS GP 😀
Same, and now my NHS exemption covers all my meds because I have a life long condition that needs meds, but I could also have paid for a £100 certificate for a full year of meds.

Reactions: 1
I’m in the process of transferring to shared care at the moment also after about 4 months of private prescriptions

Reactions: 1
My daughter paid last year for a private diagnosis and I was sceptical but her life is so different now so much more settled. She only takes her meds on weekdays ( she’s a self employed cleaner ) as it helps her with work. Downside is it suppresses her appetite ( and she is a recovering aneroxic- albeit from 17 16 years ago ) so her hubby and I make sure to remind her to eat
I can’t believe we finally gave an explanation for her unstable behaviour over the years . I saw a previous post relating adhd to previous trauma and I think there may be something in it as my husband was a really bad alcoholic and it led to a very bad childhood for my children

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I went to the London ADHD Clinic in St Thomas’ Hospital albeit via Zoom.

I have a private autism/ADHD assessment this weekend (thought I may as well go for the double whammy 🤪). I don’t actually know that much about the ADHD diagnostic process. I’ve been filling out some forms/writing an autobiography (haha!) and the difficult thing is answering questions relating to being a kid. I can’t remember whether I made lots of sloppy mistakes or lost things or was never ready on time. I feel like my parents would have propped me up a lot back then, just like parents should!

Reactions: 5
I have a private autism/ADHD assessment this weekend (thought I may as well go for the double whammy 🤪). I don’t actually know that much about the ADHD diagnostic process. I’ve been filling out some forms/writing an autobiography (haha!) and the difficult thing is answering questions relating to being a kid. I can’t remember whether I made lots of sloppy mistakes or lost things or was never ready on time. I feel like my parents would have propped me up a lot back then, just like parents should!
I am mid adhd assessment and I get you, I struggled to think of examples for that one too. I feel like my mum didn’t let me forget things for school etc. But it was easier to reflect on teenage experiences than early childhood, I definitely was chaotic then!

I am mid adhd assessment and I get you, I struggled to think of examples for that one too. I feel like my mum didn’t let me forget things for school etc. But it was easier to reflect on teenage experiences than early childhood, I definitely was chaotic then!
Definitely, I have much clearer memories of struggling at secondary school and beyond. The questionnaire I was doing asks for experiences before age 12. I wasn’t even given homework until year 7!

Definitely, I have much clearer memories of struggling at secondary school and beyond. The questionnaire I was doing asks for experiences before age 12. I wasn’t even given homework until year 7!
For me I only really started struggling at uni because I didn’t have the same structure (though also had failed to get expected school exam grades coz couldn’t revise…!)

I'm still waiting on my ADHD referral, it will be a year soon since I started the process with my GP. I don't know if this is a correct term, but I feel it's 'flared up' recently. I started a new job, in the final part of finishing my PhD thesis, I'm moving house and just general life worries have all built up and I've been feeling SO angry and like my brain is always on.

I have an appointment with my GP later this week for something unrelated but I may ask if there's anything I can have to help in the meantime.

I'm still waiting on my ADHD referral, it will be a year soon since I started the process with my GP. I don't know if this is a correct term, but I feel it's 'flared up' recently. I started a new job, in the final part of finishing my PhD thesis, I'm moving house and just general life worries have all built up and I've been feeling SO angry and like my brain is always on.

I have an appointment with my GP later this week for something unrelated but I may ask if there's anything I can have to help in the meantime.
Hello, fellow phd candidate! While you're waiting for the referral, can I suggest something? High protein intake in the morning along with a walk seems to really help me. I'm not advocating Keto but just making sure you get at least 20g of protein in the AM. I saw that advised on Instagram and thought what BS but I tried it and I do think it helps a little. If you are otherwise healthy, exercising in the morning also helped me.

------

I finally got an appointment with my old psychiatrist, who first diagnosed me a decade ago. Obviously, there's a vast demand right now so even though I could go private, it still took months to get in the door but I'm grateful it was less than 6 months.

I did try meds back then, but I was young and not good at looking after myself, struggled to drink enough water and eat nutritiously. I ended up with terrible headaches, and that was enough to turn me off them. I'm at a point in my life now where for the most part, I am better with food and water, so I think the meds could really help me. Fingers crossed! Exercise used to help me a lot, but I had some health setbacks in the last few years which made exercise impossible or ill-advised.

It was nice to see him again. I forgot how much better he makes me feel. He is really uplifting in terms of how he views ADHD, and that reminds me to appreciate it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.