Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi all - after some advice. My son is being diagnosed with adhd at the moment, during this journey I’ve done so much research, and I realise I definitely also have adhd. And it’s been eye opening, I sobbed because I suddenly realised why my life has been so difficult, like everything suddenly makes sense and there’s no doubt in my mind. My question is, how to approach a diagnosis. I am concerned if I go to the GP they’ll think here comes a bandwagon. And I can’t really say, I’ve seen loads of videos on tik tok can I. Would love to hear how people approached with their GP to be taken seriously.

Thanks xx
Mine didn’t even question me just wrote me the referral. I just told him I thought I had adhd and that I wanted to be referred xx

Reactions: 4
I’m 31 and have always felt different, so much so that from being a child I decided I didn’t want to have kids because if they were like me it was unfair to force them to live with my thought processes. It’s only become apparent recently it could be ADHD, maybe autism or maybe both (perhaps something else?) since I’ve been in a loving and stable relationship for the last 3 years. Before that I kept a lot to myself and felt I had to put a front on. My main concerns are:
- short attention span
- need for dopamine (shopping, completing smaller tasks instead of big ones & procrastinating on big tasks to extremes)
- intrusive thoughts (these are horrible & I’ve had them all my life)
- horrific money management - I KNOW how to manage money but my whims always win
- horrificly rejection sensitive (if my friends don’t text back after a day I think they hate me & have to rationalise I’m being OTT)
- very small social battery
- overwhelmed by noise if it’s coming from more than one place
- can only wear comfy clothes, I know if something will be ok from trying it on

There’s many other things but I’d be here all day. I keep putting off being assessed as I’ve kind of just accepted I must be neurodivergent so when I’m suffering I can rationalise why and don’t feel too guilty but perhaps I could access some additional help which may be of use. I’m not too sure if I would like to be on medication? As much as sometimes I hate the way my brain works, I am me and I worry about what medication would change about me :/

I’m 31 and have always felt different, so much so that from being a child I decided I didn’t want to have kids because if they were like me it was unfair to force them to live with my thought processes. It’s only become apparent recently it could be ADHD, maybe autism or maybe both (perhaps something else?) since I’ve been in a loving and stable relationship for the last 3 years. Before that I kept a lot to myself and felt I had to put a front on. My main concerns are:
- short attention span
- need for dopamine (shopping, completing smaller tasks instead of big ones & procrastinating on big tasks to extremes)
- horrific money management - I KNOW how to manage money but my whims always win
- horrificly rejection sensitive (if my friends don’t text back after a day I think they hate me & have to rationalise I’m being OTT)

There’s many other things but I’d be here all day. I keep putting off being assessed as I’ve kind of just accepted I must be neurodivergent so when I’m suffering I can rationalise why and don’t feel too guilty but perhaps I could access some additional help which may be of use. I’m not too sure if I would like to be on medication? As much as sometimes I hate the way my brain works, I am me and I worry about what medication would change about me :/
Oh my god … this is me! The kids thing was very much about id hate someone to go through what I was going through in my head. Which we now know is adhd …. Meds are worth it but I only take them a few days a week - for work and peace but I don’t need them every day.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Oh my god … this is me! The kids thing was very much about id hate someone to go through what I was going through in my head. Which we now know is adhd …. Meds are worth it but I only take them a few days a week - for work and peace but I don’t need them every day.
I’m still not 100% if I want to have kids yet😂. That’s good to know, I wasn’t aware you didn’t have to take them every day

@PartTimeNoseyWitch I identify with everything you wrote. Except for the stable loving relationship sadly. That's a real fortune. I got diagnosed with Asperger's type autism but now wonder if it's ADD or maybe both. The worry that I've transgressed, said something wrong, may get into trouble has been with me since childhood. In fact so much of my inner world seems permanently child like. It's hard to mask it all the time. Good luck seeing your GP.

• Heart
@PartTimeNoseyWitch I identify with everything you wrote. Except for the stable loving relationship sadly. That's a real fortune. I got diagnosed with Asperger's type autism but now wonder if it's ADD or maybe both. The worry that I've transgressed, said something wrong, may get into trouble has been with me since childhood. In fact so much of my inner world seems permanently child like. It's hard to mask it all the time. Good luck seeing your GP.
I hope you find one 🤞🏼💖. My partner is an angel tbf and he’s aware of how my brain works and doesn’t make me feel bad about myself (which my ex did a lot). That’s so similar to myself too, I’m always panicking about getting into trouble. On the way out of school I would always be worrying the teachers had called to tell my Mum I’d been naughty (I was a pretty good kid tbf too). I always thought my issues were related to parenting (my parents were good but a lot of their ways didn’t help) but now I think it’s more how I am rather than how I’ve developed due to my environment but who knows until I actually get assessed. Thank you lovely I resonate with you so much and wish you nothing but the best x

• Heart
Reactions: 1
- short attention span

You’ve described me too here only I’d managed to accidentally get pregnant before I realised I had an inheritable neurodiversity and wasn’t just this awful, hate-able, useless person. Can clearly see it in the family now I know.
Diagnosis and meds really helped me - meds especially got rid of my intrusive thoughts on the days I take them, and just *knowing* what caused them in the first place really helps me deal with them.

• Heart
Any books and /or weekly cleaning planners (simple design) that people recommend for those of us struggling with executive function and life admin in this area? I just feel so chaotic and struggle with starting and finishing tasks in a logical order

Any books and /or weekly cleaning planners (simple design) that people recommend for those of us struggling with executive function and life admin in this area? I just feel so chaotic and struggle with starting and finishing tasks in a logical order
Unfortunately I lose any planners, diary's, to do lists under the chaos 😆 it's a great idea in theory.

• Haha
I could do with a cleaning rota thing as I feel like it’s such a huge task and sometimes I get overwhelmed or do lots of little bits of cleaning so the house never is fully clean at once.

I have a little magnetic whiteboard on the side of my fridge which I use for shopping list (if I don’t use it I forget things we need) so as I’m in the kitchen and see things which need replacing I add it and then take a photo of it before I leave for the shops.

I plan to get another whiteboard and make a rota on it with permanent marker so I can use that but who knows when I’ll get round to doing that 😂

I noticed on the NHS website it says they eliminate other mental disorders as a cause for the ADHD symptoms before diagnosing someone with ADHD. I wondered how that works as I know ADHD is comorbid with other mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression? Isn’t it a bit chicken and egg?

I ask because I do display pretty much all the symptoms, particularly around inattentiveness. I get super deep into individual tasks but find it really hard to transition from A to B. It makes it hard for me to go to sleep, get off my phone, stop or start eating, manage multiple projects at work etc.. I’ve been like this for years. I’ve had a lot of therapy for other stuff which helps me focus etc but it’s still a challenge every day.

My dad says I’ve always bounced between focuses and was easily distracted from a young age

I really just want the medication 😓 that’s mostly what I’m interested in. I have depression as well and it’s a similar story with that. If the diagnosis helps me access the right treatment then I want to follow that route if possible

I noticed on the NHS website it says they eliminate other mental disorders as a cause for the ADHD symptoms before diagnosing someone with ADHD. I wondered how that works as I know ADHD is comorbid with other mental illnesses such as anxiety and depression? Isn’t it a bit chicken and egg?

I ask because I do display pretty much all the symptoms, particularly around inattentiveness. I get super deep into individual tasks but find it really hard to transition from A to B. It makes it hard for me to go to sleep, get off my phone, stop or start eating, manage multiple projects at work etc.. I’ve been like this for years. I’ve had a lot of therapy for other stuff which helps me focus etc but it’s still a challenge every day.

My dad says I’ve always bounced between focuses and was easily distracted from a young age

I really just want the medication 😓 that’s mostly what I’m interested in. I have depression as well and it’s a similar story with that. If the diagnosis helps me access the right treatment then I want to follow that route if possible
I had a consultation just under an hour long which was used to eliminate mental health disorders.

I was concerned that I possibly had a personality disorder instead (most if my family members do) and I actually didnt tell the psychiatrist that I thought it was ADHD i just told him what I struggled with.

He was very easy to talk to and lead the conversation/questions very well. He said that i did suffer from depression and anxiety but by watching how I behaved during the session he was satisfied that ADHD was likely the cause of the anxiety & depression. He then recommended the ADHD assessment next.

I have been on medication for a month now and it has really changed my life.

• Heart
Reactions: 6

I think the medication being a restricted drug(I know in Ireland it's kept in the locked safe thing with the morphine and oxy stuff) is why they try to rule out other issues first.
I'm on the medication and tbh at least 50% of the time I forget to take it 😬i think that clarifies the fact that I have it 😂😂

It's just because the way it is identified, a big part of the diagnosis is working out what your problems are not, if that makes sense. My friend works in diagnosis and says there is basically a pyramid, and they are stripping away other potential options until you get to the top. So ruling out PTSD, etc, which is why they ask about trauma and also why they want to be sure that you've always had the symptoms. There are other ways to diagnose it (eye tracking tasks etc? something about a ball? I'm not clear on that) but I think the majority of times it is done in this way.

With depression and anxiety, that's not about ruling them out so much as identifying whether ADHD is the likely source of them. So if you're lucky, the ADHD meds will help with those symptoms, and if not then part of your titration will be looking at meds for that too. Titration can be a long process as people respond differently. My ADHD meds make my looping thoughts worse but I can function better. The ones I took before had the opposite affect. Now I am also on Sertraline that has really helped with the hyperactivity of my brain. It's not a magic bullet though, hence why I am on here instead of doing my work. I know someone who is just on anti anxiety meds as the ADHD specific ones made it worse.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Hi ladies. Undiagnosed here but have done half of my assessment and waiting to see a consultant. I’ve just started l-tyrosine and 5 htp today to see if it helps with the “paralysis”. Anyone taken these before and can say how they found them? I’ve heard they’re good

Any other ADHD-ers who feel like everyone hates them? I am convinced that most people find me annoying, incompetent, bland, and somehow like I’m lesser than them.
Ello again Squit :) Theres something called rejection dysphoria I think that people with adhd tend to have. It's worth reading up on, I was of a mind it was because of the mum stuff but maybe not. It can cause a vicious circle if you are also a people pleaser.

Has anyone attended or doing the online seed talk on sunday for women with misdiagnosed adhd? I've decided it's time I try and learn whats what with my 🧠. I think it's valuable to say that peri and menopause can reveal adhd symptoms in women that were previously masked by hormones too. Pretty sure that's what's happening for me. Whoopeee doo!

Reactions: 2
Things have been ticking along rather nicely since I started meds. Work has been awesome and I was promoted at the beginning of January. Today I've had a wibbly day in the office and can't put my finger on why. It's feels like the meds didn't work at all and I was really wowey (sort of spaced out).

Any ideas?

• Heart
Things have been ticking along rather nicely since I started meds. Work has been awesome and I was promoted at the beginning of January. Today I've had a wibbly day in the office and can't put my finger on why. It's feels like the meds didn't work at all and I was really wowey (sort of spaced out).

Any ideas?
Are you due your period? Mine don’t massively work at certain points in my cycle…

Yeah there’s some days that my meds are frankly wasted because my period hormones supersede anything else

Reactions: 6
My cycle is a mystery. I have a mirena coil and ever since I was last vaccinated I either bleed a lot or not at all (I'm also the right age for peri menopause being female is so straight forward!).

Today was better although hyperfocus kicked in and I forgot to take my 2nd dose this afternoon. That'll be me fighting all the munchies later.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.