Women with ADHD - diagnosis in adulthood

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This makes me hopeful
He said I'll be going on methylphenidate?
That's what I'm on! First couple of days I had a headache and dry mouth but now.. so good. I am on instant release due to my job so if you do, don't take them too close to bed time! 4hrs apart, last one more than 4hrs before bed time and I sleep like a baby, which I never used to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
so since learning about ADHD in women from watching Nadia being diagnosed on loose women I’ve realised that I must have it as I literally tick every box, I’ve tried contacting my doctor to get assessed for it but finding this near enough impossible 😖 it’s getting really frustrating now it’s seriously affecting my life causing me serious stress with OCD, causing arguments with the husband, getting overwhelmed with housework and looking after my children I’m tempted to just go private but worried about the cost
It will be the best money you ever spent and worth every penny for you and your family if you do. Your health needs to be your top priority - it’s so hard to be the mum you want to be if you’re running on 10% in my experience, it was so stressful always feeling like a failure. I went private and have now transferred to NHS. It was expensive but I don’t pay anything now because I have an exemption for thyroid medication. You can also pay for a yearly exemption certificate which brings costs down if you can’t get exemption otherwise. ❤

I've just been reading this thread and saw some people mention PTSD and trauma. My therapist believes I have C-ptsd but I have not began treating this yet. My symptoms could be attributed to this or to ADHD as I know there can be massive overlap. Does anyone have any particular experience of this? Having both or one being diagnosed as the other?
I have both, I was diagnosed with ptsd and panic disorder around 8/9(?) years before I was diagnosed with ADHD. I wish I'd known sooner I could attribute some things to being ND (I now know I'm autistic too), like I struggle with eye contact which I believed was a trauma response (man made me look him in the eye as he assaulted me) and I was trying to work on it in therapy but when I was doing my autism assessment questionnaire with my mum she revealed I've always struggled with eye contact, and it sounds silly but I hadn't actually known that. Just things like that.

There are some things that ultimately may be from one disorder or another but you may never know which. Being medicated for my ADHD and just having years to process my diagnosis' I guess I have a better sense of where some symptoms are coming from, ADHD/autism overwhelmed is different to PTSD overwhelmed but both make me unable to tolerate physical touch, it's just one will make me feel like I'm in pain and the other will make me feel like my life is in danger.

Two sides. Same coin I guess.

Sorry if this was rambly and not at all helpful.

I am coming to terms with the fact I may have autism and adhd as I tick the boxes for practically everything, but as a 32 year old woman what are my chances of getting a diagnosis? And some help?

• Heart
I am coming to terms with the fact I may have autism and adhd as I tick the boxes for practically everything, but as a 32 year old woman what are my chances of getting a diagnosis? And some help?
The NHS lists are longer than ever I understand. The most you can probably hope for is a referral. It's grim but probably private is the way to go if you can fund it.

I am 33 and got my private diagnosis a week ago. I started my medication this morning and I honestly feel like it could change my life even just after a day.

I didn't know if an official diagnosis would make a difference to me, but it really has. It's been validating knowing that I'm not lazy/useless/whatever other insults I throw at myself and for a professional to recognise it. Self diagnosis is completely valid too though. I would day it's worth getting assessed for both.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I have been on the nhs waiting list for two years (referred Jan 21). Today I have finally got booked in for my initial appointment. This will be a phone appointment with a doctor in February.

I have no idea how the process will unfold from here or how long it will take to get further appointments but I am delighted to actually have a date after sooooo much waiting. I’m in NI so could be different to other areas in the UK.

I will say- I have been phoning around trying to get information in recent months, I have no idea when I would have heard from them if I had just waited for them to get in touch. It took a bit of work to get the right phone numbers and then repeatedly phoning and leaving messages until I could speak to the right person.

• Heart
Really interested to know if the following is something anyone else on here experiences or if this is just a side quirk of mine that's totally unrelated.

My partner took me to the ballet, it was fine initially but then I kept falling asleep and jolting awake- so embarrassing! I do this all the time on the sofa but also in ridiculous places like at shows or big rugby matches. Normally I'm thinking about multiple things at once and I physically and mentally don't sit still, so I feel like possibly being in one place with a monotonous sound (even if it's amazing music) makes my brain finally stop racing...and then sleep 🤦‍♀️😂 it's seriously frustrating and embarrassing!

• Heart
Anyone else have issues with their identity after a diagnosis? Feel like I’ve lost myself and I’m so grumpy all the time, even though a lot of my behaviours are making more sense now.

some of that may be that work is tit at the mo but still

Reactions: 1
Really interested to know if the following is something anyone else on here experiences or if this is just a side quirk of mine that's totally unrelated.

My partner took me to the ballet, it was fine initially but then I kept falling asleep and jolting awake- so embarrassing! I do this all the time on the sofa but also in ridiculous places like at shows or big rugby matches. Normally I'm thinking about multiple things at once and I physically and mentally don't sit still, so I feel like possibly being in one place with a monotonous sound (even if it's amazing music) makes my brain finally stop racing...and then sleep 🤦‍♀️😂 it's seriously frustrating and embarrassing!
oh god, I do this too! I’m not yet diagnosed, but am 100% certain I have adhd (coming up to a year of being on waiting list, apparently it’s over 4 years here) my sis got diagnosed a month ago after me explaining why I thought I had it, she could afford to go private. We’re both certain mum has it too. I also have diagnosed co-mordities including anxiety, ocd behaviours and ptsd.

all that said, I have no idea whether this is related to adhd or I’m just Tired! It does explain why I struggle to fall asleep without an audiobook or Calm sleep story though.

Anyone else have issues with their identity after a diagnosis? Feel like I’ve lost myself and I’m so grumpy all the time, even though a lot of my behaviours are making more sense now.

I’d say yes, this chimes with what my sister is experiencing. She’s kind of questioning everything, and has stopped masking entirely, and it’s throwing her for a loop (diagnosis in her 50s). She’s definitely taking a lot less shot now which is good!

It's the constant losing & seemingly disappearing items that drives me crazy. The inability to organize myself, the exhaustion of trying and failing to change the chaos.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've just been reading this thread and saw some people mention PTSD and trauma. My therapist believes I have C-ptsd but I have not began treating this yet. My symptoms could be attributed to this or to ADHD as I know there can be massive overlap. Does anyone have any particular experience of this? Having both or one being diagnosed as the other?
Hi, I have cptsd and diagnosed with adhd just under a year ago.
As soon as I got adhd diagnosis and understood more about it, it really changed my relationship with the ptsd and for whatever reason, it's made it easier to deal with the ptsd symptoms and I haven't felt like I need to revisit the trauma for now.

I started to feel that my trauma response (and people's reactions to it /me) were possibly linked to the adhd and how I process and express emotions etc.
Not saying this would happen for everyone but it diluted the ptsd feelings , v weird 🤔

Its impacted me in different ways, having such a late diagnosis has left me questioning EVERYTHING about my life, my relationships, friendships, choices etc.
i feel id benefit hugely with more support around this.

I take methylphenidate, it made a huge difference, I stopped binge eating, stopped ruminating, stopped some coping mechanisms, not jumped into anymore unsafe dating situations, was able to focus better etc, more energy (have a physical condition which causes lots of issues including severe fatigue)

Then my gp surgery completely messed up my script since November, I put all the weight back on, back to wasting hours, messing up at work, missing appointments , wasting money, wasting food, falling asleep in the day, not sleepingat night and struggling to get going in the morning.

The adhd clinic (nhs) has finally intervened re GP and fingers crossed I'm back on track with the meds (from last week) but it had a huge impact not taking them so that's enough proof for me that it's helping!
---

Yeah totally.
I don't know myself anymore, I don't know what's 'me', my personality and what's adhd symptoms.
It's left me feeling weird about all my friendships , I've done some crazy tit that never made sense.
I've pissed off a lot of people and I've been a huge people pleaser, always beliving im the bad person, the car wreck and going out of my way to be 'good' and kind.
Wanting to be kind but also overcompensating for my general 'crapness'

ive also allowed people/friends/family to put me down a lot because ive always messed up, i felt like everyone is superior and let a lot of people use me , or be rude and treat me without respect

I don't know where i belong anymore , who is genuinely in my corner and feel quite vulnerable.

all my strong close friendships have been hard to maintain as my health has deteriorated.
Covid lockdown really exacerbated this and with this feeling of 'not knowing who i am' means i have cut myself off for now, feels like self preservation.

I'm also struggling with physical health issues which has meant I don't have much capacity for a social life , hobbies etc
Invisible illness has led to many unhelpful comments leaving me feeling that friends and family think I'm a hypochondriac and the response to adhd diagnosis has been largely negative or dismissive.

Prior to diagnosis had a breakdown/ autistic burn out, so work has been really complex too, very unsettling, plus kids who seem to be neurodivergent too, and inherited my health issues
generally feeling a bit meh
Plus hugely overwhelmed!
Two weird feelings to juggle!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
@Shawads I very much identify with your post. You are not alone in how you are feeling and yes I too feel the lockdown had quite an impact. In my case I was dumped and blocked without explanation (someone else) after two years by someone I very much cared about. I too have health issues and also with the diminished importance of many conditions by tiktok trivialising so much (not sure how to explain this) I'm reluctant to even be open about ASD/ADHD for fear of seeming like an attention seeker!

• Heart
@Shawads I very much identify with your post. You are not alone in how you are feeling and yes I too feel the lockdown had quite an impact. In my case I was dumped and blocked without explanation (someone else) after two years by someone I very much cared about. I too have health issues and also with the diminished importance of many conditions by tiktok trivialising so much (not sure how to explain this) I'm reluctant to even be open about ASD/ADHD for fear of seeming like an attention seeker!
All of that makes sense to me , understand the attention seeking thing too, explaining to friends and see eyebrows raise and mention of 'bandwagons'...also ended a relationship just before lockdown and been single since.
Have terrible judgement when it comes to romantic/ sexual stuff so luckily I'm too fucked to do anything about it 🤣
Sending hugs and understanding

• Heart
Any other ADHD-ers who feel like everyone hates them? I am convinced that most people find me annoying, incompetent, bland, and somehow like I’m lesser than them.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Any other ADHD-ers who feel like everyone hates them? I am convinced that most people find me annoying, incompetent, bland, and somehow like I’m lesser than them.
Every day of my life pretty much! It’s been better since I was diagnosed and I know it’s probably mostly my brain being an arse rather than me being one but I’m not 100% convinced!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all - after some advice. My son is being diagnosed with adhd at the moment, during this journey I’ve done so much research, and I realise I definitely also have adhd. And it’s been eye opening, I sobbed because I suddenly realised why my life has been so difficult, like everything suddenly makes sense and there’s no doubt in my mind. My question is, how to approach a diagnosis. I am concerned if I go to the GP they’ll think here comes a bandwagon. And I can’t really say, I’ve seen loads of videos on tik tok can I. Would love to hear how people approached with their GP to be taken seriously.

Thanks xx

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.