Wimbledon 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
They've been saying for years they can't do 5 sets as there's not the time in the schedule. But it's not nuclear fission. It would take some effort but they could find a way.

Women's tennis does need a lot of help as it's currently unsustainable. The 3 highest paid female sports stars are all tennis players iirc, and none of them are in the top 100.

Maybe they should do 4 sets and then a tiebreak 5th set?

It's been reported lots how amazing it was that an unseeded player won. I think that highlights the inconsistency of the game at the moment and why its hard to get a loyal following.
They would find a bit extra time if they handled the rain/roof situation a bit better, was it Berretini that had one match go over 3 days because of rain? But I agree about the inconsistency, Marketa winning as unseeded is a great achievement for her, but I personally don’t think she won out of playing great tennis but because her opponent combusted. Compare that to the men’s, I had no idea which way it was going to go until the final second of the match which made it more interesting. I don’t really have a solution though, when you compare to women’s football that has just been lacking in money for so long, the same can’t really be said for tennis.

Reactions: 2
They would find a bit extra time if they handled the rain/roof situation a bit better
They could definitely find the time at wimbledon, but they don't want matches to start until the afternoon on the show courts so they can carry on selling 5k hospitality tickets with a fancy lunch. They could start an hour earlier and get the council to allow them to finish an hour later.

But 5 sets for women seems very unlikely as the WTA are creating more and longer events to try and plug their funding.
when you compare to women’s football that has just been lacking in money for so long, the same can’t really be said for tennis.
Agree, the arguments made for just about every other womens sport don't apply to tennis. The WTA isn't a very well run organisation, all they'd have to do is look to the ATP to see how to do things better.

They've sold off a 20% stake in order to help them plug the gap in prize money. Seems very short sighted, what happens in a few years when all this money runs out? They need to concentrate on getting more interest in the sport to make more money on tickets and viewers.

The new 250 rules to limit top players seem rather odd. It's a great shame for women's tennis.

Reactions: 1
But I agree about the inconsistency, Marketa winning as unseeded is a great achievement for her, but I personally don’t think she won out of playing great tennis but because her opponent combusted.
Marketa Vondrousova beat five seeded players on her way to the title. To say she only won because of her opponent's poor play is rather unfair.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've never understood why after receiving equal prize money, the women didn't begin to play an equal number of sets. What I don't understand even more, is why no one seems that pissed off about it and there is no media scrum over it. It's almost as if people are scared to say it unless equal only goes one way, heaven forbid.

Marketa Vondrousova beat five seeded players on her way to the title. To say she only won because of her opponent's poor play is rather unfair.
Sorry I didn’t mean it like that, I just meant in the final it didn’t feel to me like a final of high quality tennis, both of them had been more impressive in previous matches. That’s just me personally, I’m sure some people will disagree.

I wonder whether Djokovic will be fined for damaging the court? The dents in the net post are shocking, it was terrible behaviour, and letting him off him no more than a warning sets a dodgy precedent.

A fine of any amount will be no more than pocket change to him, but it would at least be a more visible sanction.
Been fined £6,000 apparently. Like you say, chump change to him. 🙄

Reactions: 4
I've never understood why after receiving equal prize money, the women didn't begin to play an equal number of sets. What I don't understand even more, is why no one seems that pissed off about it and there is no media scrum over it. It's almost as if people are scared to say it unless equal only goes one way, heaven forbid.
It's tricky because in slams they get equal prize money where they play less. In the other events where everyone plays 3 sets they get less prize money.

I think with the separate events for ATP and WTA it's much harder to give equal prize money as the WTA events bring in so much less money. It often looks awful on the WTA events where they're usually walking on to an empty court.

Someone needs to take control of the WTA and run it far better. They seem determined to ruin at at the moment.

Hit top players where it hurts - knock off some ranking points or ban them from their next scheduled tournament.

With Covid resulting in Djokovic skipping so many tournaments over the last couple of years, it’s crazy that Carlos has already become World No 1 without really playing him - 2 out of the 3 times coming in the last month - and knowing that they can only meet in finals now. I love that this rivalry is now ON- I am really looking forward to the US/Canada hardcourt season starting soon. Are they both entered for all the pre-US Open masters tournaments?

With Covid resulting in Djokovic skipping so many tournaments over the last couple of years, it’s crazy that Carlos has already become World No 1 without really playing him - 2 out of the 3 times coming in the last month - and knowing that they can only meet in finals now. I love that this rivalry is now ON- I am really looking forward to the US/Canada hardcourt season starting soon. Are they both entered for all the pre-US Open masters tournaments?
Since Novaxx can now freely enter the US I guess he would.

It’s not the rivalry I want to see though, to be honest. I just wish there wasn’t such talent gap in the age group between these two. Guys like Tsitsipas or Zverev (as much as I hate him) should be up there as well, heating up things, but they can’t beat Novak nor Carlos. The two Americans in the top ten, Fritz and Tiafoe, just don’t scream slam winners to me, tbh. Among the younger ones, Sinner, Rune and Ruud are all talented but still not quite there yet. Jannik especially really needs to start beating more top ten players. Matteo looked promising a few years ago but has been let down by his body.
It’s just not a very satisfactory situation if a 20 year old‘s biggest rival is a 36 year old, imho. Obviously, if Carlos dominates the scene, I wouldn’t be unhappy lol. But I need his contemporaries to step up.

• Heart
Anyone watched the Gods of Tennis on iplayer? I watched all 3 episodes last night, really enjoyable to see some of those winners from the 70s/80s and the story behind them

It's tricky because in slams they get equal prize money where they play less. In the other events where everyone plays 3 sets they get less prize money.

I think with the separate events for ATP and WTA it's much harder to give equal prize money as the WTA events bring in so much less money. It often looks awful on the WTA events where they're usually walking on to an empty court.

Someone needs to take control of the WTA and run it far better. They seem determined to ruin at at the moment.
I didn't know that, thanks for explaining (y)

It’s not the rivalry I want to see though, to be honest. I just wish there wasn’t such talent gap in the age group between these two. Guys like Tsitsipas or Zverev (as much as I hate him) should be up there as well, heating up things, but they can’t beat Novak nor Carlos. The two Americans in the top ten, Fritz and Tiafoe, just don’t scream slam winners to me, tbh. Among the younger ones, Sinner, Rune and Ruud are all talented but still not quite there yet. Jannik especially really needs to start beating more top ten players. Matteo looked promising a few years ago but has been let down by his body.
It’s just not a very satisfactory situation if a 20 year old‘s biggest rival is a 36 year old, imho. Obviously, if Carlos dominates the scene, I wouldn’t be unhappy lol. But I need his contemporaries to step up.
yep! it’s insane to have that generational gap (to be dramatic) between the top two. and then the gap in quality to them and the rest of the field.

even the big three in their absolute prime had players like wawrinka, murray, roddick, del potro (when in form 🥲) who were able to give a proper challenge and sometimes to beat them. i don’t see that in the men’s draw for a while - rune and sinner would be my tips but even then still a while off.

I completely agree with this and @LaBlonde post but I’m just grateful that this rivalry at least has some sort of window since there is such a gap at the moment between these 2 and the rest. I won’t write more now as I see there is now a general tennis thread which I’ll go to 🏸