White Allyship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Another one I read about was ballerinas shoes. They are white skin colour and were designed to elongate the legs of (white) dancers. It was only last year or the year before that ballet shoes were made in a tone that would suit other skin colours such as black. I had never even noticed that before and that is white privilege. Same with the band aids.
Points I never thought about. Thank you for pointing this out.

My Facebook feed is making me irate this evening. I myself am white.

Someone has posted on my feed that they are offended by Black Lives Matter. They feel that it means other lives do not matter as much as Black lives.

I can’t understand how people can miss the point in this way. The statement Black Lives Matters doesn't mean they matter more than anyone else's lives. It means they should matter as much as all lives, but black people are disproportionately effected by racism, police brutality, murder and so on forth.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I am absolutely horrified at what I am seeing happening in the USA, NYPD running protestors over with their car, shoving protestors to the ground unprovoked, etc. The police DO NOT care because they feel they can get away with it. My fiance and I had a really long conversation last night at dinner about white privilege, being anti-racist, and the oppression that black people face. We spoke about how he and I must have these conversations with friends and family and how it cannot just be a conversation that happens now because of the current protests but it has to be a long term conversation.

My Facebook feed is making me irate this evening. I myself am white.

Someone has posted on my feed that they are offended by Black Lives Matter. They feel that it means other lives do not matter as much as Black lives.

I can’t understand how people can miss the point in this way. The statement Black Lives Matters doesn't mean they matter more than anyone else's lives. It means they should matter as much as all lives, but black people are disproportionately effected by racism, police brutality, murder and so on forth.
A chance to try and educate that person. Some people won't try to "get" it though which is disappointing but the conversations must go on.

Reactions: 4
I’m shocked at how many influencers are ignoring everything as it’s not on brand for them. They’re all a waste of space, they actually only care about their own pathetic lives which are a lie!

Reactions: 6
I have a very diverse friendship group, white/black/Asian. On the majority of nights out my black friends make us go in front of them to get into clubs because bouncers are more likely to knock them back.

Racism exists in the UK too, let’s not be naive to it. Ignoring the problem creates the problem.

These protests are SO important. If I lived nearer to them I’d be there myself (wearing PPE).

Our voices are so important. We need to use this opportunity. Racism needs to stop. Police brutality needs to stop.

Reactions: 7
I have a very diverse friendship group, white/black/Asian. On the majority of nights out my black friends make us go in front of them to get into clubs because bouncers are more likely to knock them back.

Racism exists in the UK too, let’s not be naive to it. Ignoring the problem creates the problem.

These protests are SO important. If I lived nearer to them I’d be there myself (wearing PPE).

Our voices are so important. We need to use this opportunity. Racism needs to stop. Police brutality needs to stop.
It absolutely exists in the UK. If the UK police had guns, I am sure we would see the same problems as the USA with police shooting dead innocent black people. People who say they shouldn't be protesting need to check themselves. The louder people are, the better. Silent protests do nothing. The loud ones gain traction and get attention.

I am ashamed to admit this now but years ago I was one of those people who didn't understand the term white privilege. I lived in a small town, with mostly white people and was incredibly sheltered. I have since moved to North America, where my eyes have been opened and I began educating myself on exactly what white privilege is and I am embarrassed to think that I never "got" it before.

Reactions: 8
It absolutely exists in the UK. If the UK police had guns, I am sure we would see the same problems as the USA with police shooting dead innocent black people. People who say they shouldn't be protesting need to check themselves. The louder people are, the better. Silent protests do nothing. The loud ones gain traction and get attention.

I am ashamed to admit this now but years ago I was one of those people who didn't understand the term white privilege. I lived in a small town, with mostly white people and was incredibly sheltered. I have since moved to North America, where my eyes have been opened and I began educating myself on exactly what white privilege is and I am embarrassed to think that I never "got" it before.
I also didn’t understand it until recent years. I’ve also always lived in an area with mostly whites people, there was no black children in my year in school. It wasn’t until I went to University and met people from all different backgrounds/ethnicities/cultures that I realised how sheltered I’d been. I was lucky to have BAME friends that were incredibly open and would discuss their experiences and let me and others ask them questions.

As an adult I have made racism my problem. It isn’t just the problem of my BAME friends, it’s mine too. I will challenge it and speak out about it. I will educate myself and others. And at times like this, I will stand with them and support them.

Recognising that we were once very sheltered isn’t anything to be ashamed of. It shows that we have learnt and now realise that white privilege does exist and is a huge problem

Reactions: 7
I also didn’t understand it until recent years. I’ve also always lived in an area with mostly whites people, there was no black children in my year in school. It wasn’t until I went to University and met people from all different backgrounds/ethnicities/cultures that I realised how sheltered I’d been. I was lucky to have BAME friends that were incredibly open and would discuss their experiences and let me and others ask them questions.

As an adult I have made racism my problem. It isn’t just the problem of my BAME friends, it’s mine too. I will challenge it and speak out about it. I will educate myself and others. And at times like this, I will stand with them and support them.

Recognising that we were once very sheltered isn’t anything to be ashamed of. It shows that we have learnt and now realise that white privilege does exist and is a huge problem
I could have wrote this myself 👏❤

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’m shocked at how many influencers are ignoring everything as it’s not on brand for them. They’re all a waste of space, they actually only care about their own pathetic lives which are a lie!
Melissa wardrobe said it well and I knew who she was talking about as she no longer follows them
Screenshot_20200531-205607_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200531-205631_Instagram.jpg

The thing is they will be up Conna the CEO of House of CB ass trying to get freebies. Melissa and Conna are besties irl.. Cinzia and Sophia no more freebies for your fake ass selves

This is terrible, with all that going on and the Russian wife of a ceo if Jaguar is calling the police on a black woman for being in her neighbourhood!

• Wow
Thank you so much for this thread. I am ordering some of the books and also some black dolls for my children as I’ve just realised theirs are all white

• Heart
Thank you so much for this thread. I am ordering some of the books and also some black dolls for my children as I’ve just realised theirs are all white
I just went on the website of the toy shop in my country they have 3 pages of dolls and all of them are white!!

• Sad
Reactions: 1
I just went on the website of the toy shop in my country they have 3 pages of dolls and all of them are white!!
I just looked and found it hard to find, Baby Born have a black doll but it’s pricy due to the brand

If anyone sees posts they want to share. Do so. This is a conversation x

Screenshot_20200531-230121_Instagram.jpg

you know, I’ve been reading seeing comments on twitter and Instagram on the protests... but I’m reading a lot that people aren’t happy that white people are protesting.

I think this is the issue, we don’t know how to help. We can speak on social media behind our keyboards but will that really help really? What should help is, white people being on the streets and standing strong as a unit. But, the amount of nasty things I’m reading when we should all come together hand in hand is just shocking.

Appreantly white people have caused every single fire, the only ones looting and the police brutality at the riots - videos and photos out there say otherwise, I’ve seen people from all cultures partaking in it all and mainly young men with the looting. And the police brutality was cause by no one, they’re attacking news reporters.

How can we all move forward if no one accepts no one?
People DO want white people protesting. I saw a barrier created by white people because they knew police wouldn't touch them. That was true allyship.

There was a white American man who was crying to Fox News that 2 African Americans pulled him from his car and torched it. He forgot to add that HE had been trying to shoot people with a bow and arrow screaming All Lives Matter. Thankfully, someone recorded the true account.

A white woman in a wheelchair said black people were attacking her, when it was clear she was wielding a knife.
If you are going there to create havoc and derail to make black people be blamed. Stay at home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I just looked and found it hard to find, Baby Born have a black doll but it’s pricy due to the brand
And here the doll is only described as having brown eyes, not as a black baby. So from foundation we are telling little boys and girls that they arent even worthy enough to have a doll that looks like them....

I dont live in America so I feel what im seeing is all from the sidelines and I fear that here people will just go about their days. Tried to form a conversation today and they really said; Well that's America... no its not!

I come back to this thread multiple times a day and nearly cried at the honesty that is going on because that's how we move forward.

As vocal as I'm been on Tattle. Is how vocal I've been on my own socials and real life. And it is exhausting. My brain has not stopped seeing things. Even when I want to mentally have a break, I can't because I feel I need to stay alert.

But it does make me happy that the burden isn't just on black people anymore. As I said to my friend "It's not black v white. It's black v racism" so we all have a part to play

Basically I appreciate everyone's input. My brother, George Floyd and many others did not therefore die in vain

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Gosswhore; I really appreciate what you're doing, I really do. Trying to educate us who want to be part of the change. You inspired a woman from a small European country to change, to learn and eventually to act! You brought that out in me and I do not even know you. I'm horrified by what is happening but I see so many people on social media taking a stand, using their voice or their brand!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This is a really powerful video and breaks it all down so well. I did not know about the Amy Cooper video and am absolutely appalled but sadly not surprised that a white person would do that. (A Black man was birdwatching in an area of Central Park where dogs must be on a leash. Amy's dog was not on a leash and he politely tells her that it needs to be. Amy says: "I am going to call the police and tell them an African American man is threatening my life." And she calls the police and says exactly that. She KNEW what she was doing and used it as a weapon against him. Absolutely vile. Thankfully he filmed the incident on his phone). I also did not know about Emmett Till but just spent some time reading about it. Horrific.e

• Heart
This thread has enlightened me hugely. and has definitely given me a wake up call. Just because I’m not racist doesn’t mean I don’t have to do anything with that. We need to stop being passive.

I will continue to follow this thread and educate myself on how I can work towards a more active approach to this fight.
Thanks all for posting it’s so helpful.