White Allyship

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A riot is the language of the unheard - MLK Jr.

People have tried to talk. They have been ignored.

It’s time to make a statement. Protests are necessary.
Are we not able to have peaceful protests? How what is happening now is going to make any difference, if anything when I see it, it just makes me more angry and it's all so pointless.

How can more deaths be OK?

• Angry
Reactions: 5
Are we not able to have peaceful protests? How what is happening now is going to make any difference, if anything when I see it, it just makes me more angry and it's all so pointless.

Some quotes & some decent places to start learning

Attachments

Reactions: 1

The protests are peaceful. The police are the ones turning it violent. There’s many videos circulating on twitter that show this and many great resources out there to educate yourself :)

This thread is supposed to be a safe space for allies. Let’s not turn it negative. We are here to support the movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
I’m so thankful for this thread, I’ve been doing a lot of reading and trying to educate myself and be more vocal about what I, and my friends, as white people can do to help.

@Pinchme The six days of riots after MLK’s assassination resulted in the Civil Rights Act. There are lots of resources on the Black Lives Matter website that you may find helpful.

• Heart
Reactions: 9

The only people who have died at the protests so far, as far as I'm aware, have been killed by police.

The protests HAVE been peaceful. Until the police have shown up and made it violent by throwing tear gas, macing CHILDREN (and adults), running people over and using force against people just carrying out their RIGHT to protest.

What is happening now has the opportunity to make a difference. It's happened before (stonewall, the suffragettes, civil rights etc) and it can happen again. The only way to get people to listen is through demonstrations such as this.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
The only people who have died at the protests so far, as far as I'm aware, have been killed by police.

The protests HAVE been peaceful. Until the police have shown up and made it violent by throwing tear gas, macing CHILDREN (and adults), running people over and using force against people just carrying out their RIGHT to protest.

What is happening now has the opportunity to make a difference. It's happened before (stonewall, the suffragettes, civil rights etc) and it can happen again. The only way to get people to listen is through demonstrations such as this.
Have a look on line, one guy got killed as he was breaking into a FedEx truck, he got caught under its wheels as the driver drove away in fear for his life.
A shop owner trying to protect her property whilst being threatened, whilst others smashed her shop up in front of her, is this what we have become? Is this OK because some are angry?

We now have protests planned for London, hopefully they will remain peaceful, god help us if they turn violent.

To destroy what's around you through looting & fire is never going to be right.

Racism is never right no matter what colour a person is, but what's happening now is not right either.

We are also in the middle of a Pandemic, how many more will die of Covid due to these protests? 😢

Have a look on line, one guy got killed as he was breaking into a FedEx truck, he got caught under its wheels as the driver drove away in fear for his life.
A shop owner trying to protect her property whilst being threatened, whilst others smashed her shop up in front of her, is this what we have become? Is this OK because some are angry?

We now have protests planned for London, hopefully they will remain peaceful, god help us if they turn violent.

Racism is never right no matter what colour a person is, but what's happening now is not right either.

We are also in the middle of a Pandemic, how many more will die of Covid due to these protests? 😢
Sorry but I’m not sure this thread is the right place for you. We are here to support the protests and give a voice to the movement.

Reactions: 16

Those deaths are tragic and I'm not arguing that or saying that they're okay at all, but these protests still need to happen. And like I said, many of the violence occured after police started it and gave people no choice BUT to be violent back in defence of themselves and people around them.

And regarding Covid, the timing of this uprising is the worst and not ideal but they can't let it go now. It's finally making some kind of a change and making people look at themselves and their white privilege and realise that this tit needs to stop and enough is enough. To let that fade away now would be such a shame and would likely just set us back even further.

It is a risk in terms of the virus but the virus will eventually go or become managable, even if it takes years. If nothing is done about racism and injustice then things for them will stay the same for even longer. If the virus doesn't kill them, then racism probably will eventually.

Reactions: 3
Sorry but I’m not sure this thread is the right place for you. We are here to support the protests and give a voice to the movement.
OK, I'm out now, let's just hope that the London protests stay peaceful & many don't die of Covid because of them.

I will never agree with the violence that is being shown in USA, the looting of shops, how is that OK, by supporting the movement you are supporting the violence and death that's comes with it.

I didn't join this thread BTW, my post was added here by someone else.

Bye, stay safe, stay well.

To anyone who has read the previous posts and is now doubting whether to protest or stand up for this movements... we are NOT supporting looting, and violence. These protests have been peaceful until police have turned them otherwise.

The protests are needed! Our voices are needed!

Please don’t let anyone insinuating that by supporting the protests you are supporting violence put you off standing up for this. Black lives matter and I will continue to scream it until it is heard.

• Heart
So we shouldn't support the movement now? Imagine not supporting a movement against racism...

Reactions: 7
Last post on this, Just seen this posted elsewhere, there's a protest and then there's crime.
You said you were leaving. You appear to be having a hard time doing that.

This thread isn't for you, as @prinnygrace said.

If you're more concerned about the looting and protests than you are about the repeat murders of unarmed black people then you need to reevaluate your priorities. Also by the look of that picture, they're looting target. They looted target because they refused to sell milk to protestors who had been protesting peacefully and got maced/tear gassed. AND the CEO of target literally released a statement saying he was on their side. So...

nn.png

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 22
One of many, many, many examples online of the police starting violence on PEACEFUL protesters:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 4
People are trying to protest peacefully but now they are driven to fight violence with violence, following police responses (tear gas, mace, shooting with rubber bullets at point blank range). People are desperate and exhausted - they have been fighting racism for decades with no real change, it honestly feels like the world has reached breaking point.

Don't want to turn this into purely a video sharing thread or anything but this one truly broke my heart.
To people who are most concerned about protesters causing trouble, what a load of bullshit.

• Angry

Just watched this and it’s really made me think and reflect a lot and I know others in the thread may benefit for watching, really listening and reflecting

Why is it now that we’re seeing BLM everywhere, do we feel the need to stand up all of a sudden?

For me, honestly, I think it’s because I never saw anyone different from me, my privilege has made me feel like I’m equal to everyone and I feel upset and ashamed of myself to be honest. I am not the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thanks for being so patient with me trying to formulate a response. Work got on top of me.

So to answer "What can white allies do on social media and off"?

1. Start conversations with your fellow white people (especially the ones who are not allies yet)
- Don't wait for black people to start the conversation constantly, this is a relay race so we are passing the baton as honestly, we are tired.
- These conversations can be about on current affairs happening within black communities such as George Floyd and grow from there.
- Raise unconscious bias questions such as have you ever questioned being in a room just filled with white people, your interactions with police, your position on dating outside your race, assumptions you have made about other races in the past?
- It is perfectly OK if you have changed your initial stance on these bias, but by starting the conversation with other white people you can make them aware of things they may never have thought to question. (For example, my friend put forward the question for her white followers to note how many other races were in the room at team meetings, something they had never questioned, yet after than initial conversation it made them rethink) - in the current climate, you could alter this as how many other races do you follow on your socials? Some people will be shocked.

2. Embrace the Uncomfortable
- You all saw the interaction here on Tattle when I made a clear point and instead of the responder understanding, a poorly formed Snickers joke was made -- and that is because of white fragility which makes white people uncomfortable so instead of trying to understand - jokes are cracked, the subject is changed, defensive go up, disagreeing without understanding and the final nail "All Lives Matter" is uttered.
- As I said you have to feel uncomfortable because that is a small margin in comparison to what black people deal with.
- Question "why do I feel this way"? - investigate those emotions that make you uncomfortable instead of shutting them down.

2. Unlearn the rhetoric: "I don't see Color"
- Wild right?
- Some white allies I know use to think some of the things they said were socially acceptable, but really they were overtly racist statements e.g. "I don't see color" -- unlearn that.
- Don't be scared to say black because if you have two Debbies are one is black, just say it because you can definitely see her colour and that is a part of her.
- So yes you see color - because if you don't you are not seeing your black friends, family, coworkers and you don't see the unequal infrastructure and injustice.
- Jane Elliot (one of my fav white allies) spoke about this here (I would implore you to watch the whole video, but 9.44 is where she begins the conversation), also check out her experiment called "How Racist Are You" on brown and blue eyes she did in the UK on Channel 4 a few years ago here.

3. Use resources, not just black people
- After unlearning you have to relearn and although it's great to have these conversations, black people are exhausted so we can't always be the go-to. So books, films and Google are great resources.
- As I once said to my friend "you cannot say you are well-read, when every book you read is by a white author"
- Join a book club and bring that book as your choice to discuss further
- By reading and watching various sources, you become less of an echo chamber with similar people, you get an insight into issues you may not have known about or known how to approach
- Learn slowly and intentional, not just for the sake of learning

Some of my recommended are:

Books:
  • The New Jim Crow - Michelle Alexander
  • Why I am No Longer Talking to White People About Race - Reni Eddo-Lodge
  • The Good Immigrant - Nikesh Shukla
  • Brit(ish) - Afua Hirsch
  • So You Want To Talk About Race - Ijeoma Oluo
  • Natives - Akala
  • Tears We Cannot Stop - Michael Eric Dyson
  • They Can't Kill Us All - Wesley Lowery
  • White Fragility - Robin DiAngelo
  • Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? - Beverly Daniel Tatum
  • White Rage - Carol Anderson
Films
  • When They See Us
  • If Beale Street Could Talk
  • The Hate U Give
  • Dear White People
  • Selma
  • The Color Purple
  • Hidden Figures
- Sidenote: I do not recommend things I have not read or watched myself, so this is a personal list

3. Curate diverse social medias
- This will help keep you informed and out of the echo chamber.
- With diverse, share and comment on these activists posts. Ask questions so you are constantly learning (plus it allows others who may come across the post and have the same question, have a better understanding)
This way you can also help boost the voices of black people and be aware of what is going on when you receive backlash (because trust me you will, not everyone wants a fairer society and you realise that via social media). This will give you a platform to denounce things if you don't racism wins.
- Use your feed to not only like and learn, but speak out, as MLK Jr said "to ignore evil is to become an accomplice to it"

3. Accept your white privilege
- I know many who hate the term, roll their eyes and scoff but its a necessity to accept and acknowledge.
- It also takes a lot of introspectiveness from white people and again can be uncomfortable unpacking these conversations.
- Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it
- Use your privilege for good in many of the ways listed in this post - if you have children teach them about this, the younger the better
- If you constantly fight against this, I am sorry but you can never truly be an ally with your eyes shut whilst benefiting from a system that consistently fails black people.

4. Financially help
- There are great organisations out there such as ROTA, Race Equality Foundation, NAACP, Color of Change.
- If that's not possible sign petitions, AND keep the conversation alive. Share it between friends and talk about why you are sharing it.
- As noted, I said not to use black people you know as your go-to Google, but if you have events, workshops, programmes on race and know someone who could contribute and earn from this - ask them. You get to play a part in financially helping and also spreading knowledge.

4. Call them Out!
- That's right - call out your problematic friends, family members etc, "Silence in the face of injustice is complicity with the oppressor"
- Call out your councillors, MPs, Mayors via email, letter - step on their necks and make them feel the pressure!
- To be a good ally, we need to see you doing the work!
- It is no longer enough to say "I'm not racist", you have to show your anti-racism through your actions.

Lastly, this is life long work, and now you can understand why black people are tired. So as a white ally, you need to daily acknowledge your own racial bias and commit to dismantling it within.

This movement cannot be led solely by black people. If we want real change, we need real allyship.

Thanks for reading this, the last couple days have been extremely tough - this really pushed my buttons as my brother was killed due to police brutality (why I left NYC and came back to the UK), but the white allies I had made after has truly shown me change can happen if people are willing to acknowledge and work for it.
Firstly, can I start my saying, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I can’t imagine the pain you went through and still go through and the trauma that you must re-live every single time, you hear of yet another black life, being taken at the hands of the police.

Secondly thank you for this thread and that fantastic post. So articulate and informative. My attention was really piqued in 2015 by the case of Sandra Bland. Slightly different to George Floyd but I guess, and I am ashamed to say, that it took her death, to really highlight the Black Lives Matter movement/fight (not even sure if that is the correct term) to me. I re watched the video so many times and would show it to any family member/friend who would listen because I was just incredulous as to why she was stopped, how she was treated and the very sad outcome, all because of the colour of her skin. I wanted to see if people were as shocked, and then as angry and saddened as I felt. I also felt silly, being so far removed and feeling useless. Since then I have really educated myself and those around me & I am sure it has contributed to just how passionate my teenage daughter is on this topic & why she is so upset. I still have a lot more to learn and to actively do but it is heartening to see people talking and sharing and wanting to learn and know how best to help in the fight.

I know people in real life who would get their back up about the term white privilege and would try to deny it (perhaps due to not really understanding its meaning and thus accepting) but your description is simple yet perfect and I will be quoting it. “Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it.”

I will never be able to fully understand but I want you to know that You have an ally in me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Firstly, can I start my saying, I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I can’t imagine the pain you went through and still go through and the trauma that you must re-live every single time, you hear of yet another black life, being taken at the hands of the police.

Secondly thank you for this thread and that fantastic post. So articulate and informative. My attention was really piqued in 2015 by the case of Sandra Bland. Slightly different to George Floyd but I guess, and I am ashamed to say, that it took her death, to really highlight the Black Lives Matter movement/fight (not even sure if that is the correct term) to me. I re watched the video so many times and would show it to any family member/friend who would listen because I was just incredulous as to why she was stopped, how she was treated and the very sad outcome, all because of the colour of her skin. I wanted to see if people were as shocked, and then as angry and saddened as I felt. I also felt silly, being so far removed and feeling useless. Since then I have really educated myself and those around me & I am sure it has contributed to just how passionate my teenage daughter is on this topic & why she is so upset. I still have a lot more to learn and to actively do but it is heartening to see people talking and sharing and wanting to learn and know how best to help in the fight.

I know people in real life who would get their back up about the term white privilege and would try to deny it (perhaps due to not really understanding its meaning and thus accepting) but your description is simple yet perfect and I will be quoting it. “Remember white privilege is not saying you haven't had a hard life or invaliding that, it just notes your skin colour did not add to it.”

I will never be able to fully understand but I want you to know that You have an ally in me.
Sandra Bland was the case that really struck me too. There’s so much need for change 💗

• Heart
Reactions: 3