Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

JoJo76

VIP Member
Ye olde pasty shoppe.
So not a Carrs fan then?
I do like them, but always preferred Ye Olde. I find the pastry a bit too thick on Carrs.

Oh blimey, we have a Wiganer on here. Bet they have something to say about Pies and Pasties!

Reactions: 1

Kthxbye

Chatty Member
the paper mill shop near liverpool central 😭 😭 quite niche but used to go every time we were in town and loved it when i used to make little cards as a kid
We had one of those in Metrocentre too. I loved it there! I've still got a couple of boxes of card and paper I got from there years ago

JoJo76

VIP Member
I’m fancying a Ye Olde pasty though now.
Not had one in years.
I think a trip to see what shops remain in Bolton is in order.
You escaped too then? I'm not too far away, south Manchester. It's about a 25 minute drive for our Pasty pilgrimage. I introduced a local friend to them and they do trips now too! Non Bolton people going there specifically for them.

Mrs Fluff

VIP Member
There seems to be so many high street shops closing that I thought we can discuss any popular ones that have now, sadly, closed.

I used to enjoy buying clothes from Principles, and still miss them.

But the biggest loss IMO is Debenhams. It was my go to for shoes, as they had a huge selection of many brands, all under one roof. I also bought the majority of my Xmas shopping at Debenhams, especially on Black Friday as their offers were brilliant. Many of their stores still remain empty and don't look good in cities and shopping malls.

And now, I've just realised that The Perfume Shop seems to be closing many of their outlets, which I regularly visited.
Aww I miss Debenhams

Debenhams, because it will always be the shop where me, my brother and mum went shopping one day. Me in my pushchair, brother a couple years older. He ran ahead into the lift, doors closed and he pressed the buttons, unfortunately including the stop button.

Queue him panicking in the lift, a lot of waiting around until they got the lift going. And all I vividly really remember is me in my pushchair, my brother running up the stairs after they'd got him out. And then me getting the fizzy drink the staff had got for him because he didn't like fizzy drinks, so me sitting their in my pushchair like a little shit sucking my straw drinking, I think Fanta.
You reminded me I once dropped an ice cream cone in Woolworths once and whilst my dad consoled (crying) me, my mother tore a strip off me.

I also once got lost in Roches Stores (a local department store which incidentally was bought by Debenhams) and for the rest of the story please see above

Last edited:
  • Sad

Shinealight

VIP Member
I do like them, but always preferred Ye Olde. I find the pastry a bit too thick on Carrs.

Oh blimey, we have a Wiganer on here. Bet they have something to say about Pies and Pasties!
Not had one in years.

Millie2023

the paper mill shop near liverpool central 😭 😭 quite niche but used to go every time we were in town and loved it when i used to make little cards as a kid
Loved this shop! I think there was one at Cheshire Oaks at one point…

Not had one in years.
OH’s family owned a pub (no longer there) a few doors down from the pasty shop, in the 1970s. He still asks his mum to bring pasties (we’re about 120 miles away!) and freezes them for a treat 🤣
Years back, I was in Bolton and called in to get some pasties. I told the staff who OH was and got treated like royalty. I was given some black peas too!

Last edited:

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
HMV is hanging on due to a resurgence in the popularity of vinyl. I think their games sales help too.

I miss Morgan and USC for decently-priced clothes. Apparently Morgan still exists in Europe.

Has anyone else spent time in Liverpool and have fond memories of Quiggins?

Shinealight

VIP Member
Sweetens bookshop was such a sweet little shop. I was a bit of a swot at school and often won vouchers for there. I remember buying a Judy Blume book the first time I won. It was right opposite Whitakers.

I haven't lived in Bolton for a long time, but what once was a thriving town centre is now just a shell of it's former self. The only time I ever go back is to bulk buy from Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe to freeze!
Ye olde pasty shoppe.
So not a Carrs fan then?

emm

VIP Member
I know it has been said, but HMV and Virgin I remember going to free concerts for album launches of big bands/artists in the Oxford St ones when I was younger, there is nothing free like that now, I have been to paid album launches recently but it makes me sad that there is nothing free. Also woolworths, of course, pick and mix in Wilkos is nowhere near as good/extensive

Practically Perfect

Chatty Member
Wedding ring world Ha ha. Always had fabulous adverts that made it look like New York…. Preston’s of Bolton the diamond centre of the north….. or something like that.

gutted sweetens bookshop closed to. I also got my first white boot roller skates from Gibson sports next door.

When the original Nevada burned down I literally wept.