Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Shinealight

VIP Member
You escaped too then? I'm not too far away, south Manchester. It's about a 25 minute drive for our Pasty pilgrimage. I introduced a local friend to them and they do trips now too! Non Bolton people going there specifically for them.
I’m still in Wigan but rarely get to Bolton town centre these days, any shopping trips in that direction are usually to Middlebrook, probably because of the ease of parking.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
I really miss Principles it was my fave clothes shop back in the day (and a family friend worked there and used to put stuff by while I either thought about it or waited for payday). Also really miss Woolworths, rarely did you not find what you were looking for in homewear, Christmas gifts for friends children it was great. Woolworths closed about 3 weeks before I moved into my house my kitchen is full of basics purchased in the 75% off in the Woolies closing down sale, most of them I am still using today.

As for the house of Fraser - I last went there over 7 years ago to buy a decent toaster as £9 cheapy one was dying and we had received a gift card for them as a wedding pressie and I put about 50p towards a silicone spoon to use the voucher balance, both toaster and spoon are amazing but wouldn't have gone to HOF if I didn't have a gift card! I don't know how they survive! Hubby looks for my Christmas and birthday gifts every year but leaves empty handed, telling me it's like a ghost town!
Principles still exists in the form of Mint Velvet.

Last edited:

CarmenGhia

VIP Member
Woolworths had been awful for ages and it had an exclusive deal with its entertainment product supplier, which crashed.

I miss record shops run by The Chain With No Name. Some were called Spinadisc. There was one in Northampton that I spent many hours in as a nerdy, music-obsessed teen.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
the paper mill shop near liverpool central 😭 😭 quite niche but used to go every time we were in town and loved it when i used to make little cards as a kid