Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Notworthy

VIP Member
Debenhams
Dolcis
Faith
Woolworths
C&A (great for skiing stuff)
Allders

Shopping online may be convenient but how grim compared to all those Saturdays with our mates at the local shopping centre.

Reactions: 6

JoJo76

VIP Member
It was always the go to place for engagement & wedding rings.
Off topic - When I worked there I sold a Bolton Wanderers player an engagement ring for £800. For Prestons this was one of their cheaper rings, even in the 90's. Not long after he bought a £10,400 Rolex for himself. Cheapskate!

• Haha

emmer_moans

VIP Member
Me and a friend went to our local city centre the other day, it was abysmal. Basically just takeaway food outlets where all the highstreet shops used to be. The shops are all mostly in the shopping centre. Pretty much we just kept to the shopping centre and even that has just the usual same 20 shops as other towns. JD Sports, Perfume Shop, Warren James, New Look, H&M etc. There's no unique boutiques any more. I think I will have to drive quite a way to get somewhere with unique shops.

Without Debenhams in my city, it does feel more difficult to find gifts for people who are hard to buy for. Usually Debenhams would save the day, for me.

Wynonna

Chatty Member
The Body Shop. I know it still exists but it used to be a lot better than it is now.

Reactions: 5

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Debenhams, because it will always be the shop where me, my brother and mum went shopping one day. Me in my pushchair, brother a couple years older. He ran ahead into the lift, doors closed and he pressed the buttons, unfortunately including the stop button.

Queue him panicking in the lift, a lot of waiting around until they got the lift going. And all I vividly really remember is me in my pushchair, my brother running up the stairs after they'd got him out. And then me getting the fizzy drink the staff had got for him because he didn't like fizzy drinks, so me sitting their in my pushchair like a little shit sucking my straw drinking, I think Fanta.

• Haha

EffingDust

Chatty Member
Warehouse and Oasis were always my go-tos, without fail I could find something I liked there and used to stock up in the sales.

you still see stuff branded as warehouse and oasis but it’s all Boohoo crap and the quality and style is very different.

Millie2023

Woolworths for sure! Their pic n mix counter and Christmas tat 😍
We used to have a stationers nearby (small chain in the north west) called Partners, it was amazing and started my obsession with stationery!
Any shop that sold stickers on the roll 😍
I miss the House of Fraser of old…..

whoareyouu

VIP Member
I just don't get what Sports Direct are trying to achieve with HoF/Frasers anymore. They just seem to buy every failing brand and then shove everything into one store. But then are they launching Frasers department stores, Flannels department stores, sports Direct department stores?
They are opening a huge Flannels department store near me but that’s just too high end I think.

HOF was high end but it wasn’t like Gucci and all that jazz.
I’ll never forget going in HOF before it shut and seeing the big buckets full of Donnay socks. It just took the shine off the whole experience.

If I want cheap sportswear I’ll go to SD. I feel like they’re ruining their own brand…

Sibz

VIP Member
I miss doing my christmas shopping in BHS and Debenhams. The Toys r us advert being on. Going in Woolies as a kid for the toys section, then later as a teen for the back to school stationary and CD's. Dorothy Perkins, Miss selfridge and Topshop too.

• Heart

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
C&A
Woolworths
Debenhams
BHS
Ect.
Strangely enough, John Lewis moved into a former shopping mall in my locality, a few years ago. Bucking the trend of shops closing down.

Reactions: 4

Practically Perfect

Chatty Member
I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.

ATV2021

VIP Member
I do miss BHS at Christmas. They had such good bits in there! Debenhams was one of my sale shops for next years bits. Clinging onto boots and card factory now 😆