Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emm

VIP Member
Not a Londoner so never went to album launches etc. And I know HMV still just about manages to keep going. But for me it was never as good as Virgin Megastore/Zavvi it turned into. I was never big into music back then, but I loved nothing more than walking through the DVD selection, looking for something new or a good value boxset. Downloads/streaming just aren't the same.

But I'm guilty for using both, they just don't have that excitement of a shopping trip special event thing.
Yeh I use streaming etc too, but the enjoyment of just spending hours wandering around a huge HMV etc is something I miss! I do the same in bookshops now, thank god they still exist !

Reactions: 2

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
House of Fraser.

I think there are still branches across the UK but they shut the one near me and it’s SUCH a miss at Christmas time.

I also miss Topshop.

Woolworths was great and reminds me of good times as a child. BHS, loved going in there with my Grandma.

Shopping just isn’t the same now!
I just don't get what Sports Direct are trying to achieve with HoF/Frasers anymore. They just seem to buy every failing brand and then shove everything into one store. But then are they launching Frasers department stores, Flannels department stores, sports Direct department stores?

No style rocky

There are many stores with empty shelves right now. I spent my teens and twenties working in retail and if you had a shelf or arm end empty and god forbid your area manager walked in at that moment (even if you were carrying stock to replenish it) you’d be given some serious side eye and notes made on their visit report. Anyways enough of the reminiscing it just strikes me that things must be really bad to go from that extreme to the current situation. QUOTE="StephenTJackson, post: 12399525, member: 1065"]
Don't want to worry you, but there are question marks about Wilko. Lots of whispers of trouble potentially brewing. Lots of stores seemingly struggling to get stock in, to an extreme level, also apparently lots of talks between Wilko and their landlords.

I certainly hope they don't go under like you, because it's such a good shop and has so much range and when it's good it's great, just feels like they are in a sticky patch at the moment.
[/QUOTE]

JoJo76

VIP Member
Wedding ring world Ha ha. Always had fabulous adverts that made it look like New York…. Preston’s of Bolton the diamond centre of the north….. or something like that.

gutted sweetens bookshop closed to. I also got my first white boot roller skates from Gibson sports next door.

When the original Nevada burned down I literally wept.
Sweetens bookshop was such a sweet little shop. I was a bit of a swot at school and often won vouchers for there. I remember buying a Judy Blume book the first time I won. It was right opposite Whitakers.

I haven't lived in Bolton for a long time, but what once was a thriving town centre is now just a shell of it's former self. The only time I ever go back is to bulk buy from Ye Olde Pastie Shoppe to freeze!

Ilovemusic

VIP Member
It really did. I do miss Debenhams (and BHS) especially at Christmas. When all else failed then you could always rely on it.
Our city centre is dire, even the large M&S has gone, have to travel five miles to another town now. I really miss Debenhams too, lots of choice in just one store.

• Sad

Shinealight

VIP Member
I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.
Whitakers in Bolton?
A great store.

Reactions: 1

henriettadubois2

VIP Member
Forfars (if you are from the SE)
Top Shop x10000000
C&A, Early Learning Centre and Woolies = my childhood
Anita Roddicks Body Shop

Lord Voldemort

I know it has been said, but HMV and Virgin I remember going to free concerts for album launches of big bands/artists in the Oxford St ones when I was younger, there is nothing free like that now, I have been to paid album launches recently but it makes me sad that there is nothing free. Also woolworths, of course, pick and mix in Wilkos is nowhere near as good/extensive
Omg yes I spent half my teenage years at the virgin megastore on Tottenham court road, saw and met so many bands there!

• Heart

Katienana

So many!
Kookai and Morgan - I wouldn't be still shopping there now but when I was 15-21 I got some great stuff in there (cream wide leg trousers and a red asymmetric top from Kookai, black satin hipsters from Morgan).
Obviously Topshop, Oasis and Warehouse. Still have lots of things in my wardrobe from all of them. I know they are online but they aren't the same.
I missed Debenhams this Christmas, it was always good for buying Christmas presents for my Dad and husband as well as having all the concessions, the lingerie, home department. If I want to buy a new duvet for example in our big shopping centre I can only think of marks and spencer and tk maxx now that would have them. And I'm talking one of the biggest shopping centres in the UK. There's much less choice if you want to go out and buy something and then online it's just overwhelming!

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Yeh I use streaming etc too, but the enjoyment of just spending hours wandering around a huge HMV etc is something I miss! I do the same in bookshops now, thank god they still exist !
It's the browsing that made it special. Doing it for books is just as enjoyable, and the smell. Although I don't get the chance to do that as often as I'd like either.

• Heart

RR20

I loved C&A carrier bags
HMV
Wimpey
BHS
Whitakers ( was a local department store)
Partners
Au naturel
Chelsea girl
Talibs, not sure if this was local but had the best jeans
Andy’s records
Index
Butty shop at bottom of my mums street, was woman’s front room I think but she made the best sandwiches
local chippy for Friday night tea while I watched Monkey, NOW a kebab shop
but I miss catalogues the most, more so at this time of year and making my Christmas list. You can see old Argos ones online, gives me all the nostalgia feels of fave toys I had as a kid, and also good for a laugh if you are an oldie like me.
I think Chelsea Girl became River Island

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I know it has been said, but HMV and Virgin I remember going to free concerts for album launches of big bands/artists in the Oxford St ones when I was younger, there is nothing free like that now, I have been to paid album launches recently but it makes me sad that there is nothing free. Also woolworths, of course, pick and mix in Wilkos is nowhere near as good/extensive
Not a Londoner so never went to album launches etc. And I know HMV still just about manages to keep going. But for me it was never as good as Virgin Megastore/Zavvi it turned into. I was never big into music back then, but I loved nothing more than walking through the DVD selection, looking for something new or a good value boxset. Downloads/streaming just aren't the same.

But I'm guilty for using both, they just don't have that excitement of a shopping trip special event thing.