Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I worked for Northumbria police for 20 years. The one case that reduced me to tears and haunts me to this day was the Murder of Brett Martin. You can Google it if your interested but I will not post a link.

Such an innocent soul who only wanted to be liked.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Outside of people I know:

Holly & Jessica. I was really young but I remember seeing it on GMTV while I was sitting in the lounge before school.

Also April Jones got to me, I followed that case.

I also remember when I was younger we were having dinner and the radio was on and a news story about a family whose house burnt down from a candle was spoken about, I don’t think anyone was hurt but I’ve hated candles ever since hearing it so I guess that stuck with me too!

Reactions: 3
I worked for Northumbria police for 20 years. The one case that reduced me to tears and haunts me to this day was the Murder of Brett Martin. You can Google it if your interested but I will not post a link.

Such an innocent soul who only wanted to be liked.
Do you mean Brent Martin? I cannot find anything about Brett Martin being murdered (although a Brett Martin did find a murdered family so I’m really confused now).

Reactions: 6
I watch a lot of true life crime programmes, but I avoid any about paedophiles. Just find them too upsetting.

Reactions: 5
Outside of people I know:

Holly & Jessica. I was really young but I remember seeing it on GMTV while I was sitting in the lounge before school.

Also April Jones got to me, I followed that case.

I also remember when I was younger we were having dinner and the radio was on and a news story about a family whose house burnt down from a candle was spoken about, I don’t think anyone was hurt but I’ve hated candles ever since hearing it so I guess that stuck with me too!
Near where my Aunt lives there was a similar story where a candle fell over and the entire flat burned down everyone was dead but the mam survived. I rarely use candles since hearing that story. I couldn’t even bare to think of what that poor woman went through and is probably still going through.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
The London bombings April 1993

It was 17:14 and I was on my way home from college, waiting for my train at Charing Cross Station. The station was absolutely heaving with of commuters. Suddenly, all the shutter boards flipped to black, the pay phones had stopped working ( this was before mobile phones), the gates to the trains closed and the exit doors locked. We had been locked in. After what felt like ages there was an announcement that came over informing us that there was a bomb in one of the bins.

People were calm but many were crying and distraught. I remember it dawning on me that if this bomb(s) was detonated then we were all collateral damage. It was OK for us to die. The army and police came in and very slowly removed the bins.

It was after midnight before we were allowed to leave the station, but not by train or tube. My dad had seen the news which was quickly blacked out (they do this to stop panic) and had driven up to see what was happening. As I walked out he was being comforted by a WPC and he was really sobbing. I've never felt so loved nor been so pleased to see anyone in my entire life❤.

I was 18 years old.

FYI: That is the reason why their are no council bins London.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 28
As so many have said Dunblane will be the most memorable new story in our life time. I remember how quick the government kicked in to action with laws, with a gun amnesty and every schools security being hiked up instantly. I read Piers Morgans memoirs years ago when he was still editing tabloids and he said it was the hardest story he'd ever had to cover (I know he's a dick but that's still a really good book if you're interested in news stories)
Sadly the government didn’t jump right into action as a lot of people seem to think, it took months of the family’s of the children campaigning and raising hundreds of thousands of signatures before they changed the gun laws. Boris Johnston at the time (whilst he was also just a journalist) wrote an awful piece about in his view gun laws shouldn’t change.
The families of the children really had to fight for the government to step up

• Sad
The London bombings in 2007 will always stay with me. I was in a lesson at secondary school, and the news started to spread around. I was so so scared, because I was sure my Dad was at work in Westminster. I remember ringing and ringing his mobile and the house phone, only to have woken him up because he was in fact on night shift. The relief I felt was unreal, but as was the sadness I felt for all those who lost a loved one.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Sadly the government didn’t jump right into action as a lot of people seem to think, it took months of the family’s of the children campaigning and raising hundreds of thousands of signatures before they changed the gun laws. Boris Johnston at the time (whilst he was also just a journalist) wrote an awful piece about in his view gun laws shouldn’t change.
The families of the children really had to fight for the government to step up
Oh really! tit my mistake! I guess at the time as an 11 year old it seemed quite fast. I just remember my school getting code locks on all outside doors and cctv on every corner.

Reactions: 2
The deaths of the members and manager of Viola Beach. I feel horrified every time I think about it. Funnily enough I barely remember the actual news story, just looking into it months/years later.

Reactions: 11
The house of horrors in Sheffield. The mother who killed two of her sons and attempted to kill the rest of her children in 2019. The whole story makes me sick to my stomach those poor children 🥺.

I’ve just been reminded of the awful story of the grandad accidentally dropping his granddaughter out the window of a cruise ship. I remember crying so much over that story and every now and then I think about how hard the whole situation was for the family. Tragic.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 13
The London bombings in 2007 will always stay with me. I was in a lesson at secondary school, and the news started to spread around. I was so so scared, because I was sure my Dad was at work in Westminster. I remember ringing and ringing his mobile and the house phone, only to have woken him up because he was in fact on night shift. The relief I felt was unreal, but as was the sadness I felt for all those who lost a loved one.
My friend was working in London at the time and the bus in Tavistock Square was the one she got to work every morning.

That morning her alarm didn't go off and she slept in.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
My friend was working in London at the time and the bus in Tavistock Square was the one she got to work every morning.

That morning her alarm didn't go off and she slept in.
It’s the bus that still gets me, all these years later. The majority of those people were only on the bus because their original journey was disrupted by the the shutting down. They had contacted their families to say they were OK. It’s awful. A friend of mine was running to try and catch that bus, doesn’t bear thinking about really! As with your friend, one of those sliding doors moments where everything could have been so different.

I was 15 when it happened and at school on the outskirts of London... I remember people starting to get texts and calls from family to say they were OK and we didn’t have a clue what had happened because we weren’t plugged into the internet constantly like we are now!

Reactions: 8
I remember the 7/7 bombings too, I was working in Liverpool at the time - did they not announce just earlier that day/week that we had won the Olympic bid for 2012? That morning on Radio 1 they kept saying there had been an outrage on the tube, but they kept saying that often you started to get suspicious. Again, the internet was just not at our disposal then, as it is now!

Reactions: 5
I’ve just been reminded of the awful story of the grandad accidentally dropping his granddaughter out the window of a cruise ship. I remember crying so much over that story and every now and then I think about how hard the whole situation was for the family. Tragic.

I was on holiday on another cruise ship at the time and we docked at the same place where it happened the following day - the sheer size of the boats next to the concrete docks is truly frightening :(

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.