Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On a personal level, I have known two young women who commited suicide and were in the news to some extent. There names were Paige and Irene and I think of them often.

On a national news level:
Alesha Macphail. I made the mistake of following the trial and reading the judgements. I imagine they were redacted to some extent but still horrifying.
Ruth Wilson. Just such a bizarre disappearance. I watched a documentary about her recently and was so touched by her friends thinking of her after all the years.
Abigail and Liberty (Delphi). I can't believe it hasn't been solved when there is video evidence.

Also PC Andrew Harper. I used to work not too far from where he was killed, and we were basically told to accept the way the traveller community was.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
On a personal level, I have known two young women who commited suicide and were in the news to some extent. There names were Paige and Irene and I think of them often.

On a national news level:
Alesha Macphail. I made the mistake of following the trial and reading the judgements. I imagine they were redacted to some extent but still horrifying.
Ruth Wilson. Just such a bizarre disappearance. I watched a documentary about her recently and was so touched by her friends thinking of her after all the years.
Abigail and Liberty (Delphi). I can't believe it hasn't been solved when there is video evidence.

Also PC Andrew Harper. I used to work not too far from where he was killed, and we were basically told to accept the way the traveller community was.
Alesha Macphail was just the most horrific case ever. The fact her killer was 16 as well, so evil at such a young age, he’d apparently killed many animals before this so there were signs. Alesha’s poor Mum, thinking she’d be safe with her Dad and grandparents but never getting to see her again and knowing the horror of her final moments. She should have been safe on such a quiet island, the dangers of drugs and the damage they can cause in so many ways.

Reactions: 8
Alesha Macphail was just the most horrific case ever. The fact her killer was 16 as well, so evil at such a young age, he’d apparently killed many animals before this so there were signs. Alesha’s poor Mum, thinking she’d be safe with her Dad and grandparents but never getting to see her again and knowing the horror of her final moments. She should have been safe on such a quiet island, the dangers of drugs and the damage they can cause in so many ways.
Horrific I was on Facebook at the time when her mum came on and found out about Alesha 💔 I will never forget it

• Sad
Reactions: 1
Other than the big ones: 9/11, Diana etc

The Antigua Honeymoon murders. I just found it so incredibly sad, especially as the husband was said to have stayed conscious until help arrived and eventually dying. Buried in the same church they married in. Odd to as Antigua is generally known to be one of the safest Caribbean islands. I followed the case religiously at the time.

Murder of Anni Dewani. A beautiful, intelligent, kind young woman. At best Shrien was completely innocent and just happened to get incredibly lucky that he escaped from a marriage he didn't want to be in. At worst he orchestrated it and got away with it. So sad that one of the key witnesses to Shrien being a gay man who used Male prostitutes and confessed to him he needed Anni gone later took his own life due to guilt.

Reactions: 7
I was in the car parked up on the coast line near wemyss bay watching the sun come up that morning and I’ll never forget the sight of the police units going over on the ferry to the island. It wasn’t until hours later that I found out what had happened and my heart still breaks for her family.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the murder of Angelika Kluk has always stuck with me. She was murdered and hidden under a church floor in Glasgow. Her killer was the handyman there. He went on the run, and after finding out his real identity, Peter Tobin, he was found in a hospital in England.

Eventually he was also found to have kidnapped and killed Dinah McNicol and Vicky Hamilton. They had been kidnapped and murdered separately, and buried in his back garden. He moved about so much that I don't think anyone believes he doesn't have more victims. I believe he also has convictions for sexual assaults on young women.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but the murder of Angelika Kluk has always stuck with me. She was murdered and hidden under a church floor in Glasgow. Her killer was the handyman there. He went on the run, and after finding out his real identity, Peter Tobin, he was found in a hospital in England.

Eventually he was also found to have kidnapped and killed Dinah McNicol and Vicky Hamilton. They had been kidnapped and murdered separately, and buried in his back garden. He moved about so much that I don't think anyone believes he doesn't have more victims. I believe he also has convictions for sexual assaults on young women.
There have also been suspicions that Tobin could be Bible John, the unidentified serial killer who preyed on women at the Barrowlands Ballroom in Glasgow between 1968-1969.

Reactions: 11
The murder of Banaz Mahmod - so called honour killing, but plain simple evil murder to me. She knew it would happen too, and tried reporting it to the police. She was failed by so many people.

This is another one that has stuck with me, as it happened less than 5 minutes walk from my house. They were tried and convicted of murder. I remember for about a week afterwards there were news trucks and reporters everywhere in the surrounding area. And some scumbag photographers that got photos of his widow going back to the house to collect some belongings. Of course the DailFail printed every single one.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Some that were before my time but I always think about them

the stardust fire in 1981 in Dublinhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_fire
A Valentine’s Day disco in which 48 people died after a fire broke out and the doors and exits had been locked or blocked to stop people sneaking in without paying. So many people suffering with survivors guilt after this.

the murder of Aidan McAnespie in 1988 in Tyrone https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_McAnespie
He had been harassed by British soldiers for years previously, and a few days before he was shot, the soldiers told his father that they had a bullet with Aidan’s name on it. He was going to play football and they shot him walking down the road, and tried to claim it was an accident and that the soldiers hands were wet 😭

the murder of Michaela mcareavey in 2011 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Michaela_McAreavey
She was on honeymoon with her new husband, and had went back up to their room to get teabags and chocolate bars that she had taken with her from home, when she disturbed a burglary in her room and they murdered her. Her husband found her in the bath tub. I went to her wake and she was buried in her wedding dress that she had only worn a few weeks before.

• Sad
Reactions: 10

I live on the street he used to live in, believed to have lived here when he killed Vicky Hamilton.

Reactions: 1
Ciaran Morris, 2 week old premature baby who died after his pram was struck by a car .
Such a tragic and upsetting story.
The similar story of Louis Thorold has stuck with me to the point that I won’t take my baby for walks by roads. Instead I’ll drive somewhere like the park which realistically is statistically more risky but I just can’t get out of my head the idea of a pram being struck & having to go home without your baby.
The Mum in this case was struck too and was in a coma unaware her boy was gone 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 9
Baby P and other children who were allowed to be neglected to death while people did nothing.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Baby P and other children who were allowed to be neglected to death while people did nothing.
Actually, the social worker did everything to try and get them removed and kept escalating but no one would listen to or support her. I really dislike the narrative that that poor social worker did nothing because if you read the report, they couldn't have done anymore and she got so much blame.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Any murder news stories really, especially the gruesome ones where the victim has their body dismembered or is killed in a way where it makes you think 'why?'
I mean what makes someone kill someone, let alone in a gruesome way. It makes my blood boil when I hear that a person suffered. I feel like murderers deserve a life in prison of hard labour, every day, just punish them without the death penalty. That is what I feel prison should be. Hard labour for the hardest of criminals. No laying around in a cell.

Reactions: 11
Some that have stuck with me are
* The murders of Lynn and Meghan Russell
* Ralph Moat
* Dunblane shootings
* Lockerbie
* The murder of Tia Sharpe
* Shannon Matthews

Reactions: 2
Actually, the social worker did everything to try and get them removed and kept escalating but no one would listen to or support her. I really dislike the narrative that that poor social worker did nothing because if you read the report, they couldn't have done anymore and she got so much blame.
Speaking to family members that work with children in various capacities, they often see things happening and when they try and do something about it they are knocked back by their superiors or by the thresholds that the government has set.

• Sad
Speaking to family members that work with children in various capacities, they often see things happening and when they try and do something about it they are knocked back by their superiors or by the thresholds that the government has set.
Absolutely. I work with kids myself, although not in social care. The scary thing is in most cases you get no support when things escalate and no one listens but if something were to go wrong, guess who'd be the scapegoat?

Reactions: 8
Some that were before my time but I always think about them

the stardust fire in 1981 in Dublinhttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stardust_fire
A Valentine’s Day disco in which 48 people died after a fire broke out and the doors and exits had been locked or blocked to stop people sneaking in without paying. So many people suffering with survivors guilt after this.

the murder of Aidan McAnespie in 1988 in Tyrone https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidan_McAnespie
He had been harassed by British soldiers for years previously, and a few days before he was shot, the soldiers told his father that they had a bullet with Aidan’s name on it. He was going to play football and they shot him walking down the road, and tried to claim it was an accident and that the soldiers hands were wet 😭

the murder of Michaela mcareavey in 2011 https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Michaela_McAreavey
She was on honeymoon with her new husband, and had went back up to their room to get teabags and chocolate bars that she had taken with her from home, when she disturbed a burglary in her room and they murdered her. Her husband found her in the bath tub. I went to her wake and she was buried in her wedding dress that she had only worn a few weeks before.
Michaela always stuck with me too. Such a stunning looking girl. I always think about how scared she must've been 😢

The Rising Sun massacre always sticks in my mind too. Loyalist gunmen burst into a Halloween party shouting trick or treat and opened fire shooting 26 people and killing 8. My Mum knew some of the victims and for years afterwards we were banned from saying "trick or treat" on Halloween.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.