Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Holly and Jessica Chapman going missing, because they were one year older then me.

Baby P - just remember thinking that I would have loved him.

For the London bombings, our principal came running into our classroom and our class/school was evacuated to the local park, where our parents were phoned to come and collect us.

The Indian mother on an escalator who dropped her baby (who died) whilst trying to take a photo.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

This story breaks my heart so much. Lee was only 15 years old when he went missing in 1988, he went out to meet a friend one weekend and disappeared without a trace. His parents still remain hopefully he'll return home one day, his bedroom is still untouched with his homework still laid out on his desk and all of his posters still on the wall :cry: it's so sad. It makes my heart ache because I know I would be the exact same with my daughter's room and belongings. Lee's Dad was a member of the Missing People's Choir that auditioned on Britain's Got Talent a few years ago alongside Claudia Lawrence's Dad

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

This story breaks my heart so much. Lee was only 15 years old when he went missing in 1988, he went out to meet a friend one weekend and disappeared without a trace. His parents still remain hopefully he'll return home one day, his bedroom is still untouched with his homework still laid out on his desk and all of his posters still on the wall :cry: it's so sad. It makes my heart ache because I know I would be the exact same with my daughter's room and belongings. Lee's Dad was a member of the Missing People's Choir that auditioned on Britain's Got Talent a few years ago alongside Claudia Lawrence's Dad
That's really tough, my heart breaks for families who have no answers, the strain must be massive 😢

Reactions: 9
Elaine O’Hara and Graham Dwyer case.

I remember first seeing her missing person case on the journal and genuinely thought it was a suicide as the family had said on social media that she did suffer from mental problems and had been institutionalised for many years of her life.

https://www.thejournal.ie/appeal-issued-for-missing-woman-elaine-ohara-572455-Aug2012/#comments

Then a year later her remains were found in a pond or a Lake in the woods and several weeks later it was turned into a murder investigation.

casefile has a great podcast on it if you would like to listen to it

Or if you’d like to read a brief summary here it is

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I

I remember first seeing her missing person case on the journal and genuinely thought it was a suicide as the family had said on social media that she did suffer from mental problems and had been institutionalised for many years of her life.

https://www.thejournal.ie/appeal-issued-for-missing-woman-elaine-ohara-572455-Aug2012/#comments

Then a year later her remains were found in a pond or a Lake in the woods and several weeks later it was turned into a murder investigation.

I bought the book about it, and it was really shocking

Reactions: 1

Gosh that’s awful. I’m so glad her killer was caught. What an evil man. She must have been terrified....I found this which is their last text message exchanges, poor woman

• Sad
Reactions: 5
Gosh that’s awful. I’m so glad her killer was caught. What an evil man. She must have been terrified....I found this which is their last text message exchanges, poor woman

How they caught him was quite interesting. As he had sent a text about how he had came third place in an airplane race. So they checked dates for airplane races and nothing came up. But someone had the idea about those toy airplane races. And his name came up on the register and that he came third on the exact same day he sent her that text.

He is an evil disgusting man. She was desperate for love and a family of her own and when she mentioned that to him he’d just brush her off saying she’s too fat and ugly for anyone to love her and for her to have a family of her own

• Sad
Reactions: 8
Some that have stuck with me are
* The murders of Lynn and Meghan Russell
This one is back in the news yet again :cry:...
I feel so sorry for the family, the police and the CPS failed the them from the start and continue to fail them :cry:. IIRC, a bloody human fingerprint was also found at the crime scene. It doesn't belong to Michael Stone or any of the Russell family (including the dad), the logical thing to do would be to run the DNA and fingerprint through the various databases the UK has to see if there is a match (with *cough* Levi Bellfield *cough*) but no-one wants to do that!! 🤬.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I saw the documentary on C5 about Elaine O'Hara, it was horrific. That poor woman.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
As so many have said Dunblane will be the most memorable new story in our life time. I remember how quick the government kicked in to action with laws, with a gun amnesty and every schools security being hiked up instantly. I read Piers Morgans memoirs years ago when he was still editing tabloids and he said it was the hardest story he'd ever had to cover (I know he's a dick but that's still a really good book if you're interested in news stories)

Poor Holly and Jessica, I remember following the story all week and then I was at V festival when they found them and they actually announced it as breaking news on the big screens. Its one of few tragic stories where not many details are know, is this because Huntley kept quiet or because the family didn't want the media giving out that information? I accidently read the specifics of what happened to Jamie Bulger once and I think its the one thing in life I wish I'd never read and instantly felt sick to my stomach.

The Anders Breivik Norway attack still shocks me when I think about it. I remember a tabloid printed a double page spread aerial view of the island with all the dead bodies scattered over it. That's an image that I don't think will ever leave me.

The Josef Fritzle story fascinated me for a long time.

Reactions: 10
So many , Lockerbie, IRA Bombs .

I always think about Lyn and Meghan Russell & Rachel Nickell.. walking through a park in the daytime. That changed things massively for me .

I feel like crying reading this, I could only manage parts of it. Why was she in a hospital, did she have mental health problems?

I feel like crying reading this, I could only manage parts of it. Why was she in a hospital, did she have mental health problems?
Yes she’d had mental health problems since she was a teenager and her friend died. Then her mum died when she was only 26. So sad

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Do you know what it was called, it was such a shocking case. I read the book about it. He was an artitect (sp) and his wife too. They appeared such a normal family. Poor lady.

I've just seen on the news about a 9yr old who was hit by lightning this evening whilst playing football. Its just so so awful and really feel for his poor family. The chances of it happening. I have a 9yr old myself and its really affected me 😞

• Sad
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.