Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There is, it was setup by her parents and is called The Moira Fund. They do amazing work.

There’s a BBC documentary called “The Dark Shadow of Murder”. It profiles Moira’s mum Bea reading her diary entries from when Moira was murdered and covers their charity work.

It’s devastating and I cried pretty much the whole way through, but it’s ultimately uplifting when you think of the positives that can come after such tragedy.
Thanks for passing on the info. Will keep an eye out for that documentary.

Grenfell
I still remember waking up to the news and hearing about the horror of people who got out in time. Then the social class injustices with the entire event too
I think a lot of it is associated with that couple that set fire to their house which I think killed all their children, the news stories happened when I was younger and I remember it gave me a bad nightmare that night, plus I lived in the flat then. But also just feels very very different.

Also the migrants in the truck in Kent. Not long ago during the trials a lot of new facts came out surrounding it and I honestly cried while reading through it all, just a horrible situation

• Sad
Reactions: 17
Regarding Mick Philpot, I'm surprised the JK show wasn't taken off air following that incident.

Reactions: 6
The murder of Sophie Hook really stayed with me, snatched from a relatives garden while camping by some local weirdo who was known to be dangerous then found on a beach.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I seem to remember a case in the late 90s near where I grew up, when a little girl strangled herself to death with a net curtain chord.

It's been mentioned a few times but Dunblane is another one. It's the earliest event on the news I can remember. I was the same age as the children at the time. I remember my mum crying when they showed all the kids photos on TV.

Reactions: 3
There is a programme on ITV on Thursday where Lorraine Kelly goes to Dunblane. Seeing that school photograph of those wee innocent faces still makes me cry 😥

The murder of Sophie Hook really stayed with me, snatched from a relatives garden while camping by some local weirdo who was known to be dangerous then found on a beach.
Omg just read that case....that poor little girl 😭

Last edited:
  • Sad
I just mentioned this on another thread but it definitely belongs here.

The 2008 murder of Moira Jones in Glasgow. This happened when I lived 4 or so streets away and it was terrifying seeing the incident command vehicle snd police presence.

Poor woman was feet away from her front door, overpowered and walked into Queens Park. There was she was raped, beaten and strangled and a park ranger found her early next morning. The horrible thing is people who were walking their dogs snd in their flats that overlooked the park testified they heard short but terrified screams. Couldn’t be sure if it was real or whatnot but sadly it’s thought to have been Moira. The piece of tit scum who did this fled back to Slovakia and they had to work to get him back to Scotland. Animal. 😡. I always felt for Moira’s family and her long term partner - she had a bicker with him that night and went back to her own flat, then she was attacked. Sadly, I do believe if it was not her, this animal would have killed some other unfortunate woman to cross his path.
I’m from the south side of Glasgow and can’t walk through Queens Park without thinking about Moira. Horrific crime, and to think it happened on her own doorstep.

• Sad
How awful, you would think your children would be safe in your own garden 😢

Grenfell
I still remember waking up to the news and hearing about the horror of people who got out in time. Then the social class injustices with the entire event too
I think a lot of it is associated with that couple that set fire to their house which I think killed all their children, the news stories happened when I was younger and I remember it gave me a bad nightmare that night, plus I lived in the flat then. But also just feels very very different.

Also the migrants in the truck in Kent. Not long ago during the trials a lot of new facts came out surrounding it and I honestly cried while reading through it all, just a horrible situation
I remember seeing a video shared on social media in the hours after the fire, from two women who lived on a higher floor. From what I remember they were undecided about whether to try and escape or not. You couldn't see the women but they were stood by their front door and you could see the smoke wisping under the door as well as hearing the concern in their voices. I've got a horrible feeling that they didn't make it out sadly.

• Sad
I remember this and we were in Wales on holiday at the time. Although we were staying about half an hour away from Llandudno where she was taken. I remember asking my mum to go to the park literally a stones throw away on the same campsite, you could see our tent from the swings and my mum wouldn’t let us. That poor little girl 😢

I remember seeing a video shared on social media in the hours after the fire, from two women who lived on a higher floor. From what I remember they were undecided about whether to try and escape or not. You couldn't see the women but they were stood by their front door and you could see the smoke wisping under the door as well as hearing the concern in their voices. I've got a horrible feeling that they didn't make it out sadly.
Absolutely shocking. I remember going home from my boyfriends house on the train, and just seeing the smoke from far away. It wasn't until I got home and saw the news. I cried for those poor people.

Today’s news about Sarah Everard will stick with me 😢
A few years younger than me, walking home from a friends and taken and most likely murdered....and a member of the MET arrested. Just shocking and so very sad.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I hadn’t heard about this, poor girl. What he did to her was horrific. She must have been terrified

• Sad
Reactions: 1
The death of Diana, Milly Dowler, Dunblane, 9/11...there are just so many 😭.

The one that been on my mind for the last few years is the murders of Lin and Megan Russell and the attempted murder of Josie Russell. I've watched all of the interviews and documentaries and even have the book that Josie's father wrote about her recovery. The attack was just so heartbreaking and I've noticed that Michael Stone and Levi Belfield keep bringing this case back in the media every year or so!

It does make me wonder which one actually did it. Josie's dad, Shaun, said after Stone was convicted the first time that if he was on the jury he wouldn't have convicted Stone. Josie however has said (in a documentary I watched) that she believes it was Michael Stone. I wonder if she genuinely believes this or if it is just a coping mechanism for her? 😢.

Sarah Payne
I was about 8 at the time and my granny had dementia ,I always remember she had a little cut out from the newspaper with Sarah’s picture on and I remember not being able to grasp at that age why she would have a picture of a stranger .She was heartbroken for this poor girl and her family .I remember asking what happened to her Obv she didn’t tell me the full story but just that she had been killed.
jessica and holly
I was on holiday in France and I can remember my dad would buy a British paper every morning and I think near the start of the holiday it was reported they were missing and sadly by the end we knew the sad truth about what had happened .That photo of them in their football shirts will always stick with me .Poor little souls.I was only maybe a year older than them at the time

Reactions: 7
The live-streamed shooting in the Christchurch mosques. It’s a few days away from the 2 year anniversary of the event. They couldn’t do a remembrance service last year due to covid so I hope they can have one this year. Still makes me feel sick now 😢😢😢

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Gable tostee- Australian head that met a nz girl on tinder while she was on holiday in surfers paradise, she ended up back at his place and ended up suspiciously falling 14 floors off his balcony.... prior to that they were drinking heavily and had a fight and the head thought to record the fight on his iPhone (audio) you can literally hear the poor girl falling to her death... chilling... if you google him the story will come up... excellent podcast episode on redhanded on this..

• Wow
Reactions: 8
I always wondered if any of the Grenfell residents had any suspicion of a fire as it broke out but dismissed it . Like could they smell burning but think it was outside/ someone burning food ?

Did any alarms go off? The first thought when an alarm goes off , is that it is a nuisance, not that anything is wrong .

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.