Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think in the James Bulger case, they were skipping school. I might be wrong. But in any case, they should BOTH still be locked up for that specific crime. What bothered me is that I am only a couple of years younger than those evil boys. They both received new lives, new names etc. What if you found out your other half was one of those boys? How can you trust a system that allows that? They may have been 10 but one of them is back in prison for child sex offences. Neither of them should have ever left prison. I think James’ mum should be at least given that. She has campaigned for years for justice for James, what a strong woman she is.
There was a case a few years ago where a man was wrongly accused of being Jamie Bulger's killer with a new identity, it was in the papers .
Also , I live up north at there was a rumour that one of the killers had moved to one of the villages nearby ( people who move their from elsewhere in the country are often suspected of being on witness protection/ having to have a new identity) .

Reactions: 1
James Bulger, truly horrific. And the Dunblane massacre, all those poor babies 😞. How terrified they must have been. Since I’ve been a parent I seem to find these things even more disturbing.

Reactions: 3
This is such a sad thread. Most of these were such horrific deaths, disappearances, murders. Makes me think of how unbearably hard life must be for the family members who were left behind grieving 😢

Reactions: 17
This is such a sad thread. Most of these were such horrific deaths, disappearances, murders. Makes me think of how unbearably hard life must be for the family members who were left behind grieving 😢
It is sad.
However the empathy shown is inspiring, it shows there is more good people than bad.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Damilola Taylor. The cctv images of him skipping by Peckham library, just before he died, showed a lad with so much joyfulness and possibility, it really resonated with me as you see so many kids behave in the same way.

Shannon Matthews. I remember feeling cross at the time that the media wasn’t giving as much focus and support to her as they did to Madeleine McCann

Reactions: 15
Ian Watkins from Lostprophets, absolutely horrifying. I can’t believe women willingly offered their children to this monster. 😢
Oh my gosh SAME. I was a massive lostprophets fan when I was younger, saw them a few times and used to see Ian around my local town. I was actually in hospital the day after having my first child and my mum came in and said "guess who's been arrested" and I was GOBSMACKED! He got sentenced to 36 years on my sons first birthday too.

Reactions: 6
Being from Liverpool, James Bulger has always stuck with me.

I remember when I was growing up the story about Holly & Jessica (Ian Huntley). I was the same age as them when they went missing.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Grace Millane’s murder in New Zealand. Just knew from the moment it was reported that she was missing that it wouldn’t end well 😢 She had her whole life in front of her and she had only recently embarked on the trip of a lifetime.

Her Dad has recently passed away, heartbreaking. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/murdered-backpacker-grace-millanes-heartbroken-23034649
Oh god that’s really shocked me this morning. That poor family, that’s a lot for one family in a short space of time. I hope Grace and her dad are together now and that her family have some comfort from that thought. So so sad 😔

• Sad
Leah Betts. The photo of her in the coma. It influenced how I was around drugs and there was no better “just say no” campaign for me. I just automatically thought I’d take an ecstasy and end up like her. To this day, I’ve never ever touched it. All my friends did. It certainly shaped my attitude to it. I felt very confident to refuse, without hesitation.

Must have been so very painful for her parents to have shared that photo? But it certainly stopped me from experimenting with it.
Same here

The most recent cases that have really stuck with me are the suicide of Mya-Lecia and the sudden death of Archie. My kids watch their shows alot especially as cbbc repeat them often. So young and talented with their lives ahead of them. Tragic 😢

Past ones are
9/11 we were on honeymoon and didn’t realise it was a terror attack as in those days we didn’t have mobiles and just had a small tv in the games room on the island.
James Bulger
Diana’s death -it felt surreal as i had just started a job at Harrods
Holly and Jessica
Dunblane
Madeline mccann

many more

Reactions: 1
For me it was what happened in the former Yugoslavia and the Rwandan genocide. The idea of the planning behind it all, the stunning cruelty and evil, and of the people who lived next door coming to rape and murder their neighbours has never stopped haunting me.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
James Bulger, the Colombine killers, 9/11, the Manchester attack. There was a whole load of terror attacks in 2016 and I used to sit a d watch the news all day finding out what happened.

Reactions: 4
Whilst not in my lifetime The Holocaust of WW2 haunts me. I’ve visited Auschwitz and and I’m still haunted by the atmosphere and horror, it stays with you. The sheer scale and reasoning behind what happened is beyond anything I can ever imagine and to think that similar acts are being carried out now shows that we’ve not learnt as a cilvilised society. There’s a generation being raised where many don’t even know what happened and something as significant as this must never be forgotten. Those innocent Men, Women and Children are still important.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
A few years ago a boy was chasing Pokemon at Aberdeen beach and got into difficulty. His mum tried to save him and sadly they both drowned. A son/brother was also there and saw it happen 😔.

Other ones for me are Lockerbie (I was 8-ish but I remember the news flash coming on), 9/11 and Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman ❤

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.