Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So many I remember from different states of my life, poor Jamie Bulger stuck with me and Dunblane as I was in primary school at the time. Princess Diana, the Omagh bomb, 9/11 and very recently Noah Donohoe. 14 years old, left his home in Belfast on his bike, was seen on CCTV cycling naked and after one of the biggest missing person searches in NI history his naked body was found in a storm drain. The police say no foul play but none of it adds up.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
So many I remember from different states of my life, poor Jamie Bulger stuck with me and Dunblane as I was in primary school at the time. Princess Diana, the Omagh bomb, 9/11 and very recently Noah Donohoe. 14 years old, left his home in Belfast on his bike, was seen on CCTV cycling naked and after one of the biggest missing person searches in NI history his naked body was found in a storm drain. The police say no foul play but none of it adds up.
That reminds me of another recent one of that teenage boy in Ireland who got caught up in gangster crime and ends up being decapitated. Think it was this year. Awful awful awful.

Reactions: 6
That reminds me of another recent one of that teenage boy in Ireland who got caught up in gangster crime and ends up being decapitated. Think it was this year. Awful awful awful.
Yes that was absolutely horrendous, he obviously wasn't an angel but he was only a kid and he certainly didn't deserve to die like that 😢

Reactions: 2
Yes that was absolutely horrendous, he obviously wasn't an angel but he was only a kid and he certainly didn't deserve to die like that 😢
That’s horrific. I have never heard of this one, could you link it possibly?

I teach in a very poverty stricken area. I can just imagine so many of the boys I teach falling into that sort of situation. They have no idea about real consequences and all think they are a lot tougher than they are. I fear for a lot of them.

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman, I think due to a combination of me being roughly the same age as them and the fact I was also at an age to properly understand those kind of news stories.

I obviously remember Diana, 9/11 etc but the significance of them did go over my head slightly, simply due to my age, however the Soham murders really stayed with me and I watched hours of news reports/documentaries about it at the time of it all unfolding.

I can’t remember how old I was. But I was a child and was just playing a news reporter game and I spoke about Sarah Payne. My mom was a bit shocked to be fair and tried to direct me onto something else. But because it was all around me on the news it seemed a norm thing to talk about . Obviously I was too young to understand what had happened.
God bless the little angel ❤

• Heart
Oh gosh too many.

Sarah Payne, Holly and Jessica, Milly Dowler. Josie Russell and her family. Madeline Macann.

Dunblane sticks with me, I know someone who was there at the time, but in a different classroom.

Lockerbie, I still hate hearing planes over the house late at night.

9/11, Diana.

And finally one too close to home. Derrick Bird, the taxi driver who drove through West Cumbria shooting random people at point blank range. So tragic. I still remember calling my mum and asking if she'd walked the dog and if not to stay in the house.
I remember all of those as well

my son was at the south lakes animal park the day of the shooting and I can still remember the fear after hearing reports bird was travelling that way, the whole thing was hard especially coming after the bus crash (which my son and I heard happening)

I find the picture of the cockpit from Lockerbie very poignant as well as seeing the upturned hull of the herald of free enterprise

Ian Watkins from Lostprophets, absolutely horrifying. I can’t believe women willingly offered their children to this monster. 😢

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 25
I remember all of those as well

my son was at the south lakes animal park the day of the shooting and I can still remember the fear after hearing reports bird was travelling that way, the whole thing was hard especially coming after the bus crash (which my son and I heard happening)

I find the picture of the cockpit from Lockerbie very poignant as well as seeing the upturned hull of the herald of free enterprise
Oh the bus crash was awful. The car driver was the parent of a ex-teacher of mine. I spoke to him about it years later. The boy who died lived near me as well. 😢

An irish woman named Sherry Campbell choked on a piece of meat and died late at night after her parents went to bed, she was only 29 and an only child, her poor parents found her in the kitchen in the early hours of the morning. I remember stumbling across this story a few years ago and always remembering it because I have a fear of choking.

I'm quite a fast eater and sometimes would have very small choking incidents until one time I was home alone eating something and then it getting stuck; I remember dashing round frantically and running into the backyard to get my neighbours help feeling I was going to pass out at any moment when I managed to hock the piece of food up. From then on I've always been careful to chew my food and not to take massive bites.

You hardly hear people dying this way but it's coming across stories like this make you reevaluate even something as small as how you chew and eat your food.
She worked with my sister.

I teach in a very poverty stricken area. I can just imagine so many of the boys I teach falling into that sort of situation. They have no idea about real consequences and all think they are a lot tougher than they are. I fear for a lot of them.
A very real fear I'm sure 😢 there's a film called Michael Inside, it's all about a young guy in Dublin falling into a life of crime and how his life unravels as a consequence. I watched it on Netflix, not sure if it's still on there but it's fantastic. Might be worth approaching your school and seeing if they'll let the kids watch it?

Hillsborough. I think I was about 10, my parents used to get the Daily Mirror and there was some really graphic photos of people crushed against the railings, I’m presuming they didn’t survive, I can still sort of picture their faces. It’s always made me a bit wary of crowds at gigs etc.

Also Jamie Bulger, I read a lot about the case and just found it so chilling what they did.
I lived in Merseyside at the time and was about 10 too. I can remember those pictures so clearly. Awful.

This year I read about the Station nightclub fire in the US back in 2003 - I highly recommend people do NOT go and watch the video of it (a journalist was doing a report on nightclub safety so it's all on camera). A similar thing except lots of patrons stuck in a doorway about to die. Couldn't shake the images for ages.

The Australian theme park tragedy where a raft flipped up and threw people underwater really stuck with me for a long time too. That was maybe two years ago?

Reactions: 1
The footage of the station nightclub fire is the stuff of nightmares. It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen on the internet and I’m pretty unshakable like that. The bleeping fire exits were chained shut!

On the subject of Hillsborough, I personally know a couple people who were there. It’s one of the many reasons I won’t click on Sun links on here.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
Leah Betts. The photo of her in the coma. It influenced how I was around drugs and there was no better “just say no” campaign for me. I just automatically thought I’d take an ecstasy and end up like her. To this day, I’ve never ever touched it. All my friends did. It certainly shaped my attitude to it. I felt very confident to refuse, without hesitation.

Must have been so very painful for her parents to have shared that photo? But it certainly stopped me from experimenting with it.
I was the same age as Leah Betts and she’s the reason I’ve never touched drugs.

I lived in Merseyside at the time and was about 10 too. I can remember those pictures so clearly. Awful.

This year I read about the Station nightclub fire in the US back in 2003 - I highly recommend people do NOT go and watch the video of it (a journalist was doing a report on nightclub safety so it's all on camera). A similar thing except lots of patrons stuck in a doorway about to die. Couldn't shake the images for ages.

The Australian theme park tragedy where a raft flipped up and threw people underwater really stuck with me for a long time too. That was maybe two years ago?
I was shown this video (the fire one) on an induction course at work. It was a general induction and it was not relevant to the job I was doing. I complained afterwards. I couldn’t get it out of my head.

• Sad
They often show the Bradford City Stadium fire at these training courses as well. That’s almost as bad. Also had locked fire exits I believe.

• Sad
The footage of the station nightclub fire is the stuff of nightmares. It’s one of the worst things I’ve ever seen on the internet and I’m pretty unshakable like that. The bleeping fire exits were chained shut!

On the subject of Hillsborough, I personally know a couple people who were there. It’s one of the many reasons I won’t click on Sun links on here.
I watched Station fire footage a few months ago (out of curiosity). It was really sad seeing the people enjoying themselves just before the fire started.
I also think one of the security guards refused to let people leave out of the stage door exit (?), so that probably caused more deaths.

• Sad
We covered Hamza Khan in a training course at work and I cried.

The little girl who was murdered by her dad after he’d always been cruel and violent towards her. He pretended a book case had fallen on her. There were videos of him raging and swearing at someone and she’s just stood there expressionless. Poor wee soul 😞

Rikki Neave is the one that sticks with me the most. Alone all night age 6?! Out on the street alone at midnight? His mother might not have murdered him herself but her downright neglect meant he got murdered.

Obviously James Bulger too. Now I have kids of my own, I wonder how these kids are allowed out so young on their own? Age 10 is young to be in a shopping centre unsupervised, isn’t it?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.