Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
9/11
7/7
Holly and Jessica
Grenfell towers
Manchester Arena
That Malaysian plane back in 2014

Reactions: 4
The Air France Concorde crashing in Paris in 2000. It was the middle of the school holidays and I remember it being the first rolling news story I ever followed.

The abduction / murder of Sarah Payne left me terrified of walking to and from friends houses alone; a fear that persisted until I was 14/15.

I was in Greece when the Helios Airlines plane crashed into a mountain. It was the days before smart phones so my parents and I had no idea what had happened; we were having lunch at a restaurant and the TV just kept showing footage of wreckage strewn across a mountain. I remember my mum being really shaken because we’d originally booked to fly with Helios that summer.

Reactions: 2
Maddie mccann, she was the same age as my daughter when she was taken and we had a holiday booked the same year. We had two rooms booked, but I was so anxious I kept her in bed with me and my husband. Photographers on the resort kept wanting photos of her for us to buy, but I was convinced it was to sell her!! They kept referring to her blonde hair and blue eyes all the time. The waiters and bar men kept giving her attention and I just couldnt relax the whole time. Im gutted she has never been found and just replay in my head how scared she would have been.
my daughters the same age as her too. we went away about 4 weeks after she disappeared..it definitely made me more cautious and we always made sure someone was by her side. she looked the same as Madeleine..blond bob blue eyes.
we did actually get a lot of stares and interest when out one day..Me and my husband are both dark haired and eyed so she did look quite different to us..she also was going through a wearing sunglasses phase. my Mum was with us and noticed and said take those glasses off of her people are looking because they are keeping a look out for Madeleine and they think your hiding her eyes !

I can never forget the case of Daniel Pelka who was 6 and in the months leading up to his death he was severely beaten and starved by his mum and stepdad. He was so hungry he was caught stealing food from bins at school and apparently looked like a concentration camp victim, but nothing was done. Broke the heart reading about the case and I still get upset thinking about it now 😓
This really affected me too..he was a beautiful little boy. I found it more heartbreaking that he was in reception at the time same as my youngest. the school said they knew nothing about him or his family life when my daughter has spent much of the year doing work about their home, pets family etc. He was eating out of the bins and pinching other childrens food and getting thin..how did this not ring alarm bells with his teachers x

the M5 crash caused by smoke from firework display at a rugby club by side of the motorway mixing with fog. its always stuck in my mind as we drive past it often on way to my Dads. There was an initial crash, then people just plowed into this. A lot of the cars caught fire and some people burnt to death in their cars ..there was some awful footage of drivers from the other side desperately trying to open doors of the crashed cars to get people out.

9/11 - it was just unbelievable watching it unfold. it will always be in my memory ..where i was who i was with. It was also quite hard for me as my bridesmaid was on a business trip to NY at the time and mobile service overseas wasnt great at the time so we didnt know if she was safe or not. thankfully she was and manged to email letting people know she was ok.

Disappearance of Madeleine McCann

Hillsborough...I can still see the images of those poor people trapped squashed up against the fencing. The pictures of the two sisters faces that died are the ones that i remeber the most - probably as one was the same age as me.

Dunblane

7/7 bombings

Mikeeal Kular ..Poor little boy who was beaten by his mum and left to die in Scotland. she then put him in a suitcase and dumped his body near her sisters house. it was in new again recently as she is up for release/ parole. he was also a beautiful boy like Daniel and was treated harshly compared to his siblings

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Mikeeal Kular ..Poor little boy who was beaten by his mum and left to die in Scotland. she then put him in a suitcase and dumped his body near her sisters house. it was in new again recently as she is up for release/ parole. he was also a beautiful boy like Daniel and was treated harshly compared to his siblings
His mother was released in May. She tried to get her identity changed as she claimed she was getting grief and abuse but she couldn’t provide any evidence so it was flung out.

• Angry
Reactions: 5
His mother was released in May. She tried to get her identity changed as she claimed she was getting grief and abuse but she couldn’t provide any evidence so it was flung out.
Not defending the abuse or grief but its difficult to have sympathy for her.

Reactions: 6
Not defending the abuse or grief but its difficult to have sympathy for her.
I agree.

I was at work and a parent came in saying there was a wee one missing nearby. The police helicopter kept going over. Our wee ones were so excited by the helicopter. I just felt overwhelming sadness. Then when I heard they had found a body, my heart just sank for him.

• Sad
The tsunami in 2004 in South East Asia. I still remember seeing a picture in one of the newspapers of the wave itself and people running from the beach. Haunting. I can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been 😥I also can’t believe how long it’s been since it happened.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
The tsunami in 2004 in South East Asia. I still remember seeing a picture in one of the newspapers of the wave itself and people running from the beach. Haunting. I can’t imagine how terrifying it must have been 😥I also can’t believe how long it’s been since it happened.
My son studied that during home school and its actually unbelievable how many people were killed, nearly 230,000 people 😢 its impossible to comprehend!

• Sad
Reactions: 7
The tsunami 2004. The sheer totality of it. I have spoken to people who experienced it in Kenya And Sri Lanka. Absolutely terrifying.

Kings Cross fire. I used that route regularly at the time. The “it could have been me“ moment.

Ben Needham going missing in Greece. The family were distraught. I hope his family get some closure. Their pursuit of finding the truth is admirable, and I hope they do. They have always been so dignified.

The tsunami 2004. The sheer totality of it. I have spoken to people who experienced it in Kenya And Sri Lanka. Absolutely terrifying.

Kings Cross fire. I used that route regularly at the time. The “it could have been me“ moment.

Ben Needham going missing in Greece. The family were distraught. I hope his family get some closure. Their pursuit of finding the truth is admirable, and I hope they do. They have always been so dignified.
Yes, Ben Needham has been particularly sad because that family never had the same coverage in the press or British police involvement as the McCanns had and continue to have. Double standards - both innocent kids.

Reactions: 8
The Port Arthur massacre
Daniel Morecomb abduction & murder
William Tyrell abduction & probable murder

Tia-Leigh Palmer murder by her hole foster father

Reactions: 1
Bit random but when I was pregnant 3 years ago I read a news story about a whale who's baby had died and it carried it for miles distraught. I cried for hours

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
The passenger ferry Estona killed 852 when it sank in 1994. I’ve not been on a ferry since and have a huge fear of them.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
In the last few years I think, there was a woman staying alone in a holiday home. She woke up in the middle of the night to go to the loo, then for reasons unknown, maybe it was dark and she was a bit disorientated, instead of going back to bed she ended up in some sort of airing/storage cupboard and got locked inside it, the door handle broke off. There was evidence of her clawing at the wall to try and get out, I think they found her a week after. Horrific

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
Dale Creagan. He phoned the police to report a crime, except there was no crime. He killed the 2 police officers, Nicola Hughes and Fiona Bone. L

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 8
All the well known ones, 9/11, London bombings, James Bulger..

Another one that sticks in my head is from about 20ish years ago when a nanny shook a child to death - I was young at the time and all I remember is the nanny was shown in court recreating the movement she did when she held the child, I believe her first name was Grace but I could be wrong and she received 15 years in jail. I’ve tried googling to follow up but can’t find anything.
Louse Woodwood

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.