Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also remember Dunblane too. I remember my mum watching it in tears and the children dying being the same age as my sister. ☹💔
I was really young when this happened(I was only 8 years old) But i remember a picture here in the newspaper in the Netherlands that said who died. And that really impressed me.

Reactions: 2
I’m can’t remember if it was mentioned already but the Irish girl who was murdered horrifically in Glasgow a few years ago, Karen Buckley. Just on a night out and completely random 😔 I was about the same age at the time and it really resonated with me and my friends. Her fathers statement was heartbreaking. It’s amazing how certain stories stay with you x

• Sad
Reactions: 15
9/11. My husband and I had just flown to the US for the holiday of a lifetime.
We woke up in our hotel, and put on the news. First thing we heard was that all flights to and from the US are cancelled. Scary.
We found an Internet cafe and contacted work and friends and said we were ok.
We had been due to be in New York that weekend, but I had changed our flights last minute.
Otherwise we would have been flying out of New York that morning.
I hadn't told our friends and family, they all thought we were on one of those flights.
I just recall my BIL crying down the phone, thinking we were dead....

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
9/11. My husband and I had just flown to the US for the holiday of a lifetime.
We woke up in our hotel, and put on the news. First thing we heard was that all flights to and from the US are cancelled. Scary.
We found an Internet cafe and contacted work and friends and said we were ok.
We had been due to be in New York that weekend, but I had changed our flights last minute.
Otherwise we would have been flying out of New York that morning.
I hadn't told our friends and family, they all thought we were on one of those flights.
I just recall my BIL crying down the phone, thinking we were dead....
9/11 was terrifying. My uncle lives in Queens and was working in a bar near the towers and when it happened my mam was trying to get him to answer the phone to see if he was alright and what was going on and when he answered he said there was bodies just dropping like balloons. He wasn’t the better for it for months and had a problem with drink because of it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
The murder of Milly Dowler. She was 3 years older then me. I remember her story being on the news when she first went missing. I also read her sister's book and cried though out.

• Sad
Reactions: 10
His name was Alan Kurdi and it had such an impact on me I became a volunteer travelling to Europe multiple times with aid for refugees and sending aid over the last 6 years, sadly the situation is no better and many people perish between Turkey and Greece. 😢

Shamefully I cannot recall his name, but I find the image of the young Syrian boy who washed up on the beach just harrowing. The whole story is of course, but the picture really makes it hit home

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
A mother passed away in her flat, I think from maybe an asthma attack, leaving her non-verbal 4 year old alone by himself. His nursery came round to check on them a couple of times but as there was no response, they assumed they'd gone away and it wasn't taken any further. They were both found a few weeks later and the little boy had died in his mum's arms. Honestly one of the saddest things I've ever read and its stuck with me for years.
It was an epileptic seizure. I have epilepsy and that’s always stuck with me. The fear of having a fatal seizure and my kids being left.

Beyond that…

the only ones I can remember where I was when I heard were
John smith’s death
Diana’s death
9/11
7/7

of those not mentioned

the death of Sally Ann bowman has always stayed with me - they tried to pin it on her poor boyfriend initially

tracie AndrewS and the fake road rage
Stephen Cameron and the genuine road rage
Richey Edwards disappearance
The ira Manchester bombings - I was a similar age to tim party and I often think what he’d be doing

Oh and Beverley allot.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Definitely the planes flown into the twin towers. I was working as a stockbroker on the south coast and a friend called and said put your tv on. Well, I called the other two peeps down and we watched with horror. Strangely enough, we actually had several clients who couldn't believe that the global markets had closed because they wanted to 'short' airlines, etc. It was horrifying. I watched that 'Falling Man' documentary several times and it never fails to upset me. I could remember a year or so b4 the atrocity actually leaning against the glass in the Windows of the World bar sipping a Sea Breeze. Terrible. RIP

Also:
Diana was due to go on holiday the following day.
IRA bombings in the early 80's being constantly moved from the front of offices to the back in case some suspicious device exploded or evacuated from tube stations.
Grenfell Towers... horrifying too.

• Heart
Ah yes actually I remember where I was when I heard about grenfell - I was on holiday and up feeding in the early hours and started seeing it on Twitter

was just readingup on the Stephen Cameron case. All these years later his fiancée is still in witness protection.

Ah yes actually I remember where I was when I heard about grenfell - I was on holiday and up feeding in the early hours and started seeing it on Twitter

was just readingup on the Stephen Cameron case. All these years later his fiancée is still in witness protection.
I remember i was at school when the towers were hit. I. Walked into my house and my mum who had a day off was sitting looking at what i thought was a channel five afternoon movie. I actually said as i saw the plane crash into the tower. " Isnt that a bit far fetched":oops: she like no its actually happening.

I watched grenfell unfold during the early hours om the bbc news. Harrowing too.

Reactions: 5
It was an epileptic seizure. I have epilepsy and that’s always stuck with me. The fear of having a fatal seizure and my kids being left.

Beyond that…

the only ones I can remember where I was when I heard were
John smith’s death
Diana’s death
9/11
7/7

of those not mentioned

the death of Sally Ann bowman has always stayed with me - they tried to pin it on her poor boyfriend initially

tracie AndrewS and the fake road rage
Stephen Cameron and the genuine road rage
Richey Edwards disappearance
The ira Manchester bombings - I was a similar age to tim party and I often think what he’d be doing

Oh and Beverley allot.
I trained at the hospital Beverly Allitt trained and worked at, and went to school with several of her victims. It’s been 30 years and it’s still a prevalent part of the hospital.

Also 9/11, we were due to fly to Florida on the 14th and it was cancelled. I came home from school and my Mum had the TV on, and we watched it together. It was horrific.

Reactions: 3
I trained at the hospital Beverly Allitt trained and worked at, and went to school with several of her victims. It’s been 30 years and it’s still a prevalent part of the hospital.

Also 9/11, we were due to fly to Florida on the 14th and it was cancelled. I came home from school and my Mum had the TV on, and we watched it together. It was horrific.
Were her victims not babies 😕

Channel hopping and just started watching a programme about her on sky crime.

Reactions: 1
In 1992 an El Al jet crashed into a block of flats in the Netherlands, many sadly died , it was horrific

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.