Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So true ...

I was having coffee with a good friend at a park a few years back and there was a lovely friendly old gentleman talking to the kids; he picked her daughter up and popped her onto his knee which sent my friend sprinting over there to read him the riot act. He could have been just a lovely old man, but he also could've been sinister - times have changed and that sort of thing just isn't okay anymore (with strangers' kids anyway).
Even as a woman i do think twice about touching or talking to a strangers child. In my three previous cases with very young kids it has been:

One : a child less then three had walked further then his mother. She was calling him, but he wasnā€™t listening. I took hold of his sleeve and made him walk backwards to his mother. She thanked me.

Two: I stopped a young child from leaving from my local park entrance when i noticed him. His grandfather came along after. He could have run into the road if i had let him leave.

Three: I saw a two year crying on his own in the shopping center. I looked around but there was no one around him. I picked him up whilst he was still crying and took him to a counter. They called security and someone came to collect him. I just remembered James Bulger.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I agree, its the same with honesty, the vast majority of people are honest but people always say how lucky someone is if they get a mobile phone back. Working on the railways I'd say 90% of high value items get returned. You would not believe the stuff in railway lost property because people assume it's been nicked when it's actually been handed in
Agreed. On our local Facebook group there are often ā€œIā€™ve lost somethingā€ posts and most of the time someone found it and posts a reply.

I recently found Ā£5 on the floor. I looked all around to see who might have dropped it but there was no one. I could have left it, but I picked it up and gave it to charity as I felt guilty at the thought of spending someone elseā€™s money! šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 5
Agreed. On our local Facebook group there are often ā€œIā€™ve lost somethingā€ posts and most of the time someone found it and posts a reply.

I recently found Ā£5 on the floor. I looked all around to see who might have dropped it but there was no one. I could have left it, but I picked it up and gave it to charity as I felt guilty at the thought of spending someone elseā€™s money! šŸ˜‚
So it's two quid for the charity and three quid for the MDs holiday fund.

• Sad
Reactions: 1
So it's two quid for the charity and three quid for the MDs holiday fund.
Ā£2? You jest. I remember it used to be Ā£1 but those days of such generosity have I fear long gone ;)

I fondly remember How the Red Cross Raised Half a Billion Dollars for Haiti and Built Six Homes.

• Wow
Iā€™ve recently retired from a management job in a charity where I was constantly surprised by the inability of apparently well-educated staffers under 30 to instigate or hold a polite conversation with older donors or corporate supporters. Many admitted to being ā€˜frightenedā€™ of face to face contact, so I think the social media argument is a valid one. It was possible to train them up, but what a joy when I found someone whoā€™d been well brought-up and could talk to people.
I digress. To keep my mind sharp (Iā€™m only 56!) and get me some social interaction, Iā€™m working minimum wage in a local coffee shop a couple of days a week. I greet customers with a cheery ā€˜good morningā€™, maybe a comment about the weather, remember their preferences, say thanks and goodbye. My staff leader (a young woman) took me aside to say there was no need to ā€˜be so cheerfulā€™, as customers would expect all the staff to behave similarly. Errrrr. Anyway. I find if youā€™re polite and cheerful, people old and young and old, are polite back. Older people can be very lonely, and you lose social skills when you live inside your own head. Yo might be the only person they speak to all day, so cut them a bit of slack, maybe.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 24

Usually on these type of Facebook pages , when someone says they've found something of value and handed it in all the replies are people saying well done for handing it in . I think people are surprised when people are honest.

People always seem to be losing things. Usually there is some sob story, especially with phones involving photos . Nobody seems to back them up

Reactions: 1
Usually on these type of Facebook pages , when someone says they've found something of value and handed it in all the replies are people saying well done for handing it in . I think people are surprised when people are honest.

People always seem to be losing things. Usually there is some sob story, especially with phones involving photos . Nobody seems to back them up
I see those posts on local Facebook pages and people replying with 'you have restored my faith in humanity' and so on.

But I think about their replies - 'well wouldn't you try to get lost property back to its rightful owner šŸ¤” I know I would, and I think most people would.'

Reactions: 8
I see those posts on local Facebook pages and people replying with 'you have restored my faith in humanity' and so on.

But I think about their replies - 'well wouldn't you try to get lost property back to its rightful owner šŸ¤” I know I would, and I think most people would.'
I used to find stuff in the London underground,car/house keys, a phone,spectacles and I handed them all in

Reactions: 2
I'll let you into a secret pleasure of mine, it's extremely childish, but it amuses me.

When I see a picker doing their job, I occasionally take pleasure in adding an extra item or two to the cart/trolley.

Do you pickers double check the list at checkout.
Wow, what a scummy thing to do.

I did supermarket delivery picking for a while, every so often the crates are randomly selected by the system for manager audit, not just of the individual pickers, but also of the drivers to make sure they're not sneaking extra stuff out of the store in customer crates. Sometimes a picker or driver that's already got a strike against them from a previous mistake might be getting every crate they touch audited without them knowing. So your antics of putting extra things into a crate could very easily get a picker or driver hauled up before a manager to explain. They might get a performance related pay hit, they might get sent for retraining, they might lose their job. Seriously the picking is incredibly regulated and monitored. Please stop messing with innocent people's jobs like that when you don't understand the extent of the auditing and scrutiny that goes on.

Also for another poster that said about the pickers hurtling round the store, it's because it's all timed, you're supposed to hit a particular pick rate, different stores take it more seriously than others. There's also timers on the chilled and frozen crates where they have to be completed within a certain precise time so that the contents of the crates aren't out of the cold chain too long. If you don't pick the whole chilled or frozen crate in time someone else has to get a new crate and finish it off and it flags up and is generally not good for picker <-> manager relations.

• Heart
Reactions: 31

On mine people are normally moaning that they haven't returned bank cards to the bank / driving license to the address on it! While it's a nice thing to do, and morally correct for sure, I don't think they should be obliged to do all the chasing.

Wow, what a scummy thing to do.

I did supermarket delivery picking for a while, every so often the crates are randomly selected by the system for manager audit, not just of the individual pickers, but also of the drivers to make sure they're not sneaking extra stuff out of the store in customer crates. Sometimes a picker or driver that's already got a strike against them from a previous mistake might be getting every crate they touch audited without them knowing. So your antics of putting extra things into a crate could very easily get a picker or driver hauled up before a manager to explain. They might get a performance related pay hit, they might get sent for retraining, they might lose their job. Seriously the picking is incredibly regulated and monitored. Please stop messing with innocent people's jobs like that when you don't understand the extent of the auditing and scrutiny that goes on.

Also for another poster that said about the pickers hurtling round the store, it's because it's all timed, you're supposed to hit a particular pick rate, different stores take it more seriously than others. There's also timers on the chilled and frozen crates where they have to be completed within a certain precise time so that the contents of the crates aren't out of the cold chain too long. If you don't pick the whole chilled or frozen crate in time someone else has to get a new crate and finish it off and it flags up and is generally not good for picker <-> manager relations.
I'm sure the poster just thought they were doing a nice thing, a (possibly slightly misguided) RAOK for a stranger! But maybe now you've said this, they will think twice now you've said there could be consequences for the staff. I don't think the intentions were in any way "scummy".

I'm sure the poster just thought they were doing a nice thing, a (possibly slightly misguided) RAOK for a stranger! But maybe now you've said this, they will think twice now you've said there could be consequences for the staff. I don't think the intentions were in any way "scummy".
Sorry, I feel strongly about this having seen for myself how much many people depend on their jobs, so you don't mess with them. Everyone should know by now how ruthless all the supermarkets are, and how terrible their management training is these days. It's absolutely not fair to gather amusement from something that ultimately could get someone sacked.

On mine people are normally moaning that they haven't returned bank cards to the bank / driving license to the address on it! While it's a nice thing to do, and morally correct for sure, I don't think they should be obliged to do all the chasing.

It's pretty obvious there would be some kind of checks being carried out in the same way that random shoppers get checked if they are using the smart shop system

Reactions: 2
It's pretty obvious there would be some kind of checks being carried out in the same way that random shoppers get checked if they are using the smart shop system
Yeh otherwise anyone dodgy would get their mate to do an order of every day items and sneak in meat/booze etc.

Sorry, I feel strongly about this having seen for myself how much many people depend on their jobs, so you don't mess with them. Everyone should know by now how ruthless all the supermarkets are, and how terrible their management training is these days. It's absolutely not fair to gather amusement from something that ultimately could get someone sacked.
No need to say sorry! My POV was completely different from yours, so my eyes have been opened. Just something I'd have never consider, but at the same time I'd have never thought of lobbing a random item in an online shoppers cart! Maybe the original poster should stick to doing it to miserable actual customers in the future. šŸ˜‚
Anyway, back on topic - where have all the manners gone? Have they been chucked in Doris's basket at Sainsbury's? :unsure:

Iā€™ve recently retired from a management job in a charity where I was constantly surprised by the inability of apparently well-educated staffers under 30 to instigate or hold a polite conversation with older donors or corporate supporters. Many admitted to being ā€˜frightenedā€™ of face to face contact, so I think the social media argument is a valid one. It was possible to train them up, but what a joy when I found someone whoā€™d been well brought-up and could talk to people.
I digress. To keep my mind sharp (Iā€™m only 56!) and get me some social interaction, Iā€™m working minimum wage in a local coffee shop a couple of days a week. I greet customers with a cheery ā€˜good morningā€™, maybe a comment about the weather, remember their preferences, say thanks and goodbye. My staff leader (a young woman) took me aside to say there was no need to ā€˜be so cheerfulā€™, as customers would expect all the staff to behave similarly. Errrrr. Anyway. I find if youā€™re polite and cheerful, people old and young and old, are polite back. Older people can be very lonely, and you lose social skills when you live inside your own head. Yo might be the only person they speak to all day, so cut them a bit of slack, maybe.
BIB - Jeez that's a bit depressing isn't it! ā˜¹

And I 100% agree with you @maharini that small interaction could make all the difference to someone's day.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Depressing indeed. Am not OTT cheery, just pleasant. Apparently itā€™s saying ā€˜good morningā€™ thatā€™s the problem, my first question is meant to be ā€˜do you have a reservation?ā€™.

• Sad
  • Heart
So my other neighbors on the right knocked on our door twice today. They had ordered a sofa and it wouldnā€™t fit through their door. They asked if it could be delivered through our back garden. My house is in the middle. So their sofa would actually have to go through two gardens and over the walls where we have old rose bushes that my grandmother planted growing on both sides that have been there for more then 7 years. My father said no. We donā€™t want people we barely know in our house or garden.

Order a smaller sofa that fits your home and donā€™t expect others to automatically agree. šŸ˜‚