Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think thanking the driver is a fairly recent thing, as he does get paid for it he is not volunteering.
Yes, if recent means in the last 45 years. I have always thanked drivers. You are right they get paid, but most of are pleased when someone says thanks even if we're just doing our job.

I have become friendly with many drivers, and on more than one occasion they have stopped closer to where I needed to be.

I work as a picker and I try not to do this (I definitely don't block the aisle horizontally). We have to put the carts somewhere though, same as customers with a trolley 🤷‍♀️
I'll let you into a secret pleasure of mine, it's extremely childish, but it amuses me.

When I see a picker doing their job, I occasionally take pleasure in adding an extra item or two to the cart/trolley.

Do you pickers double check the list at checkout.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
Many years ago I worked in a sandwich bar, we would always ask what they wanted ie bread roll (brown or white) french stick or sliced bread and then if they wanted salad and or a dressing.
One chap came in, barked cheese roll at me then answered his phone before I had chance to ask him anything else, I waited for a gap in the conversation then tried to get his attention several times but he just frowned at me and carried on talking. It was lunchtime and there was a huge queue so I grabbed the nearest roll, shoved some cheese in it and put it in the bag, put it in front of him and he handed me money all the time talking on his phone.
Bet he wasn't too impressed with his boring dry cheese roll when he eventually got to eat it!
I just think it's so rude to be on your phone when someone is trying to serve you, they wouldn't want the assistant to be on their phone whilst serving so why do people think its acceptable the other way round.
These days I always say Thank you really loudly if people let a door shut in my face instead of holding it open or "I think the word you are looking for is excuse me" if someone barges past me.
I no longer move over if people are walking together abreast the whole pavement and can see me coming but make no effort to make way, I just keep going and if I hit them tough!
People treat serving staff, shop staff disgustingly, as a waitress I had a chap whistle and click his fingers at me so I completely ignored him, when he finally found the words excuse me and I went over he said "I've been trying to get your attention for ages" his face was a picture when I said "yes I know sir but I'm not a dog, I don't respond to whistles and finger clicks" other customers actually giggled and said good for you!

• Heart
Reactions: 25
Many years ago I worked in a sandwich bar, we would always ask what they wanted ie bread roll (brown or white) french stick or sliced bread and then if they wanted salad and or a dressing.
One chap came in, barked cheese roll at me then answered his phone before I had chance to ask him anything else, I waited for a gap in the conversation then tried to get his attention several times but he just frowned at me and carried on talking. It was lunchtime and there was a huge queue so I grabbed the nearest roll, shoved some cheese in it and put it in the bag, put it in front of him and he handed me money all the time talking on his phone.
Bet he wasn't too impressed with his boring dry cheese roll when he eventually got to eat it!
I just think it's so rude to be on your phone when someone is trying to serve you, they wouldn't want the assistant to be on their phone whilst serving so why do people think its acceptable the other way round.
These days I always say Thank you really loudly if people let a door shut in my face instead of holding it open or "I think the word you are looking for is excuse me" if someone barges past me.
I no longer move over if people are walking together abreast the whole pavement and can see me coming but make no effort to make way, I just keep going and if I hit them tough!
People treat serving staff, shop staff disgustingly, as a waitress I had a chap whistle and click his fingers at me so I completely ignored him, when he finally found the words excuse me and I went over he said "I've been trying to get your attention for ages" his face was a picture when I said "yes I know sir but I'm not a dog, I don't respond to whistles and finger clicks" other customers actually giggled and said good for you!
I rarely have a good thing to say about sorting office or post office staff, but today I had to pop to my sorting office to collect a parcel.

The woman in front of me in the queue answered a call just before it was her turn to go to the desk. She was literally shouting down the phone. Goes to the desk and just said I have a parcel. They ask for the card she shouts that they didn't leave one. They asked for the postcode which she couldn't give them but she gave a surname and road name. They asked for ID (all while she is still continuing her phone call) to which she had none. They quite apologetically said you have nothing to prove the parcel is for you so we can't give it to you and she went mental effing and blinding. It was so uncalled for

Then she started telling rhe person on the phone what happened and calling the staff member all sorts of names! As if she were the wronged one in the situation

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
I hate going out to do the food shop partly because of how annoyed I get by rude people. I think part of it is because I look younger than I am but I’ll let people out of the door and not get one thank you, no one offers to let me go. No one says excuse me anymore, they just barge past.
Fairly recently I was just walking to work along a straight pavement and this woman came flying out of a shop and almost straight into me and shouted “watch where you’re going, stupid witch”. I don’t think she expected me to hear maybe and just wanted to make a scene (I had headphones on but no music- basically to avoid unwanted social interaction). It really baffled me.

Less manners and more rules of the road; but has anyone noticed more and more people Just forcing their way out of junctions or roundabouts? In the last couple of weeks alone I’ve had several instances of people just expecting me to slam on and not hit them.

• Wow
Yes, if recent means in the last 45 years. I have always thanked drivers. You are right they get paid, but most of are pleased when someone says thanks even if we're just doing our job.

I have become friendly with many drivers, and on more than one occasion they have stopped closer to where I needed to be.

I'll let you into a secret pleasure of mine, it's extremely childish, but it amuses me.

When I see a picker doing their job, I occasionally take pleasure in adding an extra item or two to the cart/trolley.

Do you pickers double check the list at checkout.
Lol no. We have other staff in the back loading things onto the vans. I imagine they are the ones that double check the list, them or the drivers. Either way it will get found out when the customer and driver unload at the other end 🥴 you have to get your kicks somewhere I suppose don't you John.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I hardly ever go out alone now because I’ve so many horrible experiences with people being rude! And I’ll never work in any job ever again that requires me to speak to a member of the public!

• Heart
Lol no. We have other staff in the back loading things onto the vans. I imagine they are the ones that double check the list, them or the drivers. Either way it will get found out when the customer and driver unload at the other end 🥴 you have to get your kicks somewhere I suppose don't you John.
As long as it gets to the customer I am happy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
People don't notice all the lovely people who are kind caring and have very nice manners. They only seem to see that odd one who is a arse.
Same as many men only notice the bad women drivers and never the good ones or the bad men drivers. We see what we want to see.

I cant believe I'm so lucky to see mainly lovely people.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Most people are cunts. The worst are the ones who walk two/three abreast on the pavement/path and expect you to walk in the road or on the grass verge.
Before I had my knee op and had to use a walking stick I found I was expected to get off the pavement. I soon learned to stand my ground and not move. And never said thank you!
Mums with pushchairs were the worst.

My friend is a childminder. She takes new children on a two week trial to make sure they fit in with her existing children and play nicely together.
One child demanded a drink and she told her to say please.
The child responded that my mum pays you, you are my servant so get my drink.
You can guess whether the trial was successful or not.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
I hate going out to do the food shop partly because of how annoyed I get by rude people. I think part of it is because I look younger than I am but I’ll let people out of the door and not get one thank you, no one offers to let me go. No one says excuse me anymore, they just barge past.
Fairly recently I was just walking to work along a straight pavement and this woman came flying out of a shop and almost straight into me and shouted “watch where you’re going, stupid witch”. I don’t think she expected me to hear maybe and just wanted to make a scene (I had headphones on but no music- basically to avoid unwanted social interaction). It really baffled me.

Less manners and more rules of the road; but has anyone noticed more and more people Just forcing their way out of junctions or roundabouts? In the last couple of weeks alone I’ve had several instances of people just expecting me to slam on and not hit them.
Sadly it's becoming the only way to get out of a side street because no one will let you in. I can remember only having to wait for 3 or 4 cars to pass before someone would slow down and let me in, now it can be 40 odd cars. It really won't make any difference to peoples arrival time if they let the odd car in

Reactions: 2
I find groups of runners on pavements the rudest , side by side and no intention of moving or going single file.

Reactions: 5
People don't notice all the lovely people who are kind caring and have very nice manners. They only seem to see that odd one who is a arse.
Same as many men only notice the bad women drivers and never the good ones or the bad men drivers. We see what we want to see.

I cant believe I'm so lucky to see mainly lovely people.
I agree, its the same with honesty, the vast majority of people are honest but people always say how lucky someone is if they get a mobile phone back. Working on the railways I'd say 90% of high value items get returned. You would not believe the stuff in railway lost property because people assume it's been nicked when it's actually been handed in

• Heart
Reactions: 9
BIB - same here. If I'm walking with someone, we go into single file automatically. I expect others to do the same. And back to a point I made upthread, if adults display that behaviour of taking up the whole path, for example, the children are going to do the exact same.

I met a woman with three teen girls on a path one day recently, in a busy city centre. I held my space on the path and at the last minute one of them had to move. I could actually see the amazement on her face.
What!? Mummy always takes over the path with us, how could anyone else possibly need space to get past!
I am sick to the back teeth of people who behave as if there is nobody else on the planet except them.

As for someone clicking their fingers and whistling, words fail me. Well done for what you said to him!
And again, I wonder is that learned behaviour 😡. Disgraceful!

The phone thing at counters or checkouts fries my brain. I saw a polite notice in a bookshop yesterday, the general gist being please hang up your phone / pause your call while being served.
Sad that some people have to be taught such basic manners.

Reactions: 14
There are several sets of roadworks in my town at the moment and I’ve seen countless Facebook posts complaining that people don’t understand what merge in turn means. Some people actually straddle both lanes to stop people coming past them 🙄

Reactions: 4
Walking into my local shopping centre earlier. Some kids coming out followed by the parents.
Mr Swaggery Man strutting in shorts and tshirt in full on LOOK AT ME and clear my way mode, accompanied by wife.

I just marched on regardless. He had to allow me some space, hahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I’m afraid I’m turning into my mother and saying a loud “thank you” when things like this happen. It’s worth it for the confusion on their faces as they try and work out whether it’s a criticism or a compliment.

We were schooled to be polite children, we’d be expected to move out of the way of adults on the pavement or be mindful of other people. Also to give up a seat on public transport to someone who needed it more. It seems a lot of parents nowadays instil in their children a sense of entitlement and ownership of any space they’re in.

Likewise going out to eat at a restaurant was considered a special treat and we would be on our best behaviour. Some of the scenes I’ve witnessed with families beggars belief - when I was a waitress we had a family with a child who spent the meal throwing food on the floor, at the walls, launching peas at other diners, wrapping the table number in a napkin then pouring gravy on it. The parents did absolutely nothing to stop his behaviour and even rewarded him with a dessert. They didn’t apologise when we came to the table and clocked the mess, and they left zero tip. I’d have loved to scrape their plates onto the windscreen and bonnet of their car!
I use a loud 'you're welcome'

It drives u nuts doesn't it a couple of weeks ago I had their crappy nappies in there. 🤢
Get a lock for your bin, problem solved

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Just wondering does anybody else think people's manners have disappeared, I work in a convenience shop and the amount of people on the phone the whole time I'm serving them and people who don't say please or thankyou or even utter a word. People getting off the bus and not thanking the driver.

I was in town with my mum shopping the other day, she stopped to look at something and a old women moaned at her for stopping, then outside a foreign woman whizzed past me on a bike saying "next time I will run you over ##$$"

Is this normal now? I do think it's even worse since covid, is it just me?
I couldn’t agree with you more. I went to our local Tesco Express to collect a parcel and one assistant shouted to another ‘can you go get this lady’s parcel please’ lazy employee replied ‘oh no, I don’t feel like it - you do it’.

unprofessional, work shy. Just bloody annoying.

• Wow
  • Haha