Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find a lot of young children also have no manners nowadays. So many young kids snatching, pushing, barging in and not saying please or thank you. There’s definitely an entitled generation being raised.

I’ve also found old people rude though, I had two separate occasions were old men came into my workplace (retail) and asked whether or not I was too stupid to go uni and if that’s why I worked there… (I actually have a degree!)

Honestly I go out my way to avoid social interaction because I’ve had so many bad experiences.
Agreed. Monkey see, monkey do.
I was walking into a shop one day this week. A couple were on their way out with two or three young children. They barged along, dragging the children, didn't care who they barged into.
So that is what those children see as normal behaviour. 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I have no time for older people who expect good manners but offer nothing of the sort in return. Its so arrogant and rude.

Reactions: 20
I had an appointment at my local hospital for a minor procedure on the Sunday of the Jubilee weekend. I went to the reception desk, where I was completely ignored by two women there who were fiddling around with the computer. I literally stood there for 4 minutes, whilst they sat less than two feet away from me, it was as though I was invisible. Eventually, one of them looked up and said "Yes?" I shoved my appointment letter up at the screen, she just pointed and said "Through there", she was so rude! 😡😡

• Sad
Reactions: 18
I worked in a small shop when they introduced the mandatory mask wearing. It was the first day of it and the rules the government laid out where you didn't have to wear the mask if you were behind the counter behind the glass.
A man came in and was so viscous with me speaking really sharp and angry going wheres your mask. I was light and said you don't need one behind the glass and he actually stood there gawping and intimidating me.
I totally get it if I wasn't following the rules but there was no need for the intimidation. The whole pandemic really opened my eyes to how childish, rude and selfish people can be. I always smile at shop staff/ waiters etc and have manners they put up with some horrid people!
I think the pandemic brought out the worst in people across the board. Somewhere along the long people lost a lot of basic respect and compassion for others. Sniping and snapping at people who had a different opinion to them, constantly criticising others about the restrictions and causing arguments over things. I definitely feel the world became a nastier place during covid

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 26
Just wondering does anybody else think people's manners have disappeared, I work in a convenience shop and the amount of people on the phone the whole time I'm serving them and people who don't say please or thankyou or even utter a word. People getting off the bus and not thanking the driver.

I was in town with my mum shopping the other day, she stopped to look at something and a old women moaned at her for stopping, then outside a foreign woman whizzed past me on a bike saying "next time I will run you over ##$$"

Is this normal now? I do think it's even worse since covid, is it just me?
I don't know how you found the strength not to run after her and push her off the friggin' bike!

Manners are definitely disappearing. I notice when I buy something from a shop, most of the time the person serving me does not say please or thank you. When they do this, I take my items/change/receipt and just walk out without saying anything. Customer service seems to be in the decline. If they are going to be rude to me, I will be rude back.

Also, I hate it when there is a narrow doorway, footpath or aisle that only has space for one person to pass, if I move to one side to let someone pass, if they do not thank me, I will shout very loudly "you're welcome". Sadly common decency doesn't exist any more and I have started to give up displaying kindness and politeness as it is seldom returned.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Tell me about it!
I walked into a pub today, because I needed a drink and to use the facilaties. I waited to be acknowledged by a woman in front of the bar, chatting to customers, I think she was the landlady. There was a barmaid pouring a glass of wine for someone, I accept the she was busy, but she could have at least acknowledged me.
The landlady continued chatting to customers, I didn't get the chance to speak up, because my pressence wasn't acknowledged.
So I walked out.
I hope you used the toilets anyway.

Reactions: 8
I don't know how you found the strength not to run after her and push her off the friggin' bike!

Manners are definitely disappearing. I notice when I buy something from a shop, most of the time the person serving me does not say please or thank you. When they do this, I take my items/change/receipt and just walk out without saying anything. Customer service seems to be in the decline. If they are going to be rude to me, I will be rude back.

Also, I hate it when there is a narrow doorway, footpath or aisle that only has space for one person to pass, if I move to one side to let someone pass, if they do not thank me, I will shout very loudly "you're welcome". Sadly common decency doesn't exist any more and I have started to give up displaying kindness and politeness as it is seldom returned.
Believe me if I wasn't with my mum who gets a bit nervous the bloody bike would of been wrapped around her neck.

I worked in a small shop when they introduced the mandatory mask wearing. It was the first day of it and the rules the government laid out where you didn't have to wear the mask if you were behind the counter behind the glass.
A man came in and was so viscous with me speaking really sharp and angry going wheres your mask. I was light and said you don't need one behind the glass and he actually stood there gawping and intimidating me.
I totally get it if I wasn't following the rules but there was no need for the intimidation. The whole pandemic really opened my eyes to how childish, rude and selfish people can be. I always smile at shop staff/ waiters etc and have manners they put up with some horrid people!
We were on holiday in Scotland 2020 and a lorry driver walked past me and told me he hoped I got covid because in his eyes I was walking on the wrong bit of path out in the open.

I think the pandemic brought out the worst in people across the board. Somewhere along the long people lost a lot of basic respect and compassion for others. Sniping and snapping at people who had a different opinion to them, constantly criticising others about the restrictions and causing arguments over things. I definitely feel the world became a nastier place during covid
Absolutely since covid a lot of people think they can say do behave exactly how they want to with zero respect. In my shop now I treat customers as they treat me I don't get paid minimum wage to put up with their s%$t

• Sad
Reactions: 10
I always say this! It seemed covid gave people a free pass to be an absolute arse loudly and publicly in a way they’d never have the confidence to do normally.

Reactions: 11
Oops I've done this as up til now I assumed it was rhetorical. We don't use that phrase where I am. Youtubers say it a lot and I've always found it weird. 🙈
Personally I see it as a way of building and maintaining professional relationships, in the same way we might ask someone we work with if they had a nice weekend or how their holiday was. I'm not really interested in the answer, it's just a pleasantry and it's nice for it to be reciprocated.

Reactions: 5
I always say this! It seemed covid gave people a free pass to be an absolute arse loudly and publicly in a way they’d never have the confidence to do normally.
Yeah it gave people ammunition to be awful to each other and it hasn't really stopped since 😅 don't get me wrong there were plenty of rude and nasty people before but now it seems way worse!

Reactions: 9
We all work hard for our money and if I am going to spend money in a shop/cafe/restaurant, I, at least expect a smile. Thank you etc when dealing with you.

If they are busy, a nod of the head to acknowledge you is the least that they can do when dealing with other customers.

Some people on the tills, will only say 'the cost of the purchase' not a smile, please or thank you. My pet hate.

If not, I leave the shop etc and go elsewhere

Reactions: 10
My brother pulled me up a couple of weeks ago for not saying thank you at a restaurant. I think he completely ignored my 4 other pleas and thank yous when ordering 😂
I always say thank you, please etc. like a lot have said, old people are the worst! They never say thank you for pulling over when driving, moving out of their way on the path…
What really gets to me, is on the school run it’s always me and the kids walking on the outside by the road or stopping. No one batters an eyelid. Especially when they’re walking 3/4 people wide 😠
My kids have really god manners. Always say please and thank you when we’re out or even to me and dad. My 2 year old makes me die when he says ‘thank you mummy’ I’m literally left in A puddle! He says thank you to the cars when they let us go also. Just hope everything I’ve taught my daughter she does when she goes to school on her own!
I am also one that says thank you when (very rarely) getting off the bus. Either say it or put my hand up. Not sure why. They’re going that way anyway 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I work in a supermarket, people are just horrible. The amount of people that come in, don’t make eye contact, keep their EarPods in while you’re trying to ask them something, then get rude and demanding because they want you to do whatever it was you just asked them 3-4 times, infuriates me.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
I even say "thank you" to Alexa 😬

My biggest peeve is people not raising a hand to say "thank you" when you've given way to them when driving - especially when it was actually your right of way. As said so many times upthread, it really is older people that don't seem to do this. Really, how hard is it to raise your hand? I actually spent my journey this morning wanting to drive into people that didn't do this and planned to come home and start a Tattle thread on it.....and here you all are already!!! 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 14
I even say "thank you" to Alexa 😬

My biggest peeve is people not raising a hand to say "thank you" when you've given way to them when driving - especially when it was actually your right of way. As said so many times upthread, it really is older people that don't seem to do this. Really, how hard is it to raise your hand? I actually spent my journey this morning wanting to drive into people that didn't do this and planned to come home and start a Tattle thread on it.....and here you all are already!!! 😂
Yes exactly this!! Or when you indicate to go round a corner they carry on behind you like they’re gonna go into the back of you.. like give me bloody chance to turn the corner man!!

• Heart
I don't really stress about it and let it fly over my head mostly. There's so many reasons for impoliteness, they could be really busy, running late, having a bad day, stressed, anxious, shy, grieving (esp older people, we tend to underestimate how much loss they've experienced by that age, no wonder the poor buggers are miserable) it doesn't always mean people are being deliberately rude to you or that they're like it all the time. Plus it makes life more interesting, it would feel a bit stepford housewives if we were all perfectly good mannered at all times

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
I don't really stress about it and let it fly over my head mostly. There's so many reasons for impoliteness, they could be really busy, running late, having a bad day, stressed, anxious, shy, grieving (esp older people, we tend to underestimate how much loss they've experienced by that age, no wonder the poor buggers are miserable) it doesn't always mean people are being deliberately rude to you or that they're like it all the time. Plus it makes life more interesting, it would feel a bit stepford housewives if we were all perfectly good mannered at all times
This is true, but there is such a thing as basic common courtesy. I have a saying,
"To say thank you costs nothing, but it means everything"

Reactions: 16
I think a lot of people feel powerless, like they have limited control over their lives too.

We all work hard for our money and if I am going to spend money in a shop/cafe/restaurant, I, at least expect a smile. Thank you etc when dealing with you.

If they are busy, a nod of the head to acknowledge you is the least that they can do when dealing with other customers.

Some people on the tills, will only say 'the cost of the purchase' not a smile, please or thank you. My pet hate.

If not, I leave the shop etc and go elsewhere
I owned a coffee shop and my poor staff would get an absolute rocket if customers weren't acknowledged within 30 seconds. No one got in my shop without me seeing them. Even if I had my back to the door I'd be checking the reflection in the window.

Reactions: 13