Where have all the manners gone??

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I too feel older people are especially rude - many don't seem to have a filter and just say whatever they're thinking!
It must be very hard for old people as the rules of life changed so drastically in one generation

Once it was very ok to chat to other people's children, to talk to a pregnant lady about her pregnancy ( and yes even to touch her bump) , to go sit on a bench and chat to whomever is sitting there. to be able to sit and watch children play without parents looking at them as if they are child molesters.

Today's society is a unfriendly unforgiving one, we are naturally social creatures but are very fast becoming unsociable and it seems that is now the more prevalent. whereas before the unsociable were looked at as unusual.

Reactions: 19
It must be very hard for old people as the rules of life changed so drastically in one generation

Once it was very ok to chat to other people's children, to talk to a pregnant lady about her pregnancy ( and yes even to touch her bump) , to go sit on a bench and chat to whomever is sitting there. to be able to sit and watch children play without parents looking at them as if they are child molesters.

Today's society is a unfriendly unforgiving one, we are naturally social creatures but are very fast becoming unsociable and it seems that is now the more prevalent. whereas before the unsociable were looked at as unusual.
So true ...

I was having coffee with a good friend at a park a few years back and there was a lovely friendly old gentleman talking to the kids; he picked her daughter up and popped her onto his knee which sent my friend sprinting over there to read him the riot act. He could have been just a lovely old man, but he also could've been sinister - times have changed and that sort of thing just isn't okay anymore (with strangers' kids anyway).

• Sad
Reactions: 12
So true ...

I was having coffee with a good friend at a park a few years back and there was a lovely friendly old gentleman talking to the kids; he picked her daughter up and popped her onto his knee which sent my friend sprinting over there to read him the riot act. He could have been just a lovely old man, but he also could've been sinister - times have changed and that sort of thing just isn't okay anymore (with strangers' kids anyway).
Yes, I'm not saying one is right the other wrong it is just hard to understand the rule changes ( although cant remember anyone actually picking up and child unless lost or hurt)

For me the hardest ever change was calling black people black instead of coloured. . I remember going bright red and feeling absolutely awful. because black was seen as racist talk and coloured was polite, This was the 70s and I grew up in London and had many black friends who also thought it was strange . obviously I was young and got used to it but I imagine for older people it was harder. imagine being called a racist for saying what was once the non racist way.
Now of course we are going backwards with "person of colour" so changing once again. As a CT I have no option than to believe they are keeping us wrong footed 🤪😂

Reactions: 9
Yes, I'm not saying one is right the other wrong it is just hard to understand the rule changes ( although cant remember anyone actually picking up and child unless lost or hurt)

For me the hardest ever change was calling black people black instead of coloured. . I remember going bright red and feeling absolutely awful. because black was seen as racist talk and coloured was polite, This was the 70s and I grew up in London and had many black friends who also thought it was strange . obviously I was young and got used to it but I imagine for older people it was harder. imagine being called a racist for saying what was once the non racist way.
Now of course we are going backwards with "person of colour" so changing once again. As a CT I have no option than to believe they are keeping us wrong footed 🤪😂
I hear you and understand completely, @Purrrrrrr ... I'm fellow CT and enjoy your posts on that thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
But generally people do seem to have lost manners - the pushing and shoving in supermarkets, drivers who pull out with no signals, cyclists who think they own the road.
Can I add to this drivers who do not give way to pedestrians at junctions? It drives me insane! And some will cut across my path only to sit there waiting to pull out, so they are effectively stuck there. Learn the Highway Code you morons!

Reactions: 5
BIB: I will absolutely agree with the socially intelligent bit and I honestly think it comes from so many people using anxiety and depression as an excuse or a crutch. Social behaviours are learned and most people can learn them quite easily. For example: talking to people. I have so many people ask me how I can just talk to anyone and it's not hard. You learn what works, what people will respond to, what generally gets people smiling or engaging. But if so many people are staying home or saying "my anxiety won't allow me to do that" well....
Agree also. Another thing going on with some young people is they avoid real life interactions because they prefer who they can be online, it all shatters with actual contact and they hate confronting themselves.

I think some people have become overly sensitive and misinterpret others as 'criticising' them, so they snap back. However, judging by the stories posted itt, it does sound as if a lot of people are deliberately dominating eachother, especially shop staff. Maybe more people are feeling powerless and pessimistic these days? (I am not excusing). We have little societal shame either tbh, regardless of how much bleating about it online there is. I think some of them really need to travel if they think we're a 'shaming culture', in many societies people will rip each other to shreds in public for breaking social norms. The average British person would crumble! 🤣

Reactions: 3
I'm in Ireland and work on retail. I find people in their mid 50s to late 60s very rude. Especially women. There's also one guy that comes in with earpods in his ears. He asks for something at the counter. then when I ask him something he can't hear me. So bleeping rude. If someone doesn't say thanks I always say you are welcome out loud 😂

Reactions: 12
I'm in Ireland and work on retail. I find people in their mid 50s to late 60s very rude. Especially women. There's also one guy that comes in with earpods in his ears. He asks for something at the counter. then when I ask him something he can't hear me. So bleeping rude. If someone doesn't say thanks I always say you are welcome out loud 😂
It's not hard to simply take out your earphones when you're at the till! I always have mine in when shopping but take them out to engage with the person serving me!

Reactions: 8
I used to work on the railway. I used to run up and down the platform letting people know about any announcements cos they couldn't hear anything with their earbuds in but after a while I just thought duck you dummy, miss your train, I don't care.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 20
Some people might think this is petty but I've gone out to put the last of my recycling out collection day to find my neighbour has yet again filled it to the brim with the stuff they can't fit in theirs. So hubby took theirs out chucked it on the floor and put ours in our own bin. Why not tap my door and ask me its so dam rude.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
Some people might think this is petty but I've gone out to put the last of my recycling out collection day to find my neighbour has yet again filled it to the brim with the stuff they can't fit in theirs. So hubby took theirs out chucked it on the floor and put ours in our own bin. Why not tap my door and ask me its so dam rude.
My neighbour does that. They also put their black bin rubbish in my bin which really pisses me off as I'm trying to reduce my waste and they just seem to generate even more to make up for my lack.

• Wow
My neighbour does that. They also put their black bin rubbish in my bin which really pisses me off as I'm trying to reduce my waste and they just seem to generate even more to make up for my lack.
It drives u nuts doesn't it a couple of weeks ago I had their crappy nappies in there. 🤢

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 11
I have a neighbour who in the dead of night tip toes up and down the lane distributing their empty wine bottles in the bins out for recycling. He's a lovely guy so I've never commented and hey who wants to be judged by the bin men.

Dirty nappies though that's just not on.

• Wow
  • Haha
An old neighbour of mine used to dump all his beer cans & bottles in my blue bin, used to drive me insane!

One day I figured out which neighbour it was, I went and dumped the rubbish outside his back gate and he had the cheek to walk past me and glare later on! So I glared back! Idiot!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
One of my neighbours once decided to fill my purple bin with all their rubbish, on the day of collection after the bin men had already been!! I went to take it in to my yard and it was near full! I just threw it all on the floor. I can't comprehend the cheek of some people. There was a loose nappy in the bottom too. I wouldn't have minded pre collection but what goes through your mind to do that in someone's empty bin

• Sick
It drives u nuts doesn't it a couple of weeks ago I had their crappy nappies in there. 🤢
My neighbours used to do this, they were always filling my bin with their rubbish. Never asked, not once. I let it go, mostly because my bin was half empty usually, but then one time I'd had a big clearout and needed the bin space, so I put the bag back on their driveway - and moved my bin to the other side of my front garden - so they would have to come into my garden and put the bag in rather than just leaning over the wall. They've never done it since.

Their kids constantly booting their footballs into my garden is another matter :mad: