Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Skyeball

Chatty Member
Reading. And although I haven't done it for a while I like needle felting.
I used to go to swimming and aqua fit, but all our evenings are occupied now so not been to either for about a year.
I want to start going swimming again in my lunch hour but I'm always really tired. The curse of Mum's taxi!
I fancy learning calligraphy, taking up adult colouring and I know this is a bit sad, but I've just signed up to simply cook and the hubby and I are going to make the recipes together.
He can't cook much and I've got in a rut with the family meals so we thought we'd turn it into a bit of fun for us both.
I used to be cool. Obviously that ship has sailed, put a Mayday out and chugged down to the seabed. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 1

idk2

VIP Member
Sounds great!!
I started learning French too since i already have a background from school but I'm better at understanding than speaking rn, any tips to how to improve? (Speaking and writing)😥
I dont speak French but was in a similar situation a year ago about learning 2/3 of my home languages. I understood them perfectly but couldn't string a sentence together to save my life!

Youtube is a GREAT resource for languages. I used to write down all key words/sentences/words I needed in the moment but couldn't think of in my notes section on my phone to always refer too. I also started watching a lot of tv shows and movies in that language and that REALLY helped me.
Bit of a weird fact here but i used to converse with myself in the language, in my head. I started with generic conversations like asking how people are, how's the weather, where is this, how to get here etc and then moved along to more complicated stuff and eventually built up the courage to start talking to some of my family with phrases/sentences I learnt. It was a really fun learning experience. Try to talk to as many people as you can in the language and dont be afraid to use the wrong tenses, I still do that but at least my general query gets across 🤣 I feel like I'm semi fluent now as I can definitely hold a conversation, before I would stutter and break off in to English every chance I got.

jewelkitty

Chatty Member
My Saturday afternoon pottery class are my big hobby. I also like to read, play videos games and watch films. I flit between yoga and the gym but I just really hate exercising, can't find anything I truly love :( Also trying to get more into photography and painting, and back to drawing which I used to do

Noname12345

Chatty Member
I think a good way to know if you can classify something as a hobby, if you aren’t sure, is to ask yourself if you set time aside specifically for it.

I was talking about my lack of hobbies with my mate once and said I guess I liked riding my bike. She asked “yes but do you go out specifically to do that?” And I realised i almost never did for the sake of it, always because I needed to get somewhere. Sure it’s still an activity I enjoy or I’d get the bus... similarly you can enjoy reading on the train instead of looking at your phone , but if you only do it to pass time like that and never just for the sake of it at home, it’s less of a hobby. A bit harsh though, I’m sure there are plenty of exceptions, Like an exercise class is usually done for more reasons than pure pleasure, even if you really love zumba or whatever. But still it’s a guideline I refer to sometimes.
I set aside time for work and sleep. 😂

Kidding apart, not a bad tip :)

LittleMy

VIP Member
I can’t remember. I haven’t had a whole lot of free time since I started having children 5 years ago. 😳

I think I used to be partial to a good book...and cinema dates. I remember I used to have an unlimited card! Also went to fitness classes. I enjoy baking. I like to do that with the kids.

Nowadays I’m too tired in the evenings so either end up in bed or falling asleep in front of some TV show I’ve been binge watching. If I were given a day without the kids, I’d probably spend it catching up with housework. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mustard

VIP Member
I have recently got into baking (especially banana bread!). I also like running- I did the couch to 5k programme and now training to do 10k. Thinking of joining the local gym so I have more options of sports, it also means I won't be able to keep using the weather as an excuse to not exercise!
Oh and I also like colouring :D.
Try the different banana Bread versions in the Simply Recipe site. I make the basic version and also sometimes add cacao powder to it. I also make the banana muffin recipe.

SareBear

I need a hobby!! I really want to buy a cutting machine that I can sit there and make pointless stationery and crap!!

KateESJ

VIP Member
I never really considered watching Films a hobby but I guess it could be classes as one. I used to be huge into film and I've just started getting back into it again. When the kids are at their dads, I treat myself to a cinema trip. I find it really therapeutic.

50sGirl

VIP Member
Reading and learning irish

My dad has done both his and my mums family trees going way back. Lots of research online and at libraries/record offices. He even got in touch with some distant family and has met them
Have your parents done the dna tests? If not, be warned it might unearth some skeletons!

Caramel Latte

I dont speak French but was in a similar situation a year ago about learning 2/3 of my home languages. I understood them perfectly but couldn't string a sentence together to save my life!

Youtube is a GREAT resource for languages. I used to write down all key words/sentences/words I needed in the moment but couldn't think of in my notes section on my phone to always refer too. I also started watching a lot of tv shows and movies in that language and that REALLY helped me.
Bit of a weird fact here but i used to converse with myself in the language, in my head. I started with generic conversations like asking how people are, how's the weather, where is this, how to get here etc and then moved along to more complicated stuff and eventually built up the courage to start talking to some of my family with phrases/sentences I learnt. It was a really fun learning experience. Try to talk to as many people as you can in the language and dont be afraid to use the wrong tenses, I still do that but at least my general query gets across 🤣 I feel like I'm semi fluent now as I can definitely hold a conversation, before I would stutter and break off in to English every chance I got.
Thanks for the encouragement 😊
Yea i think what i miss is a francophone 😅 although just yesterday i texted an old friend who speaks French to catch up and probably ask her to help me🤭😏

Sven

VIP Member
I do jigsaw puzzles/read/draw/sew

I’m really fun at parties

JK - I don’t go to parties 😁

Itsallaboutmememe

Chatty Member
I read
also cross stitch-I buy the cheap stamped ones from wish then give them away
wanna learn how to knit & crochet too

Sparks

Chatty Member
I don't have a hobby :( I walk the dog and watch TV in my spare time.
That is pretty much what I do, especially in Winter time where it gets dark so early and I feel like I should go to bed at 8pm.

I used to craft quite a bit, I have a silhouette and a sewing machine but with work and the kids there is not that much time.