What’s your glow up secret?!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe just focus on one area at a time? And perhaps book a session with a personal stylist who could help advise re clothes? Difficult I know at the moment but I’ve seen on Instagram stylists offering video appointments if that’s an option for you?
For me, I think the lack of clothes is properly the least of my problems. I have a real issue with spending large amount of money on clothes. I shop on boohoo/Shein/ASOS/primark but it’s just things that are comfortable. I had a baby last year so my body has changed but I have lost 2 and a half stone since jan so finally fitting back into my clothes. I just need confidence to wear nicer things!

Would making an appointment with a personal stylist maybe help? They can be pricey but I’ve heard that they can really help!
I don’t think a stylist would help to be honest. I think my problem is confidence & laziness!

Totally in the same boat, always felt a bit useless when it came to anything like this - all my friends seem to just naturally know all the things and I’m like sorry did I miss some kind of self help guide book when I went into my teens? The loss of identity after having kids doesn’t help too. Our confidence will come back I’m absolutely sure of it. You shouldn’t be embarrassed of yourself in the slightest, I think everyone goes through lulls of feeling like an actual dogs testicle - I know I do! Sending lots of positive vibes your way xx
I saw an old school friend on Friday. I’m surprised she recognised me. She looked absolutely stunning & I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge backwards. I’m sick of feeling like this now.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I’m on session 5/6 and it’s honestly changed my life. I was so hairy before hair would honestly grow back by the evening the day of shaving. I was so conscious I even wore jeans the day we moved house which was the hottest day of the year.

I really want Botox - I just have no idea where to start to find someone decent.
Go with a plastic surgeon's office or dermatologist and find out what their qualifications are. I would stay away from doctors/dentists that do it.

Reactions: 4
I wish that I had the time & energy to take care of myself. I am genuinely clueless. I spent hours watching make up videos on YouTube to learn how to contour, brought all the recommended make up & I just cannot do it. My hair is a mess. I have it done regularly but I sweat at night so unless I wash it everyday, it looks vile. I ask to be all over blonde & she still does highlights & because of the sweat, it looks ginger. I did an eye brow tinting course to learn how to do it, they still look horrendous. I found the skincare thread on here & learnt about toner & cleanser so have started doing that. My teeth are awful. Just bought some whitening strips. Il
I would love to be glam. I have no fashion sense. I wear black or grey.
I used to be the most confident woman. I don’t know what’s happened but I have lost it. I feel horrid & I am embarrassed of myself.
sorry, this isn’t a glow up advise.
if anyone can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it! X
Hi, if I were you, I would make a list of everything I want to change and then brainstorm. For example, you mentioned your hair becoming ginger when you originally had it blonde. A really good purple shampoo (like John Freida) can keep your hair ashy and prevent it becoming ginger.

For contouring, I know it’s difficult to get, but practice really makes perfect. Keep at it, try using contour sticks or powders as they can be easier. (If you like PM me and I can send you some videos or some techniques I use)

Once you start seeing the results you want, the confidence will come back naturally :)

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Omg thank you for replying to this thread I’m so happy I’ve got a few people back into pampering themselves! I made this on a random night (I have trouble sleeping and anxiety issues!) so it’s a lovely thought and there’s so many good replies ❤

I like this thread, can't wait to hear what others have to say. Maybe I can try something new and see if it works for me.

I love "spa" days. I do it myself at home to cut costs (saving money is another of my glows). Painting my nails, waxing, and facials always make me feel lighter and happier. For my facial: I have a mud mask that I put on, wash it off, and put honey on for about 30 minutes. Wash that off, then apply coconut oil. I gently dab off the oil after about another 30 minutes, but don't wash it off. Also use coconut oil as my hair conditioner.

Making the bed every morning. It makes me feel like I get more out of the day compared to days that I don't do it.

A clean house and excercise make me happy... A clean house is a privilege with a toddler around, so I really cherish those hours before it's a mess again. Excercise always makes me happy afterwards, a runners high really exists I can attest to it... But somehow it still takes me a few hours to talk myself into doing it.

Natural light is the very top of my glow list. I get sad/down very easily. Over time, I've learnt the things I need to do to pick myself up: being in a bright room with natural light is one of them (even better being outside, but not always practical). The first thing I do when my family is awake is open all the blinds and let in the light. Sunshine or rain, it's still natural light. I cannot be in a windowless room for a long time, my mood will drop.

As far as clothes go: I love dressing up! Kate Middleton used to be my style icon before she started dressing like my grandmother (sorry Kate fans). I have a collection of dresses, bras, and shoes that I can't wear all the time but always make sure to find an occasion.

This blue poppy dress is one of my all time favorites. I don't normally buy what celebrities wear, but this one I had to. It's my favourite dress. The coat is my favourite too, I got a dress maker to make me something similar at half of the cost. When I'm not dressed up, I like skinny jeans. Won't ever see me in anything baggy. Baggy clothes have a dark room effect for me, they make me feel blah.
that dress is gorgeous!! Also the dark room effect is soooo real - I tend to sleep with my blinds up now because it makes me less likely to sleep in when I wake up

What are your thoughts on dermaplaning, is it good? Does the hair grow back thicker?
I also dermaplane and honestly my hair does grow back a bit thicker (not stubbly but just like it does with hair removal cream) I assume this is because it’s not removed at the root but tbh I don’t think it’s a big issue for me as I do it quite a lot and I’m Asian so thick facial hair is sort of a given!

Omg! This is actually such a good idea!
I always feel so much better when I make sure I keep on top of my water intake. It try and make sure I drink at least 2 litres each day, I’ve fallen behind in the last few days so I’m glad to have stumbled upon this thread, going to make sure I put the effort in today as I find I have a clearer head and just feel better overall when I make a conscious effort to stay hydrated.

I also like to make sure I keep my eyes brows neat (I also them them subtlety micro blades) and get my underarms waxed regularly. Also, if I ever find myself about to order a take away, I usually jump on ASOS and order myself a new item of clothing instead as I always seem to moan about never having anything nice to wear 🤣
100% trying the takeaway tip! I’ll probably lose a fe of these lockdown pounds - gotten way too cosy with a few extra takeaways

This! A bit of Bondi Sands Light/Medium foam and I feel delicious!

I love the first night of new sheets, always tend to do my Skincare OTT and pop on a layer of Kiehls overnight mask then settle in with some Netflix, crisps and dip. When I'm in a routine of actually doing my skincare consistently I always feel better about myself. Note to self starting tonight!

Also, I love the feeling after I've cleaned my en suite, vacuumed my room and changed sheets! Always feel productive after that especially since losing my job the small things are huge lately!
Is it any good for very dry skin? I’ve been really wanting a good overnight mask that will leave me rlly hydrated in the morning x

sounds lush! 😍 what are tanning drops?Do you mix it with moisturiser?
isle of paradise are amazing too! I’d say go a bit darker than what you’re wanting to of you use them with moisturiser (it dilutes it a lot more) or if you’re using oil I usually use almond oil with them but I’m sure any would work fine 💕

Chanel No 5 shower gel and body lotion. I don’t use it often as it’s pricey but nothing makes me feel cleaner, fresher or sexier!
If you’re looking for a cheapish alternative pamper product I’d recommend the deodorants, they’re fairly alright priced for Chanel, lasts abs ages and smell exactly like the perfumes!

I wish that I had the time & energy to take care of myself. I am genuinely clueless. I spent hours watching make up videos on YouTube to learn how to contour, brought all the recommended make up & I just cannot do it. My hair is a mess. I have it done regularly but I sweat at night so unless I wash it everyday, it looks vile. I ask to be all over blonde & she still does highlights & because of the sweat, it looks ginger. I did an eye brow tinting course to learn how to do it, they still look horrendous. I found the skincare thread on here & learnt about toner & cleanser so have started doing that. My teeth are awful. Just bought some whitening strips. Il
I would love to be glam. I have no fashion sense. I wear black or grey.
I used to be the most confident woman. I don’t know what’s happened but I have lost it. I feel horrid & I am embarrassed of myself.
sorry, this isn’t a glow up advise.
if anyone can offer any advice, I would really appreciate it! X
I’m with you. Always hate the way I look but no idea where to start to change it. Especially clothes wise
Totally in the same boat, always felt a bit useless when it came to anything like this - all my friends seem to just naturally know all the things and I’m like sorry did I miss some kind of self help guide book when I went into my teens? The loss of identity after having kids doesn’t help too. Our confidence will come back I’m absolutely sure of it. You shouldn’t be embarrassed of yourself in the slightest, I think everyone goes through lulls of feeling like an actual dogs testicle - I know I do! Sending lots of positive vibes your way xx
so sorry you feel like this!! I wish I could give you all a cuddle because absolutely no one deserves to feel like it (definitely going through a bit of a weird time rn in the identity phase) always felt like I knew what to do to make myself look better and now it’s just sorta gone and Im never looking at myself and thinking wow, it’s always “I could look sooo much better if I had XYZ, and xyz usualky is some wildly expensive cosmetic procedure” and it doesn’t help that the motivation I used to have to eat well, drinkplenty of water and work out has disappeared.

if I could offer advice for anything it would be some of these
The hair I’m sorry I don’t have more experience of this, I do know that l have a girlfriend who’s black and she regularly styles her hair the night before and to keep it in place wears a silk hair bag sort of thing, (I can’t remember for the life of me what it’s called) I think she also mentioned it’s very good for keeping moisture in (conditioner and oils etc) so I assume it would work the same for keeping them out?
Makeup is definitely something you just have to keep at and find your style although I would say keeping it light and focusing on prepping your skin and getting that looking amazing is key, or at least that’s what I’ve found
I tried so so hard for years with brows and now I just leave it to the professionals, I get HD brows done - on their site you can find a stylist near you (I’d say go for the top level which is an elite stylist as it costs the same and they’re at a better level) they’re specially trained to style, wax, thread, pluck and tint and also teach you how to apply makeup to your eyebrows to make them look exactly how you want them - I know a few stylists up north I could recommend to you if you want to PM me :)

clothes wise, getting a personal stylist can be pricey but also affordable I think it’s very much you pay for what you get sort of thing. Tbh I love pintrest for outfits, it’s really helped me with styling myself, I pin different pictures to my outfit board and see what sort of staples I should be looking to get / outfits I should try

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Hi, if I were you, I would make a list of everything I want to change and then brainstorm. For example, you mentioned your hair becoming ginger when you originally had it blonde. A really good purple shampoo (like John Freida) can keep your hair ashy and prevent it becoming ginger.

For contouring, I know it’s difficult to get, but practice really makes perfect. Keep at it, try using contour sticks or powders as they can be easier. (If you like PM me and I can send you some videos or some techniques I use)

Once you start seeing the results you want, the confidence will come back naturally :)
Thank you so much!!! I will PM you now x

Oooo it won’t let me PM you. Your profile is limited it says x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m on session 5/6 and it’s honestly changed my life. I was so hairy before hair would honestly grow back by the evening the day of shaving. I was so conscious I even wore jeans the day we moved house which was the hottest day of the year.

I really want Botox - I just have no idea where to start to find someone decent.
If you’re in the North West I can recommend someone :) it’s very hard to find the right practicioner

Reactions: 1

Oh that’s odd, but Leeds / the area surrounding I’ll be able to help you out with 🥰!

If you’re in the North West I can recommend someone :) it’s very hard to find the right practicioner
Agreed! Took me 3 goes to find the right girl but she’s literally a MIRACLE worker!!!

I felt I lost my identity, I had gained 3/4 stone since meeting my husband. I was always quite alternative but as I got bigger I wanted to be seen less and less. I’m trying to lose weight and I’m gaining myself back. One think I have learnt turning 30 is don’t give two hoots what anyone else thinks. I have very conservative parents and I always worried what they thought. I haven’t lived at home for 12 years and I need to get over it!

For me it’s getting out of comfies, doing my hair and wearing something nice. I love a long bath, gin and tonic, I do my eyebrows and lashes, put a hair mask on and dermoplain my face. I then full body moisturise. I must put myself first more often. I don’t enjoy the saline but I do get my nails done.

Pinterest is good for ideas on looks and styles.

Id love to be able to curl my hair but I just have no idea despite watching you tube 🙈

• Heart
Omg thank you for replying to this thread I’m so happy I’ve got a few people back into pampering themselves! I made this on a random night (I have trouble sleeping and anxiety issues!) so it’s a lovely thought and there’s so many good replies ❤

that dress is gorgeous!! Also the dark room effect is soooo real - I tend to sleep with my blinds up now because it makes me less likely to sleep in when I wake up

I also dermaplane and honestly my hair does grow back a bit thicker (not stubbly but just like it does with hair removal cream) I assume this is because it’s not removed at the root but tbh I don’t think it’s a big issue for me as I do it quite a lot and I’m Asian so thick facial hair is sort of a given!

100% trying the takeaway tip! I’ll probably lose a fe of these lockdown pounds - gotten way too cosy with a few extra takeaways

Is it any good for very dry skin? I’ve been really wanting a good overnight mask that will leave me rlly hydrated in the morning x

isle of paradise are amazing too! I’d say go a bit darker than what you’re wanting to of you use them with moisturiser (it dilutes it a lot more) or if you’re using oil I usually use almond oil with them but I’m sure any would work fine 💕

If you’re looking for a cheapish alternative pamper product I’d recommend the deodorants, they’re fairly alright priced for Chanel, lasts abs ages and smell exactly like the perfumes!

so sorry you feel like this!! I wish I could give you all a cuddle because absolutely no one deserves to feel like it (definitely going through a bit of a weird time rn in the identity phase) always felt like I knew what to do to make myself look better and now it’s just sorta gone and Im never looking at myself and thinking wow, it’s always “I could look sooo much better if I had XYZ, and xyz usualky is some wildly expensive cosmetic procedure” and it doesn’t help that the motivation I used to have to eat well, drinkplenty of water and work out has disappeared.

if I could offer advice for anything it would be some of these
The hair I’m sorry I don’t have more experience of this, I do know that l have a girlfriend who’s black and she regularly styles her hair the night before and to keep it in place wears a silk hair bag sort of thing, (I can’t remember for the life of me what it’s called) I think she also mentioned it’s very good for keeping moisture in (conditioner and oils etc) so I assume it would work the same for keeping them out?
Makeup is definitely something you just have to keep at and find your style although I would say keeping it light and focusing on prepping your skin and getting that looking amazing is key, or at least that’s what I’ve found
I tried so so hard for years with brows and now I just leave it to the professionals, I get HD brows done - on their site you can find a stylist near you (I’d say go for the top level which is an elite stylist as it costs the same and they’re at a better level) they’re specially trained to style, wax, thread, pluck and tint and also teach you how to apply makeup to your eyebrows to make them look exactly how you want them - I know a few stylists up north I could recommend to you if you want to PM me :)

clothes wise, getting a personal stylist can be pricey but also affordable I think it’s very much you pay for what you get sort of thing. Tbh I love pintrest for outfits, it’s really helped me with styling myself, I pin different pictures to my outfit board and see what sort of staples I should be looking to get / outfits I should try
Thank you for this! I am determined to spend more time on myself. My little boy has amazing sense of style! His outfits are amazing! He has the most stunning curly hair & just looks pretty awesome 100% of the time. Obviously I spend a lot of time & money to make him look this way. I have lost myself a bit.
I am in the south west but I will have a look x

Oh that’s odd, but Leeds / the area surrounding I’ll be able to help you out with 🥰!

Agreed! Took me 3 goes to find the right girl but she’s literally a MIRACLE worker!!!
I’m in the south west. I will have a look on the website x

Reactions: 2
I’ve heard loads of people raving about dressing gown belt curls - tutorials where you curl your hair using your dressing gown cord, watched one last night and it seems really easy (I have thick straight hair - nothing works), going to give it a try xx

ps loving this thread!! X

I tried to PM you too but it won’t let me! I’ve changed some settings, maybe try now? I hope it works! If not, can someone offer some tech advice? I’m useless at this 😂 xx

I tried to PM you too but it won’t let me! I’ve changed some settings, maybe try now? I hope it works! If not, can someone offer some tech advice? I’m useless at this 😂 xx
I can’t seem to work it out!!!! Can you maybe advise if some good youtubers? Something really basic to start! X

The less makeup the better...at least face makeup. I have stopped wearing foundation and just do concealer under my eyes and any red areas and wheew my skin looks much better. Still do eye makeup, and a bit of blush and bronzer but it doesn't look cakey. I like to see my pores - I know some people love the blurred pore/filter look but I can't stand that.

I can’t seem to work it out!!!! Can you maybe advise if some good youtubers? Something really basic to start! X
Here are some videos I recommend:

https://youtu.be/zcSCliIFxK8

But the gist of it -
1. Pick a contour shade that suits you (if you’re fairer, a good choice is benefit hoola, but also the nyx contour sticks and the revolution ones. I find the Fenty beauty contour sticks very easy to use too
2. Find a lighter concealer shade (the revolution ones are the best I’ve tried and extremely affordable)
3. Google “contour face map” and it tells you the areas you want to contour and the areas you want to highlight, to give you the look you want. The common areas for contour are right under your cheekbones, forehead, nose
4. Do small lines around your face and copy the maps. Don’t be too heavy handed with the contour, but don’t go too lightly (I made this mistake for a while because I was scared it would look bad, but you couldn’t even tell I had it on! 😂)
5. Blender the highlighted parts. I usually do this with a beauty blender so I can really get into the corners of my under eyes. Make sure you set this with a good powder (the Laura mercier one is fab, a cheaper alternative is maybelline fit me powder)
6. You can blend out the contour with a beauty blender, but if you google “real techniques sculpting brush” (this is the one I use), it’s angled and really great for blending out contour, use a smaller brush for nose contour. You can also try the real techniques setting brush if you are using powder contour, which is really good too
7. When you blend the contour under your cheekbones, make sure you blend upwards, and NOT down. Blend slowly and buff it out
8. Once you’ve done this, add some highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, near your temples and add some blusher either to the apples of your cheeks or just above where you put the contour for a more lifted look
9. When you’ve done all this, admire how beautiful you look :)

(If you have any questions or anything let me know and good luck! Practice really is key), sorry it’s so hard to explain over text, but watch the YouTube videos, they’ll be your best bet!

Sorry that was really long! I wish I could PM you all that but yeah 😂🙈♥

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Regular face exfoliation with a cloth, fake tan serum drops and unholy amounts of face balm with all natural ingredients :)

The fake tan evens out my skin tone so nicely I don't use foundation

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Here are some videos I recommend:

https://youtu.be/zcSCliIFxK8

But the gist of it -
1. Pick a contour shade that suits you (if you’re fairer, a good choice is benefit hoola, but also the nyx contour sticks and the revolution ones. I find the Fenty beauty contour sticks very easy to use too
2. Find a lighter concealer shade (the revolution ones are the best I’ve tried and extremely affordable)
3. Google “contour face map” and it tells you the areas you want to contour and the areas you want to highlight, to give you the look you want. The common areas for contour are right under your cheekbones, forehead, nose
4. Do small lines around your face and copy the maps. Don’t be too heavy handed with the contour, but don’t go too lightly (I made this mistake for a while because I was scared it would look bad, but you couldn’t even tell I had it on! 😂)
5. Blender the highlighted parts. I usually do this with a beauty blender so I can really get into the corners of my under eyes. Make sure you set this with a good powder (the Laura mercier one is fab, a cheaper alternative is maybelline fit me powder)
6. You can blend out the contour with a beauty blender, but if you google “real techniques sculpting brush” (this is the one I use), it’s angled and really great for blending out contour, use a smaller brush for nose contour. You can also try the real techniques setting brush if you are using powder contour, which is really good too
7. When you blend the contour under your cheekbones, make sure you blend upwards, and NOT down. Blend slowly and buff it out
8. Once you’ve done this, add some highlighter to the tops of your cheekbones, near your temples and add some blusher either to the apples of your cheeks or just above where you put the contour for a more lifted look
9. When you’ve done all this, admire how beautiful you look :)

(If you have any questions or anything let me know and good luck! Practice really is key), sorry it’s so hard to explain over text, but watch the YouTube videos, they’ll be your best bet!

Sorry that was really long! I wish I could PM you all that but yeah 😂🙈♥
Thank you so much!! I am going to have some ‘me time’ when the baby is in bed this evening to try it :) x

• Heart
I’ve heard loads of people raving about dressing gown belt curls - tutorials where you curl your hair using your dressing gown cord, watched one last night and it seems really easy (I have thick straight hair - nothing works), going to give it a try xx

ps loving this thread!! X
I’m rubbish curling my hair, did the dressing gown thing and it worked really well!!will deffo do it again, perhaps next time I’d use an old pair of tights because the dressing gown cord was long so a little fiddly at the end. But heat free nice easy curls, love it!

• Heart
I’m rubbish curling my hair, did the dressing gown thing and it worked really well!!will deffo do it again, perhaps next time I’d use an old pair of tights because the dressing gown cord was long so a little fiddly at the end. But heat free nice easy curls, love it!
thanks for the tip I’ll try it with tights!! X

I’ll pop into town, either sit in Costa with a wrap and cold flavoured iced tea, or go to Starbucks for a big iced coffee :love: I really enjoy sitting in a coffee shop myself, it’s one of the things I miss most pre-covid

I’ll then go to Superdrug or Savers to pick up fake tan, micellar water etc. I’ll get my nails done, which is so therapeutic! Primark is my next stop to stock up on comfy pyjamas, jewellery and accessories. I’ll go into Zara or River Island, to treat myself to a “staple” item of clothing. Usually something I’ve admired for months, but debated splurging on. I love buying tailored blazers, coats, leather trousers and nice handbags.

On my last “date” I got acrylic nails for the first time in ages (not allowed nails for work). I treated myself to loads of gold jewellery from Primark, a blazer and bodysuit from Zara, then got a Starbucks.

I love to tint my own eyebrows. I buy developer and tint from Salon Services (about £8). I love any type of face mask, ordinary skincare or bath goodies! My favourite days are when I’m organised with housework, able to go a walk and make some really good food.

• Heart
Reactions: 24