What are your favourite things about/from the UK?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Pret's porridge is amazing.

This is quite crude...but I think it is hilarious that it is quite acceptable for the word "bleep" to be said amongst friends in the UK, especially Scotland. Here in Canada, if you said it, you'd get punched. Lol.
CuntyMcCuntface is my fave when I can't remember someone's name 🀣

• Haha
Reactions: 3
This thread is great! My partner and I are from the midlands originally but we have lived in Sydney for almost 8 years now. We miss home a lot and we are hoping to come back at the end of 2020 - let's see if we can manage it with Covid : (

We often talk about what we miss from home:

The weather - I never in a million years thought i'd say this but I am now so sick of the intense Sydney summers. I just want normal, temperate seasons
Cosy, rainy days in the house
Bonfire night (not a thing here at all!)
The weekend newspapers
The architecture and history
National Trust membership
Sport (my fella has to watch the premier league at 2 in the morning, with the time difference)
Supermarkets
Radio 4 (and the BBC in general)
The countryside
The small size of the country - Australia is so vast it takes ages to get anywhere
Brit humour, sarcasm, friendliness
The NHS
A decent curry/chinese
Culture & arts (Sydney is beautiful but there's not much going on behind the eyes, if you know what I mean)
Country pubs
Chocolate
Fish & Chips
Decent clothes shops!!
Fast internet (it is tit here)
Sky TV - tv in general

I bloody love the UK and I hope we can get home before too long

• Heart
Reactions: 8
This thread is great! My partner and I are from the midlands originally but we have lived in Sydney for almost 8 years now. We miss home a lot and we are hoping to come back at the end of 2020 - let's see if we can manage it with Covid : (

We often talk about what we miss from home:

The weather - I never in a million years thought i'd say this but I am now so sick of the intense Sydney summers. I just want normal, temperate seasons
Cosy, rainy days in the house
Bonfire night (not a thing here at all!)
The weekend newspapers
The architecture and history
National Trust membership
Sport (my fella has to watch the premier league at 2 in the morning, with the time difference)
Supermarkets
Radio 4 (and the BBC in general)
The countryside
The small size of the country - Australia is so vast it takes ages to get anywhere
Brit humour, sarcasm, friendliness
The NHS
A decent curry/chinese
Culture & arts (Sydney is beautiful but there's not much going on behind the eyes, if you know what I mean)
Country pubs
Chocolate
Fish & Chips
Decent clothes shops!!
Fast internet (it is tit here)
Sky TV - tv in general

I bloody love the UK and I hope we can get home before too long
Supermarkets? What is it like instead? Hope you do manage to get back.

Supermarkets? What is it like instead? Hope you do manage to get back.
I should have clarified that I just miss British supermarkets in general. There are 'normal' supermarkets here, but not as much choice. There's a duopoly with just 2 major supermarket chains. You also can't buy alcohol in a supermarket here, you have to go to a dedicated off-license which is called a bottle shop here in oz.

We miss the giant tesco superstores where you can find everything under one roof, and also waitrose and M&S for treats and quality produce.

Reactions: 5
I'm from Scotland and lived in Spain for 2 years when I was younger.

Cold weather
NHS
Irn Bru - I know you can get this in other countries but tends to be hard to find and expensive
Driving in the UK - I'm far too scared to drive on the other side of the road πŸ˜…
Love Island - Not even sorry it's my guilty pleasure
The beaches and scenery in Scotland

Reactions: 2
I should have clarified that I just miss British supermarkets in general. There are 'normal' supermarkets here, but not as much choice. There's a duopoly with just 2 major supermarket chains. You also can't buy alcohol in a supermarket here, you have to go to a dedicated off-license which is called a bottle shop here in oz.

We miss the giant tesco superstores where you can find everything under one roof, and also waitrose and M&S for treats and quality produce.
I miss the drive through bottle shops in Australia. I loved those πŸ˜†

Ah, gotcha. Yes, I love a mooch around clothes, home stuff and snacks all in the same pace πŸ‘Œ

Reactions: 1
I'm from Scotland but now live in Spain.

I miss the people and the humour the most don't get the same banter with people here
Chinese food and Chippys

• Heart
Chip shop chips and mushy peas (extra vinegar as someone said).
Gardeners' World.
The fact that everyone hates the government all the time.
How green it is even in Summer.
The rain.
People being uptight.
Seasons changing just as you're ready for the next one.
Relatively free healthcare.

- Cheering in a pub when a glass gets smashed by accident πŸ˜‚
This just gave me an embarrassing level of national pride.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Cornwall
Cream teas/ afternoon tea- clotted cream is life!
The countryside
The coast
The Royal family esp when big events with them are broadcast on tv
Christmas time
Pub lunches and beer gardens
Fish and chips
The Peak District
Proper pottery (I’m from Stoke on Trent!)
Dry sense of humour
The National Trust
Marks and Spencer
The NHS πŸ’™

I love πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ !!!!!

Reactions: 4
Chip shop chips and mushy peas (extra vinegar as someone said).
Gardeners' World.
The fact that everyone hates the government all the time.
How green it is even in Summer.
The rain.
People being uptight.
Seasons changing just as you're ready for the next one.
Relatively free healthcare.

This just gave me an embarrassing level of national pride.
I forgot to include Fish & Chips on mine - I once mentioned that I was really missing F&C so my friend was like 'oh I know a place they do the best fish and chips, you'll love it!' so I was pretty excited. We got there and it was a plastic basket (a la chicken in a basket, whatever happened to that btw :ROFLMAO:) with a piece of battered fish like the frozen Birdseye ones served with fries and tartare sauce. No vinegar available just the usual salt/ketchup etc they have in the USA. I was so disappointed!

The glass smashing thing was actually a pivotal moment in me realising I wanted to move back to the UK, I've always had a bit of an identity crisis as I was born in the US, but was in a bar one afternoon and the girl serving smashed a pint glass and everyone just carried on as normal/were alarmed by the noise. It was like an epiphany of 'that's it, I need to go back ASAP!!!!!!' πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Cornwall
The countryside
The coast
Christmas time
Fish and chips
The Peak District
Dry sense of humour
The National Trust
Marks and Spencer
The NHS πŸ’™

I love πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ !!!!!
Cornwall
The countryside
The coast
Christmas time
Fish and chips
The Peak District
Dry sense of humour
The National Trust
Marks and Spencer
The NHS πŸ’™

I love πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ !!!!!
Oooh this are great! Kicking myself now that I forgot Cornwall, Peak District and pottery. Oh - and oatcakes! My OH is also from Stoke originally so every time we go back to visit we have oatcakes for brekkie.

• Heart
Oooh this are great! Kicking myself now that I forgot Cornwall, Peak District and pottery. Oh - and oatcakes! My OH is also from Stoke originally so every time we go back to visit we have oatcakes for brekkie.
Awww Oatcakes are AMAZING! Esp with bacon and cheese or sausage and cheese! Does he turn crockery over and look at where they are made?!! Haha. Most people from Stoke do this!always makes me laugh! πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°xx

Awww Oatcakes are AMAZING! Esp with bacon and cheese or sausage and cheese! Does he turn crockery over and look at where they are made?!! Haha. Most people from Stoke do this!always makes me laugh! πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°xx
haha yes he does! And I do it too now! Oatcakes are so good. He’s actually perfected a homemade recipe so we have them pretty regularly even though no one in Sydney has even heard of them x

• Heart
haha yes he does! And I do it too now! Oatcakes are so good. He’s actually perfected a homemade recipe so we have them pretty regularly even though no one in Sydney has even heard of them x
LOVE it! πŸ™ŒπŸ½πŸ™ŒπŸ½ That’s really made me smile!! Xxxx πŸ₯°πŸ₯°πŸ₯°

I used to live abroad and the thing I disliked the most was the old fashioned expectations of women! In the UK no one cares if women are at the pub smashing pints πŸ˜…