What are your favourite things about/from the UK?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
- english tea
- the dark humour that others don’t understand
- even though the weather is usually tit it’s nice to have both hot and cold temperatures, not just the same weather daily
- NHS 💗
- roast dinner
- fish and chips
- the fact we can drink water from a tap!!
- free prescriptions for me! As I have a long-term illness
- galaxy and Cadbury chocolate
- accepting country, here everyone is welcome :)

Reactions: 7
I lived in a different country for awhile and the things I missed the most -

The tea

The people and how quiet and reserved we are. I lived in the USA. That probably explains a lot!

Sausage rolls

British telly

Our dry sense of humour. When Americans try and emulate our humour they follow up with ‘that was sarcasm by the way, I was being sarcastic 😉’ sort of defeats the object. Us Brits are only truly understood by eachother.

Squash - not a thing in the US

The self deprication and humility

Roast dinners

How small and compact everything is. For some irrational reason though it annoys me when anyone who isn’t British comments on that - ‘oh everything is so small and quaint, it’s so cute’ - shut up.

Reactions: 6
This is going to sound stupid as I now live in Australia but I miss the beaches!!! I miss not worrying about being ripped out to sea/ stung by something poisonous/ eaten by a croc (in the far north). Give me a beach in Cornwall or Pembrokeshire any day.

Reactions: 7
I lived in a different country for awhile and the things I missed the most -

The tea

The people and how quiet and reserved we are. I lived in the USA. That probably explains a lot!

Sausage rolls

British telly

Our dry sense of humour. When Americans try and emulate our humour they follow up with ‘that was sarcasm by the way, I was being sarcastic 😉’ sort of defeats the object. Us Brits are only truly understood by eachother.

Squash - not a thing in the US

The self deprication and humility

Roast dinners

How small and compact everything is. For some irrational reason though it annoys me when anyone who isn’t British comments on that - ‘oh everything is so small and quaint, it’s so cute’ - shut up.
Wait, what... how is squash not a thing? How? Is everything pre-mixed? So many questions.

Reactions: 2
Wait, what... how is squash not a thing? How? Is everything pre-mixed? So many questions.
They don’t have pre mixed squash. They basically just have pop (fizzy drinks), fruit juice, ice tea and things like Gatorade. And water of course. But it’s all just so sweet and strong!

• Wow
I live in France, so could pop back regularly pre Covid.

now I miss:
decent bacon &sausages
tea bags
jelly
sunday papers (in English)
the pub
Chinese & Indian takeaway

The scenery, I'm lucky enough to live right by this and get to walk it every day
FB_IMG_1596101800917.jpg

The humour, love sarcastic humour
Our architecture, especially the old castles
Our pomp and ceremony
Our friendliness
The chocolate
How accessible the majority of the country is in a relatively short space of time. When I was in Australia you'd travel for over 2 hours just to get to a service station.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm over on the other side of Europe but have been moving around for a bit for a while now. Probably (Covid depending) off to Bangkok for a few years soon.

I miss:
- The people, bit of small talk in a bar/shop. People will usually try to help you if you ask them for assistance (directions, opening hours...nothing big!)
- The sheer variety of food and culture. I was lucky enough to spend a week in Brixton before the pandemic hit this winter and had an absolute blast.
- Marked countryside walks, the countryside in my current country is arguably far more dramatic and beautiful than the UK but there are no marked walks so hiking in the countryside is a lot more of a risk and commitment...plus you've got to watch out for boar/bears!
- The weather, it's never so extreme in the uk. Now I'm sat in 40 degree heat, back in January...-25! I miss just needing a light jacket 😂
- Familiarity, I generally "get" the culture and customs

What I don't miss:

- The weather! Endless grey.
- The cost of living
- Trains delays
- Brexity people

Reactions: 4
They don’t have pre mixed squash. They basically just have pop (fizzy drinks), fruit juice, ice tea and things like Gatorade. And water of course. But it’s all just so sweet and strong!
Poor Americans. First tea, now this. 😱

I lived in Dubai for 8 years & moving back before the end of the year. Definitely missed alcohol in restaurants, traditional bakeries and butchers, pork sausages & bacon (beef bacon is rank), countryside/farms/fields, rain :ROFLMAO:. Also, just doing stuff for yourself. In the UAE everything is done for you. Putting petrol in your car, packing your food shopping, valet parking, it's just so lazy.

Reactions: 3
When I lived in the US, I really missed:

the chocolate. This was before Cadbury’s was bought out and turned into palm fat crap, though.

The carbs! American carbs are great, but I found myself really homesick for proper chippy chips or roast potatoes. Admittedly I could have made the latter myself but I just really wanted my mum’s, mine aren’t as good 😂

The radio. American radio stations are mostly tit, the main network of internet radio (forgot its name) has super specific channels, and sometimes I just really missed stuff for background noise, like Magic FM (don’t laugh!!)

British TV. Way less commercials (and they’re not half as annoying listing every major side effect of medications), news anchors and presenters who look more like normal people and not robots created in a factory.

The post coming through my door! This sounds so stupid and so random, but the post actually being delivered through my front door is so convenient, I constantly used to forget to check my postbox. It’s weirdly difficult to get your head around it if you didn’t grow up that way!

Reactions: 8
It’s the little things we would miss about our amazing kingdom!! I am so proud to be a Brit 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Love this thread! So many things...
The rules! And the fact that people follow the rules! From queuing to driving to filling out applications- there's a system in place for everything, everyone follows the system and it all works, which you don't realise until you've left.
Spring time.
Regent's park! And all the stunning parks dotted all over the place.
Early morning runners at 5/6am before starting their work day- I just don't see them in such large numbers anywhere else.
Pret porridge!
Cream tea in the countryside.
Proper television :LOL:
Waterstones and Foyles
The West End and theatre in general, including Fringe plays
Buskers
Museums and art galleries
I'm sure I have loads more that will come to me. :love:
Pret's porridge is amazing.

This is quite crude...but I think it is hilarious that it is quite acceptable for the word "bleep" to be said amongst friends in the UK, especially Scotland. Here in Canada, if you said it, you'd get punched. Lol.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 5