What are your favourite things about/from the UK?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I used to live abroad and the thing I disliked the most was the old fashioned expectations of women! In the UK no one cares if women are at the pub smashing pints 😅
My mum is quite old fashioned and I think she is secretly horrified that I always drink pints when I go out, thing is if I have anything else I’ll drink it just as quickly as if I had a pint of it so I just never ends well 😂

Reactions: 1
When bus drivers wave at each other from opposite sides of the road as they go past 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Jacket potatoes 😂 when I lived in France and Germany it was the food I missed the most. I didn’t have an oven so couldn’t make myself one 😭 I also missed being able to express myself fully. I can speak French and German but it’s not the same as in English and any witty comments that might have popped into my head I couldn’t always get out quick enough so it felt isolating to an extent.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
OMG I could write a book on what I miss.....hubby goes mad because these things are so insignificant compared to the benefits of living here.

Marks and Spencer's food
Curry
Next
Decent Dept. store
Greggs
Boots
Pubs
Sunday Roasts
Central heating
Nice sandwich shops
Nice bread at an affordable price
Lurpak
Good bacon, sausages, pate
Cheese that doesn't come shrink wrapped
The NHS
Public transport
Easy access to Europe

🤣🤣🤣

I live in the US and the things I miss the most currently are:
-M&S (sandwiches and jeans.. weird I know)
-people being more casual/friendly than they are in my city here… it’s just more down to earth where I’m from
-decent public transport

Having lived out of the UK for a while now, the only things I miss are:
- Salad Cream
- Aldi
- British Fish and Chips
- The countryside
- Yorkshire accent

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Been living outside the UK for four years and I miss:

Nandos
M&S food
The many different types of crisps
TfL
British customer service
Pub quiz
Wetherspoons
Bluewater
Westfield in Stratford and White City
Canary Wharf
My cat 😢
My friends 😢
Inexpensive but delicious and plentiful Indian food
Fish & chips

been out of the UK for 5+ years now and the things I miss the most are:
- toasted tea cakes/hot cross buns/crumpets
- a good cup of tea
- Northern people 💛
- how fast and easy it is to get administrative things done / sorted
- how happy everyone is when the sun is shining / the World Cup is on
- going into a bar and just listening to bangers 😅

been out of the UK for 5+ years now and the things I miss the most are:
- toasted tea cakes/hot cross buns/crumpets
- a good cup of tea
- Northern people 💛
- how fast and easy it is to get administrative things done / sorted
- how happy everyone is when the sun is shining / the World Cup is on
- going into a bar and just listening to bangers 😅
YES!! This is SO important and should have been at the top of my list.

UK-style efficiency doesn’t apply everywhere, even in the two other Western European countries I’ve lived in.

Reactions: 2
YES!! This is SO important and should have been at the top of my list.

UK-style efficiency doesn’t apply everywhere, even in the two other Western European countries I’ve lived in.
yesss i live in the uk now and as much as i hate lots of things, like the weather, this is something i really appreicate and will never take for granted again

Reactions: 2
Been living outside the UK for four years and I miss:

Nandos
M&S food
The many different types of crisps
TfL
British customer service
Pub quiz
Wetherspoons
Bluewater
Westfield in Stratford and White City
Canary Wharf
My cat 😢
My friends 😢
Inexpensive but delicious and plentiful Indian food
Fish & chips
blimey you must live somewhere with horrific public transport if you wistfully miss TFL 😉 🤣

blimey you must live somewhere with horrific public transport if you wistfully miss TFL 😉 🤣
TFL is amazing for the amount of space it covers and how frequently the tube comes, it is just insanely expensive, if you want to see a bad transport network go and live in Rome where buses are so old they regularly catch fire :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow
Still get homesick after 14 years in NZ.... I miss:
Marks and Spencers
Decent clothes shops
Cheese from a deli counter - not shrink wrapped Mild or Tasty cheese!
Nice crisps
Pubs
Indian food. Never found a place in the whole country that can make a decent curry
Being able to walk in the countryside
Book shops
Boots the Chemist
Sandwich shops
Christmastime
I've been in NZ 15 years now and yeah I still miss English Christmases! I almost don't bother with Christmas now because it just feels like any other summer day, bbq and drinking lol. I'm going to start making more of an effort now since i had a baby this year but it will nevet be the same atmosphere and excitement as England (the main thing is obviously the weather difference lol which can't be helped!)

TFL is amazing for the amount of space it covers and how frequently the tube comes, it is just insanely expensive, if you want to see a bad transport network go and live in Rome where buses are so old they regularly catch fire :ROFLMAO:
TFL tube wise is great but TFL (now elizabeth line) is dire especially now every train is an all stopper !
I feel your pain re Italy public transport ..ive heard about the buses from my MIL and Last time i was in Rome (2019) a huge part of their underground was out of service (very annoying as the line in question was the one we needed to use to get to a relatives house) ! it was kind of the equivalent of central line from epping to Liv st being out of service. we had to get a taxi which thankfully wasnt to horific cost wise!
one thing we did note was that they ddont allow Uber there

The rain.
Oxford street christmas lights.
Mince pies.
M&S- my favourite shop besides ikea. I get all my clothing, towels, odd bits from them.

I've been in NZ 15 years now and yeah I still miss English Christmases! I almost don't bother with Christmas now because it just feels like any other summer day, bbq and drinking lol. I'm going to start making more of an effort now since i had a baby this year but it will nevet be the same atmosphere and excitement as England (the main thing is obviously the weather difference lol which can't be helped!)
OMG me too......

Yes I get a bit sentimental around Christmastime......but found myself wondering last year if I should even bother with the tree/decorations etc.
Don't worry I have no "littlies" or grandies at my house. so not being the Grinch that stole Christmas lol.