What are your favourite things about/from the UK?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Such a nice thread ☺

When I lived in Australia I missed the history of England and the oldness of places. Not visiting cute villages or beautiful national trust properties.

Also banter. Aussies have no craic at all😂

Roast dinners, proper pub food, yes Greggs 😂, the Queen. BBC news. So many things!

Reactions: 2
Countryside and the greenery
Fish and chips
Aldi
Everything is walking distance
Primark

Our culture, especially pop music, fashion, art.
Sense of humour.
The beauty of our countryside and coast.
Fish and chips.
Rain and cosy days indoors.
Accents.
On the whole people are well-mannered and polite. We queue for things and tut at others.
Being able to visit so many interesting historical places (eventually).
Ooh, fish and chips is a good one. And I love chips and gravy or with curry sauce.
Also, not sure if this is just a Scottish thing but I love a macaroni pie.

I miss the UK so much.. completely understand how you are feeling. I’m in the Middle East and the thought of not being able to travel back home for another few months at least (if at all this year) is depressing!

I miss the landscapes, the weather - especially the rain! Haha but also super jealous of the beautiful weather right now! I miss the architecture, people who have manners and respect... queuing!! The TV shows, British humour, all the supermarkets (food is ridiculously over priced here and terrible quality) Pret A Manger and Café Nero!
It was raining here the past few days and I really enjoyed it as it reminded me of the UK. It doesn't rain often where I am

Oh my God. Can't believe I forgot this one...i miss Marks and Spencer! Especially Percy Pigs, Collin Caterpillars and they do these salt and vinegar twist crisps that are AMAZING. Also miss any of their desserts.
I also miss Next. Love their fragrances and candles. Cheap but nice.
I miss good indian restaurants, here in Canada, Indian restaurants are mostly tit. We found one which is ran by Scottish Indian people but it took us about 2 years to find.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Probably non popular opinion but I love people's attitude. Everyone minds their own business on the tube and trains but you can have a lil chat if you want. Generally people mind their own business and keep their opinions to themselves but boy do they love a good gossip!!

Also I live in England and love it!

Ooh, fish and chips is a good one. And I love chips and gravy or with curry sauce.
Also, not sure if this is just a Scottish thing but I love a macaroni pie.

It was raining here the past few days and I really enjoyed it as it reminded me of the UK. It doesn't rain often where I am

Oh my God. Can't believe I forgot this one...i miss Marks and Spencer! Especially Percy Pigs, Collin Caterpillars and they do these salt and vinegar twist crisps that are AMAZING. Also miss any of their desserts.
I also miss Next. Love their fragrances and candles. Cheap but nice.
I miss good indian restaurants, here in Canada, Indian restaurants are mostly tit. We found one which is ran by Scottish Indian people but it took us about 2 years to find.

Oooh what's a macaroni pie? I've never tried it. Guessing the clue is in the same that it's a pie made of macaroni pasta? Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I also live abroad:
1. just the fact that everything is in English.
2.Macaroni in cheese in a can .
3.The rain.
4.Salt & vinegar crisps + prawn cocktail crisps
5.Free evening standard newspaper

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I also live abroad:
1. just the fact that everything is in English.
2.Macaroni in cheese in a can .
3.The rain.
4.Salt & vinegar crisps + prawn cocktail crisps
5.Free evening standard newspaper
I love your first one! Couldn’t agree more, Dutch will be the end of me 😂

The seaside, the Queen, museums, fish and chips, roast dinners, birdsong, the weather, BBC and Channel 4, the tube, fashion ... there is so much ...

Still get homesick after 14 years in NZ.... I miss:
Marks and Spencers
Decent clothes shops
Cheese from a deli counter - not shrink wrapped Mild or Tasty cheese!
Nice crisps
Pubs
Indian food. Never found a place in the whole country that can make a decent curry
Being able to walk in the countryside
Book shops
Boots the Chemist
Sandwich shops
Christmastime

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Marks and Spencers
Decent clothes shops
Nice crisps
Pubs
Indian food. Never found a place in the whole country that can make a decent curry
Book shops
Boots the Chemist
Sandwich shops
Christmastime
Oh my god, yes to Christmas 😍

Marks and Spencers
Decent clothes shops
Nice crisps
Pubs
Book shops
Boots the Chemist
Sandwich shops
Christmastime
I visited NZ last year and found the countryside there the most beautiful I’d ever seen.

1. Sandwich meal deals (chicken and bacon sandwich, prawn cocktail crisps (or a sausage roll if it’s from co op as thats classed as the snack) and Coke Zero is my winning combo)
2. Chips from a chip shop
3. The humour
4. The answer to every situation is either let’s have a cup of tea or let’s have a pint

Being able to have a laugh and joke with most people and taking the p***, without any offence taken.

Cornish pastys, meat pies!!

Reactions: 3
Walkers crisps
Someone coming from 30 mins up the road and having a fully different accent.
Rainbows (I don’t believe other countries get them 😂)
Getting a pic a mix at the corner shop
Thanking the bus driver, doesn’t seem to happen in other countries but maybe I’m wrong.
Tv- uk has banging tv!
The dry dry sense of humour.
The seaside amusement and penny fall machines. Pubs...we do pubs SO well. AND pub gardens, god I miss pubs and pub gardens!

Marks and Spencers
Decent clothes shops
Nice crisps
Pubs
Book shops
Boots the Chemist
Sandwich shops
Christmastime
Your comment about decent clothes made me chuckle ...i worked with a kiwi girl about 25 years ago who loved clothes in UK as she said clothes in NZ were ugly ! obviously havent changed 🤣

Reactions: 1
I visited NZ last year and found the countryside there the most beautiful I’d ever seen.
It is beautiful, but apart from beaches and access to National Parks you cannot walk across fields without a farmers permission

It is beautiful, but apart from beaches and access to National Parks you cannot walk across fields without a farmers permission
Ah yes that makes sense, I grew up in the Yorkshire dales so I completely understand!

Reactions: 1
NHS
Public transport
Ridiculous variety of take away offerings
Pubs
Pound stores
Primark
Amazon prime same/ next day delivery
'Food of the world' isles in most grocery stores
Costa
Museums and galleries
Affordable live music and comedy talent on your doorstep
Gin in a can
Cashback
I could go on and on. UK is great, London is my favourite place in the world.

The weather (seasons)
Music scene
Marks and Spencer Food
Bond Street
Regents Park
History/Landmarks
Afternoon Tea
Pub grub
Festivals
The Royal Family pomp and ceremony (love them or hate them)

Reactions: 5