What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Many years ago my mother in law gave her daughter for her 21st birthday....... wait for it.......an ironing board!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
My Mum once gave me 2 boxes of Aldi's own brand laundry tablets and a packet of those assorted colours/different lengths shoe and boot laces - all wrapped up nicely for Christmas!

And on my 21st, she gave me a plant and announced 'that's the last birthday present you'll get, I don't do birthdays after 21, you'll get a card and that's it'.

• Wow
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
My Mum once gave me 2 boxes of Aldi's own brand laundry tablets and a packet of those assorted colours/different lengths shoe and boot laces - all wrapped up nicely for Christmas!

And on my 21st, she gave me a plant and announced 'that's the last birthday present you'll get, I don't do birthdays after 21, you'll get a card and that's it'.
She sounds fun😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
My in-laws are tit at pressies, I have had a number of cheap perfumes (that smells of old ladies), fleeces with foxes or dogs on, hideous enamel jewellery, poker work trinket cases ect. This birthday (in lockdown both in-laws shielding) was ok mil sent me a cheque for £10 and fil sent me a £20 pound note - so I got £30 to get somthing I really wanted!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
When I was 13, I was gifted a hideous rainbow coloured jumper by my aunt. Never ever forgot it, even 11 years later! Even worse, my parents made me wear it when we next met up with my aunt. Imagine the thickest turtle neck jumper in a multitude of bright colours. My birthday was in bloody August too and it was boiling!

Also, received a digital weight scale for Christmas a few years ago!? The justification behind that was that I'm too skinny and need to put on weight. Its still sitting in the garage unopened.

Other than that, I'm quite lucky with presents and I make sure to give my sister/mum a list so if anyone asks, she can point them in the right direction ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 6
When I was 13, I was gifted a hideous rainbow coloured jumper by my aunt. Never ever forgot it, even 11 years later! Even worse, my parents made me wear it when we next met up with my aunt. Imagine the thickest turtle neck jumper in a multitude of bright colours. My birthday was in bloody August too and it was boiling!
My grandma knitted me somthing along those lines, I thought I'd seen the last of it when I grew and it became too short for me. No the width was still ok so my grandma had it back, unpicked the bottom and added more stripes!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I had a Shreddies Nana. All my childhood pictures I am in the same awful rainbow numbers as described. She would go all out there with the knitting patterns sometimes, I remember my My Little Pony and Daffy Duck ones more fondly than the stripey tit she probably done just to get rid of excess wool 🤣

• Haha
At least your grandmothers' cared, to take the time and trouble to knit. My grandmother didn't know how to knit.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My mum once made me a goody bag and put pink lady apples in it - to make sure I had some goodness 😂
The best present I’ve ever got is a vibrator off my husband 😂😂

• Haha
Did you have the matching my little pony jumper with the skirt? My Nan is a knitter too! I loved it when I was young as people always made a fuss of my clothes haha, my highlights were the my little pony 2 piece, a scotty dog two piece and a Care Bears jumper with matching knitted care bear stuffed toy!

I had a Shreddies Nana. All my childhood pictures I am in the same awful rainbow numbers as described. She would go all out there with the knitting patterns sometimes, I remember my My Little Pony and Daffy Duck ones more fondly than the stripey tit she probably done just to get rid of excess wool 🤣

Reactions: 3
Did you have the matching my little pony jumper with the skirt? My Nan is a knitter too! I loved it when I was young as people always made a fuss of my clothes haha, my highlights were the my little pony 2 piece, a scotty dog two piece and a Care Bears jumper with matching knitted care bear stuffed toy!
I do vaguely remember it having a skirt, but it was baby blue with a yellow, more retro my little pony on (what exactly has been done to MLP they dont even resemble the original thing in the slightest. I also had a scotty dog two piece. She had stacks of knitting magazines.

She deffo had a favourite grandchild though, relating to tit gifts I remember being distraught at about 5 or 6 years old and throwing a massive tantrum because we would celebrate Christmas there as an entire family on boxing day and one year as well as the customary knitwear, I got a cheap, plastic fishing game... where as my cousin, a year older got a brand new vintage style pushchair with a porcelain dolly with knitted clothes and blanket. I was really upset!

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I do vaguely remember it having a skirt, but it was baby blue with a yellow, more retro my little pony on (what exactly has been done to MLP they dont even resemble the original thing in the slightest. I also had a scotty dog two piece. She had stacks of knitting magazines.

She deffo had a favourite grandchild though, relating to tit gifts I remember being distraught at about 5 or 6 years old and throwing a massive tantrum because we would celebrate Christmas there as an entire family on boxing day and one year as well as the customary knitwear, I got a cheap, plastic fishing game... where as my cousin, a year older got a brand new vintage style pushchair with a porcelain dolly with knitted clothes and blanket. I was really upset!
So safe to assume that you weren't her favourite.

Both my grandmothers died long ago, but my wife's grandmothers were both alive when we got married.

Her paternal grandmother used to make a fuss over me, this used to annoy my wife.

The thing is as both my grandmothers had died I used to take the time to talk to her grandmother's, and make sure they were okay.

Reactions: 2
My in-laws are tit at pressies, I have had a number of cheap perfumes (that smells of old ladies), fleeces with foxes or dogs on, hideous enamel jewellery, poker work trinket cases ect. This birthday (in lockdown both in-laws shielding) was ok mil sent me a cheque for £10 and fil sent me a £20 pound note - so I got £30 to get somthing I really wanted!
I think I had some kind of mental breakdown in lockdown and bought glow in the dark wolf howling at the moon t-shirts to wear 'ironically'. So, those fleeces sound right up my street right about now 😂😂👍🏻

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
Aww I feel bad but I think my In Laws actually like me more than their son 😂😂

They always get him bad fitting Jeans, a jumper/jacket that’s to small (they don’t like to admit that he’s quite stocky because of his job), socks or underwear. Sometimes all 4! 🤣
I get exactly what I like, fluffy socks (I got 19 pairs last year - it was amazing 😍), Primark PJ’s or a nice jumper or hoody.
A few years ago, his parents asked him what he wanted. He said he’d like a small-ish TV for our bedroom. He got underwear and socks. His brother got a fancy TV for his bedroom 🤣🤣 That year his Mum got me a long coat that was stuffed with duck feathers, it was pretty ugly to be honest (just not my style or colour). But it’s the warmest ugly coat I have ever worn on the school run 🤣

One year a colleague from Qatar wanted to give me a gift as a thank you for being so helpful and kind (it was not long after 9/11 and he was Muslim). At first glance it was a Gucci watch...I glared at him, as he started laughing, looked at it again, said Guggi! He'd got me a fake watch from home lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I had totally blanked this one, and probably for good reason. We had been together about six months and my husband bought me a bottle of some hippy dippy spray to help with hormonal issues. For my birthday. I stupidly tried to be polite about the thought but I was gutted. Well duck being polite after that. I reminded him of that tit gift for years after. 😆

• Haha
Not so much the worst but the most inappropriate present was from a former girlfriend who sent me the wrong Christmas present a couple of years ago.

Traditionally I spend Christmas with my parents, and this particular occasion was no different. Anyway, I opened this particular present to discover it was a ..errr.... sex toy!:oops:

Stunned silence all round, along with some considerable embarrassment on my part.

Got in contact with my g/f and she too went into a panic and realised she got confused sending out my family-friendly present (a bottle of perfume) rather than my more personal present!😳

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10