What are the worst presents you've received?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Last Christmas, my mum got me a sewing kit and a pair of hideous leather gloves that looked like what my grandma would wear. I love my mum, but her taste in style is APPALLING 🙊

This year we’ve just agreed I will send her a link to something I want 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
A dictionary for Xmas one year. 🙄😂

With my birthday being in January I often get re-gifted presents, always obvious as they’re always random. I think one of my friends forgets she tells me about crap presents she’s received, as I then get them for my birthday or Christmas. I wish I had the bottle to say something, even in a jokey way!
My ex-best friend used to give me the most awful Xmas and birthday presents. I would always put in some effort for hers, but it was never reciprocated. I must say it did used to really annoy me and one year, I told her that I wasn’t going to send presents that particular year and would she respect the fact that I didn’t want to receive any either. She was a bit miffed, but grudgingly agreed. 🙄

I remember her hastily writing out my 40th birthday card. I could hear her upstairs unwrapping the card and then she shoved it into my hand. She had clearly got it from a box of cards which she kept upstairs and randomly chosen any old card. She ended up cancelling a trip to Champneys that we had booked together for my 40th, citing her cat needed to go to the vets and there was nobody there to take him, even though her daughter was due to stay and look after said cat when she would otherwise have been away to Champneys.

I don’t think she cottoned on that I could see right through her.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3

My ex-best friend used to give me the most awful Xmas and birthday presents. I would always put in some effort for hers, but it was never reciprocated. I must say it did used to really annoy me and one year, I told her that I wasn’t going to send presents that particular year and would she respect the fact that I didn’t want to receive any either. She was a bit miffed, but grudgingly agreed. 🙄

I remember her hastily writing out my 40th birthday card. I could hear her upstairs unwrapping the card and then she shoved it into my hand. She had clearly got it from a box of cards which she kept upstairs and randomly chosen any old card. She ended up cancelling a trip to Champneys that we had booked together for my 40th, citing her cat needed to go to the vets and there was nobody there to take him, even though her daughter was due to stay and look after said cat when she would otherwise have been away to Champneys.

is she still a friend?

Reactions: 4
Boyfriends mum
Worn and badly treated ankle boots (like the ugh types but knock off)
Size 26-28 pyjamas im 5ft 4 and no where near that big
Me to you bear plasters
No frills (i kid you not) writing pad
And a pack of 4 bic pens (she knew i liked writing using them)

Boyfriend
Set 6 cups from qvc (all the family claimed one as there's yep none for me)
Half green chain eBay

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4
A slightly eccentric relative once sent me and my Mum Christmas gifts - Her a book about vinegar and me a lockable diary, but with no key to open it 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 8

I had one like this. I'd always treat her for her birthday, to a ticket for a night out to a concert, or something nice she would like and we'd have a night out, supposedly my best friend. The year I was done was my 50th - I got a text message at 7.20pm saying 'happy birthday, sorry it's late, forgot'. Didn't bother after that. I don't buy to receive back, but when folks blatantly don't give a tit, I'm done.

Reactions: 15
Anything from my in-laws. Worst was a box of York Fruits for my birthday. I was suffering from gestational diabetes at the time and those things are basically all sugar with sugar on top. I was also aged 32. I think the average York Fruits consumer is aged approx 96.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
My lovely boyfriend “forgot” my birthday once so ended up getting me 2 x tubs of flying saucers and a canvas picture of 2 rabbits kissing (?) for a birthday once. We literally share a birthday.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
A couple of years ago I felt so bad for my OH. I realised at secret santa I had given away a really nice expensive jumper I bought him to a young lad that would 100% not wear it. The belt I got him for Xmas was 2 sizes too small and when he opened the very fancy slippers I got him there was only one in the box :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: That was probably the worst presents he got

• Haha
Reactions: 1
An ex got me (and his mum!) one of those three-packs of Imperial Leather bars of soap as part of our Christmas presents. Weird as duck!

• Haha
My ex boyfriend gave me a star wars colouring book, that I had already gifted his little sister, for my 21st birthday 😂

• Wow
  • Haha
I don’t know if this is ungrateful but an ex friend gave me a gift set of four impulse deodorant cans (the small ones!!!) while the other girls got makeup and nice gifts. I had to pretend I liked them.

I wear perfume everyday and shower... so I definitely don’t smell 😒 I don’t think we liked each other much anyway!!

• Wow
Both my mum and my MIL have given rubbish presents.

I got given a coaster from my mum for my 40th. Tbf we had gone out for a family meal which my dad paid for too but she came to visit on my actual birthday and made a whole big thing about this coaster which pretty much just said "Happy 40th Birthday" on it. Then to be even more insulting, she'd also got one for my husband with his name on it. My name presumably wasn't available!

One year at Christmas from the inlaws I got this really nice looking cardigan, then when I looked at it closely it was a maternity one. I wasn't pregnant. She also bought me knickers another year, we'd been living with them inbetween house moves so presumably she'd seen mine weren't in the best condition but no DIL wants their MIL to pick out their pants for them! They were all high leg ones too which I never wear (but she does)...had a lovely conversation with the woman on the refunds desk at M&S about it 🤣

Not directly MIL related but we got this hideous half naked statue thing as a wedding present from friends of my inlaws. MIL went on and on about how it must have been expensive and how we really needed to have it on show.... She commented on how amazing it was every time she visited. Then I spotted said statue in the Argos catalogue for £25, into the bin it went!

• Haha
  • Wow
A pair of pyjamas with Sloths on

I am absolutely terrified of Sloths and I don't think it was a "joke" either

• Haha
Reactions: 5