West End Gossip

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Here is the next one from Mickey Jo. This time a proper music video to celebrate his time as Jean Valjean in his local amdram version of Les Mis - he even put on some makeup.

• Sick
Reactions: 1

Here is the next one from Mickey Jo. This time a proper music video to celebrate his time as Jean Valjean in his local amdram version of Les Mis - he even put on some makeup.
He can sing, but it's not really pleasant or effortless. Definitely not something I'd pay money to hear

• Haha
Reactions: 3
He can sing, but it's not really pleasant or effortless. Definitely not something I'd pay money to hear
I beg to differ. This is am dram special, this wouldn’t wash in pro theatre.
---
The person he sings with is good, but he is a disaster
---
---
There are other resonating cavities Mickey Jo, try climbing out of your nose for 10 seconds

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 9
---
---

There are other resonating cavities Mickey Jo, try climbing out of your nose for 10 seconds
That is AWFUL 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
This is horrendous! Both of them have an ok voice but they go terribly together and both have portions of being totally off. Also what is with MJ’s mouth (particularly his upper lip and top teeth) when he sings? I couldn’t take eyes off some of the weird expressions he was pulling.

This is horrendous! Both of them have an ok voice but they go terribly together and both have portions of being totally off. Also what is with MJ’s mouth (particularly his upper lip and top teeth) when he sings? I couldn’t take eyes off some of the weird expressions he was pulling.

He also does that cringe eyes closed 'I'm really emoting' thing some do when they're trying too hard.

Reactions: 7
Anyone more knowledgeable than me got any views on the Hairspray tour cast?

I know nothing about any of them, aside from Joanne Clifton (from her time on Strictly; I know nothing of her stage career)

I know nothing about any of them, aside from Joanne Clifton (from her time on Strictly; I know nothing of her stage career)

I saw Solomon Davy as well Kenickie in Grease last year and he was really good. I think he's a fellow midlander, from Wolverhampton as far as I know.

I saw Solomon Davy as well Kenickie in Grease last year and he was really good. I think he's a fellow midlander, from Wolverhampton as far as I know.
That’s good to hear - I’m always a little bit wary about casts where I’m not familiar with any of them

I saw a Hairspray tour around 2017, it was the worst show I had ever seen. I normally love Hairspray and had seen the Westend version before. I hope this tour is far better. Nice to see some newer names getting a chance.

• Wow
I loved the original production but I don't know why they've cheapened it even more with such a scaled back production. The original wasn't exactly extravagant.

It's a great musical but I don't think the recent touring productions do it justice

• Sad
Oh no!!!! Hope this tour is ok!!! 😱😱😱
I loved the original on the Westend, this felt so amdram or like a school production (no hate to the performers, it must have been the choices made). I just remember us all turning and looking at each other. I’ve never felt a show drag so much for me and yet I had been so excited to finally see hairspray again and it’s a soundtrack I love. It was Westend prices too. Hopefully this one will be great. There’s some great tours coming up of other shows, I hate when people are snobby about tours yet here I am based off of the one I saw before!

The good thing is, Hairspray is a brilliant musical, so even a sub par production still has strong foundations

Last edited:
The touring Hamilton cast are probably the strongest Ham cast that I’ve seen. They seem to be having really good fun with the roles and it plays very well.

However- are they using a backing track instead of an orchestra? The sound levels were all over the place and it was pretty distracting. It could just be that theatre, it’s definitely not an issue that I’ve had in the past.

Reactions: 2
A friend was at Tina last night and walked out towards the end. He sings and could clearly see “Tina” miming the big songs. He was sat 3rd row. Anyone else heard about this?

The show was stopped part way through due to some conflict happening in the audience but he couldn’t see from where he was sat what happened.

• Wow
Reactions: 5
The touring Hamilton cast are probably the strongest Ham cast that I’ve seen. They seem to be having really good fun with the roles and it plays very well.

However- are they using a backing track instead of an orchestra? The sound levels were all over the place and it was pretty distracting. It could just be that theatre, it’s definitely not an issue that I’ve had in the past.
Im going to see this in a few months, I can’t wait! I has tickets to see it in London but it was a couple of months into lockdown so obviously got cancelled.
I’ve also just booked tickets to see ‘Here you go again’ and have realised today Steven Webb is in it, who I thought was SO good in Book of Mormon.

Hi! New to this thread.
Has anyone heard any whispers of Starlight Express casting? I’m itching to know!

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.