Weight Loss and Healthy Living #6 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Week 2: lost 3 pounds, so that’s ten pounds total. Really happy with that 👏

Trying not to think about the 4st 8lb still to go 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Decided to try and get back on it this week. Aiming for 1400-1500 cals a day and see how that goes. I have gained back about 6 lbs in total and it feels like it makes a huge difference, I feel utterly miserable about it tbh. Also still feel really bitter that I literally put on 5 lbs overnight and it didn’t drop off again, I just don’t understand it. But moaning about it isn’t going to have it off again so just got to suck it up and get going 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Hello, I am the heaviest I've ever been and need to do something about it. 5ft6, hit 16 stone after a holiday earlier this month and a size 20 in clothes. Hate being the "fat friend" amongst my social groups.

My problems are:

- Time poor with a 4yo and 10mo to prep meals for. By the time I've done their meals, I just want to throw freezer crap in the oven whilst I clean up the day's mess/do laundry/stare into space.

- Hate most exercise. Absolutely loathe it. I've never got the dopamine rush from exercise that others seem to experience.

- Food is definitely an emotional thing for me. I eat when I'm stressed/tired/annoyed.

That's the short version but am hoping to get a bit of inspiration from this thread.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Hello, I am the heaviest I've ever been and need to do something about it. 5ft6, hit 16 stone after a holiday earlier this month and a size 20 in clothes. Hate being the "fat friend" amongst my social groups.

My problems are:

- Time poor with a 4yo and 10mo to prep meals for. By the time I've done their meals, I just want to throw freezer crap in the oven whilst I clean up the day's mess/do laundry/stare into space.

- Hate most exercise. Absolutely loathe it. I've never got the dopamine rush from exercise that others seem to experience.

- Food is definitely an emotional thing for me. I eat when I'm stressed/tired/annoyed.

That's the short version but am hoping to get a bit of inspiration from this thread.
I’m a stress eater too. Im trying to get into my head that eating doesn’t solve the problem, it just makes me feel worse about myself.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Been doing a bit of PT recently and have also started with weigh-ins and calorie counting. The last lockdown did me no favours so it's about time.

Had losses of 1.4 & 1.6kg in the past 3 weeks but am panicking for tomorrow's weigh-in since I haven't been properly hungry for the last 3 days like I was before the last one, have had 2 sandwiches and then later had dinner which had no carbs. The idea of going on the scales is really scaring me.

Am I wrong to say that I just don't like the gym/fitness culture that much? I sound petty but some of the phrases they use rub me the wrong way (I hate hearing "ready to smash this?" at the start of every bloody session) and it's just a bit clinical in atmosphere. I walk in, hear the music and just want to start dancing instead of lifting weights. And I have OCD so I have to be careful when doing calorie counting/weigh-ins.

Reactions: 5
Been doing a bit of PT recently and have also started with weigh-ins and calorie counting. The last lockdown did me no favours so it's about time.

Had losses of 1.4 & 1.6kg in the past 3 weeks but am panicking for tomorrow's weigh-in since I haven't been properly hungry for the last 3 days like I was before the last one, have had 2 sandwiches and then later had dinner which had no carbs. The idea of going on the scales is really scaring me.

Am I wrong to say that I just don't like the gym/fitness culture that much? I sound petty but some of the phrases they use rub me the wrong way (I hate hearing "ready to smash this?" at the start of every bloody session) and it's just a bit clinical in atmosphere. I walk in, hear the music and just want to start dancing instead of lifting weights. And I have OCD so I have to be careful when doing calorie counting/weigh-ins.
It's not for everyone, there are plenty of dance based fitness classes though if you would find that more enjoyable

Reactions: 4

My problems are:

I get the time poor bit completely. I have 3 kids and it was only when my youngest turned 7 that I was able to grab 5 minutes for myself even think about losing weight, so kudos to you. Maybe you could try things like preparing a breakfast the night before (I always have overnight oats, quick to prepare and I just grab them in the morning and add fruit and yogurt. Or adding more veg to your evening meal? Small changes are easiest to stick to, I found).

I hate exercise too. You don't actually need to exercise for weight loss but obviously it does have other benefits. Walking is really good. When I first started (16 months ago) the first month I did a million different workout videos to see which I liked the best, zumba, weights , hiit, pilates, barre, a whole range of different ones (answer, none). I did find that I could stick to it if they were short so started out doing ten minutes twice a day. Could you squeeze that in? Over time I increased it to 20 minutes and now I do an hour most days. I still break it up and I still hate it. But I know for me it has really helped my mental health this last crappy year.

Good luck to you. Stick around, we are a nice friendly bunch. (and I LOVE your username!)

Would it help if you thought of the scales as just a data point? It helped me a lot to think of it as just one metric. I know my weight fluctuates loads even from morning to evening, and there are so many variables that can affect it (sleep, hormones, totm, water retention, loads of other stuff).i try to see it as just a snapshot of that particular moment, but I appreciate that may not be appropriate if you have ocd.

Can you look at other measures of progress too? How do your clothes feel? Are you taking measurements, getting stronger in the gym, sleeping better? Progress isn't just the scale.

And I absolutely loathe gyms. I'm a convert to home workouts on youtube and I'll never go back to a gym.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Yep I hate the gym. I have social anxiety so the whole thing is an ordeal for me. I do home workouts. Got some cheap dumbbells and do them in 10-20-30 min slots depending on how my day with my kid is going. If she’s clingy I can get a ten minute one in and then try another one later. When she stays at her nursery a bit later on a Thursday I’ll make sure I do 30 mins solid.

Reactions: 4
I had almost an entire box of chocolates for lunch 🙈 i did track it - I've come on my period early so im blaming that 😂

Mr D is still not listening to my voice of experience. He did two heavy gym sessions - one on Sunday with me, then a second on Monday morning whilst I was at work. And then spent more time out of the house, meeting friends and carrying heavy stuff and NOT bleeping EATING, than he's done for about 2 years. His legs nearly gave out on him when he got off the train last night, then he had to walk a mile home.

I got in from work this afternoon and asked if he fancied the gym or just a little plod around the rec tonight. He pulled a face and said 'Oh, God, no, I totally destroyed my legs on Monday'.

The gym vocab is definitely creeping in - before DOMS set in, he was wibbling about how he'd smashed it. Knob, I knew you'd regret that, but would you listen to me about rest days? Nah.

I'm thinking about what I'm going to do with my days off when I start my new job in a month, as I'll have Fridays to fill (and I don't want to spend the time either spending or cleaning/shopping). I am really missing swimming, but can't get on with the trying to book at the local pool in the knowledge I'll be surrounded by children or consigned to lane swimming when I'm not actually that good at it. Maybe they'll change the rules by then so you can just turn up and swim again?

If they do, I'm going to need a new swimming costume, as although I have about five in different sizes and styles, half are too big for me (ie, great billowing lycra clouds and farting noises if I can even keep my chest inside them and the other half just don't feel right. Would it be weird to look into some sort of legsuit thing? I think I'm borderline 16/18 in things now, so would I need to size up or just go for an 18 (or whatever number costumes are sold in)?

He's uncomfortable with the idea of going, as he hates baring his chest - his answer to the suggestion was 'if I could wear a victorian men's swimming outfit, I'd do it'. Whilst I'm more than happy to go without him, I wondered whether pools still ban men wearing anything covering their chest? Or have they gone beyond that now people of different religions are recognised as wanting to access swimming as well?

Maybe I'll just buy another dress for work in the meantime to distract me from further sportswear purchases...

Mr D is still not listening to my voice of experience. He did two heavy gym sessions - one on Sunday with me, then a second on Monday morning whilst I was at work. And then spent more time out of the house, meeting friends and carrying heavy stuff and NOT bleeping EATING, than he's done for about 2 years. His legs nearly gave out on him when he got off the train last night, then he had to walk a mile home.

I got in from work this afternoon and asked if he fancied the gym or just a little plod around the rec tonight. He pulled a face and said 'Oh, God, no, I totally destroyed my legs on Monday'.

The gym vocab is definitely creeping in - before DOMS set in, he was wibbling about how he'd smashed it. Knob, I knew you'd regret that, but would you listen to me about rest days? Nah.

I'm thinking about what I'm going to do with my days off when I start my new job in a month, as I'll have Fridays to fill (and I don't want to spend the time either spending or cleaning/shopping). I am really missing swimming, but can't get on with the trying to book at the local pool in the knowledge I'll be surrounded by children or consigned to lane swimming when I'm not actually that good at it. Maybe they'll change the rules by then so you can just turn up and swim again?

If they do, I'm going to need a new swimming costume, as although I have about five in different sizes and styles, half are too big for me (ie, great billowing lycra clouds and farting noises if I can even keep my chest inside them and the other half just don't feel right. Would it be weird to look into some sort of legsuit thing? I think I'm borderline 16/18 in things now, so would I need to size up or just go for an 18 (or whatever number costumes are sold in)?

He's uncomfortable with the idea of going, as he hates baring his chest - his answer to the suggestion was 'if I could wear a victorian men's swimming outfit, I'd do it'. Whilst I'm more than happy to go without him, I wondered whether pools still ban men wearing anything covering their chest? Or have they gone beyond that now people of different religions are recognised as wanting to access swimming as well?

Maybe I'll just buy another dress for work in the meantime to distract me from further sportswear purchases...
You could look at buying the same swimsuits as Muslim women wear. A friend of mine had weightloss surgery and was very self conscious of the loose skin she was left with so had her swimsuits and workout wear changed so that there was netting down her arms and legs. She was loaded so could've afforded surgery to remove the skin but said she would be left with scars so adapting her clothing was a better option for her.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Forced to have a second rest day this week as I have awful pain in my jaw/ear and I’m not sure what is causing it. A plus point is it hurts to eat 🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s making me feel so crappy I just can’t face doing exercise as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Lads were not overweight, we've got kummerspeck.
I subscribed to this thread because I really need to lose weight, but also deliberately don't read it on a spiral.

BUT.

As much as I want to lose weight, I can't break away from eating, drinking and smoking through grief. Like I don't
know how better to handle this. Not wanting to derail, I know many of us have been there. I don't know how else
to handle sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I subscribed to this thread because I really need to lose weight, but also deliberately don't read it on a spiral.

BUT.

As much as I want to lose weight, I can't break away from eating, drinking and smoking through grief. Like I don't
know how better to handle this. Not wanting to derail, I know many of us have been there. I don't know how else
to handle sad.
We are creatures of habit, that's why people are on a cycle of losing weight and regaining it, because as soon as we reach our goal we revert back to previous habits and lifestyles. It's a case of finding something else to do when you are sad but of course that is far easier said than done. Stopping smoking was by far the hardest thing I've done.

Since reading this thread I’ve been a lot more controlled.
went for dinner last night with friends had a starter, main and soft drink so was reasonably constrained.
Back too it today. I’ve been making sure I make time to eat breakfast which I’ve found helps me a lot

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Since reading this thread I’ve been a lot more controlled.
went for dinner last night with friends had a starter, main and soft drink so was reasonably constrained.
Back too it today. I’ve been making sure I make time to eat breakfast which I’ve found helps me a lot
That’s great! Well done!

Reactions: 3
Happy Thursday!

So a good few positive days and feeling so much better without all the evening binges. Yesterday was the first time in what feels like months that I haven’t had the constant argument with myself all night about going to the shop.

My new jeans are feeling as though they fit again (were tight a week or so ago) and I have taken all the old tiny clothes to the charity shop. It is so bad to see those in my wardrobe. They represent a work life and a food life that are never coming back.

Just reading all your posts is like having a friend. I know that might sound odd, but having stood in the supermarket crying in front of those foods, it is finally nice to to own up and not feel so alone.

Sorry to those who are going through tough times mentally or physically. Sending hugs.

🤗

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.