Weight Loss and Healthy Living #6 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Mr D is still not listening to my voice of experience. He did two heavy gym sessions - one on Sunday with me, then a second on Monday morning whilst I was at work. And then spent more time out of the house, meeting friends and carrying heavy stuff and NOT bleeping EATING, than he's done for about 2 years. His legs nearly gave out on him when he got off the train last night, then he had to walk a mile home.

I got in from work this afternoon and asked if he fancied the gym or just a little plod around the rec tonight. He pulled a face and said 'Oh, God, no, I totally destroyed my legs on Monday'.

The gym vocab is definitely creeping in - before DOMS set in, he was wibbling about how he'd smashed it. Knob, I knew you'd regret that, but would you listen to me about rest days? Nah.

I'm thinking about what I'm going to do with my days off when I start my new job in a month, as I'll have Fridays to fill (and I don't want to spend the time either spending or cleaning/shopping). I am really missing swimming, but can't get on with the trying to book at the local pool in the knowledge I'll be surrounded by children or consigned to lane swimming when I'm not actually that good at it. Maybe they'll change the rules by then so you can just turn up and swim again?

If they do, I'm going to need a new swimming costume, as although I have about five in different sizes and styles, half are too big for me (ie, great billowing lycra clouds and farting noises if I can even keep my chest inside them and the other half just don't feel right. Would it be weird to look into some sort of legsuit thing? I think I'm borderline 16/18 in things now, so would I need to size up or just go for an 18 (or whatever number costumes are sold in)?

He's uncomfortable with the idea of going, as he hates baring his chest - his answer to the suggestion was 'if I could wear a victorian men's swimming outfit, I'd do it'. Whilst I'm more than happy to go without him, I wondered whether pools still ban men wearing anything covering their chest? Or have they gone beyond that now people of different religions are recognised as wanting to access swimming as well?

Maybe I'll just buy another dress for work in the meantime to distract me from further sportswear purchases...
I bought long sleeved/legged swimsuit sets from Amazon and plus size shop, Yours. My local swimming were fine but I happen to live in a area with a high Orthodox Jewish population so it is a fairly common sight. Also worn one at Centre Parcs and again no issues :)
I get the time poor bit completely. I have 3 kids and it was only when my youngest turned 7 that I was able to grab 5 minutes for myself even think about losing weight, so kudos to you. Maybe you could try things like preparing a breakfast the night before (I always have overnight oats, quick to prepare and I just grab them in the morning and add fruit and yogurt. Or adding more veg to your evening meal? Small changes are easiest to stick to, I found).

I hate exercise too. You don't actually need to exercise for weight loss but obviously it does have other benefits. Walking is really good. When I first started (16 months ago) the first month I did a million different workout videos to see which I liked the best, zumba, weights , hiit, pilates, barre, a whole range of different ones (answer, none). I did find that I could stick to it if they were short so started out doing ten minutes twice a day. Could you squeeze that in? Over time I increased it to 20 minutes and now I do an hour most days. I still break it up and I still hate it. But I know for me it has really helped my mental health this last crappy year.

Good luck to you. Stick around, we are a nice friendly bunch. (and I LOVE your username!)
Thank you for your lovely response. Absolute admiration for anyone who has more than two kids AND finds the time to invest in their health and well being.

I do enjoy walking but have flat feet which can be problematic at times. Before I got pregnant with my 2nd baby, I did look at You Tube walking videos to test out. And this week I've managed to get on a (very slow) 90 minute walk every day, thanks to my eldest going to a drop off summer activity. This morning I did wake up feeling a bit better in myself!

Haha, I originally intended to choose broken biscuits but thought it sounded a bit too negative. Hence smellsofbiscuits!

Yesterday I had a friend round to lunch so had lots of wee plates such as salad, hummus etc. I also included a bowl of tortilla chips that largely went untouched. Until I ended up picking at them whilst making the kids' tea 🤦‍♀️ I just *knew* I should have put them away but my will power was too low.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Buongiorno Tattle fam 👋🏻
Hope everyone is well, have enjoyed catching up with your posts over the past few days.
Back from my hols (a day early, thank you Covid app 🙄) so I’m back on it from tomorrow for a couple of days, day off Sunday for my anniversary and then four strict days before another weekend off.. don’t know whether I’m coming or going!
Pleased to say I only put on 5lbs being completely off plan (mostly water weight I know) but keeping active helped so much.. between 25,000-30,000 steps a day, plus a run every morning and even some bike rental thrown in. I’m knackered now 😂 and I had some incredible food😁 worth it, and I now feel so much better about my future maintenance life as I can see how a balance can be achieved.

———————————————————————
To temper the happy post, I do have a bit of a moan.. (of course I do, I’m from Yorkshire).

Posted some pictures on insta of my trip and some of the responses I received got me thinking.. I haven’t mentioned my weight loss journey at all on social media, and yes my previous posts (Xmas 2020) show me nearly 4st heavier than I am now so it’s quite a noticeable change. But isn’t it funny the praise/attention you get when you’re thinner? I don’t think I’d ever comment on a *social media acquaintance’s* appearance, not least because weight loss (or gain) could be due to illness and out of the person’s control - you never know what’s going on in someone’s life. Just something I’m pondering this afternoon while I sunbathe 🤔

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Lost half a pound this week which considering I stopped calorie counting and ate loads of chocolate last week, I’ll take that.

@bellinibobble I agree about the weight loss comments! I had them before when I lost a lot of weight that I’ve now piled back on.

I’ve sort of got the opposite situation where I’ve got to go into the office on Monday (freedom day 🙄) and haven’t been in since 2019 so I think it’ll be noticeable how much weight I’ve put on. The only thing I’m holding onto is my company are allowing flexi working so I hope not too many people would choose to come in on a Monday. I really want to treat myself to lunch from work canteen but not sure how I would calorie count it, maybe I should just be sensible and bring lunch with me.

• Heart
@bellinibobble Agree, although I find I'm just treated better, by everyone when I'm thinner. When I cross over into healthy BMI, I suddenly get hit on more. It's literally like a switch. Even the postie is nicer! I work in the arts and while I'm not on camera or anything, the men in particular pay more attention and seem to like my ideas more when I'm thinner. Funny, that? :cautious:

• Sad
Reactions: 7
I bought long sleeved/legged swimsuit sets from Amazon and plus size shop, Yours. My local swimming were fine but I happen to live in a area with a high Orthodox Jewish population so it is a fairly common sight. Also worn one at Centre Parcs and again no issues :)

Thank you for your lovely response. Absolute admiration for anyone who has more than two kids AND finds the time to invest in their health and well being.

I do enjoy walking but have flat feet which can be problematic at times. Before I got pregnant with my 2nd baby, I did look at You Tube walking videos to test out. And this week I've managed to get on a (very slow) 90 minute walk every day, thanks to my eldest going to a drop off summer activity. This morning I did wake up feeling a bit better in myself!

Haha, I originally intended to choose broken biscuits but thought it sounded a bit too negative. Hence smellsofbiscuits!

Yesterday I had a friend round to lunch so had lots of wee plates such as salad, hummus etc. I also included a bowl of tortilla chips that largely went untouched. Until I ended up picking at them whilst making the kids' tea 🤦‍♀️ I just *knew* I should have put them away but my will power was too low.
90 minutes is brilliant. I don't know much about flat feet but are there any special insoles you can get that could help?

Walking is so underrated for fitness. A million years ago, after my first pregnancy (he's 18 next week) I lost the 6 stone I had gained just by walking. I'm still quite proud of that 🤣

I’m up 0.8 this week. Possibly to do with being a bit poorly? Not sure. Trying not to dwell as in the scheme of things it isn’t a massive amount.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Posted some pictures on insta of my trip and some of the responses I received got me thinking.. I haven’t mentioned my weight loss journey at all on social media, and yes my previous posts (Xmas 2020) show me nearly 4st heavier than I am now so it’s quite a noticeable change. But isn’t it funny the praise/attention you get when you’re thinner? I don’t think I’d ever comment on a *social media acquaintance’s* appearance, not least because weight loss (or gain) could be due to illness and out of the person’s control - you never know what’s going on in someone’s life. Just something I’m pondering this afternoon while I sunbathe 🤔
Fellow Yorkshire moaner here 🤣

I lost most of my weight in lockdown so saw no one for months and when we went back to seeing people, some of the comments I had! I had one woman I barely know actually come up to me with a notebook demanding to know the intricacies of my exercise routine. Her face fell when I told her it was mainly down to what I ate. It really made me think about how I compliment people after weight loss now.

Everyone wanted to know my secret (plot twist, there is no secret 🤣). When I told them it was just calorie counting their eyes would glaze over. I think they were hoping I'd discovered a magic pill.

I had people ask if I was ill. Someone asked me if I was anorexic and some people who I was previously friendly ish with have completely ignored me (like walking past me on multiple occasions like they haven't seen me ignored!) People's reactions can be so weird.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Fellow Yorkshire moaner here 🤣

I lost most of my weight in lockdown so saw no one for months and when we went back to seeing people, some of the comments I had! I had one woman I barely know actually come up to me with a notebook demanding to know the intricacies of my exercise routine. Her face fell when I told her it was mainly down to what I ate. It really made me think about how I compliment people after weight loss now.

Everyone wanted to know my secret (plot twist, there is no secret 🤣). When I told them it was just calorie counting their eyes would glaze over. I think they were hoping I'd discovered a magic pill.

I had people ask if I was ill. Someone asked me if I was anorexic and some people who I was previously friendly ish with have completely ignored me (like walking past me on multiple occasions like they haven't seen me ignored!) People's reactions can be so weird.
Yes yes a million times yes 👏🏻 A notebook though 😳😂🤦🏻‍♀️

I’ve also had people far thinner than me ask me at great length exactly how I’ve done it! Down to the number of calories a day I’m eating which I feel really uncomfortable about disclosing.. especially to friends who already weigh less than I do, and are smaller (they don’t like losing the fat friend!🤦🏻‍♀️ People assume so much - they don’t know I’ve worked HARD every day since 5 Jan for this.. there is no secret!!

Yesterday’s comment from someone I know through work - “you’ve lost a s*** tonne of weight” 😳 actually mortifying?? Errr thanks I guess!! This was particularly bad wording but the level of interest in your appearance from relative strangers is unsettling to say the least.

Although after reading KHM’s thread on here I was paranoid people would just asssume I’m editing my pictures to tit, so at least people must believe it 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Moonflower Re the insoles - part of it is vanity. I love Converses but they just don't work with insoles. Sketchers are great for every day use but again they don't work well with insoles.

But I do enjoy walking. However I live in such a small place that I can guarantee bumping into people any time I set foot over the door 🤣 I can drive to a nearby park but again it is the effort going into that. If I just get up and go, that helps.

Re the general discussion of weight loss. One of the *worst* encounters I had was a colleague who I hadn't seen in a while say loudly she almost didn't recognise me, thanks to the weight I had put on especially on my face. This was ten years ago and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

Does anyone else hate the "I'm so fat" conversations? Usually instigated by those that are definitely not fat 🙄

Yep. When I used to go to the gym years ago there was a woman who did all the classes (like 3, back to back every day) and she would constantly pinch her non existent stomach and complain how fat she was to anyone who would listen. She was absolutely tiny. Makes me a bit sad now to think of her, as she obviously had issues.

I think the nicest compliment anyone gave me was just a simple "you look really well". I knew what she meant, but there were no intrusive questions or awkwardness. No one comments anymore (thank goodness) but I found it so awkward knowing what to say. Usually I'd just say thank you and try and change the subject.

I have a couple of friends who do this who are tall and wear size 8-10 (according to their jacket sizes). It's maddening but I usually bite my tongue as I have no desire to share my clothes size with them.

Another sunny day and another day of standing in front of my wardrobe wishing it was autumn 😂 I can dress well for autumn.

I must get my 5:2 recipe books back out again. Following that plan actually helped my mindset around food and how I ate a lot of the time purely out of boredom. Also it is easy to follow around children as I really don't want to pass my weight issues onto them.

• Heart
I think whatever your size, if you feel rubbish, you feel rubbish.

I felt worse when I was at my thinnest (when I was ill) than I do now but that is part of me getting better.

That is partly why people need to be careful about the language used around weight loss. As those above have said so eloquently, the weight or gain could be out of someone’s control (ED, medication, trauma, grief, chronic pain etc etc).

Hope everyone has a good weekend, I will be quietly melting. Now the OH is home for the school holidays all is good. Hopefully lots of home workouts because I cannot do deadlifts on my own without hurting myself!!!

Reactions: 8
Week 28: -1.75. Now officially in the next stone down! I’ve lost 3stone 3lb in total since jan. Thrilled! About to undo a lot of it by having a week off 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I've had a terrible week 2. I don't cope well with heat at all and after 12 hour shifts on my feet all day sweating out of every pore I've not had the energy to cook and have had two takeaways as well as iced coffees on my lunch break. I've put weight on but I'm not too upset because I expected this with the heat. I definitely think I suffer from SAD but towards Summer not Winter. I'll see how next week fares!

• Heart
I've had a terrible week 2. I don't cope well with heat at all and after 12 hour shifts on my feet all day sweating out of every pore I've not had the energy to cook and have had two takeaways as well as iced coffees on my lunch break. I've put weight on but I'm not too upset because I expected this with the heat. I definitely think I suffer from SAD but towards Summer not Winter. I'll see how next week fares!
Just a quick check in to say “same ❤ “. I just walked into my street and my neighbour told me that I did not look well and that I looked like I needed a long lie down 🙄🙃🥵.

Please can this heatwave end soon, 14 degrees, breezy and bright will suit me and the dog just fine.

• Heart
Just a quick check in to say “same ❤ “. I just walked into my street and my neighbour told me that I did not look well and that I looked like I needed a long lie down 🙄🙃🥵.

Please can this heatwave end soon, 14 degrees, breezy and bright will suit me and the dog just fine.
Thank you. It's nice to know someone understands

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Saturday morning on the spaceage scales, knowing I've not exercised since Sunday, so expecting horrors, especially as I've been very conscious of how large my belly is over the last couple of days.

Down 1.2kg.

Mr D's explanation for this is that my legs and arms have obviously got thinner again and did I know that it's now possible to see the outline of muscles on my arms, shoulders and legs at rest. When I got up, I did notice that my lower belly is squishier, which I suppose is the skin losing some of the fat that kept it firmer. Ah well, I expect loose skin will be a permanent issue.

Gym this afternoon. Don't do hot, so some nice airconditioned metal hefting will do us both nicely. And I'll see if I can get him to do some kickboxing based abs work later, when we only have to crawl upstairs to bed rather than walk home.

I'm going to Wagamama's tomorrow for lunch. Any suggestions for what is low calorie? I've never been before

Reactions: 1
I climbed back onto the wagon this morning. I gave up cc and exercise for a good few weeks as had an exam and i just don’t have the space in my head to deal with weight loss on top of work, studying, kids etc. Weighed this morning and in 13st 13.2, heaviest I’ve been since I was pregnant and at 5ft 3 it’s too much for my frame. I’m back in the office in a week, thankfully just for one day a week but I’m already planning how I can hide the weight gain. I was 12st when I walked out the office in March 2020. I’d rather just crawl under a rock tbh. I know no one will say anything because colleagues are very sweet but I just feel so embarrassed and humiliated that I’ve let myself put this weight on.
Maybe it’s the push I need to stick with it. I would love to wake up thin but it’s so good for me to hear you guys that have stuck it out and can see results. Gives me motivation.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.