Weight Loss and Healthy Living #6 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This paper is looking at different variables. It doesn't assess the effect of not eating gluten on the body, which is what the papers I saw were assessing, so not really comparable. The link between the gluten free diet and the 'heathy dietary pattern' also seems dubious to me. Here they defined this as 'higher consumption of fruit, vegetables and lower consumption of dairy products, salty/sweet and fatty foods and alcohol.' I haven't got time to read this paper in full at the moment but I imagine it would be very difficult to guard against confounding factors here e.g. how many of those people already ate this way?
Worth pointing out that they also found these people were more likely to be female (haven't looked for this, but a sensible guess is that women are probably more likely to buy into fad diets because of ED culture) and people with a lower educational level (who might not know how to assess the evidence).

Here's one paper which is open access:

Cutting out gluten where not clinically indicated can result in a decrease in fiber consumption, potential decreases in mineral and vitamin consumption, including calcium, magnesium, zinc, vitamin B12, folate, and vitamin D, and potentially increased exposure to dietary hydrogenated and saturated fatty acids, and arsenic
There are always going to be variables in everyone's lifestyle and diet. Hard to pinpoint sometimes what makes the difference. It is fairly explicit when it states that 'a healthy dietary pattern was positively associated with total gluten avoidance'. This shows that taking into account variables following a gluten free diet was healthy.

Yes, I take your point about gender and lifestyle. I think around 80% of vegetarians and vegans are female, for example. I imagine many people who follow a gluten free diet already lead a fairly healthy lifestyle and many would probably be female.

I also accept that there are concerns about following a gluten free diet. You need to make sure you take in grains from other sources. Do your own research and talk to nutritionists! I understand you seem unsure about nutritionists and that is your choice. Look for qualifications and find reviews on them like you would if seeing a physio, for example.

Since lockdown in March 2020 I’ve lost two and a half stone which is great and I’m so happy about! But I’m only 10lbs away from my goal weight and it just isn’t seeming to shift.
Does anyone have any advice on how to move past a weight loss plateau? I just wanna shift this last 10lbs before I back to the office in two months.
I eat pretty healthily and aim for about 1400kcals a day, although probably go over that at the weekend sometimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Since lockdown in March 2020 I’ve lost two and a half stone which is great and I’m so happy about! But I’m only 10lbs away from my goal weight and it just isn’t seeming to shift.
Does anyone have any advice on how to move past a weight loss plateau? I just wanna shift this last 10lbs before I back to the office in two months.
I eat pretty healthily and aim for about 1400kcals a day, although probably go over that at the weekend sometimes.
Well done, that’s awesome! So tricky when you get to the last few lbs! Might be scary to consider but have you had a break at all? Maybe a week or two off your deficit to reset might help? Or a change in the type of exercising you’re doing?

Reactions: 3
I’m just at this emotional eating point as I’m just so damn unhappy and I don’t know what to do. My face shows my 2stone gain and my stomach is rocking at least 8 months pregnant. I’m always feeling sick and bloated, I hate how I look but I can’t stop eating. Right now I’m making the excuse of being skint, so Iceland has come to the rescue there and I just don’t understand why I can’t just calorie count it?! Or limit it. Why eat a cheeseburger while cooking my curry? I’ve got Nutracheck downloaded and pay for it but I find it so difficult. I’m hoping to sit down this weekend and make a plan, a meal by meal plan of my days for work and also gym. I know it’s 80% food but I know when I workout in the morning I’m always on my best behaviour with food as in my head I worked hard that morning. Sorry. I just really rambled. I’m just so sick of feeling this way.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
I’m just at this emotional eating point as I’m just so damn unhappy and I don’t know what to do. My face shows my 2stone gain and my stomach is rocking at least 8 months pregnant. I’m always feeling sick and bloated, I hate how I look but I can’t stop eating. Right now I’m making the excuse of being skint, so Iceland has come to the rescue there and I just don’t understand why I can’t just calorie count it?! Or limit it. Why eat a cheeseburger while cooking my curry? I’ve got Nutracheck downloaded and pay for it but I find it so difficult. I’m hoping to sit down this weekend and make a plan, a meal by meal plan of my days for work and also gym. I know it’s 80% food but I know when I workout in the morning I’m always on my best behaviour with food as in my head I worked hard that morning. Sorry. I just really rambled. I’m just so sick of feeling this way.
Sorry to hear about that. Sticking to a plan can help. Maybe join a local Weight Watchers group or something similar? A gym group? Doing something once or twice a week with others may help.

Reactions: 2
Can you book yourself into a class tomorrow morning or maybe go do Parkrun, something that acts as a commitment. Also meal planning is pretty fundamental to success. Maybe spend some time finding recipes that are quick, cheap and nutritious and lastly (this makes me sound snobby) Iceland is probably not the best choice for buying food, too much processed stuff.

Reactions: 1
take it hour by hour and then day by day. Big hugs

Because you've got too hungry to be able to wait for the curry to be ready and you instinctively know you need protein, fat, salt and some carbs.

If I make sure I've had something regularly during the day, I don't get the 'Ohhhhh, fuuuuuuuuck, I need to eat and I need to eat NOW'. Mr D keeps a stash of instant snacks in the fridge (largely things like boiled eggs, mini portions of cheese, precooked meatballs, that kind of thing) when I'm at work in case I've done an insane day and say something like 'Hi, what's for tea?' post gym meals are all no more than ten minutes from opening the fridge to bringing the plates/bowls in for that reason. A couple of boiled eggs, an egg and a piece of Brie, or three or four meatballs all add up to around 140kcals and can take that desperate urge away for long enough to get the evening meal done.

Planning for the emergency situations in advance takes a lot of the anxiety out of it, which means you don't do the panic cheeseburger thing. And once you're used to the idea that there is something in the fridge already, you can tweak it to things that work for you - there's as likely to be some celery or apple and peanut butter available now, as I also like those or sometimes mini pots of hummus and celery/carrots/cucumber. As money isn't such a pressing issue for us right now (only took us ten years to get to this stage), we've also got Ready to Drink protein shakes in the fridge at all times; I use them for breakfast as they work for me better than actual food at 5am and he normally has one after the gym.

Didn't need emergency scran tonight; just did a plod around the rec with a few incidences of running (which possibly alarmed him as he's never seen me do it before and, for all my weight, I move like a machine). Then whilst I had a hot bath, he made a sort-of-risotto; rice, onion, mushrooms, stock, spring onions and parmesan on top - not hugely expensive, but it took time - and I've just had some yoghurt and frozen berries for a change, as it's Friday night and we don't do a Friday night takeaway every week anymore.

Weighing time tomorrow morning; as I've done a fair bit this week, hoping that there will be some loss, but if not, well, there's always next week, isn't there?

Reactions: 10
Moving on.. 🙂

Ive had a couple of weeks off calorie counting and exercise (some selfimposed isolation periods - I’m being very cautious) but hoping to fit in some running this weekend if it stays dry 🤞🏻 Only got 4 C25k runs left until the end of the programme! What’s everyone’s plans for the weekend?
I'm going to finish painting the spare room, which I started over a year ago! Counting it as exercise, of course. ;)

Been back into the office today for the first time in almost 18 months!
I have to ask - were they jealous surprised to see your weight loss?

Reactions: 3
Went to London today and did 13k steps. About a quarter of those was also while carrying my 4 year old as she had tired legs. I was also carrying a huge backpack. So I am absolutely done in. I did however eat breakfast, lunch and dinner out. I’m hoping I balanced somewhere.
I usually weigh on a Friday but I’m going to try and stop because they just aren’t showing any change. I’m not sure how to measure any more. I haven’t changed clothes size. I don’t seem to change measurements although admittedly I haven’t been consistent in that so maybe I don’t know if that’s true.
I do feel very much like I’ve been hitting my head against a brick wall for absolutely months now.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I have to ask - were they jealous surprised to see your weight loss?
A bit! 😁 We’re a small team and we’ve had weekly virtual meetings so they’re the only people close to me who’ve seen me regularly throughout all this so don’t notice a change as much. However they’ve only seen me from shoulders up so I had some nice compliments when they saw me in the flesh today 😂

Funnily enough though, I feel kind of awkward/bad because for lots of people the stresses of lockdown means weight gained. We’re bucking the trend thought aren’t we! I’ve had lots of people ask how achieved it during this awful time but my specific circumstances made it manageable.. with kids or working outside the home, or not having the pressure of an upcoming wedding or a partner joining me through the process, I never could have done it. Knowing how I’ve been in denial about my weight in the past, or not ready to make the change, I would hate to know I’m making others feel inadequate.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hello everyone on this thread 🥰 my first time posting and looking for some advice regarding CC, I have the app and the knowledge to do it I just don’t know how to get started of that makes sense?
It’s silly but how do I put my faith into something working that I haven’t done before 😣

Great work, everyone! 🤩

Week 26: -2 lbs
Total: 4 stone 2 lbs

I think I'm going to take a break from weekly weighing and make my next weigh in end of July. I feel like I've become a bit of a slave to the scales and I need a mental break from it. o_O I'll still check in (I need accountability!!) and I'll still be doing my usual calorie counting, just switching focus to building up my exercise/stamina and seeing how my clothes fit, how I feel instead.

Next goal is to hit 4 stone 7 lbs when I weigh in on July 31st!
^^This was my last weigh in 5 weeks ago.

Weeks 27-31: -6 lbs
Total: 4 stone 8 lbs

Considering I had a week off in there, I'm happy with that! Next goal is to hit 5 stone and healthy BMI by August 28th. 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Because you've got too hungry to be able to wait for the curry to be ready and you instinctively know you need protein, fat, salt and some carbs.

If I make sure I've had something regularly during the day, I don't get the 'Ohhhhh, fuuuuuuuuck, I need to eat and I need to eat NOW'. Mr D keeps a stash of instant snacks in the fridge (largely things like boiled eggs, mini portions of cheese, precooked meatballs, that kind of thing) when I'm at work in case I've done an insane day and say something like 'Hi, what's for tea?' post gym meals are all no more than ten minutes from opening the fridge to bringing the plates/bowls in for that reason. A couple of boiled eggs, an egg and a piece of Brie, or three or four meatballs all add up to around 140kcals and can take that desperate urge away for long enough to get the evening meal done.

Planning for the emergency situations in advance takes a lot of the anxiety out of it, which means you don't do the panic cheeseburger thing. And once you're used to the idea that there is something in the fridge already, you can tweak it to things that work for you - there's as likely to be some celery or apple and peanut butter available now, as I also like those or sometimes mini pots of hummus and celery/carrots/cucumber. As money isn't such a pressing issue for us right now (only took us ten years to get to this stage), we've also got Ready to Drink protein shakes in the fridge at all times; I use them for breakfast as they work for me better than actual food at 5am and he normally has one after the gym.

Didn't need emergency scran tonight; just did a plod around the rec with a few incidences of running (which possibly alarmed him as he's never seen me do it before and, for all my weight, I move like a machine). Then whilst I had a hot bath, he made a sort-of-risotto; rice, onion, mushrooms, stock, spring onions and parmesan on top - not hugely expensive, but it took time - and I've just had some yoghurt and frozen berries for a change, as it's Friday night and we don't do a Friday night takeaway every week anymore.

Weighing time tomorrow morning; as I've done a fair bit this week, hoping that there will be some loss, but if not, well, there's always next week, isn't there?
I think this is something people fail to understand after they lose the weight, you can't return to the same habits you had that caused the weight gain in the 1st place because unsurprisingly you get the same results and so the cycle continues.

Week 30: -5.5. Considering I put on 7.25 last week after a week off, that’s not bad! One more week and I should be back on track. Started back at the gym this week. Saw someone from work who I don’t know very well but they commented how well I looked. Good job they saw me on the way in and not the way out 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Funnily enough though, I feel kind of awkward/bad because for lots of people the stresses of lockdown means weight gained. We’re bucking the trend thought aren’t we! I’ve had lots of people ask how achieved it during this awful time but my specific circumstances made it manageable.. with kids or working outside the home, or not having the pressure of an upcoming wedding or a partner joining me through the process, I never could have done it. Knowing how I’ve been in denial about my weight in the past, or not ready to make the change, I would hate to know I’m making others feel inadequate.
I know exactly what you mean. I felt bad too and like you it was circumstances. I was homeschooling but not working. I've had a couple of people tell me I made them feel inadequate (which was horrible and I felt awful).

Hello everyone on this thread 🥰 my first time posting and looking for some advice regarding CC, I have the app and the knowledge to do it I just don’t know how to get started of that makes sense?
It’s silly but how do I put my faith into something working that I haven’t done before 😣
Hi @Pinkoctopus which app are you using? Maybe you could start by tracking what you eat normally for a week before you jump into calorie counting to get used to the app etc. It's a little eye opening when you realise how many calories are in certain things!

Then maybe start to calorie count a healthy breakfast and do a meal at a time? Add more vegetables to your evening meal, a glass of water with every meal? I've found that the small changes are the ones that stick the most.

I think you just have to trust it and give it a good amount of time (at least six weeks, I say this because for me the scales didn't budge for 4 weeks and I could have given up at that point but I didn't). It absolutely works, I promise. I've lost 3 stone all calorie counting. Once you get in the swing of it just becomes part of your day. People say to me, oh I couldn't do that it takes too long but honestly it takes me about 3 minutes a day, because after a year I have all my recipes saved, I tend to eat a variety of the same meals etc etc.

Last edited:
  • Sad
I know exactly what you mean. I felt bad too and like you it was circumstances. I was homeschooling but not working. I've had a couple of people tell me I made them feel inadequate (which was horrible and I felt awful).

Hi @Pinkoctopus which app are you using? Maybe you could start by tracking what you eat normally for a week before you jump into calorie counting to get used to the app etc. It's a little eye opening when you realise how many calories are in certain things!

Then maybe start to calorie count a healthy breakfast and do a meal at a time? Add more vegetables to your evening meal, a glass of water with every meal? I've found that the small changes are the ones that stick the most.

I think you just have to trust it and give it a good amount of time (at least six weeks, I say this because for me the scales didn't budge for 4 weeks and I could have given up at that point but I didn't). It absolutely works, I promise. I've lost 3 stone all calorie counting. Once you get in the swing of it just becomes part of your day. People say to me, oh I couldn't do that it takes too long but honestly it takes me about 3 minutes a day, because after a year I have all my recipes saved, I tend to eat a variety of the same meals etc etc.
thank you for replying! I have nutracheck, I have been familiarising myself with the app (I like that they do more UK based shops MFP just didn’t make sense to me I really didn’t like it

thank you for replying! I have nutracheck, I have been familiarising myself with the app (I like that they do more UK based shops MFP just didn’t make sense to me I really didn’t like it
Fab! I use MFP but have heard good things about nutracheck. I did give it a brief go but I've been using MFP on and off for years and you can't teach an old dog new tricks 🤣 whatever works for you, I reckon.

Hi gang! Went to my first Park Run this morning and what a great start to the weekend! I’ve been avoiding the scales for the week because I was away last weekend and got a bit scared of them, but weighed after PR this morning and I’m OFFICIALLY two stone down since NYD 🥳 non scale victory - the jeans I bought in jan that were a bit tight, I can now can on and off without undoing the button 😃 still a bit scared of the 14s so haven’t tried those yet haha. Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.