Weight Loss and Healthy Living #5 Tattlers Transformation

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some interesting stats from this article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/stop-midlife-spread-30s-40s-50s-beyond/

'Scientists from the University of California looked at the BMI of 65,000 people in four separate studies going back to before 1905 to see how weight has changed over the years – and found that this generation is getting wider, younger. For people born between 1955 and 1959, for example, the average 20something BMI was 24.4, which is a healthy weight. But for people born between 1980 and 1984, the scientists found they were, on average, a healthy weight as teens, but overweight in their 20s and obese in their 30s.

Dr Giles Yeo, principal research associate at the MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit, University of Cambridge, claims that this generational increase in weight gain has nothing to do with genetics. “Our genes have not changed from 1905 until now,” says Yeo. “The changes are driven ultimately from the environment – our lifestyle, socioeconomic factors and the food environment.

“This is not a straightforward calorie issue. Records show we ate more in the past, but the types of food we’re eating now are very different and this affects the way we absorb calories.”

Cost of food is also a factor. “Teenagers have always been energetic and a bottomless pit when it comes to eating, but they’re now able to buy cheaper food, which is often ultra-processed” – such as fast food, crisps or chocolate. “And if you end up with obesity when you’re young, the likelihood of keeping the weight gain is high.”'

Reactions: 4
Feb 14th 18 stone 2
April 21st 17 stone 3.75
Only lost .25 of a pound in the last week. Was up all night sick so trying to concentrate on pictures

Screenshot_20210421-131152_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210421-131318_Gallery.jpg

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 22
Hi everyone, first time posting on here. I have at least two stone and a half stone that I need to lose after gaining it through lockdown depression eating. Overall I just feel like crap and it shows. I’m doing calorie counting because SW etc has never worked for me - as soon as I’m told I can’t have something I want it!
I started with Noom about six weeks ago and I’ve lost about seven pounds which is good but slow. Their advice that you should weigh yourself every day has definitely been getting me down though and I don’t want to that anymore.
Getting my hair done today and hopefully my nails done soon so hopefully that will make me feel like a new woman! My self esteem has massively plummeted since gaining weight and I want my old spark back.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Hi everyone, first time posting on here. I have at least two stone and a half stone that I need to lose after gaining it through lockdown depression eating. Overall I just feel like crap and it shows. I’m doing calorie counting because SW etc has never worked for me - as soon as I’m told I can’t have something I want it!
I started with Noom about six weeks ago and I’ve lost about seven pounds which is good but slow. Their advice that you should weigh yourself every day has definitely been getting me down though and I don’t want to that anymore.
Getting my hair done today and hopefully my nails done soon so hopefully that will make me feel like a new woman! My self esteem has massively plummeted since gaining weight and I want my old spark back.
I’m surprised that’s their advice! I was interested in Noom but just stuck to calorie counting. I always thought that weighing every day wasn’t advised (not that it stopped me from doing it!)

Reactions: 2
3 days in and I've stuck to my calories, not ate the best nutritionally but with work being busy and stressful I'm proud I haven't binged and thought "let's start tomorrow"

Haven't hit my steps, done around 7-8k a day so I'm getting there. Think I need a walk before work but it's too easy to stay in bed and run to my laptop 1 minute before starting

Hope everyone is well!

• Heart
Some interesting stats from this article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitness/body/stop-midlife-spread-30s-40s-50s-beyond/

'Scientists from the University of California looked at the BMI of 65,000 people in four separate studies going back to before 1905 to see how weight has changed over the years – and found that this generation is getting wider, younger. For people born between 1955 and 1959, for example, the average 20something BMI was 24.4, which is a healthy weight. But for people born between 1980 and 1984, the scientists found they were, on average, a healthy weight as teens, but overweight in their 20s and obese in their 30s.

Dr Giles Yeo, principal research associate at the MRC Metabolic Diseases Unit, University of Cambridge, claims that this generational increase in weight gain has nothing to do with genetics. “Our genes have not changed from 1905 until now,” says Yeo. “The changes are driven ultimately from the environment – our lifestyle, socioeconomic factors and the food environment.

“This is not a straightforward calorie issue. Records show we ate more in the past, but the types of food we’re eating now are very different and this affects the way we absorb calories.”

Cost of food is also a factor. “Teenagers have always been energetic and a bottomless pit when it comes to eating, but they’re now able to buy cheaper food, which is often ultra-processed” – such as fast food, crisps or chocolate. “And if you end up with obesity when you’re young, the likelihood of keeping the weight gain is high.”'
In the past most of our calories were nutrional and we burnt it with manual labour and less
I’m surprised that’s their advice! I was interested in Noom but just stuck to calorie counting. I always thought that weighing every day wasn’t advised (not that it stopped me from doing it!)
I would have agreed a few years ago but I have never been so in tune with my body and it all started with weighing myself everyday, diarising how I felt and other random stuff. After 2 months a pattern emerged that has really helped me manage myself physically and emotionally. I would actually recommend all women do atleast 2 months of weighing everyday and noting things about their body and mental health. One of the things I've noticed is that I get 'wobbly knee' just before my weight goes up, interestingly there is a lot of work being done with female athletes and their cycle and one of the things they have found is that women are more likely to be injured at certain times in their cycle due to their ligaments becoming more stretchy. Slightly off topic but really worth doing just for the understanding. We really don't know enough about our bodies

Reactions: 5
In the past most of our calories were nutrional and we burnt it with manual labour and less

I would have agreed a few years ago but I have never been so in tune with my body and it all started with weighing myself everyday, diarising how I felt and other random stuff. After 2 months a pattern emerged that has really helped me manage myself physically and emotionally. I would actually recommend all women do atleast 2 months of weighing everyday and noting things about their body and mental health. One of the things I've noticed is that I get 'wobbly knee' just before my weight goes up, interestingly there is a lot of work being done with female athletes and their cycle and one of the things they have found is that women are more likely to be injured at certain times in their cycle due to their ligaments becoming more stretchy. Slightly off topic but really worth doing just for the understanding. We really don't know enough about our bodies
That's really interesting, thank you.

I am scared of weighing daily as I used to have very disordered eating and I'm scared of going down that route

Just signed up for preece nutrition, fed up of feeling like I'm not getting anywhere!

Last edited:
3 days into the body coach app and all going well, really enjoying the food so that’s the main thing lol.

ive decided that I just can’t with the hiit training though haha, it knackers my knees and ankles, I’m going to stick to doing hiits on the peloton instead 😂 I did a 45 minute tabata today and nearly died

Reactions: 7
I did a cheeky midweek weigh this morning as I had a whole 2 days of good CICO so far 😂 scales were dead on 78kg so only 0.1kg off my mini goal and then it's on to the next kg to lose. I'll see where the scales are on Friday but it'd be nice to hit that target so fingers crossed I don't get any weird fluctuations or anything.

• Heart
Second run today, and really enjoyed it!!
We've been set homework to do (a 20min walk) before our next session on Sunday, and I'm actually feeling hopeful and like I'll stick this out.

After tracking calories for 3 weeks I've stopped for no reason, so back to it tomorrow.

My meals are fine, it is my snacks and random bites that are the problem.
I think I need to plan my snacking, so I can make good choices.

Reactions: 13
Second run today, and really enjoyed it!!
We've been set homework to do (a 20min walk) before our next session on Sunday, and I'm actually feeling hopefully and like I'll stick this out.

After tracking calories for 3 weeks I've stopped for no reason, so back to it tomorrow.

My meals are fine, it is my snacks and random bites that are the problem.
I think I need to plan my snacking, so I can make good choices.
I’ve found that having lots of 100 calorie (ish) snacks means I can keep my sweet tooth and along with balanced meals I can keep to 1500-1600 calories a day. Things like penguin biscuit, iced gems, club biscuits help keep me motivated.

Reactions: 8
Two days in and I’ve stuck to it. I managed to avoid the Pringles that my boyfriend had this evening! I had one and that’s it! I’d have had half a tube a few days ago.

What do people do about the calories you earn back by exercising? Mine is linked to my Apple Watch so automatically tracks them. I’ve been sticking to my recommended and not using the extra calories.

• Heart
Thank you so much to everyone that took the time out to reply. I really appreciate it.
Sorry its taken a while to post, work has been a frickin nightmare.. Apologies for the post, its a bit embarrassing reading it back. I think I've calmed down a bit 😦
I'm reading up on calorie counting, I've never tried to do it before.
I'm out of the house from 7am-7pm Mon - Fri and on my feet all day apart from an hour in the car for travelling at the start and end of the day. I usually do about 8-10,000 steps a day and between 15/20 flights of stairs so although I'm moving quite a bit my eating has not been good.
I think I need to look at portion sizes too...
Thank you again, there are some really useful words of advice x

• Heart
Reactions: 8
What do people do about the calories you earn back by exercising? Mine is linked to my Apple Watch so automatically tracks them. I’ve been sticking to my recommended and not using the extra calories.
Yep I do the same. I know the calories burned isn’t always accurate so never eat them back, the only time I would was if it was a weekend and I had earned 500cals or more over my deficit target and fancied a treat.

Another morning weigh not much change on the scales.
Yesterday I went 300 cals over had fish and chips evening and a beer.
Husband was off yesterday so managed my usual long 3miles dog walk and felt so much better for it.
Cant walk dog until until teen is back from school as toddler won't walk far.
I will still with it and hope gym next week in 81kg.
If not maybe have decrease my cals or do workouts.

Reactions: 5
I dropped to 77.9kg on the scales this morning so I hit my mini goal 🥳 I'm close to being a stone down since January too. I'll weigh tomorrow as it's official weigh day but then try to avoid scales for a few days as I don't want to get back into bad habits of weighing everyday and not seeing a consistent downward trend.

Today is going to be a difficult one. I'm bloody knackered as I didn't sleep very well and work is really full on at the moment so I'm going to try my best to not overeat and stick within calories but flipping heck it's hard when all you want to do is go home and have a pizza in front of the telly 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
That's really interesting, thank you.

I am scared of weighing daily as I used to have very disordered eating and I'm scared of going down that route

Just signed up for preece nutrition, fed up of feeling like I'm not getting anywhere!
At first I didn’t mind the daily weigh-ins, and I understand the logic that it makes you aware of small daily fluctuations, but personally I found that since I had to do it first thing in the morning before eating and drinking (as recommended by Noom) my weight was the first thing I had to think about every day and it got my day off to a bad start if I wasn’t happy with what was on the scales. I wouldn’t discourage anyone from weighing daily if it works for them, but personally it gets me down and makes me overly fixate on my weight.
My biggest problem at the moment is late night eating - I do really well until about 9pm and then after that, all bets are off. The simplest solution is to go to bed earlier but I’ve definitely found that insomnia is a problem during lockdown as I’m not getting as tired as I normally would. Hopefully when the gyms reopen in Scotland next week I can knacker myself! 😂

I'm really struggling to get into the right mindset. I find calorie counting hard with home cooking. I've put on 5lb over the last few months, I want to loose 8lb to get me to 12st and then aim for 11st7

I dropped to 77.9kg on the scales this morning so I hit my mini goal 🥳 I'm close to being a stone down since January too. I'll weigh tomorrow as it's official weigh day but then try to avoid scales for a few days as I don't want to get back into bad habits of weighing everyday and not seeing a consistent downward trend.

Today is going to be a difficult one. I'm bloody knackered as I didn't sleep very well and work is really full on at the moment so I'm going to try my best to not overeat and stick within calories but flipping heck it's hard when all you want to do is go home and have a pizza in front of the telly 😂
Congrats thats fab news great see it budge downwards.
Weight can fluctuate so much its best not weigh daily i just can't help myself.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.