Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Fifah1907

VIP Member
I'm rewatching and tbh I don't think Tom comes across that well. Yes he has his moments, cared for Mika and Chlo etc but he has multiple romances that overlap, was homophobic to his own son, and comes across as pretty grumpy/surly the majority of the time. He was really horrible to Lorna in series 1/2! Good character though, don't get me wrong.
This might not make sense but I’m gonna say it anyway 😂 I feel like when he has his good moment they’re very good but then when he has the bad moments they’re really bad? Like the peaks and troughs are very extreme? Which in turn makes the good things seem….better

Reactions: 4

MsGilmore

VIP Member
It feels like a very slow season

I think my main problem is that the writers/producers appear to be underestimating their audience a bit. Secondary school kids can engage with multiple storylines at once, including one overarching one. The way they have formatted this hasn’t made me care for any of the characters at all and I constantly roll my eyes at how obvious some of the messaging/conversations are
I agree. I think the original series was more authentic. There’s a lot of box ticking in the new series. Although I can’t remember if racism, for example, was addressed in the past series.
Angela Griffin stands out a mile because she is the only decent actor now. There’s a few nepo babies in this series and I don’t rate them!

Reactions: 3

Kay's Good Cooking

Chatty Member
Finished all 7 episodes

Was expecting a main character death/return - guess we already had both in the first two episodes. Wonder if Kim will return as headteacher. Valerie, probably the most off-screen of all the teachers, now has the knife... so I guess that's not the last we've seen of Danny, whose character I do like tbh

Whole Preston and Kai thing was also quite predictable

Overall, I really enjoyed the block of episodes (much more than I enjoyed anything post-Rochdale, bar a few good storylines set in Scotland)

user12342626367374

Chatty Member
One thing I did like about the Scotland era is that the storylines were more developed and could grow over multiple episodes/series. The storylines with Christine and Connor Mulgrew and his girlfriend (Imogen) spring to mind.

Towards the end of the Rochdale era, it all became very ‘social issue of the week’ or ‘problem student of the episode’ where everything became very self-contained. Kids or issues would appear and be resolved in 60 minutes, only to completely vanish by the following week.
Loved Christine hated Conor and Imogen.

And I get what you’re saying it did always seem like people would appear for one episode, that seemed quite a lot of Rochdale cause I remember there were quite a few when Rachel Mason was head.

Snoopy_988

I've just finished watching episode 2 gotta say I'm not impressed so far, will give it one more episode and if I'm still not feeling it won't bother to watch the rest. Definitely not the same as the old Waterloo Road here.

user12342626367374

Chatty Member
Ahhh I love waterloo road it's so nostalgic

I'm currently rewatching it all in preparation for the new series, I'm on series 9 now and even though when I first watched the scotland episodes when they were on TV it was clearly incredibly downhill compared to the early episodes i'm not finding it too bad now this is only my second time watching anything past season 7- i'm just treating it like a different show and embracing how far fetched and unrealistic it is

I will say this is my first rewatch the whole way through as an adult and my opinion on a lot of characters has changed, I'm excited for the new series and I do think Kim is an iconic and great character but WOW she was awful when she came back after she first left
That’s how i looked at the Scotland episodes, when you don’t compare it’s not too bad, although season 10.5 was awful I will say that.

SophJohns

The younger kids in the cast may not be on Instagram due to choice/age etc.
Without a doubt, was meant to mention that in my post as well. Even if they do have instagram they're far more likely to be private/older cast members not following.

Just want them to announce the full cast now! I'm pretty sure they've started filming now, so hopefully won't be to long.

fudgebox

VIP Member
The Kellys but Barry Barry always made me laugh and how the name Barry Barry sounds in the Liverpudlian accent 😆

• Haha

thegreencow

VIP Member
Adam Thomas said there's an announcement tomorrow at 10am. My money is on a Mika return or Izzie casting announcement.