Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone out there do a nice canned veggie chilli? Was buying the Amy’s kitchen one when on offer but can’t see it anymore. It was good for a very quick meal, with yogurt, grated cheese and chopped tomatoes on top. Served with plain tortilla chips.
I do quite often make my own and freeze it in portions.

I’ve seen a recipe at Framed Cooks for a hot dog chilli casserole which looks easy to veg’ise with the many meat free hot dogs out there. It needs flour tortillas, canned chilli and cheese.
I think asda do one. There's also a couple of frozen options. Green cuisine and sanaburys plant pioneers do bags of chilli you can microwave.

This one https://groceries.asda.com/product/...t-based-smoky-three-bean-chilli/1000136120642

I think asda do one. There's also a couple of frozen options. Green cuisine and sanaburys plant pioneers do bags of chilli you can microwave.
Thank you. I saw that Sainsbury’s do one and then I found these this via Amazon, have to order 12 though. Lots of supermarkets do the meat version.
DA47312A-B5B6-4A0F-B7A4-A40983E57C08.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Does anyone out there do a nice canned veggie chilli? Was buying the Amy’s kitchen one when on offer but can’t see it anymore. It was good for a very quick meal, with yogurt, grated cheese and chopped tomatoes on top. Served with plain tortilla chips.
I do quite often make my own and freeze it in portions.

I’ve seen a recipe at Framed Cooks for a hot dog chilli casserole which looks easy to veg’ise with the many meat free hot dogs out there. It needs flour tortillas, canned chilli and cheese.
I really like this canned one from Tesco. I sometimes dump a can in the instant pot/rice cooker with rice, nutritional yeast and corn for a very quick and lazy meal. Tesco's three bean chilli soup is also surprisingly flavourful for a ready-made soup and freezes well too.

Attachments

Reactions: 4
Wicked Kitchen now do Nooch! I've tried the Garlic & Herb one and it was 10/10.

1622161066147.png

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I’ve just picked up Vegan fizzy pineapple sweets in Aldi. They are similar to the candy kittens packaging, they are delicious! There were watermelon and strawberry ones too 😋

I’ve just picked up Vegan fizzy pineapple sweets in Aldi. They are similar to the candy kittens packaging, they are delicious! There were watermelon and strawberry ones too 😋
Oh I had the strawberry ones at the weekend and they’re lovely!!!!

Husband and just tried out some of the current vegan options at gbk and they were fab. We shared the beyond burger and the no chick burger.

I tried the fish free goujons from M&S - not sure I'd buy again. They were decent enough, but the taste was very similar to bread.

Forgot - also tried the vegan strawberry cheesecake from M&S as well. Delicous! Definitely recommend!

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
Could anyone recommend the best mince? My 10 year old has decided to go vegetarian and we’re doing it all together to support him. Not a fan of Quorn mince. I like Vivera but it’s too expensive to feed 4. What’s the Meatless Farm one like?
Just to add that you don't need to use meat "alternatives", lentils are a great option (brown, green, puy etc) and usually far cheaper.

Taifun tofu is very well seasoned, I also love the wild garlic one, "tofu rosso" and the smoked with sesame seeds and almonds. The smoked with sesame seeds and almonds has lovely texture, and it's really nicely smoked. You can just slice it up and have it in a sandwich instead of ham ☺
I tried their basil one, they have a really nice texture, a bit like Tofoo in they don't seem to need pressing/freezing. The only tofu that I just can not get on with is silken, I've tried scrambling it, a few Japanese recipes where it's served cold... but nope!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Could anyone recommend the best mince? My 10 year old has decided to go vegetarian and we’re doing it all together to support him. Not a fan of Quorn mince. I like Vivera but it’s too expensive to feed 4. What’s the Meatless Farm one like?
We use own brand soya mince, less than £2 a pack or green lentils

• Heart
Reactions: 1
For non "meat alternatives" for mince I would echo the lentil suggestion. We often have it with walnuts roughly chopped to create a bit of extra texture for the mince. Similar idea with mushrooms and walnuts.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
For non "meat alternatives" for mince I would echo the lentil suggestion. We often have it with walnuts roughly chopped to create a bit of extra texture for the mince. Similar idea with mushrooms and walnuts.
Another suggestion is a mix of chestnuts and mushrooms (Merchant Gourmet do handy packs of pre-cooked chestnuts). I just roughly pulse the two together in my food processor and add it to passata with some dried herbs, balsamic vinegar, paprika, etc. and it makes a lovely sauce with good texture.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.